The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst breakup album?

+3
seanmichaels
Rowley
kingraf
7 posters

Go down

Worst breakup album? Empty Worst breakup album?

Post by kingraf Thu 29 May 2014, 10:42 am

Finished listening to Coldplay's Ghost Stories yesterday, and I must say it's the soppiest, most depressing thing I've ever heard. You'd swear the dog just died everyday Chris Martin went to record. An absolute trainsmash. Magic is a decent enough track, as is A Sky Full of Stars, but the rest of it makes me want to crawl into a hole and die. Could this be the worst album ever recorded to document a breakup?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Worst breakup album? Empty Re: Worst breakup album?

Post by Rowley Thu 29 May 2014, 10:50 am

I had such high hopes for this album Raf, Martin and Coldplay are normally such happy go lucky upbeat fellows, was pretty confident he would find ways to look on the bright side about this unfortunate turn of events.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 29 May 2014, 11:07 am

That made l*l, Geoff. For whatever reason, Coldplay albums tend to always correspond with major events in my timeline. Probably played Mylo Xiloto every day for half a year when I got my first car. Real road trip jams. Serious memories of me traipsing through the Dark continent.

So you could imagine my excitement at Coldplay releasing a breakup inspired album just as I was going through my first serious bout of heartbreak. I was expecting a triumphant statement of intent to move on, instead Martin moans with mundane lyrics for longer than is necessary
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 29 May 2014, 12:08 pm

13 by Blur when Albarn split up with Frischmann.

NB Damon Albarn not Dr Alban

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 May 2014, 12:12 pm

Can I just say in case my previous post left any doubt, I hate Coldplay with an absolute passion. They are as dull as dishwater, lyrically have absolutely nothing of interest to say and make Keane look like the reincarnation of MC5. Music for people who do not like music, background magnolia drivel for people who should not be allowed to buy music.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 29 May 2014, 12:16 pm

It did. I just played along. I quite like Coldplay. Nice beats to their songs, sometimes have nice melodies as well.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 29 May 2014, 12:16 pm

Strangely enough, I don't buy music.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 29 May 2014, 3:18 pm

Rowley wrote:Can I just say in case my previous post left any doubt, I hate Coldplay with an absolute passion. They are as dull as dishwater, lyrically have absolutely nothing of interest to say and make Keane look like the reincarnation of MC5. Music for people who do not like music, background magnolia drivel for people who should not be allowed to buy music.

Woo - don't mince your words or anything, will you? Laugh

For the record, I share your views on Coldplay and all other bands of their "genre"...whatever that is.

For me the absolute best "breakup" album I've ever bought was Megadeth's Killing is my Business...and Business is Good!. But I don't suppose thats the kind of breakup the OP had in mind...  Erm 
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 May 2014, 3:26 pm

"Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating in Space" by Spiritualized is a cracking break-up album.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 3:26 pm

Best break up album is "The End of Silence" by Rollins Band "Tearing", "You Didn't Need", "Obscene" "Almost Real" Four angst filled songs but not actually written by a soppy little emo wimpy type.

There's also a song on "Come in and Burn" (same band) called "Rejection" which is more along the lines of how lucky it feels to have escaped a sh!tty relationship

"Rejection never felt this good,
Everything unclear, now so well understood
At first I didn't see it as kind
But you did me a favour when you left me behind"

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 May 2014, 3:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Best break up album is "The End of Silence" by Rollins Band "Tearing", "You Didn't Need", "Obscene" "Almost Real" Four angst filled songs but not actually written by a soppy little emo wimpy type.

There's also a song on "Come in and Burn" (same band) called "Rejection" which is more along the lines of how lucky it feels to have escaped a sh!tty relationship

Could also be about someone who is ultimately happy that their partner turned down an offer of anal sex.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 29 May 2014, 3:34 pm

Laugh 

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 3:53 pm

superflyweight wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Best break up album is "The End of Silence" by Rollins Band "Tearing", "You Didn't Need", "Obscene" "Almost Real" Four angst filled songs but not actually written by a soppy little emo wimpy type.

Could also be about someone who is ultimately happy that their partner turned down an offer of anal sex.  
If that was the case, surely this would be the lyric...

"But you did me a favour when you left me behind (alone and splurged all over my knockers instead)"

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 29 May 2014, 4:00 pm

I'm sure they sound better when sung.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 May 2014, 4:02 pm

kingraf wrote:

I would not bet on that Raf.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 4:15 pm

Rowley wrote:
kingraf wrote:

I would not bet on that Raf.
Shame you know little about it Rowley yet continue to appear so smug and condescending at the same time. A real talent I'm sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 May 2014, 4:17 pm

Learned everything I know from your contributions to the boxing boards Dave.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 4:24 pm

Yet have still to write anything as brilliantly insightful and well respected as my Peter Jackson and Bradley Pryce articles.

As Creed said to Balboa, "I taught you everything you know, not everything I know."

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 29 May 2014, 4:28 pm

Was Natalie Imbruglia's Torn about a break up or a post coital condition?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 29 May 2014, 4:31 pm

it's a real pity Creed didn't know fighting eight foot tall mono-syllable Soviets is deadly business.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 4:35 pm

Rowley may be monosyllabic but I think his resemblance to Drago ends there

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:27 am

I like Coldplay but after hearing magic,was a bit sceptical. Skipped threw a few songs of ghost stories and it is indeed a pile of whimsical pish. I thought Paltrow was the flaky one...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:00 pm

Rowley wrote:Music for people who do not like music

Jesus, you really can be a pretentious tw*t sometimes, Jeff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Jun 2014, 7:36 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:Music for people who do not like music

Jesus, you really can be a pretentious tw*t sometimes, Jeff.

Very kind of you to say so Tina

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 04 Jun 2014, 7:41 am

I believe Geoff said he makes an effort to listen to jazz, I believe there is no greater sign of a pretentious music aficionado than a person who "makes an effort" to listen to anything.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Jun 2014, 7:51 am

Can't fault a bit of jazz Raf. Have been known to stroke my beard when listening to it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:10 am

kingraf wrote:I believe Geoff said he makes an effort to listen to jazz, I believe there is no greater sign of a pretentious music aficionado than a person who "makes an effort" to listen to anything.

He "made an effort" to listen to some 'modern' music but he didn't like any of it.

Although to be fair, it must all have sounded muffled with his head that far up his arse.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:17 am

I'm with Jeff all the way on new music and can confirm that it sounds equally terrible and ball-less when heard out in the fresh air and from the confines of jeff's black pudding lined colon.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:55 am

Wow, is it slag me off day. I can only apologise to all involved, in the interests of avoiding being accused of being a musical snob fby Tina I will henceforth pretend Bastille are not cack and that Ed Sheeran is not a whiny little dullard.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:59 am

Rowley wrote:Wow, is it slag me off day. I can only apologise to all involved, in the interests of avoiding being accused of being a musical snob fby Tina I will henceforth pretend Bastille are not cack and that Ed Sheeran is not a whiny little dullard.

Jeff, I may have been a little rude to you with the 'head up the arse' comment. I apologise for that.

I am not retracting the 'pretentious tw*t' insult though as that is a FACT. I hope it won't ruin our friendship though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down