The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

+12
Duty281
KP_fan
kingraf
Pal Joey
alfie
guildfordbat
MMaaxx
Biltong
msp83
Gerry SA
skyeman
sirfredperry
16 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town - Page 6 Empty South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by sirfredperry Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 am

First topic message reminder :

So, a decider at Cape Town where, I gather, big crowds are expected. The only bad thing about this match is that it's the last in the series. This really would have made for a great 5-Test series.

Difficult to call this one. SA did wonderfully to come back at PE after the drubbing in the 1st Test. Much will depend on who bats first. Could be that the team that bats first will win the match. Interesting sidebar is the form of Clarke, who (I think) has not passed 24 in the last five tests. Until PE, they were winning without his contributions, but he may well be needed in Cape Town.

Who am I going for? Almost too close to call. Who are you going for?

South Africa:
GC Smith*, AN Petersen, D Elgar, HM Amla, AB de Villiers†, F du Plessis, JP Duminy, KJ Abbott, VD Philander, DW Steyn, M Morkel

Australia:
DA Warner, CJL Rogers, SR Watson, AJ Doolan, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, BJ Haddin†, MG Johnson, RJ Harris, JL Pattinson, NM Lyon

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town - Page 6 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
skyeman wrote:The Aus team of recent times have seen of KP, Swann Flower and now Smith.

Is that a coincidence.

... and you can probably add Trott, Prior, Kallis (too scared to even face up - he knows what Smith knows but at least Graeme had the balls to give it one last shot), Root (cotton-wooled v Aus), Tremlett, Finn (not worth the risk). Quite a substantial list of players falling by the wayside there. The last few are obviously not in the same class of KP, Kallis, etc... but are casualties nonetheless.

Common denominator?  Terror (sic) Australis.
Well, I don't think the current India, Pakistan, NZ and WI line-ups could wreak so much havoc to both England and SA in under 3 months.

Hats off to our players. clap clap
An almost perfect summer... now only a few brilliant early autumn days to go.  

We are lucky to have such a thoroughly ruthless and dedicated group. Obviously a lot hungrier than England were and more than SA are this series.
Of course they had to feel the pain themselves but thankfully this bunch of players under Darren Lehmann is now starting to bear some fruit.

I'll now sit back and quietly wait for alfie to douse my enthusiasm - not that I particularly agree with many of his current views anyway.  Wink 
Just balancing the ledger of commentary on here. KP_f is pretty much spot on and I agree 100% with his very accurate reading of events.

You'll keep , Linebreaker  Smile 

alfie

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town - Page 6 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 pm

alfie wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
skyeman wrote:The Aus team of recent times have seen of KP, Swann Flower and now Smith.

Is that a coincidence.

... and you can probably add Trott, Prior, Kallis (too scared to even face up - he knows what Smith knows but at least Graeme had the balls to give it one last shot), Root (cotton-wooled v Aus), Tremlett, Finn (not worth the risk). Quite a substantial list of players falling by the wayside there. The last few are obviously not in the same class of KP, Kallis, etc... but are casualties nonetheless.

Common denominator?  Terror (sic) Australis.
Well, I don't think the current India, Pakistan, NZ and WI line-ups could wreak so much havoc to both England and SA in under 3 months.

Hats off to our players. clap clap
An almost perfect summer... now only a few brilliant early autumn days to go.  

We are lucky to have such a thoroughly ruthless and dedicated group. Obviously a lot hungrier than England were and more than SA are this series.
Of course they had to feel the pain themselves but thankfully this bunch of players under Darren Lehmann is now starting to bear some fruit.

I'll now sit back and quietly wait for alfie to douse my enthusiasm - not that I particularly agree with many of his current views anyway.  Wink 
Just balancing the ledger of commentary on here. KP_f is pretty much spot on and I agree 100% with his very accurate reading of events.

You'll keep , Linebreaker  Smile 

You like my reply?  Smile 

Ready for the footy season here or is that not your kind of thing? Andrew Demetriou for Premier! It's too much isn't it?

Another ton for the squirrel....!!!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Back to back centuries, does not get much better  clap  clap

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 pm

This is surreal.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 pm

The hour before lunch was weird, now the slogging.

460 lead and declare ?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm

skyeman wrote:The hour before lunch was weird, now the slogging.

460 lead and declare ?

Whatever they are around tea I'd guess. Could be close to or even over 500.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

What an amazing six on the reach clap

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 pm

If they carry on like this they would be 600 ahead by tea Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 pm

If you like watching someone shooting fish in a barrel...

I mean , hats off to Warner , great series and all ...but SA have just been going through the motions today , waiting to see how long they have to block out . Not really compelling viewing. Would have been more fun if Clarke had enforced the follow on.

Not that it will matter. SA have wriggled out of these things before , but they just don't look the same outfit here. They sparked up in PE ; but haven't showed a lot of fight in this match at all.

(this is not a reverse-curse attempt to hex Australia : they deserve this win , and I hope they get it - even though this will have the media , fans etc strutting around as if they were back in the days of Warne McGrath etc  Smile )

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Yeah true. Watto takes one in the nuts and still scores a run. Did he get his bat on that?

Don't worry, alfie.

If you keep saying "wriggle out of this one" I'll reply with "they've missed a trick" (they - the Fox commentators - have said it about 20 times in the last few days.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Who was the last Aussie to score two hundreds in the same Test?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm

skyeman wrote:Who was the last Aussie to score two hundreds in the same Test?

I have a feeling Hayden and Langer have both done it.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Watson certainly got out putting the team first there...bizarre shot ; but in this position you can do what you like !
Should be able to declare well before tea with 500 lead...which should be ample. SA will have a long time to wriggle...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Linebreaker wrote:

Cheers.

Warners overall ave is now over 47. Never thought he would be anywhere near that a year ago.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 pm

skyeman wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

Cheers.

Warners overall ave is now over 47. Never thought he would be anywhere near that a year ago.

How wrong you and alfie were...  Laugh 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 pm

a hundred in each inning for warner...the man walks the talk  clap 

and a big hundred in each inning...against worlds No.1 team in their home ground and with a pretty fast attack......

and hundreds each time at such blistering pace..it's a matter of time before his average crosses 50
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Every fielder on the boundary Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm

missed a double hundred
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
skyeman wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

Cheers.

How wrong you and alfie were...  Laugh 

Oi ! Hang on a minute...I recall saying I didn't much like Warner ; but I am not sure I have ever dismissed his batting talents on here ? He is proving a bit better than I expected ; but that goes for you too by the sound of things...

Bash my stated views if you want but don't go making up quotes , eh  Smile 

Anyway he's out now so it is probably back under 45...

Told you he was pretty ordinary  Whistle 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Still say Aus have a fragile batting line-up though.

SA 511 to win Shocked

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 pm

...jokes aside that was a hell of an innings from Warner , who has stepped up a notch on this tour in my view. I figured him for a bit more than a happy slogger back after that Hobart effort against NZ ; but he had appeared to go off the rails a bit recently....
Certainly back on track now. If his efforts against England were a bit inconsistent and bolstered by second innings runs , these Tests have seen runs scored both freely and under pressure ; and he has done a lot to make this highly rated SA attack look ordinary. (And yes I accept that Steyn has had injury setbacks...but the others were rated very highly before this series. Less so now ?)

I still don't much like him , mind  Smile 

But credit where it's due  clap 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Of course, Alfie... of course.  Smile 

I might have to record the rest of today's play... feeling knackered after a long day.

How do you manage to stay up, alf? Getting late here!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 pm

I don't think I can , tonight lb...pity. That is why I'd sooner Clarke made 'em follow on...

Ah well , maybe they'll be 180/1 overnight and we can have some excitement tomorrow  Smile 

Doubt it though...120/5 I reckon and mopping up only for Wednesday...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Philanders wkt ave of 51.77 was a big blow to SA this series.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:39 pm

And Morkel even with the speed and aggression did not get the rewards. Ave 63 per wkt.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Harris starts the procession in the 2nd inning.....and I think SA will fall apart.....they have nothing to play for ...with the captain going out.
and will all await for a fresh start in next series

whichever way I look at it...and much as I saw and exepected Smith to retire at some point.....I absolutely do not see the point of him announcing retirement in the midst of the test match.

why not wait 3 more days til the end of the test
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 pm

skyeman wrote:Philanders wkt ave of 51.77 was a big blow to SA this series.

Wasn't it ! Philander is a good bowler ; but his early career figures were a bit too good to be true... One day he was bound to come back to the pack a bit.
In fairness to him these pitches didn't suit him particularly ... But he was still a bit disappointing.

Sometimes when an attack includes a truly great bowler (like Steyn) the other members get something of a boost from his presence...and you only find out how important that effect is when the number one man goes down...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Harris gets to his 100  clap 

a SR of 48 and an average of 22...makes him an astonishing fast bowler
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:57 pm

alfie wrote:...jokes aside that was a hell of an innings from Warner , who has stepped up a notch on this tour in my view.  I figured him for a bit more than a happy slogger back after that Hobart effort against NZ ; but he had appeared to go off the rails a bit recently....
Certainly back on track now. If his efforts against England were a bit inconsistent and bolstered by second innings runs , these Tests have seen runs scored both freely and under pressure ; and he has done a lot to make this highly rated SA attack look ordinary. (And yes I accept that Steyn has had injury setbacks...but the others were rated very highly before this series. Less so now ?)

I still don't much like him , mind  Smile 

But credit where it's due  clap 

Very much with Alfie on Warner. Additionally, he brings not only such aggressive intent to his stroke play but also to his running between the wickets. Continually looking for singles and to convert ones into twos - a real t20 mindset, so unusual for a Test opener.

Clarke getting some stick on Sky for sending Doolan in at three. Even with Doolan's inexperience, I don't buy that. If Doolan is good enough to be in that position at the start of the innings, he should be good enough to vary his game play according to match requirements and team needs. Similar to his first knock, he again played a bit of a nothing innings - heavy only on frustration.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 pm

KP_fan wrote:Harris starts the  procession  in the 2nd inning.....and I think SA will fall apart.....they have nothing to play for ...with the captain going out.

whichever way I look at it...and much as I saw and exepected Smith to retire at some point.....I absolutely do not see the point of him announcing retirement in the midst of the test match.

why not wait 3 more days til  the end of the test

For once I think I agree with you , KP _fan  Shocked 

SA looked flat enough in this match ...and the skipper saying he was going didn't seem to do much for the morale.

Sad end really for Smith as he goes rather meekly to Johnson . Would have liked to see him sign off in better style.
But few do.

This keeps up they'll be taking the extra half hour and finishing tonight ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am

alfie wrote:
KP_fan wrote:Harris starts the  procession  in the 2nd inning.....and I think SA will fall apart.....they have nothing to play for ...with the captain going out.

why not wait 3 more days til  the end of the test

For once I think I agree with you , KP _fan        Shocked 

SA looked flat enough in this match ...and the skipper saying he was going didn't seem to do much for the morale.

Sad end really for Smith as he goes rather meekly to Johnson . Would have liked to see him sign off in better style.
But few do.

This keeps up they'll be taking the extra half hour and finishing tonight ...

I too agree, but maybe his team told him to do it, so he could have a crowd send off

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 am

Timberrrrrrrrrrr. 15/3. Alfie could be right.

MJ doing it again.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:14 am

procession continues.....Crumbling like a pack of cards as expected...nothing to play for really for SA
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 am

skyeman wrote:Timberrrrrrrrrrr. 15/3. Alfie could be right.

MJ doing it again.

Alfie almost put his house on SA "wriggling out of this one" so I'm not sure about that, skye.  Smile

This would be the perfect scenario for the ICC to introduce the Mercy Rule... like in baseball.

alfie was right. Clarke should have forced the follow on. We'd all get an early mark!  Very Happy 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:41 am

Amla and AB shutting up shop. SA would have to go bankrupt to save this one.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 am

over by tea time tomorrow IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm

58 overs to go and 5 wickets in hand.
Did Aus bat 10 overs too many ?

we will see
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 pm

ABDV out... so only 4 wickets to go now.

Still wriggling.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Just switched on and I see SA have been wriggling pretty well today ?

But I gather de Villiers has departed to the new ball , so this is pretty much the last proper partnership...reckon they'd need to bat until a while after tea to have a serious chance of saving it.
Funny though the way SA seem to find reserves of spirit and energy when they are practically dead and buried , after sleepwalking through most of this match.

Still fancy a clatter of wickets at some point , and an Australian win...but if these two are still batting in an hour or so some of the Aussies might be nervously recalling Adelaide...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Smith gets the break fifteen minutes before tea !

Matter of time now , I think. Suspect the Aussies were mightily relieved to see the finger go up then ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Since Tendulkar retired Smith is the best part time spinner in the world....and I think I have said this before also
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 am

Best or luckiest ? He bowls an awful lot of rubbish ; but he does have a knack of picking up wickets. Perhaps his very inconsistency is his strength.

I would still call him more "partnership breaker" than part timer : you really wouldn't want him bowling serious overs...but no matter : he has done the trick there. clap 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 am

I want to see a few overs from Warner.  Very Happy

A valiant defensive effort from SA but it's getting late here... need more of this attacking stuff so the Aussies can polish off these last few wickets now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:09 am

alfie wrote:Best or luckiest ?   He bowls an awful lot of rubbish ; but he does have a knack of picking up wickets.  Perhaps his very inconsistency is his strength.

I would still call him more "partnership breaker" than part timer : you really wouldn't want him bowling serious overs...but no matter  : he has done the trick there. clap 

His so called " rubbish" is because he doesn't practice nor is conditioned to be a specialist spinner.
His side on action, his pivot in delivery stride, the rips and revs he puts on the balls....the variations in flight, the googly he posses makes his "well landed" deliveries more potent than many a guys playing as specialist leggies such as Borthwick, Ish sodhi ,Tahir adn the odd leg spinner that BD and Zim possess.

Just that his "well landed ones are not consistent enough.
he is not plain lucky....but rather quite a talented cricketer
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 am

Nathan Lyon is the only specialist spinner in the game and hes the only spinner without a stick... Think he's really Australia today - Enough footmarks for him I'd think.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 am

Philander is becoming an all rounder of high note...He keeps this up, he'll get close to Kallis in terms of greatest Cricketers in South African history.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 am

Duminy  Doh 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 am

It's over now.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 am

Missing frame- should be not out - no definitive way to tell...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 am

Jeez it's like a football match - half the team surrounding the umpire, like he changed the call!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next