The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So far so good!!

3 posters

Go down

So far so good!! Empty So far so good!!

Post by JAS Wed 18 Jun 2014, 7:37 am

A bit of a big relief for my Club yesterday as the preferred bidder was announced for leasing the golf complex from the Council. In the end the council have seen sense an awarded it to a specifically golf based operator who also runs another muni in North London. The decision still has to be ratified by the full Council but that should be a formality. Looks like our course and facilities could be in for some decent investment and be run by a company that actually know what they're doing.

JAS

Back to top Go down

So far so good!! Empty Re: So far so good!!

Post by raycastleunited Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:42 pm

What's the other course in north London?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 18 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

Trent Park Ray

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:23 pm

I live 3 minutes from Trent Park. For a public course it's not a bad layout, and apparently it's usually in decent condition too. It has got to be one of the busiest golf courses I have ever seen. I've heard that at the weekend a round can take 6 hours. The club house and facilities are very run down though, and need investment. It must rake in the cash for the owners, so they obviously must be doing something right.

The shop is leased out to Nevada Bob's, and the range is leased out to N1, so you can probably expect to see the same at your course.

A lot of the popularity must be down to location. It is opposite Oakwood tube station on the Picadilly line so is probably the most accessible course in Britain.

So mixed feedback JAS.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:00 pm

Is the Oakwood Palace still going Ray?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Is the Oakwood Palace still going Ray?  

Haha yes. Never got food from there before, is it any good?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 20 Jun 2014, 12:11 am

Blimey, any recommendation from me would be well past it's sell by date; moved out of the area in 14 years ago now.

It was cheap, cheerful, and we liked the food. The mad father used to roam the tables lighting cigarettes for people, told you it was a while ago, and clearing away small plates etc. he was harmless but good entertainment. I'll see if I can get you a more curent review.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:29 am

Hi Ray & thanks for the feedback, you're right it is a bit mixed. Particularly concerning is the...

raycastleunited wrote: The club house and facilities are very run down though, and need investment. It must rake in the cash for the owners, so they obviously must be doing something right.

Twigmarket (the group behind Trent Park and the bid for ours) have promised to invest heavily in our course and facilities. I wonder if they invested heavily in Trent Park in the early days then let it run down. At least the course can't be run down if its very popular as I guess there are plenty other options in the North London area.

Sounds like a very popular & busy place yet apparently the Club only has 250 members!!. I could be reading too much into it but that suggests that the owners are more interested in Societies and play & play throughput than having a strong resident club with season ticket holders. Our club currently has around 500 members (down from about 800 in it's heyday) and the leisure card passport holder numbers are around 800 (down from about 1200).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:30 pm

If you assume that they will run it exactly like Trent Park (that's a big assumption) then...

You can look forward to a well maintained course, cheap green fees, a well stocked shop and a bunch of keen pros.

On the other hand you can expect 1. 5-6 hour rounds because the course is rammed with occasional pay and play visitors and even total hackers, 2. a clubhouse that exists for birthday parties, salsa and Zumba, and 3. almost no club atmosphere because let's be honest who would want to be a member at a club with 1 and 2!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down