The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wrestlemania 30 - The Card

3 posters

Go down

Wrestlemania 30 - The Card Empty Wrestlemania 30 - The Card

Post by JoshSansom Sun 6 Apr - 9:43

Simultaneously it feels as though WM has been months in the making and yet very rushed. I have been busy with work etc over the last few weeks but was still shocked to realise that last Monday's Raw was the go-home show and that it is here and now. Definitely feels as though some feuds need some more time but we are where we are... So, what to make of the card? Four main events that highlight a lack of star power or the chance for a WM event to really sparkle and surprise under the weight of less expectation, pressure and big names?

Lets run down the card:

The Usos (c) vs. Los Matadores vs. Ryback and Curtis Axel vs. The Real Americans (Tag Team Titles)

The pre-show will kick off as it usually does with a fun, high energy match up. I would hope that with a two hour pre-show this one will break things up and is sure to good fun and high action.

Can't see the Usos losing this one, face victory on the pre-show for WM would make sense. Even being this sure though I would still enjoy the match.

PREDICTION: The main WM feels light on at least one match (probably two) so my predictions on matches that will be added to the card are included as well:

*Additional Match* Jack Swagger v Antonio Cesaro
I suspect that there will be continued discontent between the Real Americans. The Tag match will happen early in the pre-show and the panel will cut back and forth to arguments between the pair with Zeb Colter. This will lead to Colter getting a match booked between the two with Zeb managing the winner. Cesaro to win and continue the Real American gimmick as a face.

The Shield v Kane & The New Age Outlaws
One the face of it this match is a bit of a let down for one of the most over groups in wrestling over the last 12 months. Is there a reason they have pulled the plug on the Shield split? Well I can see this path being trodden at Mania itself with WWE pulling the ol'switcheroo, convincing the viewers that the Shield are back on the same page miss-communication leads to their defeat.

For me this will open the night followed by Daniel Bryan v HHH. Afterwards the Shield members are seen arguing and a brawl breaks out only to be interrupted by a returning.... Rock! He say that he has watched the group with a close eye over the last year, one man in particular (look to Reigns) and he thinks the time is now for them to seize the moment. So he has spoken with Stephanie and later that night all three members of the Shield will face off, against each other with the US Title on the line.

*Additional Match* Dean Ambrose v Seth Rollins v Roman Reigns (US Title)
No problem with the idea of these three doing double duty. All are good enough in the ring and in good enough condition and the match would be very special. It is one of the matches that the crowd wants to see. These three could put on a showstealing match worth of being the lead undercard bout. Reigns would go over pinning Ambrose leading to a jealous Ambrose seeking revenge and all three facing off again at Extreme Rules in a gimmick match.

Excitement-o-meter Rating: 7/10

Vickie Guerrero Divas Invitational (Divas Title)
I really am not sure what the creative team were snorting when they came up with a one fall to a finish match with about 300 Divas involved... I am not sure how they will get a finish beyond a cheap roll up. I doubt it will be a catch as catch can masterpiece and beyond an advert for Total Divas I am not sure why it is there... maybe the Superdome has a long walk to the bathroom line?

N.B. this really is a sad time for wrestling fans. We have had wrestlers on TV shows to promote and draw for wrestling events but we now appear to have wrestlers appearing on wrestling shows to promote and draw a TV series. A line in the sand has been drawn and I fear we will see it more and more.

The only thing that I am hoping for is some form of nice tribute to Mae Young within this.

Excitement-o-meter Rating: -10/10

Andre the Giant Battle Royal
The WWE has done a good job of building up something interesting in this one. Even if it is just to see whether Big Show is one again pushed only to lose at Mania. There are a number of interconnected mini-feuds going on here and it feels as though they did not know how to position people into relevant singles/tag action so merely lumped the rest of the roster into a single match.

Everyone that "should" be on the card will be but a lot of people that "should" be doing a lot more won't be. It is always doubtful how effective these type of matches are. With the number of storylines within there it feels as though they need 20 minutes to tell it effectively, I cannot see them giving it more than 10 and would bank on the entrances being longer than the actual match.

Excitement-o-meter Rating: 4/10

John Cena v Bray Wyatt
Undoubtedly the build of the last month. No match has been better and more logically positioned. Not only that but the build has worked for both and both will come out of this stronger than they went in win or lose. This is a key one with Cena feuds as younger heels are normally booked in a specific way where they almost have to win in order to look strong with losses really affecting them. I don't get the same feeling about Wyatt. Originally I thought that his gimmick and aura would be lost be defeats but he.they have been very clever with this and it now feels as though (within reason) wins and losses will not adversely affect his character.

This is a match more about the build than the payoff but that doesn't mean that I am not looking forward to it and not expecting it to be suspenseful, gripping and involve some great storytelling.

Excitement-o-meter Rating: 9/10

Brock Lesnar v The Undertaker (Streak Match)
The Beast has been more like a puppy up until Monday's Raw. Even then, it felt like too little, too late. I am not feeling anywhere near as hyped as I was for the Taker/HHH matches. I doubt even Mojo Rawley has been able to stay hyped for this one.

It is such a shame as well. The match may be 10 years too late and the result may be obvious but their backgrounds, styles and history should have been able to build a more compelling scenario than this.

Excitement-o-meter Rating: 5/10

HHH v Daniel Bryan / Randy Orton (c) vs. Batista vs. HHH/Daniel Bryan (WWE WHC)
As above I do believe that the Bryan/HHH match will come onto the card in an effort to build the crowd up. HHH's work has been fantastic in the build up to this and regardless of the conjecture of whether this was WWE's original plan or not they have done a sterling job of making DB a credible and sympathetic face that people will root for. This isn't always the easiest things to do if you as Mr. Bautista.

I can't see a way DB doesn't win and I would like / expect to see him do so by submission. To have HHH tap out would be a great thing for the event and Bryan himself.

With the Title match going on last I can see that there will be a lot of spots to build up with video packages and interviews. Essentially there is no goo reason for this not to be a Daniel Bryan victory. Am I excited for the match? Yes but not as much as the Bryan/HHH one, which is the true emotional payoff. I can see HHH trying to get involved in the main event before Batista gets pinned clean at the end.

Daniel Bryan holding the title aloft as 72,000 people chant "YES!"

Excitement-o-meter Rating: 8/10

=====

Overall, I am feeling as though the event will be more than the sum of its parts and will pleasantly surprise. I would fully expect them to add some ad-hoc matches to the event. Hopefully the ones I have mentioned as I think they would really add something to the card, but even if not I am sure that there will be some.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Wrestlemania 30 - The Card Empty Re: Wrestlemania 30 - The Card

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 6 Apr - 20:52

For what its worth, I think the Andre The Giant Battle Royal is the best piece of booking WWE have made in the 3 years since I came back to watching.

Now instead of the usual lull of feuds where WrestleMania gets in the way and people either get given crap and unimportant matches, or their feud just grinds to a halt cos Mania season is here and they are not worthy enough, now we get to have them all carry on into a match where they won't have to carry the full attention of a baying crowd, but they dont just disappear illogically. It also allows new feuds to be begun.

They had nothing good for Sheamus, Ziggler, Big E etc so have given them something that is billed as important but it also novel enough to hide the fact that it isn't.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Sun 6 Apr - 20:56

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:For what its worth, I think the Andre The Giant Battle Royal is the best piece of booking WWE have made in the 3 years since I came back to watching.

Now instead of the usual lull of feuds where WrestleMania gets in the way and people either get given crap and unimportant matches, or their feud just grinds to a halt cos Mania season is here and they are not worthy enough, now we get to have them all carry on into a match where they won't have to carry the full attention of a baying crowd, but they dont just disappear illogically. It also allows new feuds to be begun.

They had nothing good for Sheamus, Ziggler, Big E etc so have given them something that is billed as important but it also novel enough to hide the fact that it isn't.

However, all those guys have had TV feuds. The Battle Royal may see some, all or none of those issues addressed and ultimately none of them are used as a draw to the crowd. The match has been booked around the Big Show being invincible and for the audience to want to see if anyone else will be able to defeat him. It feels as though the other feuds were a combination of TV filler and a means of segwaying people into the Battle Royal itself.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 6 Apr - 21:17

TV feuds that build into this. Generally, at this time of year there's a lot of filler that goes nowhere. This is damaging for everyone involved. The commentators have nothing to talk about when they're on screen so talk about different matches. Now the relevance has been the Battle Royal. They are all being presented as important.

I have no problem with some of (and you'd be daft to say the whole thing is presented around Big Show) the booking to encompass whether someone of his size can be defeated, especially given the obvious comparisons with Andre.

I also think its good that feuds the crowd are less interested in get thrown into the mix, keeping them fresh and relevant but not over selling them.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 7 Apr - 0:44

I dont think its been booked around big show but I do think they have made him look a beast just so somebody will get a huge pay off by eliminating him to win

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Mon 7 Apr - 2:28

Just read the card and the order looks like this apparently

Pre Show - Tag Team Titles
Opener - Shield v NAO & Kane
ATG Battle Royal
Cena v Wyatt
Undertaker v Lesnar
Divas
Bryan vs HHH
WWE World Title Triple Threat

Very surprised that either Bryan/HHH or both will have to wrestle back to back,will the audience be able to cope?

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Mon 7 Apr - 3:10

Brilliant_yep wrote:Just read the card and the order looks like this apparently

Pre Show - Tag Team Titles
Opener - Shield v NAO & Kane
ATG Battle Royal
Cena v Wyatt
Undertaker v Lesnar
Divas
Bryan vs HHH
WWE World Title Triple Threat

Very surprised that either Bryan/HHH or both will have to wrestle back to back,will the audience be able to cope?

Not expecting that to be the order. Discussed Bryan/HHH and the WWE title match together due to the combined storylines.

I would guess at:

Pre Show - Tag Titles
Shield v Kane/NAO
Bryan v HHH
Battle Royal
Ambrose v Rollins v Reigns *Additional Match*
Cesaro v Swagger *Additional Match*
Cena v Wyatt
Taker v Lesnar
Divas Match
WWE HHC Match

JoshSansom