The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon?

5 posters

Go down

Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon? Empty Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon?

Post by spencerclarke Mon 19 May 2014, 12:59 pm

Afternoon all,

After his win in California I just wondered what the feel was for Wiggins winning the Tour if for some reason Froome can not finish? He seems to be in very good form at the moment but California form and Tour form can obviously be two different things all together. I really hope he gets the call as at the very least he can help the team.

As a second, who are your tips other than Froome to compete for the jersey's?

Cheers

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon? Empty Re: Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon?

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 19 May 2014, 5:56 pm

Probably depends on his state of mind. If he's focused on doing well in the Tour and gets on well with Froome he would certainly have a chance. Not sure if he can compete with the very best though, especially if he has to come from behind.

Froome's main competition should be Contador (back to his pre ban form?) and Nibali (as good as he was in last year's Giro, and if so is that good enough?). After that it's really just people fighting to get in the top 5.
Cavendish and Kittel look a class above everyone else in the sprints, will be an interesting battle between those two for stage wins and points while everyone else fights for scraps. Sagan might have enough versatility to beat them to the points jersey though.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon? Empty Re: Can Wiggo the back up win if called upon?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 May 2014, 9:58 pm

Wiggins wouldn't be a serious contender for me, won't be able to handle Contador/Nibali on the steep stuff and not so much time trialling this year. A top 10 contender if Froome goes down

Again Nibali and Contador are Froome's main contenders as Lowlandbrit says. Rest are playing for top 5/10. Quintana, Evans and Uran focusing on the Giro/Vuelta

Sagan will win the green jersey I'd imagine, Cav to get 3/4 stages
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 May 2014, 10:12 pm

Can't believe quintana has sacked off the TDF for the others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 May 2014, 10:20 pm

John wrote:Can't believe quintana has sacked off the TDF for the others.  
Probably thinks he can pick up a grand tour this year, allow Contador to get a little older, Froome ditto, and then pick them off over the next few years in the Tour.

Also should note the world Championship course is very favourable for him this year as well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 19 May 2014, 10:24 pm

I think contador will flatter to deceive again. Not sure he can ever get anywhere near the standards before his ban.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 19 May 2014, 10:35 pm

Olly wrote:
John wrote:Can't believe quintana has sacked off the TDF for the others.
Probably thinks he can pick up a grand tour this year, allow Contador to get a little older, Froome ditto, and then pick them off over the next few years in the Tour.

Also should note the world Championship course is very favourable for him this year as well
I like it, just like I liked Nibali's decision to concentrate on the Giro last year. Too many top riders out there with empty trophy cases from chasing the Tour. I get why they (have to) focus on it, but quite a few might be better off giving it a miss once or twice.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm

Just saw on the news Wiggins won't be riding the TdeF.  Completely usurped by Froome.

I had a little smile to myself. Always thought Bradley was a total w@nker. His cough has been softened a bit.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sat 07 Jun 2014, 6:45 pm

Strongback wrote:Just saw on the news Wiggins won't be riding the TdeF.  Completely usurped by Froome.

I had a little smile to myself. Always thought Bradley was a total w@nker. His cough has been softened a bit.

The more I hear the more I feel that way about both. Sad really as in principle I'd like to support the British riders, but I can't help but feel my support will be going out to Nibali instead this time round.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down