The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014

4 posters

Go down

FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014 Empty FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014

Post by Fernando Thu 30 Jan 2014 - 14:20

The FIA is reportedly unhappy with some of the nose solutions that are currently collecting test laps at Jerez.
Germany's Sport Bild reported on Thursday that a major row is brewing in southern Spain, after top teams Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull unveiled cars with mainly conventional low noses for the new season.

But other teams, notably Force India and Toro Rosso and co, have been attracting phallic descriptions of their 'anteater' thin noses.
Those with the more conventional noses argue that, while the thin noses may comply with the letter of the regulations, they pose a spear-like danger to rival cars in collisions.

Sport Bild said the top three teams want the FIA to re-write the rules to disallow the thin noses on safety grounds.
But the publication said it knows that FIA president Jean Todt is preparing to take the small teams' side.
Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, on the other hand, said the governing body has launched an investigation, aiming to conclude whether some teams have "gone too far" with their 2014 noses.

And the report said even the low-nosed Red Bull and Mercedes teams are being put under the microscope, since the very tips of the noses are almost paper-thin, with the actual crash structure located much further back -- and higher, contrary to the intention of the new rules.
"This fills the letter but not the spirit of the regulations," an FIA source was quoted as saying.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014 Empty Re: FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 31 Jan 2014 - 17:39

Hah! Laugh

Finally, we see designs so ridiculous that even the normally-passive FIA can't stomach them.

On a serious note I see they're objecting on the grounds of safety, rather than aesthetics.

Depending on just how strong those tips / tusks are, I would have thought they'd be more likely to break off, than penetrate too far into another car. I would have thought that, as long as the noses still crumple in a way that reduces damage to other cars, with the driver still protected by the survival cell, they should be okay.

That said, I don't think many of us will be sorry to see some of these designs go, if it is deemed changes are necessary.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014 Empty Re: FIA Unhappy with Nose Solutions for 2014

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jan 2014 - 21:34

Actually I quite like the assortment of different nose designs. It gives each car their own character and prevents each from appearing like a clone so to speak. Also it allows for some creativity from aerodynamicists allowing precious time to be gained with a canny design that breaks the mould.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 1 Feb 2014 - 22:19

Fernando wrote:Those with the more conventional noses argue that, while the thin noses may comply with the letter of the regulations, they pose a spear-like danger to rival cars in collisions.
Wacky races! If it is in the regulations I don't see the problem. They are probably more worried that it maybe a good idea and they didn't think of it.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down