The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Latest Film Poll

+5
skyeman
Mad for Chelsea
superflyweight
TRUSSMAN66
The Womble
9 posters

Go down

The Latest Film Poll Empty The Latest Film Poll

Post by The Womble Wed 18 Jun 2014, 11:30 am

Empire Magazine has released their top 301 films as voted by the readers. The top ten looks like this:

10 - Inception
9 - Raiders Of The Lost Ark
8 - Jaws
7 - Lord Of The Rings - Fellowship Of The Ring
6 - Star Wars: A New Hope
5 - Pulp Fiction
4 - The Shawshank Redemption
3 - The Dark Knight
2 - The Godfather
1 - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

What do we all think? Decent top 10 or not?

Blade Runner just missed out at number 11, personally I would have put that in the top 10 but then again I would have put Superman: The Movie in the top 10 so what do I know!

Full list is here:

http://www.empireonline.com/301/

The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

The Latest Film Poll Empty Re: The Latest Film Poll

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 11:38 am

Jaws is the best on that list for me...

Obviously as it's readers are young such old classics like Notorious, Casablanca and Psycho aren't getting a fair shake..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 18 Jun 2014, 11:55 am

It's sh!te. Some decent films on there (together with some rubbish) but the list is driven by Empire's popcorn munching demographic.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:00 pm

Reckon they are pseudo intellectuals too !! thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm

I agree Truss, over time as these polls come out we will see more and more classics slip further down the lists.

Of that 10, Jaws is also the best for me. I could watch that over and over again.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm

superflyweight wrote:It's sh!te.  Some decent films on there (together with some rubbish) but the list is driven by Empire's popcorn munching demographic.  

Laugh Love it!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

some odd choices. Much as I enjoyed Inception it would be some way off my top10 films of all times. Same with The Lord of the Rings, A New Hope and even Raiders (fine films though they all are).

I'm not sure it's all that modern-biased: only The Dark Knight, Inception and LOTR from the last 20 years (I think - Pulp Fiction from memory is 94), but it is a little "ageist" in the sense that there aren't any of the really older films there. That probably does reflect on the voting demographic.

Honestly, I'm going to be unpopular on here and say it's not that bad a list. I'm sure the grumpy old farts will disagree (it was all better back in my day  mad), but I think all ten films on there are good films. 5 of them make my top 10, and I enjoyed all of them, so I think it's a decent effort.

Though looking further down they have The Avengers in the top 20, and Aliens above Alien, which is just plain wrong (the original's always better, except in the case of Star Wars, everyone knows that).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:21 pm

This is proof that young people are sh!t.

Q/ "What's the best film ever?"

A/ "I dunno, what did I watch last week...it had that rapper in it...it was well funny...THAT!"

People from reality TV are being called "legends" Films that have been out over a year are being granted "classic" status. The Post Office has issue a set of stamps depicting classic children's TV shows. Bob the Builder and Peppa Pig are on there!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 18 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

Gees, i would have Forest Gump and The Green Mile in my top ten. But i do like Tom Hanks Wink 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 9:58 am

Picked up one of Rob's magazines to read on the can (Not mayfair unfortunately) a few years ago and it had some boy band above The Stones..

Same thing here...Contributers probably think Casablanca is a place on the outskirts of Essex..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:53 am

The Dark Knight at three? An impossible task to do I know, but........
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm

As with any "Reader's Poll" listing, I suppose it depends who was asked.   I wouldn't be at all surprised if the article in Empire Magazine doesn't tell us what grouping constituted the sample, or how many of them there were.  For all we know, it could have been cobbled together during a boozy late night lock in with the hack's buddies at a nearby Wetherspoon's.   "Hey lads, what are your top ten movies of all time.  I've gotta have something for the deadline tomorrow morning."

The resultant list is scrawled on the back of a beermat and then, in the morning, he crosses off "Nude Nuns with Big Guns" and inserts The Godfather in an attempt to give it a bit of credibility.

I could be wrong.  Given the readership of Empire Magazine, he'd probably leave Nude Nuns with Big Guns on the list.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:56 pm

The Fourth Lion wrote:As with any "Reader's Poll" listing, I suppose it depends who was asked.   I wouldn't be at all surprised if the article in Empire Magazine doesn't tell us what grouping constituted the sample, or how many of them there were.  For all we know, it could have been cobbled together during a boozy late night lock in with the hack's buddies at a nearby Wetherspoon's.   "Hey lads, what are your top ten movies of all time.  I've gotta have something for the deadline tomorrow morning."

The resultant list is scrawled on the back of a beermat and then, in the morning, he crosses off "Nude Nuns with Big Guns" and inserts The Godfather in an attempt to give it a bit of credibility.

I could be wrong.  Given the readership of Empire Magazine, he'd probably leave Nude Nuns with Big Guns on the list.
Perhaps I'm a bit more selective when it comes to the aesthetic beauty of breasts on screen but I was disappointed with that film.

I've never once been stopped and asked to give my opinions for any sort of survey so generally feel aggrieved when they say that X-number of people are offended by on-screen nudity or scenes of animal cruelty but, if asked, I'd openly admit that it would greatly enhance my enjoyment of EastEnders.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 21 Jun 2014, 9:32 pm

Not seen the Godfather.

Would probably have Shawshank at no 1.
Would have Pulp Fiction 2.

Would have A New Hope higher than Empire Strikes Back.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 23 Jun 2014, 9:08 am

westisbest wrote:Not seen the Godfather.

Would probably have Shawshank at no 1.
Would have Pulp Fiction 2.

Would have A New Hope higher than Empire Strikes Back.

That's interesting, you are the first person I have ever seen put New Hope above Empire. What makes you prefer New Hope?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Fri 27 Jun 2014, 6:47 pm

To be fair its what I'd expect from an Emprie list, though I did like Superfly's summarization of the readership Smile

I'd not have any of the above films in my top 30 I don't think, though there is undoubtably some fine films mentioned.

It would be nice to see a more indepth list one of these days but not holding out much hope.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down