The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the best performance you've ever seen ??

+12
88Chris05
wheelchair1991
AdamT
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
Strongback
catchweight
Mr Bounce
milkyboy
Hammersmith harrier
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

What's the best performance you've ever seen ?? Empty What's the best performance you've ever seen ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 9:51 am

Holyfield - Tyson
-------------------

Simply the best performance I've ever seen....8-1 underdog....Most thought he was finished after Bowe and fighting a resurgent newly crowned double champion in Tyson...

Tyson had just made Bruno and Seldon crap their pants......For sure Douglas boxed well behind his jab but Holy out warred, outfought , out-gutted and took the heart of the one of the most intimidating fighters of all time..

I was in awe of Holy that night.....

Truly awesome fighter who outbullied the bully..

Runner up...NUNN - Tate...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

What's the best performance you've ever seen ?? Empty Re: What's the best performance you've ever seen ??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 18 Apr 2014, 10:57 am

Sticking with UK fighters in recent times, Ricky Burns vs Roman Martinez was a stand out one as many thought Burns was gonna get KO'ed. I know he went off the boil recently but that fight was a crackin performance against the odds.

Froch vs Abraham was another.

Hindsight is wonderful as many now lable Martinez & Abraham as plodders, but back in these fights Burns was the underdog and Froch vs Abraham was 50/50.

Internationally Manny vs Cotto is one of the best and Khan vs Paulie was a complete schooling and fun to watch.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

What's the best performance you've ever seen ?? Empty Re: What's the best performance you've ever seen ??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

Abraham was a fairly heavy favourite dee, prefer his Bute performance, just stewmrolled him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:38 am

Burns- Martinez was impressive Mate...For sure..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:46 am

Douglas Tyson. 'For one night only'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:47 am

For a display of guts and cojones, it has to be Nigel Benn against Gerald McClellan. Horrific outcome aside, Benn was a big underdog against McClellan's murderous punching power, despite him not being short of pop himself. It was G-man's first fight at Super-middle, and presumably Don King was expecting his man to breeze past Benn. Nigel almost fell foul by being knocked out of the ring in the first round.

From then on, it was a ding-dong battle between the warriors until one of them folded. Sadly we all know the outcome, but this for me remains an unbelievable performance from Benn in a fight he wasn't expected to win.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:55 am

I was thinking of benn McClellan too mr bounce. Part of me just thinks that McClellan punching himself out and/or his injury kicking in, impacted on the result. Doesn't alter a super human effort from benn though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 12:01 pm

Benn-Mclellan is an excellent shout...Expected a blow out and nearly got one...True grit..

Chavez-Rosario.....Moving up in weight against the number 1 light and dismantling him easily on my card 10-0...

Was masterful..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 18 Apr 2014, 12:35 pm

Duran against Leonard in the first fight in Montreal probably. Awesome fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Apr 2014, 12:44 pm

Was going to say Duran v Leonard I.

Barrera v Hamed was another great performance.

Pacquiao v Barrera and Pacquiai v Cotto were two that stand out in recent times.

Cotto beating Clotty while nursing a very badly cut eye showed the talent Cotto really had. He showed his defensive skills and impressive footwork..

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 18 Apr 2014, 1:00 pm

There are a few local fights I've seen that I thought were sublime. Corrie Sanders dissecting Wlad in three rounds on three weeks notice was memorable. And last year, seeing Simpiwe Vetyeka take apart Chris Jon is six was unbelievable, given the fact that Simpiwe was 33, and had never looked like One of SA's top little fighters, let alone a boss at a lower weight.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 18 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

Game changing thread  clap 

I will say Frankie Randall v Chavez 1

Sweet pea showed us how to make chavez miss and mug him, Randall showed the world how to counter Chavez at his own game. Great workrate by the surgan that night only spoilt by Chavez poor attitude in defeat.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

Mayweather Gatti

Mayweather was that dominant you would of thought he was the skilled boxer and Gatti was some ordinary Joe pulled from the crowd.

Granted Gatti isn't technically the greatest ever, he was still a former world champion who was made look a complete novice in 6 brutal rounds!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 4:25 pm

Don't praise Mayweather on here...

It's blasphemy

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

Good shout adam i think buster dougles it has to be for me against iron mike

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm

It cost me 50 quid as I was led to believe that he was a mini Mike Tyson but Calzaghe's dismantling of Lacy was a joy to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 7:36 pm

Lacy was absloutly destroyed that night i actually felt sorry for him despite wanting joe to win

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 7:39 pm

In terms of someone making a great fighter look totally average, then Benitez-Duran and Kalambay-McCallum I are up there, for me. I don't even think a prime Roy managed to outclass a 40 year old McCallum the way Kalambay did. Lionel Rose against Harada, too. That was a dissection.

Given that they both got tonked first time out, the way Norris and Nelson took care of Brown and Fenech in their second fights was pretty special, too.

Stuff like Spinks-Qawi and Castro-Jackson I were fantastic showings in terms of guts and / or fighting through adversity, particularly in the former case because of what Spinks was going through personally at the time. Ditto for Douglas-Tyson.

He was in there against an outsized and overmatched opponent, in fairness, but Ray Robinson puts on a pretty majestic performance against Bobby Dykes. As I said, it was a 'performance' rather than much of a fight, but he shows all the moves, style and athleticism that he was famed for in it.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm

Spinks certainly handled qawi pretty well Chris; dwight himself is maybe worth an outside mention too for saad 1 and arguably more so in defeat for Holyfield 1.

Holy was a novice, but let's be honest, qawi was a bit vertically challenged as a light heavy never mind cruiser... To be that competitive against Holyfield was no mean feat.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 18 Apr 2014, 10:03 pm

not quite on the same level as some mentioned but broner vs maidana was a shock, maidana really took broner to the cleaners and was a huge underdog going into the fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm

milkyboy wrote:Spinks certainly handled qawi pretty well Chris; dwight himself is maybe worth an outside mention too for saad 1 and arguably more so in defeat for Holyfield 1.

Holy was a novice, but let's be honest, qawi was a bit vertically challenged as a light heavy never mind cruiser... To be that competitive against Holyfield was no mean feat.

Yeah, the way Qawi took Saad apart was pretty remarkable. Hardly got hit with a clean shot all night as he came in, and when he got there he made Saad look like a rabbit in the headlights.

Qawi-Holyfield I is probably a contender for the best losing performance in history. Hell, a thick around the middle Qawi, years past his best, stood and had a war with Foreman, gave him stylistic problems and landed a shed load of bombs on Big George's chin as well. More than held his own before he just ran out of gas and jacked it in - and Foreman turned up in pretty good shape for that one, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 7:35 am

Ill open it.....

Froch vs Burns....great chin and determination against all the odds.

Getting destroyed from 1-4 the started taking the fight by the scruff.

cap that with a stoppage.

On a more serious note:

Pacman vs Cotto
Floyd vs Alvarez
Hopkins vs Pavlik
Froch vs Bute
Burns vs Martinez

All solid wins and great performances. My fav being Hopkins.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 19 Apr 2014, 8:39 am

Don't you mean groves? Laugh 

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 19 Apr 2014, 5:58 pm

Sanchez performance against Gomez was brilliant,Sanchez was underdog it was a punch perfect performance.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 6:59 pm

Good call...As I remember he was a big favorite...

Interesting to see how it would have turned out had he not been caught cold and had one eye for much of the fight...

But my guess is he wins anyway.

A star was born that afternoon.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down