The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl split

+14
banbrotam
lags72
Calder106
bogbrush
Tennisfan
invisiblecoolers
socal1976
ALPanorak
Jahu
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
Danny_1982
dummy_half
R!skysports
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl split - Page 2 Empty Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl split

Post by R!skysports Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl announce that they have mutually agreed to end their two year coaching relationship.

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/andy-murray-and-ivan-lendl-announce-that-they-have-mutually-agreed-to-end-their-two-year-coaching/

Have to say I did not see that coming

has Andy learnt enough from Lendl and can he keep on pushing himself to develop going forward?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl split - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl split

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 22 Mar 2014, 12:36 pm

summerblues wrote:To me, the "Lendl was helpful because he also struggled to win his first slam" angle is overplayed.

The way I see it, Lendl was good for Andy because:

1. He is very focused and can provide discipline, and
2. Andy respected him and listened to him

As good as Andy is, I think he has a bit of immature streak to him and needs someone to help him keep focused.  I think there are good many coaches that can provide that focus, but I am not sure how many of them Andy will be willing to listen to.

Andy has said many times he wanted someone onboard who had been through the same experiences as him and Lendl was the natural choice. To claim the fact Ivan had nothing of importance to pass onto Andy after four slam final defeats is wrong in my opinion. I would definitely agree with you on point two and we will have to wait and see about who he will listen to - evidently he listened to Ivan and other coaches he had (Gilbert aside) so it isn't like he is some sort of maverick.

It must be remembered that he had been to four slam finals before Lendl's involvement PLUS many non-Murray fans here have frequently claimed Murray played better tennis in his early pre-Lendl years so at least they should be happy.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2