The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oscars winners 2014

+4
TopHat24/7
The Womble
Rowley
compelling and rich
8 posters

Go down

oscars winners 2014 Empty oscars winners 2014

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:37 am

list of the winners for those that are intrested:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave

Best Actor in a Leading Role: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Leading Role Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role :Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)

Best Animated Feature: Frozen (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, Peter Del Vecho)

Best Cinematography: Gravity (Emmanuel Lubezki)

Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin)

Best Directing: Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)

Best Documentary Feature: 20 Feet from Stardom (Morgan Neville, Gil Friesen, Caitrin Rogers)

Best Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life (Malcolm Clarke, Nicholas Reed)

Best Film Editing: Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger)

Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty (Italy)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club (Adruitha Lee, Robin Mathews)

Best Original Score: Gravity (Steven Price)

Best Original Song: Let It Go - Frozen

Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin, Beverley Dunn)

Best Animated Short Film: Mr. Hublot (Laurent Witz, Alexandre Espigares)

Best Live Action Short Film: Helium (Anders Walter, Kim Magnusson)

Best Sound Editing: Gravity (Glenn Freemantle)

Best Sound Mixing: Gravity (Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, Chris Munro)

Best Visual Effects: Gravity (Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, Neil Corbould)

Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave (John Ridley)

Best Original Screenplay: Her (Spike Jonze)

so what do people make of the winners, im still yet see 12 years a slave, gravity and dallas buyers club so cant really comment on whether there worthy winners, they worth the fuss or have the oscars got it wrong yet again?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

oscars winners 2014 Empty Re: oscars winners 2014

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

Have seen most of the big hitters for this year’s awards, apart from Gravity and have to say McConaughey is absolutely the right choice for best actor. He is brilliant in Dallas Buyers Club. Personally I was a little underwhelmed by 12 Years a Slave. Don’t really feel I emerged knowing anything I did not already know, think I was pretty much knew slavery was a bit off before hand. Have not seen Blue Jasmine but Blanchett tends to be brilliant in everything she is in so struggle to imagine she wasn’t in that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:29 am

It always makes me laugh when you see actors from the same film winning for their work (McConaughey and Leto) yet the Best Film goes to something else. You would have thought that if the acting was so good the film must have been pretty good too?

12 years didn't win Best Director or either of the main two Acting awards yet it won best film. Surely, direction and acting are the two main components of an Oscar worthy film? Or am I getting it all wrong?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:35 am

A great Oscars for the Brits!

It's funny, Gravity seems to have got quite a mixed reception over here from people I've spoken to, but I really enjoyed it. Can tell it was basically British as I wouldn't expect the Yanks to come out with something so simple and powerful (prepares for onslaught of abuse).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:37 am

The Womble wrote:It always makes me laugh when you see actors from the same film winning for their work (McConaughey and Leto) yet the Best Film goes to something else. You would have thought that if the acting was so good the film must have been pretty good too?

12 years didn't win Best Director or either of the main two Acting awards yet it won best film. Surely, direction and acting are the two main components of an Oscar worthy film? Or am I getting it all wrong?

think content is massive appeal for the best film winners, films that have political/historical relevance always seem to do better for me. crash and hurt locker being two recent winners despite not being all that great, simply because they were at the time big news within america

Last edited by compelling and rich on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:43 am

also they love a actor that loses weight/physical change and copies a real life character for best actor/actress winners

so not necessarily always linked with best films

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

Funnily enough I was listening to Chris Evans on the way to work and he posed the exact same question about Best Film/Director, and the expert they had on said that whilst they are frequently given to the same person they have separate categories because sometimes certain films can represent a quantum leap in terms of technology or how they are filmed but may not be the best film so having two categories can be a way of reflecting this. Gravity is a decent example of this, with some of the filming techniques being five years in developing etc.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but I don't think Gravity deserved best picture due to it's pretty simplistic nature - even though I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad it got best director as practically every moment of the film added something to the overall feel of the movie. There was no filler or wasted scenes.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 03 Mar 2014, 5:47 pm

Leo DiCaprio must de perilously close to selling his soul for that golden naked man
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

kingraf wrote:Leo DiCaprio must de perilously close to selling his soul for that golden naked man

just wait till he loses weight and chops his legs off for the oscar pistorius story, he's guaranteed a oscar then

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:01 pm

I suspect - he'd still lose... to some part timer who learnt to walk on water for the role of Jesus... David Blaine probably
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 03 Mar 2014, 9:23 pm

12 Years A Slave is a good film. Smile

Oh and quite annoyed that once more Leo is ignored!!! Why thou Academy hate him? xD
We still love you Leo as does the internet!!!

Guy deserves an Oscar what ever he does just gets ignored, poor dude. Super talented!!
Oh and was gutted after I got teased by a friend of mine earlier today saying "better luck next year" since I'm a Leo fan  Laugh 

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:13 pm

The results were fairly predictable this year. I've seen all the movies that won the main Oscars and I wouldn't disagree with any of their picks.

Cate Blanchett's performance was the best acting of the year. It's worth watching the movie just for the acting although I also thought it was Woody Allen's best movie in years.

I didn't think there was an outstanding movie this year.  12 Years A Slave was very well made and acted and had a decent storyline so in an overall sense I can see why it won best film.

Dallas Buyers Club had the best male acting but the story fell apart a bit for me in the last hour.  Without the acting it would maybe have struggled to be a 7 out of 10 movie.

Gravity was just a revolutionary movie in terms of visuals and especially the use of sound.  It is the best use of 3-D ever hands down.  Watching the film in an IMAX cinema I was transported to another world where our senses were ramped right up.   When we left the cinema it took 5 minutes to come back down to reality.  Unfortunately the story wasn't great and very predictable.  Clooney was on fine form.  The direction was masterful and highly original so I agree with the best direction gong going this way.

The Wolf of Wall St missed out and I'm not surprised. I found the film morally reprehensible with practically no redemption. When I walked out of the cinema I said to myself "Scorsese has lost the plot".  It all made sense though when my movie buff brother in law was able to tell me the film getting made was driven by DiCaprio and then Scorsese was brought on board to steer the ship. I suppose he had to keep his leading man happy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down