South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town Empty South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

So, a decider at Cape Town where, I gather, big crowds are expected. The only bad thing about this match is that it's the last in the series. This really would have made for a great 5-Test series.

Difficult to call this one. SA did wonderfully to come back at PE after the drubbing in the 1st Test. Much will depend on who bats first. Could be that the team that bats first will win the match. Interesting sidebar is the form of Clarke, who (I think) has not passed 24 in the last five tests. Until PE, they were winning without his contributions, but he may well be needed in Cape Town.

Who am I going for? Almost too close to call. Who are you going for?

South Africa:
GC Smith*, AN Petersen, D Elgar, HM Amla, AB de Villiers†, F du Plessis, JP Duminy, KJ Abbott, VD Philander, DW Steyn, M Morkel

Australia:
DA Warner, CJL Rogers, SR Watson, AJ Doolan, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, BJ Haddin†, MG Johnson, RJ Harris, JL Pattinson, NM Lyon

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town Empty Re: South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by skyeman on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 3:25 pm

David Warner fined for his latest comment. Faf was caught on tape rubbing the ball against his zip, no smoke without fire ?

Gonna be worth watching for sure!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town Empty Re: South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by kingraf on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm

maybe you're right, Skye - David Warner does seem like Nostradumus himself - predicting That Trott had scared eyes a day before Trott went home... Predicting we had squad members on the back foot the week Tahir was dropped from the squad. Predicting that Australia would thrash England... hell if you look at it from a neutral perspective - you could say get predicted Root had an attitude problem seven months before he was dropped because of it..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 7:24 pm

kingraf wrote:maybe you're right, Skye - David Warner does seem like Nostradumus himself - predicting That Trott had scared eyes a day before Trott went home... Predicting we had squad members on the back foot the week Tahir was dropped from the squad. Predicting that Australia would thrash England... hell if you look at it from a neutral perspective - you could say get predicted Root had an attitude problem seven months before he was dropped because of it..

Warner seems better at predictions to me. At least he is not open to misinterpretations unlike the renowned/maligned seer.  Laugh

Should add a little more spice to an already eagerly awaited climax. Can't wait.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 7:29 pm

skyeman wrote:David Warner fined for his latest comment. Faf was caught on tape rubbing the ball against his zip, no smoke without fire ?

not the 1st time that's happened..

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 7:32 pm

Hopefully Abbott gets the nod over Kleinveldt. 

Also I'd bring Alviro back in at the expense of de Kock.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

CF wrote:
skyeman wrote:David Warner fined for his latest comment. Faf was caught on tape rubbing the ball against his zip, no smoke without fire ?

not the 1st time that's happened..

Aye, all teams do it to some extent. Dirt, grease, bottle tops, throwing but at least some tried to hide it.  Laugh

But to then deny doing it  Laugh  Laugh

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 8:01 pm

Dean Elgar had his best test match so far in his career in the last game, and he has gone on record that he's most comfortable opening. Petersen has been far too inconsistent at the top, and he is not really a middle order player. Besides, Quinton de Kock is a young star in the making, he was a bit too much of nerves, now that that first game is out of the way, he may just find a better frame of mind. They should stick with him at 6.
Kleinveldt hasn't impressed me from whatever international cricket I followed him playing. Abbott sounds a better bet.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm

Agree with MSP

My selection for the test will be.

Smith
Elgar
Amla
Du Plessis
De Cilliers
De Kock
Duminy
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
Abbott
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 9:39 pm

Biltong wrote:Agree with MSP

My selection for the test will be.

Smith
Elgar
Amla
Du Plessis
De Cilliers
De Kock
Duminy
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
Abbott

Yep, that;s the SA team i expect.

And for Aus:

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Marsh
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Although i would not be surprised if they include Pattinson at anothers expense.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm

If Peterson is for he will play.

Batting wise the team will be the same Peterson will replace de Kock and Elgar drops to 6.

Hopefully Abbott starts he is in top form. Kleinveldt has nope impressed and is coming back from injury.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 11:39 pm

sirfredperry wrote:
Who am I going for? Almost too close to call. Who are you going for?

Back to Sir Fred's bottom line question.

Australia did incredibly well in thrashing England in five Tests on the bounce and then South Africa in the first of this series. However, I suspect they will now find it harder to regain momentum having been decisively beaten by South Africa last time out. South Africa should be buoyed by not just that victory but by knowing they achieving it with a bowler missing much of the match. Add to that a gut feeling that Smith will come good with the bat and it's South Africa for me.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 8:13 am

My prediction. Whoever wins the toss will bat, be in a spot of early bother, will recover to around 350 or 400 all out and the side batting second won't match this and will trail throughout.
Now the tricky part. Just who will win the toss? If I had to put money on the winners I would put it on SA....just.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 10:11 am

Shane Watson is most likely to come back, and comeback as an all-rounder who bats 6. So One of Marsh and Doolan will have to bat 3. Doolan was the one holding the position. But after an impressive first test, he looked way out of his depth in the 2nd game. Have the South Africans worked him out? Or it was just a bad game? His FC record has always been a concern, he did nothing to address those concerns in the last game. Marsh being a bit more experienced, and having batted at 3 previously in tests, I think he should be given another opportunity at 3.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:02 am

Alviro Petersen will resume the opening batting berth, with Dean Elgar moving down to 6.

The correct decision. Quinton de Kock hardly made a case not to be dropped.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

Suppose that is reasonable. But I did think Elgar looked much happier opening so in a way it is a pity he has to be bumped back to six so quickly.

If SA win the toss I would be very confident of a home win . If the Australians get in first though Steyn & co will need to be on the ball from the start ; as Australia have been very good at defending even modest totals recently. Looking forward to a great match...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

I tend to agree with Guildford - SA seem to be on an upward trend, full of confidence and fired up by Warner's silly remarks. They'll probably win the toss again too...

Australia worry me. They were hopelessly frustrating to watch in that last match and seem to be on the back foot - mentally. We'll need big performances from a few players to have any chance. It's time Clarke's fortunes turned around... his recent form with the bat has been pretty poor.
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 1:17 pm

SA has a better record batting second at Newlands, so I am not so sure batting first is the be all and end all.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 5:24 pm

Graeme Smith "Warner should be renamed rentaquote"  Very Happy  Or Nostradamus Wink

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Alviro Petersen will resume the opening batting berth, with Dean Elgar moving down to 6.

The correct decision. Quinton de Kock hardly made a case not to be dropped.

how ridiclous! One game he got, and it was debut...grow up, he needs a run in the side!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 5:42 pm

why would he need a run in the side? had an extremely poor first class run this year, while Alvi averaged over 50 vs India. Quinton is hardly demanding a slot in the national test side. Temba Bavuma has outshone him quite starkly in the Lions upper order, while there really are at least half a dozen guys above him in the national reckoning.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 5:55 pm

Honestly - beyond excited for this Test. Probably the most important one since re- admission... and possibly the most important ever. A chance to beat the old enemy on home ground for the first time in 40-plus years. Sold out crowd, a rampant bowling unit, and very hungry opposition.

I know this is a little left field, but can Michael Clarke survive being the first Australian captain to lose a series in South Africa since pre-Kerry Packer?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 5:58 pm

My pre first Test prediction was 2-1 SA.

I will wait until after Saturdays stumps now Wink

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:06 pm

kingraf wrote:Honestly - beyond excited for this Test. Probably the most important one since re- admission... and possibly the most important ever. A chance to beat the old enemy on home ground for the first time in 40-plus years. Sold out crowd, a rampant bowling unit, and very hungry opposition.

I know this is a little left field, but can Michael Clarke survive being the first Australian captain to lose a series in South Africa since pre-Kerry Packer?

It seems every team wants to be the "old enemy" now. Fair enough.
(and surely SA have beaten Australia since 1937... the year Packer was born?)  Whistle 

Clarke still has quite a few credits left I'd say. Some impatient people do turn on him quickly but he'll be captain for a little while yet.

Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 5:30 am

Should probably have added "world series'' for clarification. Interesting enough, I meant the "old enemy" comment in a very one way manner. Australia obviously sees the ashes, as the primary target, and by extension, England is your old enemy. but for us, outside of beating New Zealand in the rugby, I don't think anything tops beating Australia in cricket.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 7:16 am

Only pulling your leg about the Kerry Packer remark, mate. History could indeed be made if we lose this match.

It's an honour to be considered the "old enemy" by SA.
In a way, our contests are on another level (in a purely physical sense) to the Australia v England ones.

The word is that Alex Doolan may in fact keep his spot at No.3 with Watson batting at 6. There was footage of Shaun Marsh being consoled by John Inverarity in the nets yesterday. (unless he was being patted on the back for something else... SM looked pretty down)
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 7:54 am

Looks like i called one right for a change. Talk of Pattinson in for Siddle. I thought it might be Harris, whom i felt looked the least likely to get wkts last game.

But he played well here last time, so fair enough.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:04 am

Aus win the toss and will bat.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:07 am

Oh! Doolan stays, Marsh out and Watson in.

Pattinson in for Siddle.

Petersen and Abbot in for SA.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:11 am

watson and pattinson in for marsh and siddle....weakens Australia.
Marsh a better batsman and siddle a better bowler than their replacements
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:16 am

Pattinson hasn't played a Test since the Oval but hopefully he will get into the swing of things. Sidds needed a rest and would prefer to risk Harris' dodgy knees.

Sorry to see young QdK miss out and Alviro Petersen back in. I'm sure most SA fans will be happy to see Abbott re-selected for this match.
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:26 am

Happy for Abbot, Petersen better perform in this match
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:27 am

KP_fan wrote:watson and pattinson in for marsh and siddle....weakens Australia.
Marsh a better batsman and siddle a better bowler than their replacements

Thought it might be Doolan instead of Marsh.

But Watson will be like two for one and Pattinson will be fresh and tearing in.

Strengthens Aus imo.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

Not sure it weakens Australia. Marsh on his day does brilliantly...but he makes a lot of ducks...

They will miss Siddle if Pattinson isn't quite back in the groove. Will be hoping Harris stands up.

SA as expected. Australia win an important toss. Might be crucial...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:47 am

Rapid start for Aus. Not much movement thus far.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:52 am

Morkel 150kph 2nd ball.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:57 am

Blimey, it's like a T20 start.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:06 am

The Australian openers running away with it, 47 without loss at better than a-run-a-ball.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:14 am

50 partnership in the tenth over  clap 

Can't have happened too often at the start of a Test.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:14 am

Great start for Australia. Steyn not on the money this morning . Bit surprised.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:32 am

But Steyn comes back to get the break on the hour...SA needed that.

Looks a good batting pitch.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:41 am

Abbot bowling too leg side here.

Peculiar start from SA . Look a bit flat ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

Warner with another blistering 50  clap Over 300 runs and counting this eries.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:49 am

Warner is like Sehwag.....can make good bowling look ordinary.
he has to go on.....from here get a hundred and then turn it into a BIG hundred
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:55 am

Doolan on the other hand struggling to get started. Off the mark now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

Warner may be an annoying mouthy so and so that you really want to see knocked down by a bouncer (well I would if I had to bowl to him  Smile : and I reckon most fast bowlers would feel the same ) but he can bat ; in the best tradition of aggressive openers...has given Australia a fine start here.
And to think they messed around trying bat him down the order just a few months ago !

Australia building a strong position here. Not sure how much Johnson & co will be able to get out of this track ; but if they can run up 400 then SA will have a big task to get back in the game.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:20 am

Get Warner out and we'll skittle the rest under 250. 

Bowling has been pretty shoddy and Warner's enjoying the dead pitch.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

while the likes of warner and sehwag and gilchrist are on song....the pitch seems to have a diffrent color.

SA need to take out warner......if he doubles his score......he will put the game beyond SA.

an when one batter is flowing like Warner...the one at the other end can play himself in easily.

I am already seeing some balls keeping low and reverse in the air only 25 over old ball.

there will be a result and SA should aim to keep Aus under 325
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:28 am

KP_fan wrote:while the likes of warner and sehwag and gilchrist are on song....the pitch seems to have a diffrent color.

SA need to take out warner......if he doubles his score......he will put the game beyond SA
Even if Warner gets 150, the rest don't look like getting 200 between them...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:29 am

Gerry SA wrote:Get Warner out and we'll skittle the rest under 250. 

Bowling has been pretty shoddy and Warner's enjoying the dead pitch.

Not bowling like this you won't.

100 + at lunch one down...flat pitch ...and a couple of handy players to come in later : Clarke overdue for a big score...

I think SA might have an uneasy luncheon.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum