The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocking Sacking At Swansea

+10
Jimmy Moz
Hibbz
NickisBHAFC
CFCNick
Dolphin Ziggler
mystiroakey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
guildfordbat
hampo17
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shocking Sacking At Swansea - Page 2 Empty Shocking Sacking At Swansea

Post by hampo17 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

By Joshua Pearce

Swansea City have sacked their Danish boss Michael Laudrup after 600 days and 84 matches in charge, making him the seventh Premier League manager to leave this season.

The rather surprising dismissal came only a day after Swansea's chairman, Huw Jenkins, had profoundly denied any rumours of discussion surrounding Laudrup's future at the club. The current club captain, Garry Monk, who is in his tenth year of service at the club, has been given the reins temporarily; including for this weekend's south Wales derby against rivals Cardiff City.

Truth be told it has been a rather difficult second season for Laudrup in charge of Swansea. His first season in charge, by contrast, saw Swansea finish 9th in the Premier League, which was gladly accompanied by silverware in the cabinet; namely the Carling Cup which was Swansea City's first ever major trophy. That ensured a gateway to Europe in the form of the Europa League; although you could argue that the Europa League is more of a curse than a blessing.

The second season had been less joyous for Laudrup and Swansea. Any chance of repeated success in the Carling Cup was dashed at the first hurdle by Championship side Birmingham City, who triumphed 3-1. The league has proven a tougher task as well; at the time of writing, Swansea currently stand only two points above the perilous drop zone and with a mere six wins all season. This fall in league form may be explained away by the hindrance of the Europa League and having to play Thursday-Sunday on some weeks. Newcastle are a very good example of this in recent time. Indeed, Swansea have only been victorious on two occasions out of nine in direct succession to a Europa League game.

However, despite the slightly off-colour nature of Swansea's league form, it is thought by most pundits and fans that Swansea will still be in the Premier League next season. They have the necessary quality that some teams below them may lack to see off any possible risk of relegation this season. And that is why the sacking is particularly surprising. A period of transition and upheaval now will do little to help Swansea's stability - both on and off the pitch - and if there's one thing you need to ensure the quality of your squad gets played out to the highest potential on the pitch, it's stability.

Regarding the transfer market, Laudrup will probably be best remembered for his signing of Michu in the summer of 2012. The Spaniard, who endeared himself to many fantasy football players, netted 18 goals in his first season in the Premier League - not bad for a player who cost a couple of million, eh? Particularly when you factor in the over-inflated nature of today's footballing transfer market. Other signings made during that summer who have also bedded in nicely at the club include midfielder Pablo Hernandez and defender Chico Flores.

As the commercial revenues of Swansea City Football Club expanded, so to did the ambition of the club under their manager. In July 2013, Laudrup broke the club record signing fee to sign Wilfred Bony for £12 million; he has scored seven goals in twenty appearances this season. Preceding that was the acquisition of Jonjo Shelvey for £5 million. Adding to that, the midfielder Jonathan De Guzman has been on loan at Swansea for two seasons making 57 appearances - a good signing no doubt helped by Laudrup's links to the player.

But for all his good signings, his Carling Cup success and a top ten finish in the Premier League, it is all over for Michael Laudrup at Swansea. Six defeats in his last eight league games, whilst only two points clear of the drop, is what his critics will point to; those who champion the Dane will refer to his previous successes, the fact that Swansea remain in the FA Cup and Europa League this season, and that the Swans remain relatively untroubled by relegation at this point, no matter what the points tally says.

The question now turns to the matter of Laudrup's permanent successor. Garry Monk, who as previously mentioned is taking charge for the foreseeable future, is the betting favourite to take full charge, his lack of coaching experience seemingly no barrier to a full-time appointment. Marcelo Bielsa, who has a managerial career spanning two decades largely in Spain and South America, including the Argentine national team for six years, is also one of the front-runners. Notable outsiders include Glenn Hoddle, who does seem keen for a return to the dugout, and Dennis Bergkamp, who was linked to the post when Brendan Rodgers left.

It was probably not the end that Laudrup, or indeed Swansea supporters, would have anticipated during the open-top bus parade following the Carling Cup success or while basking in the aftermath of a top-half finish last summer. But it has happened and now Swansea will look ahead to the future...again, for this will be Swansea's fifth different manager in five years.

Upheaval, it seems, is something that they're used to. Whether they will continue to rise, like Southampton have done, or fall, like Charlton, is another matter entirely.

http://v2journal.com/22/post/2014/02/shocking-sacking-at-swansea.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shocking Sacking At Swansea - Page 2 Empty Re: Shocking Sacking At Swansea

Post by Duty281 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:41 pm

Soooo....I started with Swansea and, in one page, we've gone through hockey, golf, outbursts, favourite Englishman, anyone but England, Ireland in USA 94, the 1966 World Cup final, the 2011 Rugby World cup semi-final and...have I missed anything!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 06 Feb 2014, 7:03 pm

Is Hockey that game the girls play at school? Why would anyone want to read about that.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

Suprising or shocking to evryone outside of Swansea. Inevitable to those in the local area. The abject performace at West ham being the catalyst to ML going. From what i've gathered off Swans fans I know, He was a great coach on the training ground but distant to the players off it and not a man manager at all. Turning up in the changing room 5 mins before k.o and dissapearing straight afterwards.
Quite loose with the spainish players he brought in in regards to turing up late for training, their diets (which led to the Flores bust up as he was partial coco pops and orange juice) much to the nutrionists disgust. Plus some of his selections and buys were baffling. Vasquez, Ngog and the persistence with Tiendeli who couldnt cross water nevermind a ball.
Anyhoo..Monks bought some time with the great win over cardiff but will is he good enough to distance the Swans from a relegation scrap? He's played under Jackett, Martinez,Sousa,Rodgers then Laudrup so he's picked up some vast knowledge of coaching. Time will tell as its anyone from 20th to 10th in the PL who can go down this year...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:I love people supporting "anyone but England".

It's rather pathetic and amusing in equal gesture. Pathetic that people like Steffan spout their typical rubbish (as previously said, I would love it if all the Home Nations made the World Cup), and amusing that some people care so much about the English football team, despite disliking them, that they'll support whoever England play.

Jealously. Bless.
Why jealously?

Im not jealous of England. Sure I wish Wales would actually qualify once in a while but im not jealous of England. Wales could be the best team in the world and England the worst and id still cheer on your opponents. Its nothing to do with jealousy. Its to do with a team that is supported by a horrible set of fans and a horrible media constantly harping on about '1966' and England being 'Mighty World Beaters'

Even when we had a Team GB in 2012 you English moaned about a Welshman being captain and the Welsh players not singing the English national anthem

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

Stop generalising Steffan - it shows a lack of intelligence, and really doesn't put you in a good light.

Are you saying all English fans are a horrible bunch? The ones praised for their good behaviour at the last two World Cups and two European Championships that England have participated in...that horrible bunch?

The English fans, and media for that matter, who, for the most part, are quite negative these days?

And England doesn't have a national anthem. If you're referring to God Save the Queen, the British national anthem, then I think the biggest concern was that a few Welsh idiots, a minority, would boo the anthem and thus cast the Olympics in a negative light.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 15 Feb 2014, 8:47 pm

Duty281 wrote:Soooo....I started with Swansea and, in one page, we've gone through hockey, golf, outbursts, favourite Englishman, anyone but England, Ireland in USA 94, the 1966 World Cup final, the 2011 Rugby World cup semi-final and...have I missed anything!

Ah. Great memories.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

Duty281 wrote:And England doesn't have a national anthem. If you're referring to God Save the Queen, the British national anthem, then I think the biggest concern was that a few Welsh idiots, a minority, would boo the anthem and thus cast the Olympics in a negative light
Which they never did you forgot to add

And British anthem or not...God Save the Queen is an outdated song about a concept and a woman that not many people other than tourists care about and the only people that embrace it are imperialists living in the past wishing that that British Empire still existed or under-educated loyalists looking to wind up Republicans. All the English (which is what they class themselves as by the way) I know cant stand the anthem and Welsh players along with any other Team GB player was well within they're right not to sing it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 2:41 pm

westisbest wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Soooo....I started with Swansea and, in one page, we've gone through hockey, golf, outbursts, favourite Englishman, anyone but England, Ireland in USA 94, the 1966 World Cup final, the 2011 Rugby World cup semi-final and...have I missed anything!
Ah. Great memories.
Yeah I remember cheering them on and all the BBC and ITV plus the papers were hating it seeing them do so well and that England hadnt got there making it even sweeter

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

Steffan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:And England doesn't have a national anthem. If you're referring to God Save the Queen, the British national anthem, then I think the biggest concern was that a few Welsh idiots, a minority, would boo the anthem and thus cast the Olympics in a negative light

No they didn't.

I think the concern came about because of the antics of some Welsh fans when England visited in 2011 and the anthem was booed. Some organisers/media thought it may be repeated.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

No they didn't.

I think the concern came about because of the antics of some Welsh fans when England visited in 2011 and the anthem was booed. Some organisers/media thought it may be repeated.
Yes the anthem was booed badly during the England visit and it was the time before that (a game I was at) but to be fair England fans booed 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau' in the return fixture at Wembley and in Old Trafford so it wasnt just one way but both teams have sets of idiots that are just as bad each other

As far as im aware not many Welsh fans were at the Olympic game anyway as like myself they would not touch Team GB football with a 10 foot barge pole

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

No they didn't.

Yes the anthem was booed badly during the England visit and it was the time before that (a game I was at) but to be fair England fans booed 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau' in the return fixture at Wembley and in Old Trafford so it wasnt just one way but both teams have sets of idiots that are just as bad each other

As far as im aware not many Welsh fans were at the Olympic game anyway as like myself they would not touch Team GB football with a 10 foot barge pole

Very true.

I don't think many England fans would have touched it with a barge pole either! Football has no place at the Olympics.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

Duty281 wrote:I don't think many England fans would have touched it with a barge pole either! Football has no place at the Olympics
Glad we finally agree on something  Hug

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 8:42 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I don't think many England fans would have touched it with a barge pole either! Football has no place at the Olympics
Glad we finally agree on something  Hug
That makes 3 of us fellas  Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2