SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Starts tomm and it seems the indisposed Prassanna the WK is a blessing in disguise.
Chandimal will keep wickets and will allow Lanka to play an extra batsman and given that the pitch is expected to assist seamers , it will help Lanka to have some extra batting cushion.

the other thing SL should and will look at is Kulasekhara...too gentle in speeds.......Lakmal was probably their first choice and unlikely  to have recovered from his hamstring strain.
They should play Dhamika prasad who bowls in excess of 140kph.....and captain Angelo should be willing to use himself a bit more as a seamer


Sri Lanka wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene will be unavailable for selection for the second Test, thanks to a finger injury to his right hand, which he sustained while keeping during the first day at Lord's.

He will be replaced in the squad by batsman Kithuruwan Vithanage, with Dinesh Chandimal likely to take over the gloves at Headingley. The injury will not prevent Jayawardene from batting in the second innings of the first Tes
t.


Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down


SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm

The lead goes pass 200.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:03 pm

So that's lunch. Sri Lanka 331-7. They scored 97 runs in the session for the 3 wickets. The 3 wickets have kept England in the game, but I would call that an even session.......

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

Lead now over 200. Still three left..

Sri Lanka's morning I reckon. Though I am wondering if this pitch is going to remain true throughout ; in which case a chase of even 280 shouldn't be too daunting. Even for a possibly fragile batting lineup  Whistle 

alfie

Posts : 11353
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:08 pm

Don't think we should all be underestimating the role of Rangana Herath here in the fourth innings

He is a top quality spinner and this pitch is spinning, anything near 250 will be tough imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 46745
Join date : 2011-09-19
Age : 24
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:58 pm

and even Herath in double figures now..... is getting a few runs......not batting like a tail-ender any more that needs protection
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by wadey101 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:03 pm

Don't really get why they're refusing the single. Herath is facing full overs at the other end so it's not like Mathew's is farming the strike. They should be taking all the runs they can at the moment and then Mathew's can try and keep strike once Herath is out

wadey101

Posts : 383
Join date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

A fine hundred from the Lankan skipper!.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Scrumpy on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

Cook is not a very good Captain, what are we doing?

Try some spin?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Posts : 4217
Join date : 2012-11-26
Location : Aquae Sulis

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

He does realise Moeen has been aside from plunkett our most threatening bowler?!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 46745
Join date : 2011-09-19
Age : 24
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Scrumpy on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

I don't think he has any idea to be honest.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Posts : 4217
Join date : 2012-11-26
Location : Aquae Sulis

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

Ali has had a bowl at last....... Anderson and Broad didn't look 100 percent, Plunkett continues to ask questions of the batsman in between. Sri Lanka going into a bit of a shell for the last 15 minutes or so. Not sure that's the way to go at this point. Nothing reckless, but keep the runs coming steadily.......

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:44 pm

msp83 wrote:Ali has had a bowl at last....... Anderson and Broad didn't look 100 percent, Plunkett continues to ask questions of the batsman in between. Sri Lanka going into a bit of a shell for the last 15 minutes or so. Not sure that's the way to go at this point. Nothing reckless, but keep the runs coming steadily.......

Msp - to be fair to Sri Lanka, the right balance for them isn't easy. I agree they want to keep the runs ticking and avoid going into their shell. However, every run past a 250 lead and every over used up today (meaning England have to bat more on a day 5 track) probably edges Sri Lanka very slightly ahead ....

guildfordbat

Posts : 13199
Join date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:45 pm

Lead over 250.....

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:46 pm

Cook captaining like " Captain asleep" Dhoni  Very Happy Very Happy 

hertah has put on 84 runs with Mathews

now there are 2 ways of looking at this........pitch is so easy that Eng can chase what-ever Lanka puts on the board.

OR

Eng is in a given-up-hope.....waiting for declaration...and match gone mode. ( this is the Dhoni mode b.t.w)
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Scrumpy on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:49 pm

We need a new Captain, end of.

Cook isn't the guy to lead us.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Posts : 4217
Join date : 2012-11-26
Location : Aquae Sulis

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:49 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
msp83 wrote:Ali has had a bowl at last....... Anderson and Broad didn't look 100 percent, Plunkett continues to ask questions of the batsman in between. Sri Lanka going into a bit of a shell for the last 15 minutes or so. Not sure that's the way to go at this point. Nothing reckless, but keep the runs coming steadily.......

Msp - to be fair to Sri Lanka, the right balance for them isn't easy. I agree they want to keep the runs ticking and avoid going into their shell. However, every run past a 250 lead and every over used up today (meaning England have to bat more on a day 5 track) probably edges Sri Lanka very slightly ahead ....
Yeah that's right Guildford. But the problem is that even now, 1 wicket can bring the remaining 2 in no time. Sri Lanka has a lead with which the bowlers can feel they have something at least. But by no way are they in a safe position with so much of time left in the game. I doubt they can bat so much of time out of the game now, the strength of runs would be more helpful than that of time....... And I am by no means suggesting that they should send the England fielders on a bit of a leather hunt

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

if Lankan bat one more hour........get the lead past 300....than lankan defeat is virtually out of question.

then at best a draw for Eng or more likely a defeat
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

Mathews trusting Herath less against the spin of Moeen Ali than the quick stuff from Plunkett. Interesting......

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

Another poor, or may be desperate review from England and Herath is going nowhere!.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:02 pm

Not his finest game for Matt Prior is it?

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

msp83 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
msp83 wrote:Ali has had a bowl at last....... Anderson and Broad didn't look 100 percent, Plunkett continues to ask questions of the batsman in between. Sri Lanka going into a bit of a shell for the last 15 minutes or so. Not sure that's the way to go at this point. Nothing reckless, but keep the runs coming steadily.......

Msp - to be fair to Sri Lanka, the right balance for them isn't easy. I agree they want to keep the runs ticking and avoid going into their shell. However, every run past a 250 lead and every over used up today (meaning England have to bat more on a day 5 track) probably edges Sri Lanka very slightly ahead ....

Yeah that's right Guildford. But the problem is that even now, 1 wicket can bring the remaining 2 in no time. Sri Lanka has a lead with which the bowlers can feel they have something at least. But by no way are they in a safe position with so much of time left in the game. I doubt they can bat so much of time out of the game now, the strength of runs would be more helpful than that of time....... And I am by no means suggesting that they should send the England fielders on a bit of a leather hunt

Msp - we're not far apart at all. I fully accept your point about ''1 wicket can bring the remaining 2 in no time''. Just feel Sri Lanka's approach now should be similar to eating an elephant - ie one bite at a time. Important not to be daunted nor to get ahead of themselves. Keep ticking but have the objective of still being the batting side at tea. That would certainly mean England having to get the majority of their runs on the final day. That may not turn out to be the help to their bowlers that I've recently indicated but they undoubtedly would prefer that.

guildfordbat

Posts : 13199
Join date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

Herath on to 34 and growing in confidence, and the partnership passed 100.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:09 pm

if lanka bat anotehr 3o minutes......lanka would have eliminated defeat as an option for them.
the test match has turned around from Eng looking like the only team that could win at the  end of D2 to the only team that can lose by tea time on D4

Eng are about 11 overs behind the rate.......and second test match in a row.

that's anotehr sign of a captain with a clouded brain...I have seen Dhoni and before that Ganguly...when going through horrible patches their over rates drop to a crawl


Last edited by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
msp83 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
msp83 wrote:Ali has had a bowl at last....... Anderson and Broad didn't look 100 percent, Plunkett continues to ask questions of the batsman in between. Sri Lanka going into a bit of a shell for the last 15 minutes or so. Not sure that's the way to go at this point. Nothing reckless, but keep the runs coming steadily.......

Msp - to be fair to Sri Lanka, the right balance for them isn't easy. I agree they want to keep the runs ticking and avoid going into their shell. However, every run past a 250 lead and every over used up today (meaning England have to bat more on a day 5 track) probably edges Sri Lanka very slightly ahead ....

Yeah that's right Guildford. But the problem is that even now, 1 wicket can bring the remaining 2 in no time. Sri Lanka has a lead with which the bowlers can feel they have something at least. But by no way are they in a safe position with so much of time left in the game. I doubt they can bat so much of time out of the game now, the strength of runs would be more helpful than that of time....... And I am by no means suggesting that they should send the England fielders on a bit of a leather hunt

Msp - we're not far apart at all. I fully accept your point about ''1 wicket can bring the remaining 2 in no time''. Just feel Sri Lanka's approach now should be similar to eating an elephant - ie one bite at a time. Important not to be daunted nor to get ahead of themselves. Keep ticking but have the objective of still being the batting side at tea. That would certainly mean England having to get the majority of their runs on the final day. That may not turn out to be the help to their bowlers that I've recently indicated but they undoubtedly would prefer that.
Agree with pretty much all that.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by GSC on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm

If England lose this, I have a hunch Cook will resign as captain.
GSC
GSC

Posts : 38975
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 27
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

GSC wrote:If England lose this, I have a hunch Cook will resign as captain.

I think it will be a case of "jumped sensing he was about to be pushed off the edge"

two questions arise:

1) Will he play as an opener vs. India ?
2) will Bell be the next captain ?


Last edited by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

Broad has been spelled and its Anderson now.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by GSC on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:21 pm

Probably Broad given hes T20 captain.
GSC
GSC

Posts : 38975
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 27
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:22 pm

these bowl wide outside the off with fielders all on off....or choke by bowling outsdie leg.........or try to get not both batsmen out but only the percieved tailender are dangerous traps...that bowling sides might fall into...with limited returns
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:22 pm

KP_fan wrote:
GSC wrote:If England lose this, I have a hunch Cook will resign as captain.

I think it will be a case of "jumped sensing he was about to be pushed off the edge"

two questions arise:

1) Will he play as an opener vs. India ?
2) will Bell be the next captain ?
After all that the ECB has done for Cook including ruining the career of one of their best ever batsmen, I don't Cook would be going anywhere.
And Against India, he will most certainly open, that's his most assured way back to form.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:22 pm

GSC wrote:Probably Broad given hes T20 captain.

good choice  thumbsup 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:25 pm

Ali getting some sharp spin at times, Herath will be taking notes I am sure!.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm

although India would like to see Cook in the side as a batsman / captain.

if if Eng do make that decision...they will keep Cook for the entire series

Ind also doesn't like Hales / warener / gayle type aggressive openers
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm

GSC wrote:Probably Broad given hes T20 captain.
With his injury record, I doubt whether Broad will be made the skipper. Read somewhere that he has in fact been advised to give up T-20 to prolong his career.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm

KP_fan wrote:
GSC wrote:Probably Broad given hes T20 captain.

good choice  thumbsup 

Nothing Broad has done in t20 leads me to believe he is a likely Test captain. Fast bowlers rarely do the job anyway for obvious reasons.

Will Cook fall on his sword ? Not after his matchwinning 160 not out tomorrow  Smile 

alfie

Posts : 11353
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by GSC on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm

KP_fan wrote:
GSC wrote:Probably Broad given hes T20 captain.

good choice  thumbsup 
Other only reasonable choices would be Bell, Prior or Anderson. Prior got dropped in Australia, neither Bell or Anderson really strike me as captain material.

Broad would be a risky gamble but England need shaking up.
GSC
GSC

Posts : 38975
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 27
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

Lead now 300.....

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:35 pm

Reckon Sri Lanka will bat on after tea until they are completely safe : doubt Matthews would make England any gifts on what is starting to look a real road.
Question will then be can England bat out a day and whatever overs they face tonight ? At least it will be a test for the new boys.

As I said on day two , predicting how Test Matches will go is a tricky business. I think this one has fooled everyone so far. But I think Sri Lanka are the only team that can win from here.

alfie

Posts : 11353
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by GSC on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:39 pm

England can bat out a day on this pitch. But it'd be a big ask if their captain is trudging back to the pavilion early again. Low scores did for Strauss...
GSC
GSC

Posts : 38975
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 27
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

alfie wrote:Reckon Sri Lanka will bat on after tea until they are completely safe : doubt Matthews would make England any gifts on what is starting to look a real road.
Question will then be can England bat out a day and whatever overs they face tonight ? At least it will be a test for the new boys.

As I said on day two , predicting how Test Matches will go is a tricky business.  I think this one has fooled everyone so far.  But I think Sri Lanka are the only team that can win from here.
Alfie, I won't rule out an England win at this stage. As I said, 1 wicket can bring 2 more very quickly and Sri Lanka will be bowled out in no time. Yes, they do have a significant lead at the moment, but if they are bowled out in the next 20 minutes of play for another 15 odd runs, and if England get to chase 325 in almost 4 sessions, it is not beyond them. Yes the track is taking some spin from time to time and Rangana Herath is a very good spinner. But Sri Lanka do not have a Root like or Ali like parttime spinner in their ranks to support him. Even the England seamers are not able to extract much from this track, so I don't expect the Lankan seamers to have any real impact on day 5.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

and Eng get a wicket in the only way possible...via a run out
herath misses a well deserved 50 and lanka miss a 150 run partnership for the 8th wicket by a solitray run.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

Now with Herath gone at the stroke of tea, England should be expecting to bat pretty quickly in the final session, chasing something around 330.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:45 pm

msp wrote: I won't rule out an England win at this stage.

msp...Eng ain't coming within 100 runs of winning this one.
they are morally beaten already....and impossible for them to fight back given that their leader is non-existent
KP_fan
KP_fan

Posts : 7523
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm

What an absolute farce of a session/day

I have no words, apart from farcical.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 46745
Join date : 2011-09-19
Age : 24
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by GSC on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:48 pm

England can do it, but how can you have any faith in their grit and determination to do so.

Change of leadership is becoming more necessary unfortunately.
GSC
GSC

Posts : 38975
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 27
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:52 pm

msp83 wrote:
alfie wrote:Reckon Sri Lanka will bat on after tea until they are completely safe : doubt Matthews would make England any gifts on what is starting to look a real road.
Question will then be can England bat out a day and whatever overs they face tonight ? At least it will be a test for the new boys.

As I said on day two , predicting how Test Matches will go is a tricky business.  I think this one has fooled everyone so far.  But I think Sri Lanka are the only team that can win from here.
Alfie, I won't rule out an England win at this stage. As I said, 1 wicket can bring 2 more very quickly and Sri Lanka will be bowled out in no time. Yes, they do have a significant lead at the moment, but if they are bowled out in the next 20 minutes of play for another 15 odd runs, and if England get to chase 325 in almost 4 sessions, it is not beyond them. Yes the track is taking some spin from time to time and Rangana Herath is a very good spinner. But Sri Lanka do not have a Root like or Ali like parttime spinner in their ranks to support him. Even the England seamers are not able to extract much from this track, so I don't expect the Lankan seamers to have any real impact on day 5.

All good in theory , msp ; and I hope you are right ! But I really can't see it happening . England's bowlers look too flat to get these last two wickets in any short time ; and their spirits are going to be so low I'd be astonished if they could lift themselves for a serious run chase.
Even with nothing in the pitch , my money is on a Sri Lankan win.

alfie

Posts : 11353
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

That wicket- and the timing of it - should give England a massive lift.

Get the last 2 wickets quickly and we really have a game on. Sri Lanka have battled their way to the box seats but not all done yet ....

guildfordbat

Posts : 13199
Join date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:56 pm

guildfordbat wrote:That wicket- and the timing of it - should give England a massive lift.

Get the last 2 wickets quickly and we really have a game on.  Sri Lanka have battled their way to the box seats but not all done yet ....
Yeah Guildford, Lanka well ahead at the moment, But England not yet out of it. As I said, plenty of time, that's what they have.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:58 pm

And a little unfair to put it all on Cook . He has had a poor day (after having a very good one on day one , remember ). But he hasn't been bowling , generally not very well , or dropping catches.

He will probably need to go just to stop everyone rabbiting on about his deficiencies to the detriment of team confidence ; I just hope Bell if he takes over won't find his batting goes downhill under the pressure. But I don't think that is Englands main problem...

alfie

Posts : 11353
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 5:05 pm

Couple of good balls from Anderson in the first over after tea, but Shaminda Eranga survives. Will be interesting to see how Mathews will approach the rest of this innings.

msp83

Posts : 13959
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 6 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum