The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing for a 95km race?

4 posters

Go down

Preparing for a 95km race? Empty Preparing for a 95km race?

Post by kingraf Sat 19 Apr 2014, 7:49 am

So I've been guilted into entering the local 94.7km.... The furthest I've ever ridden was around 25km, and that was five-six years ago! The race is in about six months. Any good websites which could breakdown a decent training schedule?

I'm overall pretty fit, but cycling is a different animal...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Preparing for a 95km race? Empty Re: Preparing for a 95km race?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Apr 2014, 9:44 am

RAF I'm afraid I don't know any sites but personally I'd suggest doing it in increments

Start off doing say 10-15km a week, then the next week maybe take that to 15-20 km and so on and so forth
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:14 am

A few of my friends use apps like Strava, and sites like www.mapmyride.com to track their progress.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

Is it a "race" or some sort of charity ride pub crawl? For both you'll need to get some miles in but, if it really is a race, then you'll be needing train in groups-ideally-and certainly will need to be riding at pace. Is it hilly? This is another factor.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:38 am

It's a legitimate race, but I've been told I'm riding for charity. That said, I'm not the sort to amble along a race. Want to finish upper field, or at least decently placed among the amateurs.

As for the hill, Johannesburg is pretty hilly, a few guys from the local athletics club ran the Boston marathon, and didn't know where on heartbreak hill until they passed it. I don't know the course outlay, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a stretch of road in Jozi which doesn't prelude a hill.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down