The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen?

+22
flankertye
chewed_mintie
HammerofThunor
crichards
tecphobe
RDSguru
jimbopip
englandglory4ever
westisbest
GunsGerms
KiaRose
Notch
BlueMuff
VinceP
Cowshot
mystiroakey
Feckless Rogue
Shifty
RubyGuby
thebandwagonsociety
Rugby Fan
hbk48942
26 posters

Go down

What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen? Empty What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen?

Post by hbk48942 Tue 4 Feb - 19:14

can be any match.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen? Empty Re: What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen?

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 4 Feb - 20:50

The match that springs to mind recently is a one I still can't bring myself to watch again: the second Lions Test against South Africa in 2009.

As an England supporter, there are plenty of matches I've been thrilled or horrified to watch my own team play but that game had passion and drama in spades.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen? Empty Re: What is the Best match of Rugby Union you have seen?

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 4 Feb - 22:52

Such a tough thing to judge as it can be so emotive. I've been to 3 fantastic games in the last while and I couldn't pick between them.
1) Ireland v New Zealand 2013: Crushing result but a fabulous game to be at.
2) Ireland v Wales 2009: Grand Slam sat in the second last row behind the goals for the last kick.
3) Leinster v Northamption (HC Final): Just the swing in emotion, getting slagged by the Saints fans around me at half time and then going mental in the second half as Leinster just blew them away.

But it was the emotion in those games that put them into the Best category for me. It's just 'more' everything when you are invested into the game 100%.

A lot of other games tend to be more remembering highlights and snippets after years. Trevor Brennan being a demented flanker for Leinster, moments of genius by BOD, McFadden being an emergency winger against Racing years back but then getting the ball at the end of the game and torching his opposite number for pace (just came out of no where). Random long runs by tight five players out of the blue (Malcolm O'Kelly, Devin Toner, Nathan White) but I could hardly tell details of the games themselves.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 7 Feb - 16:08

I was at the Baa Baas v New Zealand game in 1973 as a 10 year old. I remember Edwards running passed us in the first 2 mins. for that amazing try. Little did I know that history was unfolding right in front of my eyes.  thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 7 Feb - 17:42

Hard to say I've seen some crackers, and some very funny moments.

Overall probably it was in 2004 when Wales beat Japan 98-0. It's very rare to see something like that.

Though last week I was at the Ospreys V Sale match that finished 37-36, which was special.

Then again in January I was at Aberavon to see them beat Bridgend and Gala at home, and both games were won in injury time with long distance penalties from the side of the pitch.

I've seen a lot of exciting games over the years.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 8 Feb - 13:32

Toulouse v Leinster 2006.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 18 Feb - 16:18

hbk48942 wrote:can be any match.

2003 final off course.

but from a neutral perspective as that is less biased.

the SA v NZ game was hard to beat last year

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 21 Feb - 0:35

England winning the World Cup. One of the most dramatic games ever. Perhaps THE most dramatic. If not that then it was the White Auks in Orcland. Smile (probably "better".)

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceP Fri 21 Feb - 8:42

Hi.
Quins pipping Wasps 42-40 in 2012 double-header at Twickenham
And, of course England winning WCF.
I also remember Barbarians v NZ in '73. That was the game that got me into rugby...

VP

VinceP

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 21 Feb - 10:47

Munster v Wasps Landsdowne Road 2004 - Munster 32 Wasps 37. Even though we lost I remember been blown away by this game that had everything.

Toulouse 25 v Munster 31

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Feb - 10:50

Ulster 33-27 Stade Francais, 1999
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 21 Feb - 17:47

I can't remember the score - I could look it up, but it doesn't really matter what the exact score was.

1973 Ireland v England.

In 1972 the IRA threatened to attack Scotland or Wales if they travelled to play Ireland in Lansdowne Road. Ireland beat France and England away so that this was our best chance at a championship and GS since before I was born. Neither Wales nor Scotland came. We didn't win our GS or 5N championship.

In 1973 the same threats were made against England. They chose to ignore them. They travelled over on the morning of the game and intended to return to safety immediately after it.

The reality is that Ireland blew England away that day, but that was not what made it memorable. It was the welcome which the Irish fans gave the England team that day which was truly marvellous. All this stuff about the Celts "hating" the English (see interview with Tom Wood in today's Times) simply did not exist that day. We cheered an England team onto and off the pitch. I think we would not have minded if they had won ...

They did not return home immediately after the game. They stayed for the after match dinner (had to hire DJs for the occasion). John Pullin was the England Captain and it has oft been reported that he said in his speech at the dinner
"Well, we may not be very good, but at least we turn up".

That was a special game.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 24 Feb - 11:43

BlueMuff wrote:Munster v Wasps Landsdowne Road 2004 - Munster 32 Wasps 37. Even though we lost I remember been blown away by this game that had everything.

Toulouse 25 v Munster 31

Munster v Wasps was probably the best game I have seen too.

Ireland v Australia 1991
Leinster v Northampton HC final
Ireland v England Croke Park

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Feb - 15:24

RubyGuby wrote:I was at the Baa Baas v New Zealand game in 1973 as a 10 year old. I remember Edwards running passed us in the first 2 mins. for that amazing try. Little did I know that history was unfolding right in front of my eyes.  thumbsup 

I was at that match as a 31 year old.  It was a fantastic running game, though I tend to agree with the New Zealand skipper who said afterwards that the Baa-Baas had pulled the wool over the All Blacks' eyes!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 24 Feb - 21:30

Was at Twickenham for the Powergen cup final in 2002.

Was a great result for Irish.

Very enjoyable game.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 3 Mar - 19:01

England v Ireland 2014 was an exceptionally absorbing match. Low on scoring but high on intensity and tension. Two evenly matched teams.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 3 Mar - 19:29

I was at the Millennium Stadium for the Wales -Scotland 6 Nations when Tom Evans had his career ending neck break. I've never seen Scotland totally outplay and dominate a match like that. Dan Parks had the game of his life including catching a clearance kick just inside his half, taking two steps and then dropping a goal. Parks was taken off and Shane Williams single handedly changed the game and scored the winning points, and set a Welsh try scoring record, in stoppage time by which time Scotland had only 13 players on the pitch. I have never seen such an enthralling contest and if you haven't seen it scour You Tube until you do.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Sat 8 Mar - 13:45

New Zealand vs Wales 2003 RWC

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Thu 13 Mar - 12:34

England v Ireland 2006 an absolutely Pulsating game of rugby

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by crichards Mon 28 Apr - 22:34

5 November 1985 - Llanelli 31 - Fiji 28. Llanelli were 28 - 10 down at half time and were outplayed by some brilliant Fijian handling. The second half was a complete turn around. Llanelli played some of the finest counter attacking rugby I have ever seen. Obviously, I'm remembering this through the rose tinted specs of an 11 year old but seeing Gary Pearce, Lawrence Delaney, Phil May and the rest of the team left an unforgettable mark on me. I had a video of the game for years - complete with David Parry Jones commentary. Comparing the game now with then, it seems that whilst the standard is obviously better today, rugby has lost much of it's romance. It's not all about winning, it's about flair, intelligence and artistry - all those virtues that Carwyn James spoke so passionately about. That's what fires the imagination of the fans, that's what flaps a butterfly's wings in the belly of an 11 year old. Seeing your idol do things no other player can do. Players like Jonathan Davies, Gareth Edwards or David Duckham light up a game. These are the players children want to emulate and I remember 30 fabulous players explaining with every dummy, side step and miss-pass how rugby should be played to an 11 year old back on the 5 November 1985.

crichards

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 29 Apr - 0:11

Always difficult to define 'best'. But the game that had the biggest physical effect on me was the second Harlequins v Stade Francais in 2008(?). When Evans knocked the drop goal over my heart was racing so badly I thought I was having an attack. My dad and nan had come to visit and we had gone out for tea, so were watching a recording. My dad doesn't even watch rugby but was on the edge of his seat. I'm not sure why I was so bothered, not even a Quins fan.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 30 Apr - 13:41

Best - Australia v NZ 2000, Sydney. World record crowd (107,000), blistering start (NZ up 24-0 inside 8 mins), great comeback, score too-ing and fro-ing until a final nailbiting, twinkle-toed dash down the sideline by Jonah to win the match

Next Best - SA v NZ 2013, J'burg. Utterly relentless pace, probably the quickest match I have ever seen. End to end with little pause in between, plus some fantastic individual performances on both sides.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat 3 May - 15:02

In terms of utter drama and tension, RWC Final 2007.
In terms of brilliant rugby, last years South Africa VS New Zealand.
Brutal and fast paced game.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by alkmaar67 Sun 18 May - 13:31

Has to be France - New Zealand in the 99 Rugby World Cup semi when Lamaison gave an exhibition in fly-half play and les Bleus came from behind.

The recent South Africa - NZ game in The Rugby Championship comes pretty close though!
alkmaar67
alkmaar67

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 20 May - 17:34

alkmaar67 wrote:Has to be France - New Zealand in the 99 Rugby World Cup semi when Lamaison gave an exhibition in fly-half play and les Bleus came from behind.

Nightmares to this day. Still can't believe it happened even after they ran up the white flag twice for Lomu. They capitulated quicker than 1939, but still came out with a win. From a NZ perspective, our forward pack was relatively poor at the time and Taine Randall a weak captain. Lots of complaints about french players doing the biting/gouging/testicle squeezing shenanigans but he didn't act on it - contrast a week later to John Eales (fine captain) who told the ref in the final, "sort it or we walk off the pitch" or words to that effect.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 20 May - 18:07

chewed_mintie wrote:
alkmaar67 wrote:Has to be France - New Zealand in the 99 Rugby World Cup semi when Lamaison gave an exhibition in fly-half play and les Bleus came from behind.

Nightmares to this day.  Still can't believe it happened even after they ran up the white flag twice for Lomu.  They capitulated quicker than 1939, but still came out with a win.  From a NZ perspective, our forward pack was relatively poor at the time and Taine Randall a weak captain.  Lots of complaints about french players doing the biting/gouging/testicle squeezing shenanigans but he didn't act on it - contrast a week later to John Eales (fine captain) who told the ref in the final, "sort it or we walk off the pitch" or words to that effect.

oh no...it was the cheating french....  Doh 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 20 May - 20:03

ME-109 wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:

Nightmares to this day.  Still can't believe it happened even after they ran up the white flag twice for Lomu.  They capitulated quicker than 1939, but still came out with a win.  From a NZ perspective, our forward pack was relatively poor at the time and Taine Randall a weak captain.  Lots of complaints about french players doing the biting/gouging/testicle squeezing shenanigans but he didn't act on it - contrast a week later to John Eales (fine captain) who told the ref in the final, "sort it or we walk off the pitch" or words to that effect.

Umm, no I don't think I said that. They beat us and it was a hell of a game, the greatest comeback of them all. But, our forward pack was weak and didn't deal with their dark arts like AB forward packs would of in the past.

Please don't make stuff up!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 20 May - 20:06

chewed_mintie wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:

Umm, no I don't think I said that.  They beat us and it was a hell of a game, the greatest comeback of them all.  But, our forward pack was weak and didn't deal with their dark arts like AB forward packs would of in the past.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 20 May - 20:28

ME-109 wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:

Umm, no I don't think I said that.  They beat us and it was a hell of a game, the greatest comeback of them all.  But, our forward pack was weak and didn't deal with their dark arts like AB forward packs would of in the past.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

"Early in the second half against the French, the All Blacks were 24-10 up. Then a combination of factors got them.

The French got dirty, eye gouging All Blacks on more than one occasion. The All Blacks were under orders to keep their dukes down despite the provocation and leave justice to be handed out by the officials.

Had they blown up, it might have brought the nasty stuff into the open and, instead of fanning the flames, snuffed it out."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10745258

"MacQueen was not going to change his approach in finals week.  All it required was focus and for his players to remain on the alert, especially after the All Blacks accused the French of biting, head butting, eye gouging and even grabbing their testicles during the World Cup semi-final.  The French were widely condemned for their behaviour, but the matter was further inflamed when their tight-head prop Franck Tournaire miraculously escaped suspension after clearly biting the face All Blacks captain Taine Randell"

Excerpt from Inside the Wallabies: The Real Story by Greg Growden

"The Wallabies kept their cool even when the French resorted to the sour tactics of eye-gouging Eales and kicking flanker David Wilson in the mouth."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/sport-old/wallabies-on-top-of-the-world-in-1999/story-fn8x8unf-1226058233971

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 20 May - 22:28

Oh cry your eyes out mate....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedragon Fri 4 Jul - 23:03

I always seem to miss the great ones and go to the rubbish games........... mind I support cardiff Blues so..............

Bluedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 16 Jul - 16:47

I don't know how anyone can say the best ever match. Ones that stick out are the 10-9 win for Wales against England in 1993, and the 1999 Wales-England game. Then again that 30-3 win was pretty special as well.

Then again over the years I have been too and enjoyed some great matches, probably the funniest thing I have seen was Kenfig Hill against Aberavon Quins where Aberavon kicked off and the ball didnt quite go 10 metres, so their coach shouted out "leave it boys", where upon their whole team parted like the red sea, for the Kenfig Hill full back to catch the ball on the full and run through the clear space right under the posts. There was a huge pause and a big silence then their coach shouts "not like that you fing muppets"!!!
the crowd were on their knees crying in laughter.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 25 Jul - 11:09

Best one I saw was probably the NZ Ireland game last year. Saw Eales kick to win the 00 Bledisloe-another great game.

I agree with Mintie in that France were dirty as anything in that game but I was disappointed the NZ pack were so passive. They didn't have an intimidating edge from 98-04 and frankly I would have liked to see retaliation. Randall should have gone up to the ref and said "If you don't sort it out we will". Frankly a card might have been worth it to let them know they weren't on top physically. It may not have made a blind bit of difference-those French tries came from p*ss poor defence on kicks-we didn't help ourselves there-and an outrageous bounce or two. S**t happens in rugby and you can't do anything but shrug your shoulders at Dominici's try. But the NZ pack meekly took what France threw at them and that wasn't acceptable in most Kiwis' eyes. Kudos to Eales and the Wallabies for how they handled it the week after.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down