The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy?

+5
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
TopHat24/7
Galted
sikhlion
9 posters

Go down

Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy? Empty Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy?

Post by sikhlion Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:11 am

Following Schumacher's tragic accident I can't help thinking of all the other iconic talented people in the world whose lives have been hit by tragedy:
Schumacher
Ayrton Senna
Muhammad Ali
George Best
Steven Hawkins

It seems sad and crazy that all these people who are so talented end up having bad things happen in there life

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy? Empty Re: Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy?

Post by Guest Sun 09 Mar 2014, 5:01 pm

If your including George Best, then Amy Winehouse would be in there as 'talented people' within their own profession...

clearly both 'icons' had tragic events happen to them, but both self-inflicted.

Back to top Go down

Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy? Empty Re: Why Are the most talented peoples lives tainted by tragedy?

Post by Guest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:17 am

Maybe to give us bitter twisted normals something to gloat about when we fail to reach the same dizzying heights given our crippling lack of talent and drive. I may be speaking for myself here, I'm not sure, nor do I really care.

Anyway, what particular tragedy befell Ali? Parkinson's disease? He contracted that long after his brilliant best.

Schumacher's career peak had also been and gone before his accident.

You can argue that Senna was cut off in his prime certainly but I'm afraid that self destruction like Best, Winehouse etc brought upon themselves is NOT tragedy. A criminal waste of talent and life but tragedy? I'm not so sure.

I also have to wonder about those people with motor neurone disease (which incidentally hasn't stopped Hawking being brilliant), alcohol and drug addiction who aren't talented or famous and wonder how they'd feel if they heard you say that their particular stories weren't also tragic. You don't have to be brilliant to have your life blighted by illness, injury and/or disease.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:44 am

DAVE667 wrote:Maybe to give us bitter twisted normals something to gloat about when we fail to reach the same dizzying heights given our crippling lack of talent and drive. I may be speaking for myself here, I'm not sure, nor do I really care.

Anyway, what particular tragedy befell Ali? Parkinson's disease? He contracted that long after his brilliant best.

Schumacher's career peak had also been and gone before his accident.

You can argue that Senna was cut off in his prime certainly but I'm afraid that self destruction like Best, Winehouse etc brought upon themselves is NOT tragedy. A criminal waste of talent and life but tragedy? I'm not so sure.

I also have to wonder about those people with motor neurone disease (which incidentally hasn't stopped Hawking being brilliant), alcohol and drug addiction who aren't talented or famous and wonder how they'd feel if they heard you say that their particular stories weren't also tragic. You don't have to be brilliant to have your life blighted by illness, injury and/or disease.

Not sure I agree with you again, Dave, please don't kill me.

I'm exceptionally talented when it comes to throwing used tea-bags into the rubbish-bin from my desk taking only a second to aim yet had to endure the devastating loss of my shoelaces due to repeated snapping recently.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:52 am

CF wrote:If your including George Best, then Amy Winehouse would be in there as 'talented people' within their own profession...

clearly both 'icons' had tragic events happen to them, but both self-inflicted.

FFS, was really hoping when I opened this thread nobody would mention that revolting bint.

1 album wonder, middle class working class wannabe who chucked it all away. Was a disgrace when they compared her to other famous musicians that also died aged 27, that being literally her only comparable element to any of them.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:11 am

Back to Black is light years away from anything her peers put out - Light Years - still jam to "Valerie", "Told You I'm no Good", and "Tears Dry on Their Own"...No comparison to Jimi, but then no one is
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:26 am

Should be just Sarah Payne and the Mccann girl that bad things happen too right ???

Guess the hundreds of people killed in 9/11 weren't talented enough to write a thread about either..

Geez....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

She wasn't being compared to her peers though, she was being compared to Jimi, Jim Morrison & Kurt Cobain.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:45 am

She got in with the wrong scum....Where as my sister's alcoholism crept up on her...This kid thought it was all hip and rock n roll...and her lifestyle no doubt attracted less fortunate types who probably ruined their own and their loved ones lives..

I'll not mourn Winehouse types that can afford the best treatment and shove it when others can't get any treatment as priory units are underfunded..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:51 am

Not a fan of grunge so never bought into Cobain... Plus the fact that Cobain rhymes with Brain has given mediocre rappers material forever
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:58 am

Love Nirvana...Guy was a genius..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm

I think this whole idea of the maverick genius or genius being inherently flawed is one that is not particularly correct. We just tend to focus on those who display such characteristics as they make for interesting stories. So in football we look to George Best, but ignore the fact that Pele and Messi are easily his equal and are as level headed and sensible as anyone on this planet. Sames goes in most fields.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:06 pm

You reveal talent

people praise you for it

you know within yourself that the adulation is fake

you turn to drink and drugs

you die, go to prison go to rehab

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm

kingraf wrote:Not a fan of grunge so never bought into Cobain... Plus the fact that Cobain rhymes with Brain has given mediocre rappers material forever

It also rhymes with migraine, which is far more appropriate and creative. I am a loss to the hip hop field.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm

Not something you need to worry about..onetwo

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm

heard a Jay Z lyric where he lifted off a Cobain line, "and we're all just entertainers, and we stupid, and contagious, no we all just entertainers" thought it was pretty insightful piece of social commentary from Kurt, then I heard the song itself... what utter nonsense. Miracle Jay found that nugget at all
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 12 Mar 2014, 4:57 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:She wasn't being compared to her peers though, she was being compared to Jimi, Jim Morrison & Kurt Cobain.

Thank goodness you didn't compare her to Janis Joplin. I'm afraid I would have had to put a contract out on you.

But seriously now..... It is sad when anybody dies young, celebrity or not. They're all somebody's son or daughter. The deaths of talented, or at least famous, people seems more tragic because they seem to touch us all. I liked Amy Winehouse. I didn't regard her as being in the upper echelon of singers, but when she got it right, it was good. I was sorry that she died and I feel pretty much the same way about others whose talents have given me pleasure in some way or another.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:27 am

All death is sad and it happens in its thousands every day. Just because AW was pretty talented does not make her loss any greater or more significant and, importantly, her limited achievements do not make her worthy of being placed on a pedestal alongside the likes of Jimi Hendrix.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:36 am

That is a largely subjective call though top hat and a matter of taste. Whitney Houston certainly sold more records and released more than Winehouse but I did not mourn her passing any more as her music was not particularly to my tastes, whereas Winehouse’s output was and so I found myself quiet upset at her passing. For me her limited output made her passing all the sadder as we never got to see a substantial body of work or what she would have done next.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:45 am

She had talent, certainly, and if she'd put more effort into her career and less into being a crackhead (maybe get at least ONE further album out) then she'd have been worth remembering.

Fact is she didn't. And no point speculating over what she might've produced - she had years to produce something else but preferred getting smacked off her jubblies. Nothing to suggest she'd ever have produced anything else.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

Nice to see addiction is yet another subject you show your usual levels of empathy and compassion for other human beings in.

(Save your energy and don't bother responding. I have no intention of getting dragged into this conversation beyond this point)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:07 am

Wasn't looking for a debate on addiction.

Was simply stating she was a waste (as well as waster) and did nothing to deserve comparison to genuine greats like Hendrix.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:13 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Wasn't looking for a debate on addiction.

Was simply stating she was a waste (as well as waster) and did nothing to deserve comparison to genuine greats like Hendrix.

I believe that Jimi died from choking on his own vomit after taking a large amount of drugs (albeit prescription). He is widely known for his drug and drink issues.

I think that Amy sits quite well on Jimis pedestal personally.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:16 am

I'm talking about talent and success, not method of death.

Otherwise there're another few thousand smackheads you could stick on that increasingly large pedestal every year.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down