The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

+17
Sangakkara
sirfredperry
VTR
Hoggy_Bear
skyeman
KP_fan
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mike Selig
Pal Joey
Gerry SA
Duty281
kingraf
Biltong
21 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion - Page 5 Empty South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

Post by msp83 Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

So the much anticipated series is getting underway tomorrow. South Africa, the number 1 side in the world, will be taking on a confident Australia. South Africa have enjoyed a solid stay at the top of the test rankings, for a year and a half, and the Australians are coming into this series after Thumping, Pulverizing, Thrashing, Humiliating and destroying England 5-0 in the recently concluded Ashes series.
Both sides have quality bowling units, and 4 of the top 5 ranked bowlers will be battling it out, and cricinfo points out, that doesn't even include Mitchell Johnson!. And Morne Morkel as well.
Australia are likely to go in with Shaun Marsh and Alex Doolan for the injured Shane Watson and the dropped George Bailey, the rest of their Ashes winning side should stay the same.
South Africa are likely to bring in one of Ryan McLaren and Wayne Parnell, and move Faf du Plessis to 4, as they contemplate life after Kallis. JP Duminy has some injury concerns going into the match, but he is likely to play.

msp83

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion - Page 5 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:50 am

As Len Goodman would say sevennnnnn for MJ.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion - Page 5 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia, First Test, Centurion

Post by alfie Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:52 am

De Villiers rather threw it away in the end...wasn't really there for that shot...but actually good deception from Johnson ; nice variation  clap "

Barring a 47 all out , SA should be chasing (four or five hundred ?) some time tomorrow afternoon... Actually not sure Australia will get that huge a lead ; but they will want as many as they can get...all out now , seven for Johnson  clap 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:54 am

SA 206. 191 behind and not much rest for the bowlers. Warner could soon tee off with such a big lead already.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:01 am

Wish I was seeing this Mitchell Johnson steam train again. Work is rubbish

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 am

A lethally comprehensive 17.1 overs from Johnson. 2nd best ever bowling figures on this ground.  clap 

If they had been skittled for under 150 runs or so I would have loved to have seen SA follow on.

As it stands, a 191 run lead is a fantastic position to be in after barely 2 days play. They'll want to get it up well over 450 you'd think but as Alfie says - anything can happen.

Not sure SA can get as much out of the pitch as Mitch does. That doesn't mean Australia won't lose early wickets. Pity about Morne, I thought he always looked difficult to play before he got his injury.

The onus will be on Steyn and Philander to perform... only takes a couple of balls and Australia could be reeling again. Maybe time for Warner and Rogers to try and settle in more this time. See off the new ball and try and establish a decent opening partnership.

Already unpredictable bounce there....

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 am

Steyn gets Rogers to drag on. The Steyn and MJ show. Aus 1/1.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am

See...  Smile 

Poor play from Rogers. He could have left that. Bit off balance too as if he didn't know where his stumps were.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:11 am

Poor Test for Rogers. Could he not have played like this for the previous five Tests Wink 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 am

He's sort of gone into his shell, Skye.
They say he is a very relaxed bloke but I must say he looks worried out there.... probably thinking too far ahead? It's affecting his form.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 am

Turns out Dale Steyn bowls better when he doesn't have the galloping trots.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am

He does seem very pumped.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:43 am

Test batsmen have been in a comfort zone for too long, facing less-than-outright-pace bowlers on bland pitches. Mitchell is cleaning up but he's not really meeting enough resistance. Would have liked to see his duel with AB go on a bit longer. High-class stuff.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 am

Even with the loss of Rogers, Australia's session. From their position last night, South Africa woud have been hoping to get lunch with one or maybe even two wickets left in the tank. Johnson's masterclass put an end to that (as on the other thread). As we have come to expect, Lyon didn't steal the headlines but still took another useful wicket - a canny foil to his seamers.

Still not quite all over but South Africa will almost certainly need to dismiss Australia for less than 200 second time round to stand any realistic chance. Even then, a couple of South African batsmen will need to rise to the occasion. Once more, looking good for linebreaker and his chums ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 am

So Australia one down early but a big lead...wonder how many is too many for SA to chase ; how many will Clarke want ; and how many will they get ...could be three different figures ?

Given SA record of good fourth innings ,and the amount of time left in the game ,  I think he will want close to 500. Which is probably way more than he needs ; but why do your opponent any favours ? If Warner , say , gets going they could achieve that and still have four and a half sessions to bowl...
But I have a hunch it won't be that easy.  Not that it will matter if Johnson does a number on SA again in the second innings.
Interesting session coming up after lunch ...

Last edited by alfie on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 am

I don't think it will so easy for SA to chase anything near 500... let alone 350 runs on this pitch the way MJ (together with Sidds, Ryano and Gary) is bowling.

As a unit, the Australians are far better prepared for this match and in red hot form with the ball and in the field especially.
I don't think SA thought it would be so hostile. It's a huge step up from what they faced recently against India.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:11 am

sirfredperry wrote:Good point, Alfie. Wonder if the Test batsmen of late have had it a tad easy compared with days of yore when many sides, including thos in English county cricket, had a "fast and nasty" in their side.
  Some of the 1980s county matches were a real test of courage with the likes of Sylv Clarke, Marshall, Daniel, Croft, Garner and co around.
  Loved to have seen the likes of Roy Fredericks or Alvin K taking on Johnson. Doubt if they would have been ducking and weaving.

Sylv Clarle played a few seasons for Surrey in the 1980s. He is reckoned by many to have been the fastest to ever bowl at the Oval.

Sadly he died very young although crammed a lot into a life lived to the full. Each year he is remembered by the Club with an annual award being given for the greatest single highlight of the season, called the Sylvester Clarke Large Rum Moment.  Sad Smile 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am

Linebreaker wrote:I don't think SA thought it would be so hostile.

I think you are right there, they seem to have really underestimated this one. They should have watched the Ashes really!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 am

Linebreaker wrote:I don't think it will so easy for SA to chase anything near 500... let alone 350 runs on this pitch the way MJ (together with Sidds, Ryano and Gary) is bowling.

As a unit, the Australians are far better prepared for this match and in red hot form with the ball and in the field especially.
I don't think SA thought it would be so hostile. It's a huge step up from what they faced recently against India.

Completely agree. That's where I was coming from with a target of 400 tops.

Sure it should be obvious but ... Gary??

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 am

Garry Lyon... ex-AFL player now football pundit. Nathan Lyons' nickname over here.  Smile (sorry, I spelt Garry with only 1 'r')

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 am

Perhaps they underestimated a little. More likely they just weren't quite prepared in practice : you might have a fair idea what is coming ; but actually playing it is another matter ! I fancy they may handle it better as the series progresses ; but it is never going to be easy for them.
What may change is the SA bowling (fitness permitting ?) I thought they were a bit flat at times on the first day - which they quite often are at the start of a series , for some reason. This innings may give us a clue , even if they are unable to get right back into this match...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 am

Is Gary a nickname for Lyon lol

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:24 am

What about the Foxsports ad they had on here in the lead-up to this series, alfie?

Sort of cheeky but maybe it's true.  Wink 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:25 am

skyeman wrote:Is Gary a nickname for Lyon lol

Yes, but Garry with 2 rs... or Gazza. lol x2

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:25 am

guildfordbat wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:Good point, Alfie. Wonder if the Test batsmen of late have had it a tad easy compared with days of yore when many sides, including thos in English county cricket, had a "fast and nasty" in their side.
  Some of the 1980s county matches were a real test of courage with the likes of Sylv Clarke, Marshall, Daniel, Croft, Garner and co around.
  Loved to have seen the likes of Roy Fredericks or Alvin K taking on Johnson. Doubt if they would have been ducking and weaving.

Sylv Clarle played a few seasons for Surrey in the 1980s. He is reckoned by many to have been the fastest to ever bowl at the Oval.

Sadly he died very young although crammed a lot into a life lived to the full. Each year he is remembered by the Club with an annual award being given for the greatest single highlight of the season, called the Sylvester Clarke Large Rum Moment.  Sad Smile 

Very much like your stories and reminisces Gb.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:26 am

Linebreaker wrote:What about the Foxsports ad they had on here in the lead-up to this series, alfie?

Believe it or not , lb , I didn't really notice any ads leading up ...I am very good at tuning out of advertisements ...quite the despair of marketing types .

What was in it ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:33 am

Warner dropped, ouch. Should have been taken then four balls later dropped again in the slips.

Destined for a biggie?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 am

alfie wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:What about the Foxsports ad they had on here in the lead-up to this series, alfie?

Believe it or not , lb , I didn't really notice any ads leading up ...I am very good at tuning out of advertisements ...quite the despair of marketing types .

What was in it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4676pimPwk

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 am

Linebreaker wrote:Garry Lyon... ex-AFL player now football pundit. Nathan Lyons' nickname over here.  Smile (sorry, I spelt Garry with only 1 'r')

Thanks, Linebreaker. I wouldn't have got that one!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 am

Warner dropped twice ? Seems like what happened in the Ashes all over again - second innings , Aussies tee off , fielding slips ...bowkers despair ...game races away...

I know SA have great resilience. But I suspect this one is going in one direction from here.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks for that , lb.

Yeah , bit cheeky. Typical though  Smile 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:46 am

alfie wrote:Thanks for that , lb.

Yeah , bit cheeky. Typical though  Smile 

"... but don't we play Australia next?"  Laugh 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 am

Downton off to SA to poach Lehmann Very Happy 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am

"Like I said, it's as good as a holiday...  "

What Skye? Lehmann is contracted to the end of 2018. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Gosh, how ragged SA look in the field. There's nothing like being 250 behind with nine wickets still to take, eh? Cook having a little chuckle down on his farm, praps?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Would anyone like a Warner type player has an England opener who could be out quickly, but can also have a big pay-off. He still aves 40 let's not forget.

If Aus are 150/3 heads will drop just waiting for the inevitable.

And if MJ bags a few second time round will SA show more spunk than England did for the following Test at the thought of having to face him again? Or is he just too good at the moment.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Difficult chance, but Warner dropped again. This time by Smith in the slips.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:33 pm

skyeman wrote:Would anyone like a Warner type player has an England opener who could be out quickly, but can also have a big pay-off.  He still aves 40 let's not forget.

Yes please. Tresco was in a similar mould, we really miss someone like that at the top of the innings

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Doolan looks nicely compact. Struggled to score a bit at the start, but hardly needed with Warner going how he was. Gutsed it out, and now scoring more freely off Peterson.

Maybe this Aussie side isn't that bad?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:39 pm

VTR wrote:
skyeman wrote:Would anyone like a Warner type player has an England opener who could be out quickly, but can also have a big pay-off.  He still aves 40 let's not forget.

Yes please. Tresco was in a similar mould, we really miss someone like that at the top of the innings

Same here. I thoght Carberry was going to be in that vain. But he was slower than Compton at times. Even when MJ went off.

SA very sloppy in the field.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:42 pm

They are still a work in progress, Mike.

Certainly heading in the right direction these last few months. A lot more enjoyable to watch as well!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Doolan does look the part. If he gets some runs i still expect Watson to come back in for his extra bowling option, but it will be tough on Doolan only for a wee while.

Or with MJ and his form, do they need the extra bowling option.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Good exposure for him at this level. He looks the part. He models himself on Punter (actually has shadowed him in the Tigers/Canes scene for the last few years) so we can probably expect the same true grit and determination as he develops his game in the coming years.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Australia's session comprehensively.

South Africa finding out how hard it can be when your spinner(s) don't provide any control. Also, they haven't done themselves any favours with 3 dropped chances (one regulation, one very tough, one which probably should be taken).

Warner has done as Warner does - he's the type of player you can definitely afford when you're playing well, when you're playing badly he becomes a bit of a luxury, but I'd still want him in my team.

Philander has looked strangely off colour for me.

Doolan I like the look of. Still early days, but compact, hits the ball nicely, and has a decent range of shots.

Not sure how Doolan and Marsh's first class averages are quite so low - they both look much (as in 10 to 15 runs more) better than that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm

skyeman wrote:Doolan does look the part. If he gets some runs i still expect Watson to come back in for his extra bowling option, but it will be tough on Doolan only for a wee while.

I don't believe there's an overwhelming need to bring Watson back. Sure, you don't want to overbowl the seamers but I don't see an issue in giving the ball more to Lyon who is increasingly showing his reliability.

Hardly saw anthing of that middle session but seems to have been typical Warner and a solid effort from Doolan. Australia massively in control ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Speculation on Sky (the tv channel, not our poster) that, if Warner can bat for another hour, Australia might declare tonight and give South Africa a few overs.

Even if Warner does go on, I think that's a bit unlikely (I'm a captaincy scaredy cat who would worry about the likes of Amla and Smith producing heroics) but wouldn't completely rule it out ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:30 pm

This seems awfully familar - Australia upsetting the odds, and running away with the game in the second innings.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
skyeman wrote:Doolan does look the part. If he gets some runs i still expect Watson to come back in for his extra bowling option, but it will be tough on Doolan only for a wee while.

I don't believe there's an overwhelming need to bring Watson back. Sure, you don't want to overbowl the seamers but I don't see an issue in giving the ball more to Lyon who is increasingly showing his reliability.

Hardly saw anthing of that middle session but seems to have been typical Warner and a solid effort from Doolan. Australia massively in control ....

It worked well for England for a few years playing just the four when Swann was at his best, so why not.

Lyon, i agree does have the control to be able to do so but i feel Lehmann likes Watson in the side and won't want the rebellious Watson in the dressing room having been left out. Or can Lehmann now show the ruthless Aus mentality of old and be bold.

Who would want to be a coach? Not me for sure.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Australia's session comprehensively.

South Africa finding out how hard it can be when your spinner(s) don't provide any control. Also, they haven't done themselves any favours with 3 dropped chances (one regulation, one very tough, one which probably should be taken).

Warner has done as Warner does - he's the type of player you can definitely afford when you're playing well, when you're playing badly he becomes a bit of a luxury, but I'd still want him in my team.

Philander has looked strangely off colour for me.

Doolan I like the look of. Still early days, but compact, hits the ball nicely, and has a decent range of shots.

Not sure how Doolan and Marsh's first class averages are quite so low - they both look much (as in 10 to 15 runs more) better than that.

Maybe they are much improved cricketers suddenly but this seems to be a theme with the whole aussie camp recently.
Marshs previous test appearances have hardly suggested hes the new Tendulkar have they.

I have no idea what Lehman has them on but it appears to be turd polish.
Hes managed to get Johnson to bowl straight 6 tests in a row now. Spud Smith and Rogers to look like test cricketers. Warners on course for his third century in his last 4 tests...hes only had 10 in 44 first class games!
Harriss has stayed fit even.

Its all a bit sinister when you consider this is not a vastly different team to that which came to england last summer.
I guess it highlights how important mood and psychology is especially in test cricket ... and perhaps why England want to get their dressing room sorted out.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Speculation on Sky (the tv channel, not our poster) that, if Warner can bat for another hour, Australia might declare tonight and give South Africa a few overs.

Even if Warner does go on, I think that's a bit unlikely (I'm a captaincy scaredy cat who would worry about the likes of Amla and Smith producing heroics) but wouldn't completely rule it out ....

Pulverise your opponent i say. Should be nearly 500 ahead by close of play and then go wild for 40 minutes tomorrow thus giving SA zero chance even if they bat for five and a half sessions.

Especially with the weather set fair.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Doolan makes his first test fifty.

That hit a crack. Warner's OK as it pitched outside leg (good decision from Aleem Dar), but would have been lethal to a right hander. Hard to see how South Africa can chase too many TBH. This is not going to get any easier: Lyon, Siddle and Johnson all like up and down wickets.

Next ball Warner creams it through extra-cover to bring up his century, with his now usual celebration.

England fans I'm sure can sympathise with SA - looking familiar.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next