Cheesy Adaptations

Go down

Cheesy Adaptations Empty Cheesy Adaptations

Post by The Fourth Lion on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 2:03 am

Is it just me (it probably is), but are the BBC really dumbing down just about everything now.

In recent years, we've seen pathetic, dumbed down prime time adaptations of the legends of Robin Hood and King Arthur, Sherlock Holmes and now The Three Musketeers.  The Tudors and The White Queen were little short of risible and now they are about to commence a serial on Daphne du Maurier's brilliant novel Jamaica Inn.

I truly fear for this.   I've read almost all of DdM's books (I wish Hitchcock had made a movie of Frenchman's Creek) and they really are works of imagination, character and subtlety of plot.  She was a master story teller, so much so that Alfred Hitchcock made excellent films of her stories such as Rebecca, The Birds (relocated from Cornwall to California) and even Jamaica Inn itself  (starring Robert Newton before his Long John Silver days).  My Cousin Rachel was also made into a movie which captured the atmosphere and tension of du Maurier's writing.

These movies were worthy of the author and did justice to her work.   But given the BBC's recent track record with the classics, what can we expect of Jamaica Inn..?     I suppose Joss and Clem Merlin will look like boy band singers and Mary Yellan will never have a hair out of place or her lipstick smudged.  There will be undue attention placed on the "romantic" aspect between Clem and Mary (Jamaica Inn romantic..???  You've got to be kidding me...!!!), leading up to some gratuitous sex scene that contributes nothing to the story and was never a part of DdM's thinking anyway but has to be included because the morons in the TV audience demand tittilation.

The BBC is capable of producing quality period drama.  Think Downton Abbey.   But going by recent adaptations of historical favourites, I wish they would leave Daphne du Maurier's works alone.  She deserves better than to have her writing turned into pap entertainment for the ignorant masses who have never read her works and whose name probably won't even register on their consciousness beyond the credits.

I may be proved wrong in the final outcome, but I doubt it.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum