The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Beat the All Blacks

+9
chewed_mintie
disneychilly
bedfordwelsh
aucklandlaurie
GloriousEmpire
emack2
Taylorman
Steffan
kingjohn7
13 posters

Go down

We Beat the All Blacks Empty We Beat the All Blacks

Post by kingjohn7 Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi guys just watched this programme on iPlayer. About Llanelli beating the All Blacks. Did anyone catch it? Thought it was excellent and really transports you back to a different rugby era. Definitely worth a watch.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

We Beat the All Blacks Empty Re: We Beat the All Blacks

Post by Steffan Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 am

Did they really beat the Allblacks? Crikey the Llanelli fans have never mentioned that before

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am

Back in the long tour days it was fairly common...ish. From memory...Newport- the only AB loss in 63/64 with the drop goal, Llanelli, north western counties, midland counties or some name like that, Cardiff in 53/54, Munster etc.

Its a pity those combined counties played them under those names- assuming theyre a put together side across several clubs- unlike 'Newport' or 'Llanelli' has a history of its own and can 'own' the win...

Thats one good thing about no more long tours I suppose...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 am

One story I've heard is the Newport club has a picture in the club foyer of the day the beat the AB's. The picture shows a brilliant clear day with the drop goal soaring high above the uprights in all its beautiful glory... when the AB's who recall it remember a dull, gray wet day where the drop goal just 'flopped' over the bar by an inch from an almost 'mis-hit'

mind you...I suppose they would...

Does anyone have a recollection of the day?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

Four Wales Club sides beat the AllBlacks Swansea 1935 with the young Wilfred Wooler,Cardiff with Cliff Morgan
and Co.1963 Newport and the Uzzell dropped goal [a fluke as he later admitted]Earl Kirton`s first AB start. and
most importantly Don Clarke was given no kickable chances in range.Which for him was 65 yards from Goal at
least[he was credited with one of 84 yards in a club game].
Llanelli were the last of the big four to do it in 1972-3 the last long[full sized]AB tour.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Yes I remember Kirton was made scapegoat for the Newport loss..hes grumbled that via past interviews in the way he normally grumbles.  Very Happy 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I hear the All Blacks were tired, or rusty, but on their day they could've won.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Steffan wrote:Did they really beat the Allblacks? Crikey the Llanelli fans have never mentioned that before

Never been to a Max Boyce show in the last 40 years Steffan?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:44 pm

I have always wondered why its the Llanelli v All Blacks games is the only one all the fuss is made about when others teams have done the same.

Is it purely down to the impact of the Max Boyce song?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Munster have the same song and dance (no pun intended) with their stage production.

I recall the Cote d'Azur XV and the Cote Basque XV knocking NZ over in 1990. France don't seem to give a toss.

Cheers for the stats Emack-was sure we lost to Cardiff at some stage mid last century.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:02 am

I think we stumbled to Cardiff in 1953, Disney. I seem to recall the last of the longer tours was 1997, and even then I believe the only club side we played was Llanelli, which resulted in a scoreline of 70-odd 3 to the ABS’. Really was the death-knell of the traditional club v country fixture. Having said that, the Munster game in 2009 was special.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 am

disneychilly wrote:Munster have the same song and dance (no pun intended) with their stage production.

I recall the Cote d'Azur XV and the Cote Basque XV knocking NZ over in 1990. France don't seem to give a toss.

Cheers for the stats Emack-was sure we lost to Cardiff at some stage mid last century.

yeah I remember the Côte basque-landes XV 18-12 win (just before the infamous battle of Nantes). that AB team had the likes of Kirwan, Michael Jones and Gatland Smile . Dont recall this côte d'azur XV game though. it's funny all those "regional" teams disapeared when rugby went pro in France (1995 was the last CBL game against the Lomu's AB), otherwise we would have a very similar sytem to Ireland (those regions / committees put together are actually the FFR in a way).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Ireland just beat the full-strength All Blacks / Keewees not two weeks ago.  Fock Welsh historonics, and Munsters Epic victory over a 3rd strength side back in the 70's. Give me present day reality.  They hadn't been beaten for ions apparently.

Now for England. And then the World Cup.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Gibson, you're thinking of the Black Ferns not the All Blacks Wink

Should be a cracking encounter tonight though!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:35 pm

We Beat The All Blacks just showed what a dirty team the AB's were kicking and punching opponents. If the video ref was about then they would be playing with 10 men. Thing was The Turks had the greatest coach the world had seen and the AB's had no answer to men harder than them.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down