General RL Discussion!

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

A thread we're we can discuss our sides, what's happening in RL, the future and everything else to do with Rugby League.

I really hope that Cas can keep up there early form and stay in the top 8.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down


Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 6:05 pm

Pleased with Bradford's win at Doncaster yesterday (aside from the Flanagan moment of madness), much improved from the Workington loss. They would be top if not for York putting 144 on West Wales (a new record).

Due the Skolars game being postponed (snow) and the Oldham Good Friday game being changed to an evening K.O. I have not been this season. Being a Bank Holiday I can go on Sunday for the West Wales game but I will freely admit their result on Sunday (and Bulls 82 - 6 cup win earlier this year) are making the 4 hour round trip a tough sell.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Wed 02 May 2018, 1:35 pm

The Beast wrote:Pleased with Bradford's win at Doncaster yesterday (aside from the Flanagan moment of madness), much improved from the Workington loss.  They would be top if not for York putting 144 on West Wales (a new record).

Due the Skolars game being postponed (snow) and the Oldham Good Friday game being changed to an evening K.O. I have not been this season.  Being a Bank Holiday I can go on Sunday for the West Wales game but I will freely admit their result on Sunday (and Bulls 82 - 6 cup win earlier this year) are making the 4 hour round trip a tough sell.

Now how you feel, thanks to work and Rovers and other club's not playing on Sunday's I've only made 2 games (leeds away & Oldham away in the cup). Am going on Sunday v Wakefield though. But going is now a special occasion rather than a regularity.

Got to admit, if I was in your shoes it would be really hard to want to go to that game, not only a gaureented win, but a big score. I always find it boring, and even at the game don't watch it as much. Hopefully you'll be back in the championship next year, where it should at least be competitive.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Wed 02 May 2018, 9:11 pm

I am not going on Sunday I will listen to radio commentary as usual. The Bulls are in fairness tempting fans in by hosting the U19's v London Broncos before the first team which will likely be a better game but I will save my pennies for with respect more competitive home games still to play i.e. both Cumbrian sides, Doncaster and in particular York. Newcastle look to be decent but that is scheduled for a Friday evening = no chance.


The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Mon 07 May 2018, 8:52 am

Apparently there was a presentation last week largely via Wigan owner Ian Lenaghan who suggested SL clubs take a much larger role in running the game and finances.

No surprise to hear that that not all clubs and in particular Championship and League 1 teams not in agreement

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/16206862.Chalmers_column__Lack_of_support_for_Super_League_power_switch_an_important_message/

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Sat 12 May 2018, 1:11 pm

The Beast wrote:Apparently there was a presentation last week largely via Wigan owner Ian Lenaghan who suggested SL clubs take a much larger role in running the game and finances.

No surprise to hear that that not all clubs and in particular Championship and League 1 teams not in agreement

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/16206862.Chalmers_column__Lack_of_support_for_Super_League_power_switch_an_important_message/
Perhaps some Super League clubs, not all, need to set an example and make a profit every year and run their own academies. How a Super League club can't have an academy is beyond me.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1505
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 13 May 2018, 7:36 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Apparently there was a presentation last week largely via Wigan owner Ian Lenaghan who suggested SL clubs take a much larger role in running the game and finances.

No surprise to hear that that not all clubs and in particular Championship and League 1 teams not in agreement

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/16206862.Chalmers_column__Lack_of_support_for_Super_League_power_switch_an_important_message/
Perhaps some Super League clubs, not all, need to set an example and make a profit every year and run their own academies. How a Super League club can't have an academy is beyond me.

100% agree, if Bradford, London etc can run academies SL sides have no excuse. Reserve grade too, Championship side Halifax have a reserve team.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by gazzyD on Mon 14 May 2018, 12:25 pm

If ever there was proof that widnes was run like a 'jobs for the boys' organisation then we're seeing it

It looks as if the club aren't even going to comment on Betts telling fans to go and follow another team in his press conference the other night. Man is untouchable. Shows how incompetent James Rule is running the club

gazzyD

Posts : 4804
Join date : 2011-03-20
Age : 35
Location : Widnes

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 14 May 2018, 7:19 pm

gazzyD wrote:If ever there was proof that widnes was run like a 'jobs for the boys' organisation then we're seeing it

It looks as if the club aren't even going to comment on Betts telling fans to go and follow another team in his press conference the other night. Man is untouchable. Shows how incompetent James Rule is running the club

Got to be honest, as frustrated, annoyed, disappointed in my club I get. I'd hate to a Widnes fan. The view of mediocrity. We're every season is a re-run of the last, and nothing to cling on to or even look forward to. To offer fans no hope or even keep them interested, just seems shambolic to me.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 20 May 2018, 3:20 pm

I've been really disappointed by magic weekend. The only competitive game so far has been Widnes/Saints. With Saints just having to much. The other 3 have been disappointing one sided games.
Through to the terrible refereeing for Toronto in there game, to the expected (by me anyway) defeat for Rovers. Strange that one of the games people really weren't looking forward to (Wakefield/Huddersfield) could be the game of the weekend (started well).
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 20 May 2018, 9:42 pm

I only caught Toronto/Toulouse on Saturday, the former look like a SL with ball in hand, defence not so much. Exciting to watch but I am unconvinced this brand of rugby will get them through the 8's.

I saw Wakey/Hudds this afternoon, I thought Hudds were deserved winners, sure Wakey came back at them but I think they had a decent slice of luck via decisions and I am not sure how Pauli Pauli did not go to the bin for the late hit on Brough. Wakey now in danger of being dragged into the bottom four, big game v Widnes next week.

Only saw the 30 minutes of your game Luke. To be honest losing your hooker in the first minute then that freak kick hitting the post/cross bar try when KR were the better side for the first 20 minutes convinced me it was not going to be your day and sadly that is I see what happened, very unlucky. For reasons above and that you will hopefully get key players back (McGuire) I still do not see you as relegation candidates.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 20 May 2018, 11:40 pm

Unfortunately I do.

Injuries (McGuire's is a blood clot out for 2 months), add in Mulhern 3 months who's been outstanding this season. Heffernan with his concussion issues, and our other injuries 12 plus 2 today).
Players generally being not of a good enough standard. Sheens selections which just confuse. We just don't look good enough for this division.
The aim was always to just stay up no matter how it was achieved but looking at the teams who could be in the top 4 of the championship I'm slightly more worried now.

Agree Huddersfield looked good, but over all the weekend was just average, needs either shaking up or just getting rid off.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Mon 21 May 2018, 7:47 pm

I will admit to be looking forward to Leigh v Toronto (Sat) and perhaps London v Toulouse (Sun) at the big bash. If you still have injuries later in the year I would imagine some recruitment which in my mind, the lackthereof was a mistake 2 years ago.

You might get your way re; a Magic Weekend shake up, New York????

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Wed 23 May 2018, 2:57 pm

Saw that. Really don't understand why we would look to take am event to a land were the sport is alien, we're supporters aren't used to watching 3/4 games in a row other than on TV. Without at least a couple of years prep.
There are other cities around the British Isles which in my opinion .would be better suited, Dublin,Glasgow Birmingham etc.

Though I'm now more of the opinion that get rid of both events, cut easter to 1 game, and play the other on relevant weekends.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 27 May 2018, 12:30 am

Beast.

Did you watch the Leigh/Toronto game, if so what was it like?

Understand Toronto were as thuggish as at Warrington, is this true?
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 27 May 2018, 12:07 pm

Sadly not, nor the Warrington game where by all accounts they started well then completely lost the plot. This is my concern for them, fast and loose is great to watch but IMO come the middle 8's it is complete, kick-chase and tackle for your life that gets teams promoted i.e. KR last year.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:32 pm

I saw the Warrington game.
They did start well, but when they were penalised for there bullying they lost it. Dixon was just an idiot, but the rest were just what you expect from a Rowley team like when he was in charge of Leigh.
Looks like he's in trouble anyway as Leigh have reported him for what happened at the end, and his comments to Latham.
From what I understand they get away with it a lot in championship games, but this was the first time they couldn't get away with it so why they lost the plot.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Tue 29 May 2018, 10:39 am

Luke wrote:The date of Bradford's appeal against the 6 point deduction, is next Wednesday (4th). Whilst I have nothing against Bradford, I do feel that they went into administration so they have to deal with the penalty, (though did feel 4 would have been enough). Sorry Beast.

Though I do feel, that they either lose all 6, or get all 6 back. And that giving them a couple of points is wrong.
You are not wrong

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1505
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 11:07 pm

Catalans, Leeds & Today Warrington through the CC semi's. Saw the latter game this afternoon, Wire were very good in the first half, second half they seemed content to defend rather than build on their lead which was odd.

Wigan may have however more worries to come in the next few days if the video I have seen is confirmed to be of those alleged to be involved and goes mainstream.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 1:42 pm

Statement from Wigan regarding the alleged incident;

http://wiganwarriors.com/news/2018-06-03-club-statement

Joel Tompkins suspended for 4 weeks and fined £10k.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 3:09 pm

Wigan look to be a team drifting since its been announced that Warne's leaving.

Semi final double header could be interesting in terms of the crowd they get.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 6:46 pm

Yes it will I think better than seperate with quarter full staduims. Saints v Catalans, Wire v Leeds to me are attractive fixtures, hopefully the RFL will actually do some marketing and fill the ground. If it was a Saturday I would seriously consider it.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 12:22 am

No its on Sunday the 5th of August.

I sort of see were your coming from. Trouble is if it doesn't work and is only a half full stadium (capacity 28,000), or less than 20,000 we've really shot ourselves in the foot. Although 3 sides have goodish support so should be okay.
As for RFL Marketing it, there's more chance of me spending the night with Maria Sharapova. Still we can all dream.
.
On a side note, just how good was today's game. Had everything you'd want as a neutral. And after the last 3 games really showed how good the sport is and why we love it.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 5:11 pm

On a side note, just how good was today's game. Had everything you'd want as a neutral. And after the last 3 games really showed how good the sport is and why we love it.

Spot on. Hopefully the semi final day will see two more.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

Went out to see Warrington/Cas last night, fantastic game credit to both sides superb entertainment.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 2:30 pm

Didn't see it so can't comment.

But on a side note, I'm generally finding a lot of TV games boring.
There's now to much one man stuff, while trying to get a penalty every ruck, before trying to get a try off a kick. To much is about size and power, with skill a secondary requirement. And completion rates, rather than attack.
Though the current commentary team may have something to do with that, as they just annoying the he'll out of me and I can only listen for about 5 minutes before turning the sound off.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat 23 Jun 2018, 10:38 am

England squad for tonight's game v NZ in Denver.

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Sam Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Thomas Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs) Jake Connor (Hull FC), James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons), Ryan Hall (Leeds Rhinos), Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves), Jonny Lomax (St Helens), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan Warriors, captain), Mark Percival (St Helens), Stefan Ratchford (Warrington Wolves), James Roby (St Helens), Scott Taylor (Hull FC), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons).

I probably have ripped to shreds the fact this is being played in Denver, Colorado however it does make some sense and reports suggest a crowd of around 20k are expected.

England likely to pair Widdop & Lomax in the halves with Ratchford at FB, Makinson to make his debut on the wing, hopefully Bateman at SR not Centre.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 1:11 pm

London get the qualifiers off to a start. By beating Widnes away 21-20. And Grubb sustains an injury. Absolutely shocking start for Widnes. If we beat Salford tonight (hopefully), Widnes very Salford next week takes on giant proportions.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

Oh s***. Didn't turn up tonight and we're beaten by the better side. Puts extra pressure on our trip to Toronto that we didn't need. Salford win next week, and they could be staying up.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm

Luke wrote:Oh s***. Didn't turn up tonight and we're beaten by the better side. Puts extra pressure on our trip to Toronto that we didn't need. Salford win next week, and they could be staying up.

Not sure which result surprised me more to be honest. After seeing KR winning the derby game I was very confident almost to the point of assuming you would win, perhaps the players were too. Next week is now a must win otherwise the MPG game beckons.

Widnes are in a deep dark hole, possible but it will need a hell of an effort from a team who have won 3 games all year, Salford then Toulouse both away coming up for them.


The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 9:07 am

I managed to get out to see Leeds v Toulouse yesterday, 48 - 22 scoreline did not reflect the game IMO. Leeds were the better side and dominated the first 30 only for Toulouse to drag them back to 20 - 16 at h/t.

Three key incidents in the second half for my money, Toulouse bombed a try under the posts that would have given them the lead. A referee error then gave Leeds a scrum 10 yards out that they scored from. How Dom Crosby did not even get a yellow for a high swinging arm of the head of Tyla Hepi is beyond me.

Leeds came home with a wet sail and deserved their win, Toulouse pack and defence not SL standard however their off-load and passing game great entertainment when they get it right.

Meanwhile in League 1 York are now top having beaten West Wales 0 - 130. Sad to report that again the home side could only field 14 players and during the second half only had 12 fit. Are you watching RFL? Or are you waiting for them not to be able to forfill their fixtures?

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 8:57 am

Luke wrote:Oh s***. Didn't turn up tonight and we're beaten by the better side. Puts extra pressure on our trip to Toronto that we didn't need. Salford win next week, and they could be staying up.
Stating the obvious, but if you don't beat Toronto the weekend you could be in serious trouble, but i think you will win in a close game.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1505
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:30 am

Jamie child was his usual poor self. But we were average at best. Players not performing, and I'm not sure what our game plan was.
But in saying that, we won. And as we now in the 8's that's the main thing. A week off then Leeds.

Widnes are now in a very dodgy place, but Salford you have to fancy will be staying up.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:41 am

BIG win for you, in these qualifiers it simply does not matter how you get the job done imo complete your sets, kick well defend like your lives depend on it but the game ebbed and flowed enough to be entertaining. I do agree Child gave some odd decisions and seemed to ignore any number of high tackles particularly by Toronto who otherwise showed they are a threat.

Leeds now without Hall & Garbutt, hopefully you will have Blair, Lunt, Carney.

Widnes.........yes not only 0 -2 but to the best of my knowledge they have not won a league game since late March, confidence has to be low. Agree with the Salford comments, 2 wins over SL sides, one being away should be ok unless the wheels come off.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:06 pm

Think your right. Dosent matter how you play know, it just matters about the result. And as you say, it's probably as good playing basic rugby.

Blair has been a massive miss, the other 2 just aren't performing .Especially Lunt. And given how good Atkin has been, rather he played then Carney.

Widnes have been poor all season, and with there off field dramas earlier. It's hard to see them pulling together. The loss of Grubb is big.
Got to say, the signing of Hastings has turned out to be a good one, he seems to have really galvanised them.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:24 pm

Challenge Cup Final on Saturday, not any outside the game would know, where is the publicity?

I fancy Catalans to win, they appear to putting all their eggs in this basket and why not when so far behind the top 4 in SL.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 6:20 am

The Beast wrote:Challenge Cup Final on Saturday, not any outside the game would know, where is the publicity?  

I fancy Catalans to win, they appear to putting all their eggs in this basket and why not when so far behind the top 4 in SL.

It has been really poorly publicised, and given that it looks like there's going to be a poor crowd. You have to wonder why it hasn't been pushed for the last 3 weeks.

Catalans have a good side, but I just think Warrington will edge it. Whoever wins I think it should be a great final.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 26 Aug 2018, 6:14 am

Well I was wrong.
As Catalans win 20-14. In what was a very average game. They started well, and there defence and go forward was better than Wire's. And they were clinical.
Warrington were poor, to many mistakes.stupid passes. There middle didn't turn up (first time I've seen Roberts, he's s***).
Congratulations to Catalans.
Biggest problem will be on rl sites. Which will now all be about how great expansion is.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 26 Aug 2018, 8:09 am

Luke wrote:Well I was wrong.
As Catalans win 20-14. In what was a very average game. They started well, and there defence and go forward was better than Wire's. And they were clinical.
Warrington were poor, to many mistakes.stupid passes. There middle didn't turn up (first time I've seen Roberts, he's s***).
Congratulations to Catalans.
Biggest problem will be on rl  sites. Which will now all be about how great expansion is.

Not a classic but not too bad a game imo, what it lacked for me were great tries or particularly memorable moments of skill.  I thought Catalans (particularly their middles) were very good for an hour after which they stopped playing, asked for trouble and nearly got it.  Warrington played the whole game like there was 10 minutes to go, very fidgety. Credit to Catalans and Steve McNamara who have turned their season round completely.  Tony Gigot has had quite the 12 months too, banned, cleared, banned again, cleared and wins the Lance Todd Trophy.

Sad to see such a low crowd, reasons mentioned + the trains or lack thereof not helping.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Pal Joey on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 10:24 am

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:Well I was wrong.
As Catalans win 20-14. In what was a very average game. They started well, and there defence and go forward was better than Wire's. And they were clinical.
Warrington were poor, to many mistakes.stupid passes. There middle didn't turn up (first time I've seen Roberts, he's s***).
Congratulations to Catalans.
Biggest problem will be on rl  sites. Which will now all be about how great expansion is.

Not a classic but not too bad a game imo, what it lacked for me were great tries or particularly memorable moments of skill.  I thought Catalans (particularly their middles) were very good for an hour after which they stopped playing, asked for trouble and nearly got it.  Warrington played the whole game like there was 10 minutes to go, very fidgety. Credit to Catalans and Steve McNamara who have turned their season round completely.  Tony Gigot has had quite the 12 months too, banned, cleared, banned again, cleared and wins the Lance Todd Trophy.

Sad to see such a low crowd, reasons mentioned + the trains or lack thereof not helping.

I managed to catch the game after a great night out in town (in a basement bar right above the Tank Stream... which is now a big old drain) ....... then luckily got a swift uber ride back home to arrive just in time before kick off.

I thought Catalans got out of the blocks well and caught Warrington on the hop early and they never really recovered from those initial phases leading up to the early try. Decent probing runs with most of the possession and field position in the first half from Catalans.
You could see they were working hard for each other. Pretty workman-like defence. They were all well and truly up for it and that must have shocked the Wolves... they didn't seem to adjust to the play well enough.

Agree, they took the foot off a bit in the second half giving Warrington a sniff.... maybe they were a bit tired?.. made a few too many errors handing the ball back to a still dangerous-with-ball Warrington... and almost blowing it the longer the second half progressed.

Still, a good decent game to watch with some heart stopping moments.
The Catalans fan were great with all their flags... the game deserved a bigger crowd yet the atmosphere still seemed pretty vocal and loud.

It's hard to believe I was at the 1990 Challenge Cup... 28 years 3 months ago (since the final was played in May back then) when Wigan thrashed Warrington 36-14. Although one sided scoreline it was a spectacular game with great tries from Hanley, Iro, & co. 77,729 were there that day.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Posts : 48485
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : On the plains

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 1:10 pm

Pal Joey wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:Well I was wrong.
As Catalans win 20-14. In what was a very average game. They started well, and there defence and go forward was better than Wire's. And they were clinical.
Warrington were poor, to many mistakes.stupid passes. There middle didn't turn up (first time I've seen Roberts, he's s***).
Congratulations to Catalans.
Biggest problem will be on rl  sites. Which will now all be about how great expansion is.

Not a classic but not too bad a game imo, what it lacked for me were great tries or particularly memorable moments of skill.  I thought Catalans (particularly their middles) were very good for an hour after which they stopped playing, asked for trouble and nearly got it.  Warrington played the whole game like there was 10 minutes to go, very fidgety. Credit to Catalans and Steve McNamara who have turned their season round completely.  Tony Gigot has had quite the 12 months too, banned, cleared, banned again, cleared and wins the Lance Todd Trophy.

Sad to see such a low crowd, reasons mentioned + the trains or lack thereof not helping.

I managed to catch the game after a great night out in town (in a basement bar right above the Tank Stream... which is now a big old drain) ....... then luckily got a swift uber ride back home to arrive just in time before kick off.

I thought Catalans got out of the blocks well and caught Warrington on the hop early and they never really recovered from those initial phases leading up to the early try. Decent probing runs with most of the possession and field position in the first half from Catalans.
You could see they were working hard for each other. Pretty workman-like defence. They were all well and truly up for it and that must have shocked the Wolves... they didn't seem to adjust to the play well enough.

Agree, they took the foot off a bit in the second half giving Warrington a sniff.... maybe they were a bit tired?.. made a few too many errors handing the ball back to a still dangerous-with-ball Warrington... and almost blowing it the longer the second half progressed.

Still, a good decent game to watch with some heart stopping moments.
The Catalans fan were great with all their flags... the game deserved a bigger crowd yet the atmosphere still seemed pretty vocal and loud.

It's hard to believe I was at the 1990 Challenge Cup... 28 years 3 months ago (since the final was played in May back then) when Wigan thrashed Warrington 36-14. Although one sided scoreline it was a spectacular game with great tries from Hanley, Iro, & co. 77,729 were there that day.

Agree with your comments about catalan.

Back then it was the big day out along with the premiership final (3 games 1 day).
Nowadays you got this, magic/big bash. Grand finals.Catalan/Toulouse & Toronto depending which league they're all in.given the state of the economy and how tight money is. Most people are to pick only one. And generally the one there teams in. The problem nowadays is neutrals aren't going. Although playing it on a bank holiday in August, when there football on. Is always asking for trouble.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 02 Sep 2018, 8:16 am

Really really stunned at the Widnes result and particularly scoreline.  They have Leeds/Toronto and KR to come, sorry to say I don't think they will even make the MPG, which looking at the table and fixtures I can see being Toronto v Toulouse/London granted there is a lot of rugby to be played.

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Sun 02 Sep 2018, 10:31 am

They got Leeds next week. In what is a really must win game for them. I don't quite understand how it has gone so wrong for them. The big result was the loss to London. As that was the one you'd think they'd win to at least get some points on the board.

And for the 3rd year in a row, the Middle 8's has provided. Great games, very close scorelines, intrigue and again everything you would want from this type of league.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Wed 05 Sep 2018, 5:56 pm

Luke wrote:They got Leeds next week. In what is a really must win game for them. I don't quite understand how it has gone so wrong for them. The big result was the loss to London. As that was the one you'd think they'd win to at least get some points on the board.

And for the 3rd year in a row, the Middle 8's has provided. Great games, very close scorelines,  intrigue and again everything you would want from this type of league.

The lack of confidence and fear is clear to see, I do feel for Francis Cummings who may well progress and become a successful coach perhaps in the same way as Steve McNamara however right now he looks to be the wrong man in the wrong place. In mind they need a virtual miracle to avoid the drop, it would be an achievement at this point to make the MPG.

Agree with your middle 8's comments, Super 8's are flat as a pancake, wake me up for the semi-finals. There is a meeting on 14/9 to discuss the proposals for changes to the Championship/League 1 (likely with a view to changing SL P&R), I thought you might find Bulls Chairman Andrew Chalmers (who has if late been speaking on behalf of League 1 clubs) comments interesting from last Friday.

http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/article/51720/andrew-chalmers-middle-s-is-sheer-brilliance

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 2:37 am

I actually agree with him. The last 3 seasons the middle 8's have been pretty much the only thing of interest in RL. I understand the arguments against it. But let's face it, if it was 1 up 1 down. The league would have been over by june. And we'd be trundling towards next season. With little interest.

Take Saturday's game. Yes it was a great game of rugby. But if it was just a league game the emotions and drama of the game would have been nothing near what they were.
The whole argument isn't about the game. Or what's best for the game, it's just solely about money.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Sun 09 Sep 2018, 8:15 pm

Very interesting and very well constructed thoughts from Batley Chairman Kevin Nichols ahead of next Friday's meeting to discuss league structures;

http://www.batleybulldogs.co.uk/2018/09/08/chairmans-statement-game-restructure-proposals/

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 5:17 pm

A lot of what he says I've been saying for a while. And it makes sense. Trouble is we know the SL chairmen are in it for money for there clubs and don't care about RL.
avatar
Luke

Posts : 3768
Join date : 2011-03-16
Location : Wst Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 8:31 pm

I'm enjoying the middle 8's this season and did last, but i suspect this will be the last season of them.Probably looking at one up one down next season between the Championship and Super League
As regards the Super League clubs. I would go for a top 8 with 1 playing 8, 2 playing 7 etc on straight knock out basis, with no 2nd chances

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1505
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 7:20 pm

Well the two respective Hull Chairmen have......interesting views. Strongly worded is putting it mildly nearer a direct threat.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-structure-pearson-hudgell-1996292


The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 8:28 am

The Beast wrote:Well the two respective Hull Chairmen have......interesting views.  Strongly worded is putting it mildly nearer a direct threat.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-structure-pearson-hudgell-1996292

Fridays meeting will certainly be interesting.
With a one up and down rule we could have Teams from Canada, London and and other teams from France in Super League within 5 years if not before. Bring it on i say.

George Hotel1895

Posts : 1505
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : A place i call paradise

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 8:39 pm

Good luck to whoever is chairing the meeting.

The problem boils down (as usual) to money SL wants a larger slice of the pie, if the proposal goes through and the next TV deal is £30m or less the RFL and lower league clubs money goes from £10m to zero which I would have thought would be the final nail in the coffin for a number of clubs (yes there could be a debate regarding mergers which whilst painful might be a way forward).

This is well worth a read and if the report of SL clubs threatening dual reg partners is true is imo very worrying.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/16859328.super-league-club-is-accused-of-bullying-before-big-vote/

The Beast

Posts : 832
Join date : 2012-04-21
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum