General RL Discussion!

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

A thread we're we can discuss our sides, what's happening in RL, the future and everything else to do with Rugby League.

I really hope that Cas can keep up there early form and stay in the top 8.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down


Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:50 am

The Beast wrote:2017 fixtures are out and surprise surprise 1st game in the Championship Hull KR v Bradford, randomly generated????

I do think it is unfair that the Bulls get KR in the Summer Bash who are likely to finish top, surely it should be London, I assume the RFL do read the league tables, Bradford were 5th in 2016.

I am toying with the idea of a Bulls season ticket.  If they fail to gain promotion in 2017 ticket renewals will be 20% lower in 2018, if they are promoted renewals are free for the first season back in SL (backed by their sponsors Friends Provident), great offer.  Only downside is tickets have to be collected from the club and cannot be posted, 4 1/2 drive for me to collect.  If I was closer it would be a no-brainer.
Go for it Mick.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1277
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Congratulations to Wales (who beat Italy), and Ireland (who beat Russia), on qualifying for next years world cup in Australia. And making it a full house of home nations.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Administrators dealing with Bulls are saying four are in the running to buy the club, apparently previously mentioned Mark Lawn is not at this stage one of them. Hopefully some positive news in the next 2 weeks.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:33 am

The Beast wrote:Administrators dealing with Bulls are saying four are in the running to buy the club, apparently previously mentioned Mark Lawn is not at this stage one of them.  Hopefully some positive news in the next 2 weeks.
Hopefully, but with their recent past history lets hope they can sort it our properly this time..

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1277
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Bulls go down 14 - 22 at home to Rochdale. I listened to the game which was rumoured earlier to have been postponed due to snow. Bradford Juniors are putting in a great shift however they desperately need more size and experience in the pack/middle of the pitch and a full back who can defend/catch a high ball..........basically now otherwise relegation will be nailed on before the season is a quarter way through, already 16 points behind Rochdale who deserved their win today.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Rovers win again without playing particularly well, but to be honest at this stage íts the winning that counts. Featherstone continue there good start with a convincing win at Batley. The rest were results you'd expect.

But the big result was Bradford's win at Swinton. It dosn't change much, but they needed the win just to show they can win.

Salford looking okay in SL, the bottom 4 could be intresting, I expect Leigh & Widnes to be in it. But the other 2 places could be between quite a few.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 pm

The Beast wrote:Bulls go down 14 - 22 at home to Rochdale.  I listened to the game which was rumoured earlier to have been postponed due to snow. Bradford Juniors are putting in a great shift however they desperately need more size and experience in the pack/middle of the pitch and a full back who can defend/catch a high ball..........basically now otherwise relegation will be nailed on before the season is a quarter way through, already 16 points behind Rochdale who deserved their win today.
I think in the Bulls case its one of the situations where they will have to take a step back before they can move forward.
Providing they can keep their finances in order, which is a big ask they could be back in Super League in 5 years, but i do think that any more financial problems and they could find themselves in the lower leagues for many years.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1277
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 am

If someone said Warrington would be winless following their excellent World Club win over Brisbane I suspect they would have received some strange looks, from me to start with. Could they be another Leeds? Surely not?

Interesting Challenge Cup result, Toronto beating London, very good win for them London are a good side.

Bulls have Featherstone tomorrow, no loan players available I can only see a loss on the way and possibly not close. Bulls have very encouraging wins over Toulouse and Batley but they are reliant on the loan players at the moment, without whom the squad is simply too young to compete.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Having only seen Warrington on thursday, (where I thought they were a shambles), it wouldn't be a suprise if they were down there. They got Saints this week. Lose that and they're in real trouble. Think Widnes & Huddersfield will be down there the other 2 could be intresting.

Castleford on the other hand have been outstanding.

When you see Toronto's 17, I'm not sure it was much a suprise.

Good luck today, hopefully you'll play well at least.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:00 pm

I agree with Widnes and Huddersfield (the latter with so many ex-Bulls). Castleford, outstanding fantastic entertainment too.

Bulls did go down but credit to them, it was a great effort only losing out to two late tries.


The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm

It is being reported that Wakefield are willing to sell there SL spot for £2 million, and play In the championship. Toronto, Toulouse, Newcastle, Coventry are considering bids.

if this is true, it's a disgusting way to treat there fans. And in my opinion it gives out the wrong message about the sport. If you work your way up fine. And if this is the way SL wants to go, then I'd rather Rovers stayed in the championship.


tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:18 pm

I suspect we will see another change to the structure with the RFL talking about city based franchises perhaps a hint however selling your SL spot sounds like cobblers and hopefully is just wild speculation based on Wakey's ground issues.

Not sure why Michael Carter dismissed playing at Featherstone, maybe share Odsal?

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:41 pm

The Beast wrote:I suspect we will see another change to the structure with the RFL talking about city based franchises perhaps a hint however selling your SL spot sounds like cobblers and hopefully is just wild speculation based on Wakey's ground issues.

Not sure why Michael Carter dismissed playing at Featherstone, maybe share Odsal?
I just wish the RFL would stick with a format for about 10 years with just tinkering every now and then.
As regards Wakefield i think a move to Odsal until their ground was sorted out properly would be a great move.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1277
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Dreadful performance from Bradford on Sunday losing to Oldham who deserved the two points, a shame after showing alot of improvement during the previous 3-4 weeks. Big game against Sheffield on Sunday, they simply cannot make 14 handling errors as last week and expect to win against a good side.

I see you have Swinton next up Tiger, prepare for a very very physical contest and a high penalty count.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Great win for the Bulls on Sunday v Sheffield, having listened and now watched the game on You Tube the score did not reflect the game itself with Sheffield having more possession however an important win with tough games coming up, Halifax (H), Featherstone (A), Toulouse (A), Sheffield (A) and London (H) followed by the Big Bash likely hiding at the hands of Hull KR.

Speaking of KR, away at Toulouse on Monday should be a serious test.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:38 am

It probably would have been, if we had not decided to play alot of fringe players. Though the loss didn't really affect us much. And of course today's win at Leigh puts the defeat into the shade.

Bad Easter for you Beast, made worse by Dewsbury winning. Thought things were beginning to look up for you, still think you just need to get to 0 points for psychological purposes if nothing else.


tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm

No surprise for the Bulls over Easter they are very reliant on loan players particularly with the injuries they have and did not have any over Easter. Not that they would have won at Fev either way but two poor performances with numerous handling errors, dumb plays and penalties.

Toulouse away, no chance of the win there either, might be a while before the zero points party, still warm favourites to be relegated. Need signings/loans, the Chisholm contract and Toovey Visa debacles sorting very soon to have any chance.

Last weeks' narrow loss demonstrates I think that you are on the right path with a strong squad and yesterdays excellent result (very very well played) means that whoever is in the bottom four (looks like Widnes and Huddersfield are pretty likely) should be very nervous.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Just in case Huddersfield were not concerned they have just lost at home to Swinton in the CC, not their first team not by no means a youth team either, wow.

Congratulations to Swinton, not sure of their history but I suspect their biggest win for some considerable time.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:19 pm

The Beast wrote:Just in case Huddersfield were not concerned they have just lost at home to Swinton in the CC, not their first team not by no means a youth team either, wow.  

Congratulations to Swinton, not sure of their history but I suspect their biggest win for some considerable time.

massive plaudits to Swinton, probably a bigger result than Oldham beating Rovers last year. Great boast for them.
You have to wonder whats going on at Huddersfield, they been poor on the field, and there squad looks weak. Think they definates for middle 8's, and could be the side championship sides go for.

Yeah, we are heading the right way. Some good young signings look good, and we're going forward. It's been tougher than people think but I'm really enjoying the league.

It was always goíng to be a problem for Bradford, I know why you went the loan signings route. But you run the risk of this when they're not your players.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Tasty CC draw for you Tiger, revenge would surely be sweet.

Bulls unsurprisingly hammered by Toulouse today, two more Under 19's making their debut 11 this season so far. Yes it was always going to be very difficult forming a new club and team a fortnight before the start of the season, - 12 and very little central funding, I have said it before and will again, should have started in Champ. 1 without the points deduction. Apparently more loan signing in the pipeline hopefully before the Sheffield game next week which is arguably the best chance to start the zero points party for the next month.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sun May 07, 2017 7:42 pm

The Beast wrote:Tasty CC draw for you Tiger, revenge would surely be sweet.

Bulls unsurprisingly hammered by Toulouse today, two more Under 19's making their debut 11 this season so far.  Yes it was always going to be very difficult forming a new club and team a fortnight before the start of the season, - 12 and very little central funding, I have said it before and will again, should have started i



n Champ. 1 without the points deduction.  Apparently more loan signing in the pipeline hopefully before the Sheffield game next week which is arguably the best chance to start the zero points party for the next month.

Don't think it's really about any sort of revenge, just seeing where we are. Be nice to get through thou, just 3 games from Wembley Very Happy

Bad defeat again today for your lot. I really don't see what your board are doing at the moment. It's almost like they've just going through the motions.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Yes (another) bad defeat and another four injured players. No-one knows what the board are doing the silence is deafening, some rumours that the re-structuring will effectively save the Bulls from relegation but I really cannot see how and I have the same view as from day one, to avoid relegation by finishing 10th is very unlikely. I can only see attendances reducing, as I have previously said who wants to pay full price to watch what is basically a U21 side getting hammered. The big bash game could be very embarrassing, cricket score.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Sat May 13, 2017 2:41 pm

The Beast wrote:Yes (another) bad defeat and another four injured players.  No-one knows what the board are doing the silence is deafening, some rumours that the re-structuring will effectively save the Bulls from relegation but I really cannot see how and I have the same view as from day one, to avoid relegation by finishing 10th is very unlikely.  I can only see attendances reducing, as I have previously said who wants to pay full price to watch what is basically a U21 side getting hammered.  The big bash game could be very embarrassing, cricket score.
Am i right in thinking that the club is being run from New Zealand at the moment, or that's where the big decisions are being made?

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1277
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat May 13, 2017 3:48 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Yes (another) bad defeat and another four injured players.  No-one knows what the board are doing the silence is deafening, some rumours that the re-structuring will effectively save the Bulls from relegation but I really cannot see how and I have the same view as from day one, to avoid relegation by finishing 10th is very unlikely.  I can only see attendances reducing, as I have previously said who wants to pay full price to watch what is basically a U21 side getting hammered.  The big bash game could be very embarrassing, cricket score.
Am i right in thinking that the club is being run from New Zealand at the moment, or that's where the big decisions are being made?


You are yes, Graham Lowe & Andrew Chalmers.

Some good news this week, Leeds have generously loaned Jordan Lilley, Sam Hallas, Mikolai Oledski & Cameron Smith for 4 weeks (3 games), hopefully this will ensure competitive games v London and Hull KR.

On the downside the latest kick in the teeth are proceedings issued against the club (also the old club & RFL). 47 former players and staff claiming various breaches including unfair dismissal, breach of contract and TUPE. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/10/bradford-bulls

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/10/bradford-bulls

I am not qualified to comment legally however whilst understanding those involved pain (I have been there) it is imo unreasonable for the new owners to be dragged into the mess of the old company. If the ruling is in favour of the claimants it would a big blow or worse for a company formed 4 months ago.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Bulls v Hull KR on Sunday, here are "highlights" of a truly dismal Bradford "performance" v London last week. Something is very wrong, yes even the loanees are young and yes they were forced to play the third choice hooker (Halifihi) at Centre due to injuries but seriously this is unacceptable.



Play like this and it could be 3 figures, however it is on TV so I am assuming some will make an effort to actually tackle opposition players. Dane Chisholm will likely play so perhaps a chance to score a try of their own.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun May 28, 2017 9:14 am

Well that was a surprise, a massive improvement from the Bulls, where has that spirit been for the past few weeks??? No disgrace in losing to KR who are a proven good side and deserved their win.

Whilst conditions were poor I was still slightly surprised the KR were so rigid in their structures, not much off the cuff play, thoughts Tiger?

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sun May 28, 2017 8:21 pm

The Beast wrote:Well that was a surprise, a massive improvement from the Bulls, where has that spirit been for the past few weeks???  No disgrace in losing to KR who are a proven good side and deserved their win.

Whilst conditions were poor I was still slightly surprised the KR were so rigid in their structures, not much off the cuff play, thoughts Tiger?
?

thought Bradford played very well. Your forwards ran well, Lilley & Chisholm dominated the half back duel.

As for Rovers, we have a tendency to keep it tight amongst the forwards (and constantly running back at the ruck area). Which is suprising given that our back division is better, and most sides defence out wide is weaker than running it up ťhe middle. We don't have pace in the main pivot positions (which is why I'd like Moss to start at FB), and other than the Batley game (which I was at), we don't play an attacking fluent game. But because of the pack we have (and players who aren't playing), we tend to overpower teams. Ellis and Abdull don't compliment each other, And if Abdull and Addy are on the same pitch it like having the same player in 2 positions. And I hate having a prop at LF.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Huddersfield have managed to have their second weekend game postponed today due to...........the local wendyball team having a game on the same day????? I appreciate the game will be played later during mid-week but this does seem unfair to those playing Hudds & Saints next week.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Wed May 31, 2017 2:35 am

The Beast wrote:Huddersfield have managed to have their second weekend game postponed today due to...........the local wendyball team having a game on the same day?????  I appreciate the game will be played later during mid-week but this does seem unfair to those playing Hudds & Saints next week.

it's going to be played on the challenge cup QF weekend, not in mid week.
Totally agree about the advantages they'll have for this weekend, which is wrong in my opinion.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Some communication this week from Bulls co-owner Andrew Chalmers.

Confirmed that on day one they had nothing, not even a fax or printer. Automatically signed those who had not found other clubs. Training facilities were re-negotiated with help from the local authority. A strength and conditioning coach (un-named) has been appointed in the past few days.

The offer to buy the club came with conditions including playing in Championship and having £150k of £165k central funding withheld for old co. debts.

If (when) they are relegated* they will have a mix of full and part time players in 2018 but have an expanded academy & reserve side (thinking of franchising in 2019?)

Dane Chisholm is out for 6 - 8 months needing knee reconstruction surgery from the Big bash game.

*Apparently there is a meeting of Championship clubs who COULD vote for a 14 team league in 2018. Other than a miracle this is the only way they are staying up imo.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I seem to be one of the few who like the current system, why do we keep changing.

Good to see you get to zero points beast, given who your next to games are against might be a while till you add to it. But gives you a chance in the championship 8's.

The top 4 virtually sealed, as Rovers, London Broncos and Toulouse virtually guaranteed. The last place between Featherstone and Halifax battling for the last place. With Widnes, Leigh and Catalan probably in from SL, there's some very tasty games to be played (especially Catalan/Toulouse).


tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Now is clearly the time for KR to move through the gears pre the 8's. Nice timing to have Carney on board (accepting the previously mentioned reservations). A few of your injured players back will help but I think promotion is tough but possible.

Bulls, season was over for me when they lost at Dewsbury. Slim/No chance v Fax and of course KR but they have signed Ashley Gibson (Wakefield) and Damien Sironen (Paul's nephew, to the end of the season) from the Queensland Cup so hopefully they will have players in roughly their actual position. I am not sure if any of the loanees will be available for the shield and with Dewsbury/Oldham/Swinton playing each other IMO the only issue preventing relegation will be a change of structure.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 pm

The Beast wrote:Now is clearly the time for KR to move through the gears pre the 8's.  Nice timing to have Carney on board (accepting the previously mentioned reservations).  A few of your injured players back will help but I think promotion is tough but possible.  

Bulls, season was over for me when they lost at Dewsbury.  Slim/No chance v Fax and of course KR but they have signed Ashley Gibson (Wakefield) and Damien Sironen (Paul's nephew, to the end of the season) from the Queensland Cup so hopefully they will have players in roughly their actual position.  I am not sure if any of the loanees will be available for the shield and with Dewsbury/Oldham/Swinton playing each other IMO the only issue preventing relegation will be a change of structure.
Congratulations on HKR winning the championship.
They will be playing in Super League next season as they will win the middle 8s.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1277
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Now is clearly the time for KR to move through the gears pre the 8's.  Nice timing to have Carney on board (accepting the previously mentioned reservations).  A few of your injured players back will help but I think promotion is tough but possible.  

Bulls, season was over for me when they lost at Dewsbury.  Slim/No chance v Fax and of course KR but they have signed Ashley Gibson (Wakefield) and Damien Sironen (Paul's nephew, to the end of the season) from the Queensland Cup so hopefully they will have players in roughly their actual position.  I am not sure if any of the loanees will be available for the shield and with Dewsbury/Oldham/Swinton playing each other IMO the only issue preventing relegation will be a change of structure.
Congratulations on HKR winning the championship.
They will be playing in Super League next season as they will win the middle 8s.

The signing of Masoe is shows serious intentions. Tripped up on Sunday in a surprise after two solid results particularly v London who are a good side.

Bradford Bulls are looking to bring Willy Tonga in I suspect on a short term deal, nice as Ashley Gibson and Ethan Ryan are out for the season but I would save my money. Assuming there are no structural changes to the division they'll need every penny to continue in Champ. 1, playing at Odsal.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:12 am

Really bad result for you yesterday. Tough to see any chance of you staying up, only real interest is who goes down with you.

Was at Halifax yesterday, Rovers were absolutely dire. Can't help thinking all these changes in squad aren't helping, we already had a big squad, now it's reaching ridiculous size.
Anyone who thinks we're going up hasn't seen us play. 5 drives and a kick, will be swallowed up. Though the 8'same fixtures have been okay with Widnes & Catalan at home. Still think the 4 from sl are rightly favourites to stay up.

As I've said before I really hope there no change to current format, I like the 8's.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:10 am

Sia Soliola takes out Billy Slater....

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/melbourne-storm-probe-nrl-over-failure-to-send-off-sia-soliola-for-billy-slater-hit-20170723-gxgys4.html

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7291
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:30 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Really bad result for you yesterday. Tough to see any chance of you staying up, only real interest is who goes down with you.

Was at Halifax yesterday, Rovers were absolutely dire. Can't help thinking all these changes in squad aren't helping,  we already had a big squad, now it's reaching ridiculous size.
Anyone who thinks we're going up hasn't seen us play. 5 drives and a kick, will be swallowed up. Though the 8'same fixtures have been okay with Widnes & Catalan at home. Still think the 4 from sl are rightly favourites to stay up.

As I've said before I really hope there no change to current format, I like the 8's.

I won't be easy but I think you have a fair shot, from what I have seen Widnes look vulnerable at the moment. Bradford were close to promotion 2 years ago (v Wakefield), the previous week they were hammered at home by Halifax, this might be a glitch before the main event, top spot was sewn up perhaps minds on what is to come.

Bulls were awful and some, I am sorry to say, farcical referring including Jonny Campbell being sent off after 20 minutes. A badly timed tackle but compared to some of the things I have seen never a red card.

As mentioned previously for me the season ended several weeks ago losing at Dewsbury. Should have started in Champ. 1, they were never going to recover from the points/money deduction and loss of a number of key players and I think psychologically they've known that from day 1.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 am

The Beast wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Really bad result for you yesterday. Tough to see any chance of you staying up, only real interest is who goes down with you.

Was at Halifax yesterday, Rovers were absolutely dire. Can't help thinking all these changes in squad aren't helping,  we already had a big squad, now it's reaching ridiculous size.
Anyone who thinks we're going up hasn't seen us play. 5 drives and a kick, will be swallowed up. Though the 8'same fixtures have been okay with Widnes & Catalan at home. Still think the 4 from sl are rightly favourites to stay up.

As I've said before I really hope there no change to current format, I like the 8's.

I won't be easy but I think you have a fair shot, from what I have seen Widnes look vulnerable at the moment.  Bradford were close to promotion 2 years ago (v Wakefield), the previous week they were hammered at home by Halifax, this might be a glitch before the main event, top spot was sewn up perhaps minds on what is to come.

Bulls were awful and some, I am sorry to say, farcical referring including Jonny Campbell being sent off after 20 minutes.  A badly timed tackle but compared to some of the things I have seen never a red card.

As mentioned previously for me the season ended several weeks ago losing at Dewsbury.  Should have started in Champ. 1, they were never going to recover from the points/money deduction and loss of a number of key players and I think psychologically they've known that from day 1.

From what I understand a lot of Bradford supporters feel that way, and so do the owners. Never really understood the rfl decision, and can't help feeling that the reason for the proposed changes to the format is because they realise that they messed up.

I'm not saying we can't go up. The fixtures have fallen fairy kindly (Widnes, Catalan, London, Halifax at home, Warrington, Leigh, Featherstone away), but from what I've seen we're going to have to vastly improve our playing style.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 pm

tigerrobins wrote:
The Beast wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Really bad result for you yesterday. Tough to see any chance of you staying up, only real interest is who goes down with you.

Was at Halifax yesterday, Rovers were absolutely dire. Can't help thinking all these changes in squad aren't helping,  we already had a big squad, now it's reaching ridiculous size.
Anyone who thinks we're going up hasn't seen us play. 5 drives and a kick, will be swallowed up. Though the 8'same fixtures have been okay with Widnes & Catalan at home. Still think the 4 from sl are rightly favourites to stay up.

As I've said before I really hope there no change to current format, I like the 8's.

I won't be easy but I think you have a fair shot, from what I have seen Widnes look vulnerable at the moment.  Bradford were close to promotion 2 years ago (v Wakefield), the previous week they were hammered at home by Halifax, this might be a glitch before the main event, top spot was sewn up perhaps minds on what is to come.

Bulls were awful and some, I am sorry to say, farcical referring including Jonny Campbell being sent off after 20 minutes.  A badly timed tackle but compared to some of the things I have seen never a red card.

As mentioned previously for me the season ended several weeks ago losing at Dewsbury.  Should have started in Champ. 1, they were never going to recover from the points/money deduction and loss of a number of key players and I think psychologically they've known that from day 1.

From what I understand  a lot of Bradford supporters feel that way, and so do the owners. Never really understood the rfl decision, and can't help feeling that the reason for the proposed changes to the format is because they realise that they messed up.

I'm not saying we can't go up. The fixtures  have fallen fairy kindly (Widnes, Catalan, London, Halifax at home, Warrington, Leigh, Featherstone away), but from what I've seen we're going to have to vastly improve our playing style.  

I am not it is 100% official however the decision not to relegate Bradford was at least partly due to the fixtures already being in place. Ralph Rimmer has already said any decisions will not specifically save them my feeling is that they are concerned over the effect on other clubs. For example if Toronto replace Bradford and KR swap with Catalans that it is a big loss of revenue for other clubs (some of whom are financially on a knife edge) and the Big Bash........well you could play at a ground with one stand.

Those fixtures do look promising, I as I suspect you are thinking win those home games and away at Fev and you are in great shape. I haven't seen much of KR however I think back 2 years ago, Leigh tore teams to shreds in the regular season but struggled in the middle 8's, last year they were much more structured play-off rugby imo you need to complete your sets. My concern is Addy at Scrum half, I am assuming he is filling in for injuries/rested players.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Interesting middle 8 results, all competitive games. Didn't expect Fax or London to push KR/Catalans so close.

Sad day for Bradford who now are relegated to Championship 1, 12 points behind with 12 to play for however Swinton/Oldham meet later in the shield so it is all over. Some speculation that Nigel Wood will join the board of directors when he steps down from the RFL. The club desperately needs some positive news.

Late but very well played York who are the first Champ. 1 side to beat Toronto.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:44 am

The Beast wrote:Interesting middle 8 results, all competitive games.  Didn't expect Fax or London to push KR/Catalans so close.

Sad day for Bradford who now are relegated to Championship 1, 12 points behind with 12 to play for however Swinton/Oldham meet later in the shield so it is all over.  Some speculation that Nigel Wood will join the board of directors when he steps down from the RFL.  The club desperately needs some positive news.

Late but very well played York who are the first Champ. 1 side to beat Toronto.

Having been at the game 2 weeks ago. Was not surprised that Halifax pushed us close. We don't play good rugby (tends to be 5 drives and a kick), don't have a half back pairing. And Halifax had nothing to lose. The London result was a surprise, and they played very well. Big game for us this weekend away at Leigh.

Sorry about Bradford, expected but still disappointing. And once again players will be taken. The change of division 1 structure (top automatically goes up), could help you next year, but it's sad tor see Bradford'S decline which is all about missing management, and nothing to do with on the pitch things. And the fact that the 47 ex employees can sue really doesn't help (though can understand why).

Seeing as I don't think we'll go up, hopefully we'll both be supporting sides that are better next year Very Happy

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am

tigerrobins wrote:
The Beast wrote:Interesting middle 8 results, all competitive games.  Didn't expect Fax or London to push KR/Catalans so close.

Sad day for Bradford who now are relegated to Championship 1, 12 points behind with 12 to play for however Swinton/Oldham meet later in the shield so it is all over.  Some speculation that Nigel Wood will join the board of directors when he steps down from the RFL.  The club desperately needs some positive news.

Late but very well played York who are the first Champ. 1 side to beat Toronto.

Having been  at the game 2 weeks ago.  Was not surprised that Halifax pushed us close.  We don't play good rugby (tends to be 5 drives and a kick), don't have a half back pairing. And Halifax  had nothing to lose.  The London result  was a surprise,  and they played very well. Big game for us this weekend away at Leigh.

Sorry about Bradford, expected but still disappointing. And once again players will be taken. The change of division 1 structure  (top automatically goes up), could help you next year, but it's sad tor see Bradford'S decline which is all about missing management,  and nothing to do with on the pitch things. And the fact that the 47 ex employees can sue really doesn't help (though can understand why).

Seeing as I don't think we'll go up, hopefully we'll both be supporting sides that are better next year Very Happy

Good luck today, I am going out later to find a screening I don't think you will win but won't be too far away but a defeat unlike last week will imo not be a disaster. I see KR as being a serious threat particularly to Widnes not helped by the Rangi Chase issues.

Wild rumours continue to circle Odsal, Nigel Wood joining the Board, ground being sold with a new stadium across the road at the Richard Dunn site, Salford/Wakefield moving franchise to Bradford. Time will tell but it really cannot get much worse other than no rugby full stop. I can see (completely unqualified) a legal argument for the new club to be partly sued by ex-staff, (the new co. have been treated by the RFL as the old co.) however to me it is not reasonable to hold the new owners accountable.

Phil Clarke IMO pretty well hits the nail on the head here; http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12532/10981896/phil-clarke-looks-at-the-fall-of-bradford-bulls The only part he missed was loss of £150k central funding on top of the 12 point deduction.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Great win by the boys today. Not a pretty game but at this time of year it's all about the results. Thought Addy, Lawler & Lunt were outstanding. But everyone else played apart (apart from Ellis who was once again poor, and Marsh). With London next week at Home, then Fev away, could only need to win 1 of the SL games left.

As I said, I do believe that Bradford deserved the points deduction, but I think your right about the money, there was no harm in allowing Bradford to have it, and it would have helped in more ways than them not having it (after all who got it)? As I said at the time I also believe that the administrator screwed them, weather you would have kept the players who walked out is open to debate. But the way the whole thing went down stank.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Great  win by the boys today. Not a pretty game but at this time of year it's all about the results. Thought Addy, Lawler & Lunt were outstanding.  But everyone else played apart (apart from Ellis who was once again poor, and Marsh). With London next week at Home, then Fev away, could only need to win 1 of the SL games left.

As I said, I do believe that Bradford deserved the points deduction, but I think your right about the money, there was no harm in allowing Bradford to have it, and it would have helped in more ways than them not having it (after all who got it)? As I said at the time I also believe that the administrator screwed them, weather you would have kept the players who walked out is open to debate.  But the way the whole thing went down stank.

Yes, massive win assuming you do beat Fev & London which won't be easy Widnes is the game which will be key. I do take your point the attack which is a bit stilted and could bite you later but again imo completing your sets, kick chase, solid defence (great today by the way), ignoring the scoreboard are for me are at least as important as flashy moves in these games.

Bulls, should have been relegated from SL in 2012 and assuming history played out as it has down to Champ. 1 in 2017. Administration = relegation. It has been pointless,damaging and disheartening to stay in the respective divisions with points and financial penalties.

The Beast

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by gazzyD Yesterday at 1:54 pm

The Beast wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Great  win by the boys today. Not a pretty game but at this time of year it's all about the results. Thought Addy, Lawler & Lunt were outstanding.  But everyone else played apart (apart from Ellis who was once again poor, and Marsh). With London next week at Home, then Fev away, could only need to win 1 of the SL games left.

As I said, I do believe that Bradford deserved the points deduction, but I think your right about the money, there was no harm in allowing Bradford to have it, and it would have helped in more ways than them not having it (after all who got it)? As I said at the time I also believe that the administrator screwed them, weather you would have kept the players who walked out is open to debate.  But the way the whole thing went down stank.

Yes, massive win assuming you do beat Fev & London which won't be easy Widnes is the game which will be key.  I do take your point the attack which is a bit stilted and could bite you later but again imo completing your sets, kick chase, solid defence (great today by the way), ignoring the scoreboard are for me are at least as important as flashy moves in these games.

Bulls, should have been relegated from SL in 2012 and assuming history played out as it has down to Champ. 1 in 2017. Administration = relegation.  It has been pointless,damaging and disheartening to stay in the respective divisions with points and financial penalties.

Hopefully our win against Halifax can give us a bit of confidence and momentum. On the whole the past season and a half has not been good enough. I still think we'll do well to stay up though. If we go down then I think that will be it for Rugby League in Widnes. The town already aren't interested WITH super league, I can't see them getting the crowds at championship level to stay full time and get back up, even moreso if Betts stays on because even with Super League I know a lot of fans won't be renewing their tickets unless he walks

gazzyD

Posts : 4689
Join date : 2011-03-20
Age : 33
Location : Widnes

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by tigerrobins Today at 5:34 pm

I think the fact you still got 3 championship sides to play (although one is us at craven park), will help you get into the million pound game. As much as I think Widnes is a well run cluby, for a while I've been confused at your signings and players you've kept. Some I like, most think why. And of every a club should be looking at the championship for good young players it's Widnes. I also don't get this faith in Betts either, to me he's an average coach who's lucky to be in his position for so long.

As for the the club, the problem you have with which 4 football clubs are around you must affect the town, and the fact that you've not been overly successful in the last 30 years, while those around you have will also impact with younger fans. I hope you do stay in buisness, but if you do go down and they change the structure, it's very hard to see you coingredients back up. And as you now from last time ( and I do from the 13 years out of the top flight), that has a massive impact.

tigerrobins

Posts : 3227
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Bradford

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum