SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 4 Empty SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Starts tomm and it seems the indisposed Prassanna the WK is a blessing in disguise.
Chandimal will keep wickets and will allow Lanka to play an extra batsman and given that the pitch is expected to assist seamers , it will help Lanka to have some extra batting cushion.

the other thing SL should and will look at is Kulasekhara...too gentle in speeds.......Lakmal was probably their first choice and unlikely  to have recovered from his hamstring strain.
They should play Dhamika prasad who bowls in excess of 140kph.....and captain Angelo should be willing to use himself a bit more as a seamer

Sri Lanka wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene will be unavailable for selection for the second Test, thanks to a finger injury to his right hand, which he sustained while keeping during the first day at Lord's.

He will be replaced in the squad by batsman Kithuruwan Vithanage, with Dinesh Chandimal likely to take over the gloves at Headingley. The injury will not prevent Jayawardene from batting in the second innings of the first Tes
t.

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 4 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm

well bowling four no-balls in one over certainly isn't going to help the over-rate!!!

These two doing a very good job. Still something in the pitch you feel, but England have played far less loosely than SL did. It may not be as exciting, but if they can carry on like this England will be in a very strong position.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 4 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Gerry SA on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

Ballance gone for 74. C Chandimal B Mathews

In strides the master of getting easy/freebie runs Ian Bell

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:45 pm

Another good session for England, ticking over nicely above 3 an over that session for just the loss of Ballance

Robson two away from a maiden test ton, looks very accomplished, not many risks taken and I like that he uses his feet to the spinners
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:51 pm

I remember the commentators mentioning on day 1 that on the previous two occasions this year where Robson failed in both innings of a first class match, he bounced back with a hundred in the next game. Shows good character certainly.

I think England are taking the right approach on this pitch, it's always doing just enough to keep the bowlers interested, so it's right to be a little cautious. England have no need to be in a hurry here, they should almost certainly be ahead by at least 50 runs or so, after just two days.

I would generally expect Bell to bat a little quicker than Ballance and Robson did, because that's more his game. Ballance played a good innings, and it's a promising sign that he's backed up his hundred in the previous game, bedding in nicely into that tricky n°2 spot.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

There is lots of time available in the game and England picked up the pace in the 2nd session, sensible....... Not getting bogged down, getting enough of a move about. Good from Robson and Ballance.
Disappointing effort from the Lankan bowlers so far.
Think Angelo Mathews should do a bit more bowling. Herath shouldn't be bowling 20 overs in under 2 sessions. I know Mathes has had injury concerns and he's far too precious in the batting department, but may be 10 overs a day won't be bad?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:17 pm

The poor man's Nick Compton, Sam Robson, registers maiden Test hundred.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

Congrats to Sam Robson on his first Test hundred  clap 

We will see how his technique holds up when he meets better bowlers ; but today puts to rest any concerns about his temperament . Which is perhaps the more important factor in the step up to the top level.

Last edited by alfie on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:34 pm

The new ball just around the corner. Sri Lanka need a massive effort from their bowlers with the new ball to keep alive any chance in the game. Otherwise England will comfortably bat them out of the game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

Indeed they do , msp.

Given the long batting lineup England are fielding here , you'd fancy them for a matchwinning lead from here. These seamers have already done a fair bit of work , and there isn't much there for Herath.

But you'd soon go broke betting on cricket so we had better wait and see.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:18 pm

good ball that to get rid of Robson, though one suspects had that been bowled with the first new ball he might not have played such an expansive shot. Nonetheless a very very fine knock from the England youngster, and a very important one both for him and for his counrty.

Also promising-ish signs for England in that the ball is still doing quite a bit: Botham saying quite rightly that at Headingley there's always something in it for the bowlers.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:22 pm

On initial impressions, Robson seems to be the most compact of the young English lot. Doesn't have any apparent weaknesses unlike Ballance or Root, who can get stuck in the crease a bit or Moeen, who can be a bit loose outside the offstump.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:29 pm

can't help but imagine the reaction if Cook was setting this field to a new batsman with the second new ball...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm

msp83 wrote:There is lots of time available in the game and England picked up the pace in the 2nd session, sensible....... Not getting bogged down, getting enough of a move about. Good from Robson and Ballance.
Disappointing effort from the Lankan bowlers so far.
Think Angelo Mathews should do a bit more bowling. Herath shouldn't be bowling 20 overs in under 2 sessions. I know Mathes has had injury concerns and he's far too precious in the batting department, but may be 10 overs a day won't be bad?
Something to do with the overrate perhaps? They've probably already given up on this Test and Mathews surely won't want to be missing a test against SA at home, a series they are more likely to win than this one.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:33 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:can't help but imagine the reaction if Cook was setting this field to a new batsman with the second new ball...
In fairness, Sri Lanka are already in a position where they can only realistically draw the match and of course, Mathews doesn't have the repertoire of quality bowlers that Cook has at his disposal.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:51 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:can't help but imagine the reaction if Cook was setting this field to a new batsman with the second new ball...
In fairness, Sri Lanka are already in a position where they can only realistically draw the match and of course, Mathews doesn't have the repertoire of quality bowlers that Cook has at his disposal.

disagree with the first part. This is day 2. When Robson got out England were about 270-3 I think, so if SL had nipped a couple out quickly and limited the damage from the tail they could have hoped to bowl England out sometime tomorrow morning for a deficit of 120 (that means last 7 wickets for 100, not exactly impossible surely on this pitch?). Bat for a day and a session, score 400. England chasing 280 on the last day. Not exactly an impossible win in my book. As it is, they've let Root (and to a lesser extent Bell) get themselves in without much pressure. I understand the field to Bell, who was in and with the harder ball could have taken it away from them, but would have liked to have seen them be more aggressive to Root.

Agree with the point about the bowlers though.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm

I would add that Root isn't a batsman who gets fidgety when he doesn't score boundaries, unlike maybe someone like Warner. I think his first 50 at Lords included just 2 fours. He's perfectly happy to just tick the scoreboard over...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:00 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:

disagree with the first part. This is day 2. When Robson got out England were about 270-3 I think, so if SL had nipped a couple out quickly and limited the damage from the tail they could have hoped to bowl England out sometime tomorrow morning for a deficit of 120 (that means last 7 wickets for 100, not exactly impossible surely on this pitch?). Bat for a day and a session, score 400. England chasing 280 on the last day. Not exactly an impossible win in my book. As it is, they've let Root (and to a lesser extent Bell) get themselves in without much pressure. I understand the field to Bell, who was in and with the harder ball could have taken it away from them, but would have liked to have seen them be more aggressive to Root.

Agree with the point about the bowlers though.
The two points are interlinked though. If Sri Lanka had a Mitchell Johnson, they would have had realistic chances of turning this match around. Not with this bunch. He's probably just happy to sit back and would be happy to settle for a draw which would be an excellent result for them in England. Not that it is looking particularly likely either but still....... Of course if Dhoni had adopted these tactics I would've lambasted him  Very Happy  as I obviously want us to win but since there are no Sri Lankans on board here, the lack of outrage is understandable.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

it was also the lack of lambasting in the commentary box...

anyway SL do have the two quick wickets. Bell to a somewhat unfortunate legside strangle, and Root to a very indeterminate poke outside off (poor shot that). SL somewhat back in the game, England need to be careful they don't undo all their previous good work here.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:15 pm

poor shot from Moeen, his third in as many innings, with no real sizeable contribution yet. England are undoing their good work...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:15 pm

Another loose dismissal for Moeen.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

Moeen Ali is England's Nohit Sharma? Talented, wristy elegance, loose outside the offstump, bowls off spin.

Far more likeable bloke than Nohit I guess though.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:45 pm

so all in all not a bad day for SL, though England are still on top. SL fought back very well in the last hour, but still trail by 60-odd runs, and England's good tail will look to extend that by as many as possible tomorrow. Prior and Jordan were both missed in the last 15 minutes or so, Prior to a tough caught and bowled chance (very tough), but Jordan should probably have been taken at short-cover (after all the fielder is there for that shot). Will that cost them?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:13 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Moeen Ali is England's Nohit Sharma? Talented, wristy elegance, loose outside the offstump, bowls off spin.

Good one Shanky. But I suspect there they don't rave about the elegance and beauty of his strokeplay even when he edges and write poetry about his performances in the nets!. All they are excited about is his ability to bowl the Doosra!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:15 pm

The Lankan bowlers did not have immediate success with the new ball, but the last 45 minutes, they have rested back a lot of the lost ground. But it was it this point that they lost control of the game in the last match, the England lower order scored a lot of runs in the last game, Sri Lanka just can't allow that to happen tomorrow.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm

And I see Angelo did bowl the 10 overs for the day and took 2 wickets!.
Pradeep travelled a bit and was not as penetrative with the new ball as he was in the first game, Eranga was accurate and took 2 wickets and yet again looked their best bet in the seam bowling department. Hopefully Prasad can use his ability to bowl at a good speed to good effect against he England lower order.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:29 pm

msp83 wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:Moeen Ali is England's Nohit Sharma? Talented, wristy elegance, loose outside the offstump, bowls off spin.

Good one Shanky. But I suspect there they don't rave about the elegance and beauty of his strokeplay even when he edges and write poetry about his performances in the nets!. All they are excited about is his ability to bowl the Doosra!.

Laugh 
That did make me chuckle a bit.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 9:01 pm

A good day for England despite the final hour, a decent enough lead with a few wickets left and enough in the wicket to really encourage there bowlers 

If we can get to a lead of 120-150 we'll be in a really commanding position

Well played to Robson, Ballance and Bell today. Moeen needs a score, not sure he'll get a second chance in this game tho...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm

Lanka are behind but not out yet.

They should fight to keep Eng under 400 i.e lead under 150
score 300+ and set around 175ish to chase.......
you would still back Eng to chase it down...but there  would be something for lankan bowlers to work with....and upsets do happen.

Eng must work hard to get 450+ that's a lead of 200+
and bowl out Lanka out for another 250ish.......make the chase rather notional.

so the swing is...... between a less likely but possible upset to.....an easy defeat...depending on who fights harder and has some luck
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:18 am

Olly wrote:A good day for England despite the final hour, a decent enough lead with a few wickets left and enough in the wicket to really encourage there bowlers 

If we can get to a lead of 120-150 we'll be in a really commanding position

Well played to Robson, Ballance and Bell today. Moeen needs a score, not sure he'll get a second chance in this game tho...

I was away yesterday but from a look at the scores now and what I saw on day one, I'm pretty much with Olly. If we're batting into the second hour this morning, it's going to be very hard for Sri Lanka to pull things back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:06 am

Interesting to hear England had the heavy roller on the pitch this morning to the amazement of locals and commentators, considering sri Lanka will do the same later

Groundsman and Plunkett have both said apparently how the heavy roller will take all pace out of the wicket, yet England still applied it.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:15 am

Morning all.

Good contest again.

I had to laugh yesterday at Botham when he said "Eng should be 300-350 ahead by the end of tomorrow".

He hasn't been watching the same England as the rest of us has he.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:35 am

Yes I think Botham was imagining a pre Ashes England, back when they could still bat.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

Morning Trebell, Very right, good contest, all results still possible, even if Lanka are a little under the cosh.

Is the Wife well?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:38 am

Certainly some seam movement off the pitch today, nibbling about which is encouraging as it seems we'll be batting soon!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:50 am

kingraf wrote:Morning Trebell, Very right, good contest, all results still possible, even if Lanka are a little under the cosh.

Is the Wife well?

Yep, I fancy Sri Lankans batsmen to set a stiff target here.  Going to be difficult if Eng bat like this second time around.

Not too bad at all thank you, doing well.   How are you and yours?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:55 am

Very well thanks... Girlfriend a little annoyed that I'm going on a boys cruise for 15 days tomorrow, but such is life.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

So England bowled out for 365. Shaminda Eranga takes a much deserved 4for.
It is safe to say England frittered away the advantage provided by Robson, Ballance and Bell, but a lead of 108 is quite on this track.
Sri Lanka will have to bat much better in their 2nd innings to make a game out of it, the batters need to support the efforts of the bowlers.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:12 pm

Again having to rely on cricinfo but seems a good start to the day for Sri Lanka. England clearly have a useful lead but not a decisive one.

Olly - odd what you posted about the roller, thanks for that. Anything else said there?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

Much of the part of the 100 run lead is of set by the pressure and vagaries of the pitch for the team batting fourth.

Not quite an even game but about 65-35 in favour of Eng.

Lanka worked hard and pulled it back quite a bit.

now they need to set a 200+ chase...and it would be more or less even then
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

And Angelo taking his best test haul and I do like that!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:33 pm

msp83 wrote:And Angelo taking his best test haul and I do like that!.
mathews is not too diffrent from Binny and shows the values of having a 5 bowler
sky commentatrs showed how the ball from jagging and jumpign off the length when mathews was bowling

pitch has deterioated from one End it seems
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Again having to rely on cricinfo but seems a good start to the day for Sri Lanka. England clearly have a useful lead but not a decisive one.

Olly - odd what you posted about the roller, thanks for that. Anything else said there?
Hussain reckons on the third man bit they have on sky that the roller might just have disturbed the pitch a little, and thus the seam is gripping on the surface a tad more

A bad drop from Jordan, got his hands in a mess. Karunaratne looks like a walking wicket
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:35 pm

England ahead but failed to bat Sri Lanka out the game from a very strong position. Sri Lanka probably need to get past 300 from here to make a game of it, at least England are unlikely to be chasing on a day 5 pitch.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:48 pm

Cheers, Olly. I can follow that. Hard to make a judgment not being there, let alone not seeing it on tv!

Plenty of time left which might suit both sides. England have sufficient time to bowl Sri Lanka out but if SL can bat long England will be having to complete their run chase on day 5 which they won't fancy. For now, SL just need to bat each session.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

kingraf wrote:Very well thanks... Girlfriend a little annoyed that I'm going on a boys cruise for 15 days tomorrow, but such is life.

Sounds like fun! Where are you going?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:54 pm

If Lanka can bat four sessions... England could be in trouble.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 12:57 pm

Nowhere in particular Trebell, Going to a few politically stable islands off the coast of Africa. Mauritius, Seychelles, Reunion. Promises to be plenty of fun.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:02 pm

So that ends the morning session, Sri Lanka 22 without loss. Its been Lanka's session, they took the last 4 England wickets for 45 more, and then their openers survived 12 overs with the new ball. England had a chance, but the catch wasn't taken.

Last edited by msp83 on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:05 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:And Angelo taking his best test haul and I do like that!.
mathews is not too diffrent from Binny and shows the values of having a 5 bowler
sky commentatrs showed how the ball from jagging and jumpign off the length when mathews was bowling

pitch has deterioated from one End it seems
But KPF, Angelo can bat, and makes the side as a batsman first.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 1:06 pm

kingraf wrote:Nowhere in particular Trebell,  Going to a few politically stable islands off the coast of Africa. Mauritius,  Seychelles, Reunion. Promises to be plenty of fun.

Lovely!

Going back to the game I'd say SL are in charge.  Eng didn't capitalise on their start and SL are well on their way to closing the gap.  Batting last here with a fragile order could easily see Eng lose this.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum