The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?

+4
GSC
packofwolves
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
8 posters

Go down

Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?  Empty Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?

Post by msp83 Wed 14 May 2014, 8:21 am

Almost 5 years after his final act for England with that fine pickup and throw run-out, talismanic all-rounder Andrew Fredye Flintoff is said to be in advanced stages of talks with his old county Lancashire for a T-20 comeback.
Flintoff, who's international career was a set of chapters of injury mixed with brilliance, is already facing some small injury concerns ahead of his expected comeback.
Has he got it in him to make a meaningful comeback? Flintoff is not too old for a comeback, particularly at the domestic level, that too in the shortest format. But his fitness record is the matter of concern. If he's successful, will he also explore other global T-20 options? Will he comeback as an all-rounder or as a batsman only?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/current/story/744301.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?  Empty Re: Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 14 May 2014, 8:25 am

I can't see his body holding up too long if he's planning on bowling a lot
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?  Empty Re: Andrew Flintoff on a Comeback Path?

Post by msp83 Wed 14 May 2014, 8:36 am

If Fredye doesn't bowl, then that is OK. But I would absolutely hate to see him ambling in with some military medium. If he bowls, then he pounds in and make the batsmen contemplate his life choices, or he just doesn't bowl. No compromises please, Fredye!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 30 May 2014, 12:42 pm

Confirmed that Fred has signed a contract for T20 cricket today with Lancs. Thought to be pay as you play.
If the reports of how he's been performing in the nets are accurate then I'm delighted to see him back. A born competitor and an undoubted draw for Lancashire in terms of revenue, here's hoping he goes well.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 30 May 2014, 3:13 pm

Seems more a T20 sideshow than anything. Seemed broken down before he took years out of the game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 30 May 2014, 3:27 pm

The cynic in me feels that Lancs know what they're doing in offering Flintoff a 'pay as you play' deal. They get the crowds and his body takes the risks.

I do wish him well but can only see it being a short term venture.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 30 May 2014, 3:32 pm

Think he'll do alright so long as he's batting and keeping the bowling to a minimum
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 30 May 2014, 11:10 pm

He's got a physique much more suited to bowling now than he had at any point during his career. He's lighter, leaner, and hasn't exactly been sat on his arse for the last four years. Match intensity is, of course, a completely different subject though. I really hope he goes well. Especially at Worcester where I plan to be keeping an eagle eye!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 01 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

One of the guys from my uni club plays for St Annes CC where Freddie played on the weekend. Must have been one hell of an experience for him

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:43 pm

Freddie playing today in t20 Lancs v Worcs.  Didn't bat.  Took 2 for 36 off his 4 overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 06 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm

Was he pounding in like in the old days?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:57 pm

msp83 wrote:Was he pounding in like in the old days?
 Don't know - only noticed it on cricinfo.  The last three of his overs were bowled when Lancs already pretty much assured a win.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 07 Jul 2014, 3:36 pm

I was there. Not sure I'd describe it as "pounding in" but he was still sending the ball down at a fair pace. Got smashed for a couple of sixes by Oliver and Kohler-Cadmore but his yorker was still working well.

Wasn't any great shakes in the field, obviously spent a lot of time in the slips when he played previously so wasn't the most agile in the outfield. He seemed to be enjoying himself though, had a good laugh at the Jacamo chants he was getting from some supporters.

Was certainly nice to see him back on the pitch and in action, as one of my favourite players to watch. Don't know whether it was because of him or just a nice day/important game, but New Road was pretty full yesterday

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm

Indeed it is a pleasure to have Fredye back in action. Yes this not in international cricket, yes it is not in the longer formats, still.......
Hope it does last a bit really.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down