The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is best match of Snooker you have seen?

+3
Hibbz
88Chris05
hbk48942
7 posters

Go down

What is best match of Snooker you have seen? Empty What is best match of Snooker you have seen?

Post by hbk48942 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 7:23 pm

can be any match.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

What is best match of Snooker you have seen? Empty Re: What is best match of Snooker you have seen?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

My personal favourite was the 2004 Masters final. Paul Hunter 10-9 Ronnie O'Sullivan. Watching the Masters just a few weeks back, it gave me a little chill for a moment or so to think that a whole decade has gone by since.

Most 10-9s are exciting. Even more so if they're in a major final. But the standard of play from both men was outrageous for the most part. O'Sullivan was 6-2 up after the first session, playing with the same fluidity, focus and confidence that saw him dominate the World Championships later that year. In the six frames he won, he reeled off five breaks of 80 or higher, as well as a 50-odd if I recall. Pretty sure that Hunter made two centuries for the two frames he won, as well.

O'Sullivan won the first of the evening session as well - I think Hunter's pot success rate was at something like 94% at this stage, and yet he was 7-2 down!

Hunter played some incredible snooker to drag himself back in to the match - three more century breaks as well as another 80-odd - and obviously ended up completing an amazing comeback to win the match 10-9.

I was just in awe of both of them, really. The afternoon was O'Sullivan at his very best; so smooth, making it look ridiculously easy etc. But Hunter was absolutely incredible in the evening. It wasn't just that he was scoring so heavily - it was the way he was playing under the pressure. Some of the long balls he knocked in, often simply to pot his way out of trouble following a good safety from O'Sullivan, were sublime. On the rare occasions he lost position, he backed himself just about every time to pull off a risky pot to keep a break going rather than roll down to the other end of the table and put a baulk colour safe - and his nerve held out then, as well.

I just loved how laid back and relaxed he looked, despite the massive lead O'Sullivan had over him. Hunter was playing even quicker in the balls than O'Sullivan. I remember it also being one of the rare times when O'Sullivan has given a really warm congratulations to someone who has beaten him and seemed genuinely happy for them, too.

Sorry, I'm waffling. Best match I've seen first-hand.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

What is best match of Snooker you have seen? Empty Re: What is best match of Snooker you have seen?

Post by Hibbz Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm

Best match I can remember from tele was Williams 10 v 9 Hendry in the 1998 Masters final.

Best match live was Higgins 10 v 9 O'Sullivan in the 2006 masters final.

Mate and I had been to both semi finals and noticed during the first frame of the first semi that that there were a few spare seats in prime location and moved in. I'm telling you these seats were bang inline behind the table, were twice as wide as the standard and had double the cushions. Like sitting on a throne. It worked for every session but come the final session of the final we figured it might be a bit risky so took our allotted seats way back. We'd ended up sat next to an Irish couple who'd adopted a similar practice during previous matches. During the first frame of the final session we noticed the seats were free so having spotted the Irish moving in for the kill after the first frame we piled in. Fantastic match in fantastic luxury.

You can have that for your journal if you like..........

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Mon 10 Feb 2014, 7:01 pm

The Hendry-OSullivan Charity challenge from 1997 wasn't too shabby.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

I played in the best game I've ever seen. Cracking game of doubles with me and my day's mate, Big Ross against my dad and his other mate, Jim. Reeled off a couple of quickish frames (the bar was quiet so drinks interruptions were at a minimum) with honours even going into the third frane and both teams having sank 5 pints and enjoying top breaks of 12 and 9 respectively. After a protracted safety battle, me and my partner pulled clear on the colours after the 7th pint started to show its effects on my dad's mate and he potted the white on 3 consecutive shots. That put us 2-1 up in the best of 5 match. The 4th frame descended into chaos as the 9th pints started to affect our vision and the toilet breaks became more frequent. After 40 minutes played and the scores tied at 5-5 the game was cried off due to adverse conditions (the bar was closing).

The tension had clearly got to me as I proceeded to throw up my Guinness all over the street.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sat 23 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm

Williams-Lawler : Surely a candidate for worst televised match ever. 6 frames have been played (3-3) but feels like 16. The cameras have spotted 2 audience members asleep and the commentators are doing their best to blame the humidity. I'm not so sure.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 27 Aug 2014, 11:53 am

Williams Hendry 98 was the first one I got goosebumps for. I know he won the world title the next year but that would be difficult for Steven to forget OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

Ding v Trump in the world championship

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down