The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fake is Top Gear?

+21
profitius
seanmichaels
hampo17
Liam
ShahenshahG
SecretFly
Luckless Pedestrian
Fernando
Crimey
nadeem2099
The Fourth Lion
kingraf
RinoGattuso
Scottrf
XR
GSC
Rowley
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
Bull
incontinentia
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How fake is Top Gear? - Page 2 Empty How fake is Top Gear?

Post by incontinentia Thu 24 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Top Gear have admitted staging a traffic jam    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-17364742

I'm sure regular viewers of the show will know certain situations in the show are staged, but to what extent?

I would be surprised if 100% of the races weren't faked in some way. A veyron racing a plane 1000 miles and there only being a few minutes in the difference?? Gimme a break!!!

Clarkson breaking his target time round the Nurburgring by 1 second on his last go?? yeah right!!

there are many, many similar examples of this type of fakery being employed in order to up the entertainment value of the show.

Does this ruin the show for you in any way?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

How fake is Top Gear? - Page 2 Empty Re: How fake is Top Gear?

Post by Duty281 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 9:39 pm

Clarkson wins again. Yahoo

No end to the man's unerring brilliance.

Netflix next, or Sky?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:29 am

I used to watch Top Gear, back when it was a half-hour show and they reviewed cars you could actually afford. It was a useful programme. I don't know why it morphed into a show that sent its presenters on jollies around the world, paid for in part by the licence-fee payers.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:51 am

I consider the pointlessness of Clarkson being paid all that money to be on a par with the pointlessness of Robson Green and Ross Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 26 Mar 2015, 10:06 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I used to watch Top Gear, back when it was a half-hour show and they reviewed cars you could actually afford. It was a useful programme. I don't know why it morphed into a show that sent its presenters on jollies around the world, paid for in part by the licence-fee payers.

Because it is no aimed at younger people who like fast cars and want to see supposed humour. Nobody wants to watch a review of a Renault Clio these days.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 26 Mar 2015, 10:40 am

hampo171 wrote:

Because it is no aimed at younger people who like fast cars and want to see supposed humour. Nobody wants to watch a review of a Renault Clio these days.

Why two 'dinosaurs' (Clarkson's own words) and a middling-getting-there dinosaur presenting it, if it was all about youth and flash?

I think the most serious point about the show though is the attitude of lawlessness on the road.  The Pretend breaking of speed limits on what were in reality closed sections of roads for filming, undoubtedly in my mind added to some of the boy racer road deaths that follow on from so many young guys (and older ones who should know better!) not being able to work out that the show was strictly Fantasy not Real.  These old codgers were breaking no rules... but their actions did goad real young guys to do so.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Jun 2015, 8:13 pm

Chris Evans is the new presenter of Top Gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 16 Jun 2015, 8:19 pm

I can live with that just depends who surrounds him tbh. If their crap they it be like David Moyes Man Utd Reign doomed to failure..

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

Evans to host Top Gear....even less reason to watch it now...unless he decides to try and go one better than Hammond and actually kill himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

ShahenshahG wrote:Always enjoyed it myself, just switch your brain off for an hour and get to see interesting places/people/challenges with mildly (mostly) to very (rarely) funny jokes.

With you on that. Clarkson is the ultimate WUM. Lefties fall for it hook line and sinker

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm

It's basically Evans & Jodie Kidd. Awful

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:29 pm

LiamB wrote:It's basically Evans & Jodie Kidd. Awful

Evans is a good choice but Jodie Kidd won't work. TG is at its best when the 3 lads act laddish and just have a bit of fun as they travel around. Don't think a woman is the right chemistry for the show unles they want to go in a different direction.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Jul 2015, 10:46 am

It'll be another 5th gear....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 30 Jul 2015, 11:52 am

Former Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May will be reunited in a new show after signing a deal with Amazon Video.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Dec 2015, 10:39 am

It's Chris Evans, Chris Harris & Sabine Schmitz presenting the new show. Failed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 04 Feb 2016, 11:37 am

Matt LeBlanc has joined as co-host.

That's a good move, fairly popular and a very big car fanatic.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 04 Feb 2016, 9:20 pm

May watch it again to see what he's like on it

Cant be worse than Clarkson from what i saw before.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 05 Feb 2016, 9:41 am

Yeah, anyone would be better than Clarkson.

Is it just me... but Matt Le Blanc looks incredibly tired and jaded. I got a shock when I saw how much weight he has put on and how he has aged!
I hope he can bring some energy into the mix.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Feb 2016, 2:39 pm

desperate attempt from the BBC to salvage this, given the reports that the show is in a shambolic state, producers leaving & Evans struggling to cope. Le Blanc presented 'Top Gear - The Races' & it was corny as hell. It's a move to get the femail audience, but he's approaching 50 now & just a bit past it, for me. Never be the same show, end of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDtgCnRjztw

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Apr 2016, 11:09 pm

Maybe it's just that a car show - heavily staged and scripted (even the ad-libs) - about middle aged men breaking speed limits and talking to camera as they drive along empty public roads - is dated, old hat, long in the tooth, not remotely believable (except to the petrol heads that have just siphoned a gallon of petrol from their lawn mower to put into their daddy's car) and a dead parrot?

Does it really matter whether it's Evans failing, Le Blanc failing or Clarkson failing?  The show itself is 'canned-laughter' cool and a rusty heap of old men reliving their youth by holding a gear stick substitute for parts of themselves they've long lost interest in Wink

Lots of good TV shows had the dignity to just end.  Top Gear doesn't have a lot of it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

I've probably said this before, but I preferred Top Gear when they just reviewed cars people could actually afford. I have no desire to watch people drive supercars across the Serengeti.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 15 May 2016, 9:32 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've probably said this before, but I preferred Top Gear when they just reviewed cars people could actually afford. I have no desire to watch people drive supercars across the Serengeti.

I dunno what show you were watching, but they actually drove old bangers across the Serengeti and the other African show, where they tried to find the source of the Nile, they had decent but affordable normal cars.

In fact, if memory serves, the majority of their challenges involved them buying old second-hand cars, be they normal or classic supercars. There were also quite a few where they drove small cars, e.g. the one where they went round the Monaco GP circuit, or where they compared various modes of transport for getting around e.g. the London race between car, public transport, bike and boat.

Only the USA, Italy and Romania shows immediately spring to mind where they all drove brand new supercars.

TG stopped being a consumer-oriented review show years ago, after Channel 5 launched Fifth Gear and become more of an entertainment show...which I think was a smart move on their part.

How "staged" the challenges / races were I have no idea, but they were still inventive and immensely enjoyable IMO.

As for the new show, I won't dismiss it out of hand. I like Chris Evans as a presenter and am willing to give it a shot. Obviously it won't be the same but change isn't necessarily a bad thing.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 May 2016, 11:32 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've probably said this before, but I preferred Top Gear when they just reviewed cars people could actually afford. I have no desire to watch people drive supercars across the Serengeti.

I dunno what show you were watching

None of them. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 May 2016, 1:04 pm

Laugh

Anyway...if Top Gear were just a live action version of the Whacky Races, with storyboard already pre-written, with a written script (even the ad-lib dead pan moments of 'genius' from Clarkson Shocked), stunts rehearsed, public roads closed by the police as the boyo's pretended they were evading the police..... if it was all just a fictional drama cum comedy show, why didn't they just admit it and get on with it.

I think it's the pretence of authenticity that always irritated me - the Reality Show falseness....  anytime I watched bits of it, and that's all I've ever done, I just found myself cringing with embarrassment as grown man Clarkson did his best acting pretending to be waiting for a lost little Hammond somewhere where local drug lords might find him.  

"Where is Hammond?  I thought he was with you?"  

And the Pantomime fans shout at their TV screens: "Oh no you didn't, Clarkson!!!  He's behind You!!!"

.. waiting for his bit to camera:  "I think I'm lost here guys.  I really do.  Okay...this is - getting scary now - seriously"  

"CUT!!!  The line is: 'this is seriously getting scary now'!  Get it right Hammond!" Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 29 May 2016, 8:21 pm

Clarkson must be pouring himself an extra large glass tonight. Evans is pretty dire.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 8:28 pm

This is horrifyingly awful

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 29 May 2016, 8:30 pm

I kinda like LeBlanc.

But Evans is just so awkward its kinda cringey.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 8:51 pm

I see promise with LeBlanc, but Evans is abysmal

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 29 May 2016, 9:03 pm

I had to turn the volume down, why is he shouting
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 29 May 2016, 9:36 pm

Did not watch it, was there any misogyny or lazy xenophobia? Those used to be my favourite bits.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 29 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

Matt Le Blanc looks like he doesn't want to be there. He actually looks bored. At least Chris Evans brings some energy to the show but maybe he is trying too hard and could calm it down a bit.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

Having seen the series so far, all I can say is that Evans is awful. He's simply not needed. The format is pretty samey & the celebrity section is actually quite boring & the 'news' section is a big miss, with Clarkson. The more the series has gone on, I actually feel LeBlanc has got stronger & stronger, even his reviews have been quite decent. I've also been very impressed with Rory Reid, I actually think he's bloody brilliant, engaging, cool & if I had my way, he'd be bloody running the show.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:20 pm

If you like Rory id watch the extra gear bit on the Iplayer. It's just him & Chris Harris it's the thing ive enjoyed most so far Ok! They showed how an Rolls Royce was made on the last 1 was interesting.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 04 Jul 2016, 3:24 pm

Chris Evans ‏@achrisevans 8m
Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:41 pm

Button, Le Blanc & Rory Reid would be my three

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Jul 2016, 5:07 pm

Wasn't it a bit of a witch hunt? Be honest people. It's a bit like those campaigns to dislike Youtube Movie Trailers - a display of power by the disgruntled masses.

Poor auld Chris takes the bullet so that the Clarkson cult followers can chant "We did it for You, My Lord!" Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2