South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town - Page 7 Empty South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, a decider at Cape Town where, I gather, big crowds are expected. The only bad thing about this match is that it's the last in the series. This really would have made for a great 5-Test series.

Difficult to call this one. SA did wonderfully to come back at PE after the drubbing in the 1st Test. Much will depend on who bats first. Could be that the team that bats first will win the match. Interesting sidebar is the form of Clarke, who (I think) has not passed 24 in the last five tests. Until PE, they were winning without his contributions, but he may well be needed in Cape Town.

Who am I going for? Almost too close to call. Who are you going for?

South Africa:
GC Smith*, AN Petersen, D Elgar, HM Amla, AB de Villiers†, F du Plessis, JP Duminy, KJ Abbott, VD Philander, DW Steyn, M Morkel

Australia:
DA Warner, CJL Rogers, SR Watson, AJ Doolan, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, BJ Haddin†, MG Johnson, RJ Harris, JL Pattinson, NM Lyon

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town - Page 7 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm

Great effort by SA, 14 overs left.

Aus getting frustrated.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town - Page 7 Empty Re: South Africa v Australia: 3rd and final Test, Cape Town

Post by VTR on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:06 pm

Philander getting a lot of credit for that review on cricinfo. Might be a bit OTT as surely he would have reviewed any "out" decision at this stage as he knows the game is up if he gets out.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

sirfredperry wrote:

Who am I going for? Almost too close to call. Who are you going for?

Still not sure!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

Johnson would be struggling to walk just now...

Pattinson put up 43 overs in his first match back, of any sort... Harris nearly 50 overs with almost every body part probably rebelling... its been a fantastic effort from the bowlers... Greatest Test finishes in history generally need you to start off with
"South Africa vs Australia" ...

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

It took five days, but someone finally sent the message that this pitch is in fact flat... Only four wickets fell today... On DAY FIVE...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

Could be too late... probably is too late
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

Will that 22 overs of Warner not playing any shots before lunch yesterday come back to haunt Aus?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:24 pm

A little unfair to blame anyone or anything, Skye. Australia have played eight Tests this summer - I think Clarke and management genuinely felt it better to give them proper rest, and then let them give it one more go. I'd probably have done the same as a skipper.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm

Think Johnson bowls the last four overs on one end
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:26 pm

Thought the Aussies maybe batted 20/30 mins too long yesterday, but still enough time

Tense now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:30 pm

Called it!! But I would probably have gotten really short odds, as it seemed obvious to me
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

Not really blaming. Just saying, will that be one of the reasons the Aus press and others might give.

Others will praise the SA batting.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

Olly wrote:Thought the Aussies maybe batted 20/30 mins too long yesterday, but still enough time

Tense now

Possibly Australia did bat too long but ... if they had declared earlier there's no guarantee they would have then reduced South Africa to 15/3. A game of opinions and judgments ... and all the more wonderful for it ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:36 pm

Why is Watson bowling? Reminds me of Cardiff and Marcus North though perhaps not quite as bad as that one.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:36 pm

Don't think our batting deserves any praising to be honest - This is a very flat Newlands pitch and its a little disconcerting that we managed to dig ourselves into this hole. Done a fantastic job of digging ourselves out, but really - absolutely no reason to score less than 300 here.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm

Watson too wide, have to make them play.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

Johnson has a maximum of 16 balls left...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:42 pm

Would top MJ's summer off if he took two in two Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Another match saving innings this time from Vern. Too much to bear!
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:44 pm

I love that look Johnson gives after every delivery... Need to start practising it... This sort of lost, sort of bemused... "Huh" look. It's quite funny when hes hitting chins and doing that

And yes I'm a sadist
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:45 pm

Solo man... strikes.
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:45 pm

Harris strikes!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

Harrissssssssssssssss.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

One wicket 29 balls - think you've got it LB
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:47 pm

Morne has the greatest theme song
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:47 pm

Yes some Barbara Streisand as More Morkel walks out to bat, love it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Not even watching England Shocked

Very tense stuff.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Crap
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

kingraf wrote:One wicket 29 balls - think you've got it LB

OMG... thanks mate. (was about to say 29 balls is a long time)

Hug 
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

kingraf wrote:Crap

Wrong theme song
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

Congratulations LB! Deserving winners
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

Well done Aus, ended the great run.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

Well done to Australia, you were better than us
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

harris dug deep.
and avoided Aus regretting that they batted 10 overs too late.

smith goes out on not quite a high
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

Great advert for Test cricket this series

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:52 pm

Apologies in advance for my sour rant LB.....
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

Can someone donate some new knees to Ryan Harris?

What a bowler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:57 pm

skyeman wrote:Would top MJ's summer off if he took two in two Very Happy

Close skye... our man Harris came to the rescue.  Very Happy 

Jeez - this is almost too much to have to go through each time these two sides meet.

Well played SA.  clap 

Considering they were a bowler down for most of the test and the emotional burden/expectation of doing it for Smithy... it almost would have been right for him to end his career on a high note.

P.S. I'm not superstitious but I opened the front and back doors at 02:45am to let the good spirits flow through the house. Seems to have worked... just.
Maybe should have done it earlier though! ffs... nearly 3am here!
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

Biltong wrote:Well done to Australia, you were better than us

Biltong - yes but at least and unlike England, your boys fought so hard to the end to give us a wonderful Test and series.  clap clap 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

Congrats Australia, just that 5/10% top good over the 3 matches.

Warner and Johnson carried the great form over from the Ashes.

First series without the King, and unfortunately it showed badly in this series.

Sad that we salute Biff epic career off with a rare series defeat, but he led us to so many highs. I never thought I'd see a Proteas team without Biff and the King...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

and mark my words again......this is no lucky side Aus riding a high......amazingly...so quickly we have see a side resurrect towards being the best in the world after the 4-0 wash-out in India.

The earliest signs of turnaround were there in Eng...when they came so close to winning about 2 to 3 tests.

the comprehensiveness of the win shows how quickly they have gone beyond the turn..around to a full dominant resurgence.

SA on the other had was hit by Smith's lack of hunger....and the earliest signs of it was in him letting India get away with dominance in first test and nearly in the 2nd test.
They need to find a hungry leader...and they will be back as a top side...they have still a pretty darn good batting and some very high quality fast bowlers.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Biltong - yes but at least and unlike England, your boys fought so hard to the end to give us a wonderful Test and series.  clap clap 

True mate, if you told me we were going to take this to the last 5 overs I wouldn't have believed you.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:04 pm

kingraf wrote:Congratulations LB! Deserving winners

kingraf wrote:Apologies in advance for my sour rant LB.....

No worries Raf. Apologies too... for getting a little over-excited the other day.  OK

I was hiding for a couple of hours... computer switched off. The tension in that match was immense.

Cheers mate! You are a great sport. That was a another nail-biter.

If it had been a draw... you really couldn't split the sides much. Even with the win... you still can't split them. We are like twins!
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:07 pm

Let's hope CSA and CA will ensure 5 test series from now on.

When these two trams gave met over the recent past it has always been quality
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:08 pm

Dammit in 23 years of of unity this could be the worst to ever hit our shores. Man for man we were supposed to comfortably win this! I can't believe we've lost... Been a bit of a horror tour...
Steyn - An absolute hospital pass for our best bowler to go down having bowled ten overs. Horrible!

Philander - I keep hearing he's been found out. Most amount of hogwash I've heard since David Warner opened his mouth. What's really happened is there's a bug in his system. Not his immune system, but his bowling mechanics. The arm used to come out straight, which meant he was always in the money. Recently, it's gotten a little rounder, Its no longer hitting the seam... And if Vern doesn't seam it... he really is a plodder.
Duminy -
CSA also - Let's have our t20 competition just before the test series, and then give them a freaking 3-day friendly and call it preparation.
Australia - Honestly losing to Australia hurts more that anyone else... I see AB crying in the background... feel the same, probably. I'm going to go kick something, probably cuss all things Australian, and unfriend all my Australian friends on Facebook... and eat some twinkies , but what a Test summer!!! Don't think I've ever been more upset at a defeat (not that we've experienced many) but I'd love to capsulate the 2013/2014 season forever...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

3x100 2x50 for Warner... 1000 runs for the summer, he's a bit of a Tinkywinky, but I genuinely love watching him play
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm

Next Australia-S.A. test series is in 2016. Damn
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

Take it easy on all things Australian, Raf.

I know exactly how you feel given your last tour here.

May I suggest you go to the zoo and pat a kangaroo, kiss a sheila and blow on a didgeridoo. 

Well, that's my plan for the day.  Very Happy
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Take it easy on all things Australian, Raf.

May I suggest you go to the zoo and pat a kangaroo, kiss a sheila and blow on a didgeridoo. 

Well, that's my plan for the day.
 Very Happy

Linebreaker - make sure you don't do any of those things the wrong way round or it might be a while before we next hear from you!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Take it easy on all things Australian, Raf.

Well, that's my plan for the day.
 Very Happy

Linebreaker - make sure you don't do any of those things the wrong way round or it might be a while before we next hear from you!  Wink 

That might be a blessing for most of the folks on here, Guildford. I shall heed your advice of course and focus on the correct order of the plan.  Smile
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum