The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke.

+10
CaledonianCraig
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
Gerry SA
sportform
Bull
mystiroakey
Fernando
dyrewolfe
GSC
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke. Empty Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke.

Post by Fernando Wed 16 Apr 2014, 3:13 pm

Formula 1 returns to the Far East this week as China hosts the fourth round of the 2014 Formula 1 season.
It has been Lewis Hamilton's season so far, with the Mercedes driver having won two of the first three races.
On a circuit at which he has triumphed twice before, can Hamilton pick up win number three and build on his early charge for a second Formula 1 title?

The Shanghai International Circuit always provides a frenetic and challenging race, thanks to its long straights, eclectic mix of corners and unpredictable weather.
The 5.451km track features the longest straight on the F1 calendar, the end of which also offers the best overtaking point on the circuit.
The Hermann Tilke-designed circuit's corners are predominantly low speed, some of them having an extended radius with tightening arcs, posing a real challenge to drivers.

Just over a decade ago, the area where the Shanghai International Circuit currently stands was nothing more than marshland. It was converted into an F1 venue in 2003, and held its first race the following year.

Located on the outskirts of Shanghai, the circuit shares similarities with the Chinese city's futuristic style. The stand-out feature is the wing that connects the main grandstand with the pit building over the track.
The team bases in the paddock are arranged like pavilions in a lake, designed to resemble the ancient Yuyuan Garden in Shanghai.
The main stand can hold 29,000 spectators, with the whole venue having the capacity for 200,000 race goers.

Weather Forecast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/1796236
Source: bbc sport

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke. Empty Re: Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke.

Post by Guest Wed 16 Apr 2014, 4:00 pm

China's produced some of the best races of recent years, hopefully another. Who will come out on top in another chapter of the Hamilton/Rosberg show?

Back to top Go down

Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke. Empty Re: Chinese GP Thread contains Spoilers of Race/Qualifying (who cares about practice) - Sponsored by my local chinese takeaway run by the weird Korean Bloke.

Post by GSC Wed 16 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

Should be less of a cakewalk than Bahrain, but a cakewalk nonetheless. One long back straight, and a medium length straight on the start finish line.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 17 Apr 2014, 1:06 pm

Wet quali and dry race apparently
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 17 Apr 2014, 2:15 pm

So, no major surprises this time around, barring reliability issues...

Then again, Bahrain wasn't supposed to be particularly thrilling. Guess I'll be making the effort to get up early.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:04 pm

Mercedes are bring the most expensive new front wing to China in F1 history. So much for cost cutting measures, It passed crash tests at the 4th attempt. Expect to see a smaller Mercedes then usual.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:00 am

First Practice
Shanghai, Friday 18 April 2014

Driver Car Team Fastest Lap
1 Fernando Alonso 14 Ferrari 1:39.783
2 Nico Rosberg 6 Mercedes 1:40.181
3 Daniel Ricciardo 3 Red Bull 1:40.772
4 Jenson Button 22 McLaren 1:40.970
5 Nico Hulkenberg 27 Force India 1:41.175
6 Kevin Magnussen 20 McLaren 1:41.366
7 Jean-Eric Vergne 25 Toro Rosso 1:41.505
8 Lewis Hamilton 44 Mercedes 1:41.560
9 Sebastian Vettel 1 Red Bull 1:41.629
10 Felipe Massa 19 Williams 1:41.699
11 Daniil Kvyat 26 Toro Rosso 1:41.977
12 Romain Grosjean 8 Lotus 1:42.090
13 Felipe Nasr 77 Williams 1:42.265
14 Giedo van der Garde 99 Sauber 1:42.615
15 Sergio Perez 11 Force India 1:42.733
16 Pastor Maldonado 13 Lotus 1:43.731
17 Kamui Kobayashi 10 Caterham 1:44.038
18 Esteban Gutierrez 21 Sauber 1:44.162
19 Jules Bianchi 17 Marussia 1:44.270
20 Max Chilton 4 Marussia 1:44.782
21 Marcus Ericsson 9 Caterham 1:44.835
22 Kimi Raikkonen 7 Ferrari No time

Second Practice
Shanghai, Friday 18 April 2014

Driver Car Team Fastest Lap
1 Lewis Hamilton 44 Mercedes 1:38.315
2 Fernando Alonso 14 Ferrari 1:38.456
3 Nico Rosberg 6 Mercedes 1:38.726
4 Daniel Ricciardo 3 Red Bull 1:38.811
5 Sebastian Vettel 1 Red Bull 1:39.015
6 Felipe Massa 19 Williams 1:39.118
7 Kimi Raikkonen 7 Ferrari 1:39.283
8 Jenson Button 22 McLaren 1:39.491
9 Romain Grosjean 8 Lotus 1:39.537
10 Daniil Kvyat 26 Toro Rosso 1:39.648
11 Nico Hulkenberg 27 Force India 1:39.736
12 Kevin Magnussen 20 McLaren 1:39.744
13 Jean-Eric Vergne 25 Toro Rosso 1:39.759
14 Valtteri Bottas 77 Williams 1:39.830
15 Sergio Perez 11 Force India 1:40.124
16 Esteban Gutierrez 21 Sauber 1:40.359
17 Adrian Sutil 99 Sauber 1:40.395
18 Pastor Maldonado 13 Lotus 1:40.455
19 Jules Bianchi 17 Marussia 1:42.327
20 Max Chilton 4 Marussia 1:43.473
21 Kamui Kobayashi 10 Caterham 1:43.530
22 Marcus Ericsson 9 Caterham 1:43.679

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:41 am

Lewis Hamilton took his third pole position in four races this season with a stunning performance in qualifying at the Chinese Grand Prix.

Hamilton was more than half a second clear of Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo in treacherous wet conditions.

Sebastian Vettel was third as Nico Rosberg took fourth after spinning his Mercedes in a vain attempt to close the 1.2-second margin to his team-mate.
Ferrari's Fernando Alonso took fifth from the Williams of Felipe Massa.
Hamilton was in irresistible form throughout qualifying, fastest in all three parts, and each time by about the same margin.
"Definitely the most satisfaction is getting this result when it is raining," said Hamilton. "It was so slippery out there, trying to find the grip and not make mistakes.
"It was a tough session, but the car was feeling great. There are some things that can be improved on but it has put us in a good position for the race."
Vettel was the quickest Red Bull in the first two knock-out sections, but Ricciardo beat the four-time champion when it counted and by an impressive 0.505secs.
"I think we are in the best position we have been all season to give Mercedes a hard time tomorrow, because we managed to split them up," said Vettel.
Rosberg, who seemed unsettled by Hamilton's pace, ran off the track early in the final session and then spun after getting too wide at the final corner on his last lap.
As it happened, the spin may have prevented Alonso from knocking the German down to fifth.
The Spaniard was the next car through and had been just under a second off Hamilton's time at the second split point.
But the yellow caution flags demanding a driver slow down were already waving as he entered the final corner after Rosberg's spin. Although the Ferrari driver improved his time he was just under 0.5secs down on the German and a similar margin clear of Massa.
The Brazilian's Williams team-mate Valtteri Bottas was seventh, as Force India's Nico Hulkenberg, Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne and Lotus's Romain Grosjean completed the top 10.
It was the first time Lotus have been in the top 10 on the grid and marked a major step forward after a difficult start to the season.
Alonso's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen was knocked out in the second session, when he was 1.1 seconds slower than his team-mate, and will start 11th. Ferrari said the Finn suffered a problem with his downshift.
It was also a difficult day for McLaren, with Jenson Button taking 12th and team-mate Kevin Magnussen only 15th, 0.7secs adrift.
"In these conditions it's very tricky for us," said Button. "We struggle with front [tyre] temperatures.
"I think it will be a fun race, it's further back than we would like but there have been some pretty good results from this far back this season."

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 19 Apr 2014, 11:34 am

Titles already over. Hamilton in the best car vs an inferior teammate.

Roll on 2015
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 19 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

Riccardo smashed vettel........ That's 3 in 4.

Vettel with 4 WDC's doesn't look comfortable.

lH nailed it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 19 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm

GSC wrote:Titles already over. Hamilton in the best car vs an inferior teammate.

Roll on 2015

It's like F1 is going in circles.

Webber : Williams > Midtable RB > whipping boy at RB

Rosberg: Williams > Midtable Mercedes > Whipping Boy at Mercedes.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 19 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

We swapped a dominant RB for an even more dominant Merc.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 19 Apr 2014, 1:00 pm

Is there any point in Alonso even turning up to qualifying? He should just start 5th in every race  Laugh Wink 

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 19 Apr 2014, 1:02 pm

Rosberg > Webber
But still. I wouldn't take any bets on LH not winning this year.

I would however love to see Ricardo out point vettel.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 19 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm

Tbh Webber prior to last year would likely be an even match for Rosberg.

Hopefully Renault can close the gap to next March and we have a competitive championship
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 19 Apr 2014, 1:21 pm

TBH this year i just want to see LH smash it up and get his 2nd win.

next year all I want as most fans have wanted is a true LH v Alonso battle. That is what F1 needs.

The two best fighting out in evenly matched cars

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 20 Apr 2014, 8:48 am

Vettel doesn't like the boot on the other foot.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:17 am

To be fair, it looks like Red Bull aren't that far behind.

Alonso's done an amazing job getting his Ferrari into 3rd. Wonder if he can stay there?

Almost wishing I hadn't bothered getting up - the only English stream I can find is the crappy NBCSN, which is more adverts than coverage and when they are in the race, the idiot commentators and cameras tend to follow irrelevant stuff, like Grosjean's retirement.

Absolutely shocking - will remember this before criticising BBC or Sky again...

Gonna have to watch the BBC highlights to get a proper idea of how this one unfolded.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

Heh. Hamilton being told to take it easy.

Alonso actually reeling Rosberg in now...could he spoil the Mercedes 1-2?

Looks like RB will stay 4th and 5th.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:23 am

This season is panning out very similar to 2009. 

In that year Button lucked out with the double diffuser, but as soon as RBR incorporated the DD, they had the dominant car. In that season Vettel's crashes cost him the WDC. 

RBR, once they can get some more power, they'll beat Hamilton as Vettel is vastly superior. And in Newey they have the holy grail

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:27 am

Another woeful showing from McLaren. Suppose its a bit early to expect Ron Dennis to ring any major changes. Guessing they're writing this season off too and will look to turn things around next year.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:32 am

Alonso dropping away from Rosberg...might actually be caught by Ricciardo!

Also loving how Vettel is being pegged back by his rookie team mate. Laugh
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:42 am

My word that was a crap race
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:43 am

Williams, drivers and pit crew, didn't help themselevs again. It would have been interesting to see where Massa would have finished.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:44 am

looks like Vettel's petulance in not letting Ricciardo through ultimately may well have cost RB a spot on the podium, don't think the team will like that.

Fine drive by LH, but with Rosberg unable to challenge after a desperately poor start it was all too easy for him really.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:45 am

Gerry SA wrote:This season is panning out very similar to 2009. 

In that year Button lucked out with the double diffuser, but as soon as RBR incorporated the DD, they had the dominant car. In that season Vettel's crashes cost him the WDC. 

RBR, once they can get some more power, they'll beat Hamilton as Vettel is vastly superior. And in Newey they have the holy grail

You not taken your meds?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

Olly wrote:My word that was a crap race
We really need the two Mercedes to be together on the grid to have any kind of race at the front.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:49 am

Congrats Hamilton! Another flawless drive.

Sadly left Rosberg trailing in his wake...no wheel to wheel racing this time.

Drive of the day though has to be Alonso, getting his Ferrari on the podium after a very average qualifying. Guessing Raikkonen won't be all that happy with his 8th place.

Another great drive from Daniel Ricciardo, who left his illustrious team mate eating his dust. Looks as though he's got to grips with the new technology far better than Vettel.

Decent race for Force India with both Hulk and Perez finishing in the points.

Well done to Bottas as well for scoring more points for Williams with his 7th place.

Overall not a great spectacle, but its nice to see the Mercedes juggernaut roll on. Was also nice to see Alonso pull a great result out of the bag and the RB duo continuing their own battle.

Still hoping things become more competitive once we get to Europe.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:52 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:looks like Vettel's petulance in not letting Ricciardo through ultimately may well have cost RB a spot on the podium, don't think the team will like that.

Fine drive by LH, but with Rosberg unable to challenge after a desperately poor start it was all too easy for him really.

Wow - really? I missed that (thanks to the crappy stream I was watching). Will really have to catch the BBC highlights now.

I see Vettel still isn't a team player - even when race wins aren't at stake. Really poor on his part, not even willing to acknowledge / help a faster team mate.

And his fans wonder why he's so disliked by many...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:58 am

Faultless drive from Lewis. Sure the car is way ahead of the rest but he is getting so much more out of it than Nico. Solid drive from Fernando as the Ferrari is just not in the same class as Mercedes. Ricciardo - another good drive and at the mo he has Seb under his thumb - not bad for one with not a lot of F1 experience. I was hoping for more from the Williams team today and if Massa had not had that big contact at the start he may have joined Ferrari and Red Bull in the scrap for the final podium spot.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:01 am

mystiroakey wrote:

You not taken your meds?

Nah - he's just trolling as usual. Its why I've got him on my "ignore" list. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:16 am

You Brits make me laugh. 

Overrated Hamilton getting bummed relentlessly. 

Aside from 2007, 2008 and now 2014

Unless he's got the best car, he's just an average driver. 

Hamilton isn't fit to wipe Alonso's or Vettel's arses.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:18 am

mystiroakey wrote:

You not taken your meds?
Does nicole know you've been getting on her mans nuts?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:20 am

Not sure. But it seems like it's you on Vettel's. I suppose you're just angry that your golden boy is being outperformed by ricardo

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:22 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

You not taken your meds?

Nah - he's just trolling as usual. Its why I've got him on my "ignore" list. Wink

Oh okay. Never done that before. Maybe I will start with him

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:23 am

Gerry SA wrote:

What does that make Rosberg then? Same car but can't compete with Hamilton. Also how is Vettel managing against Ricciardo this season?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

mystiroakey wrote:Not sure. But it seems like it's you on Vettel's. I suppose you're just angry that your golden boy is being outperformed by ricardo
Golden boy Vettel?

Vettel's career even if he never wins another WDC has eclipsed anything Hamilton will ever do

As for Ricciardo, the points total is only relevant come Abu Dhabi. Vettel will be WDC come Abu Dhabi. Not Ricciardo

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Lh matched alonso. In his rookie year.

Lh has beaten every other driver in his team.

He is clearly wumming

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

What does that make Rosberg then? Same car but can't compete with Hamilton. Also how is Vettel managing against Ricciardo this season?
Rosberg is a number 2, much like Webber or Massa... 

Just as Rubens was a number 2 driver to Button, who's the worst WDC in f1 history.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:27 am

Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Not sure. But it seems like it's you on Vettel's. I suppose you're just angry that your golden boy is being outperformed by ricardo
Golden boy Vettel?

Vettel's career even if he never wins another WDC has eclipsed anything Hamilton will ever do

As for Ricciardo, the points total is only relevant come Abu Dhabi. Vettel will be WDC come Abu Dhabi. Not Ricciardo

So you do have a thing for Vettel. And you have zero knowledge of F1

On ignored...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:27 am

mystiroakey wrote:Lh matched alonso. In his rookie year.

Lh has beaten every other driver in his team.

He is clearly wumming
Hamilton vs Alonso was a dead heat. 

Hamilton lost to Button in 2011.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

Vettel's career >>>>>>>>>>> Hamilton's
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:29 am

Olly wrote:Vettel's career >>>>>>>>>>> Hamilton's
Well said.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:31 am

Gerry SA wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Just as Rubens was a number 2 driver to Button, who's the worst WDC in f1 history.

Ah right so Webber and Massa are No.2 drivers who drove alongside Vettel and Alonso so that kind of blows your theory out of the water negating Vettel and Alonso's achievements as well. Also a rookie Hamilton dead heated with Alonso in the same car. How so if Hamilton is not fit to wipe Alonso's ass as you so eloquently put it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Ah right so Webber and Massa are No.2 drivers who drove alongside Vettel and Alonso so that kind of blows your theory out of the water negating Vettel and Alonso's achievements as well. Also a rookie Hamilton dead heated with Alonso in the same car. How so if Hamilton is not fit to wipe Alonso's ass as you so eloquently put it.
Hamilton being favoured by fat man Ron Dennis in 2007, yeah you ignore that?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:35 am

Just like I cannot ignore your anti-British sentiment to sportsmen across the board whatever the sport and here it rears its head again.  picard 
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:37 am

I had to ignore him literally. It's good though. Just do it. Never heard so much nonsense before. No need to read it just foe him.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

Done mysti.  OK 
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:40 am

Nice CC

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:17 am

Can't we all just get along?

Looks like Ham won then with Nico coming second. Well done to Fernando in bringing home the Ferrari in 3rd!
Hopefully Ferrari can improve in the next race and well hopefully we see more of Kimi/Fernando.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next