The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v India First Test Trent Bridge

+24
Corporalhumblebucket
jbeadlesbigrighthand
dyrewolfe
VTR
dummy_half
Pal Joey
Scrumpy
mystiroakey
JDizzle
NickisBHAFC
king_carlos
subhranshu.kumar.5
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
Gerry SA
guildfordbat
liverbnz
Liam
Duty281
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
KP_fan
kingraf
msp83
28 posters

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge - Page 5 Empty England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

The 5 test series cramped into a 42 day schedule gets underway at Trent Bridge tomorrow. The 2 middling sides have a lot to prove. Hopefully we'll get to have some exciting cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge - Page 5 Empty Re: England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:45 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:50 for Ballance clap. Doing his best to nail down the n°3 position for the foreseeable future. and also the 100 partnership.

Anyone reckon Ashwin should be playing, would surely be more threatening than Binny, who didn't exactly look a great batsman either?

England also really need to sort out their spinner problem.

Don't want to risk setting up Binny for a fifer ...but I reckon my granny could play him with a stick of rhubarb...

Robson fifty says thanks  Smile 

alfie

Back to top Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge - Page 5 Empty Re: England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm

Binny is like a bowling machine set on 1/10 difficulty.

But still players are playing well so dont want to take too much away from them.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:50 pm

At the risk of jinxing them, its fill your boots time. Nerves last night after Cooks dismissal have dissipated, theres no demons in the pitch or the bowlers.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

GSC wrote:At the risk of jinxing them, its fill your boots time. Nerves last night after Cooks dismissal have dissipated, theres no demons in the pitch or the bowlers.

Well yes. But they need to stay switched on ...only takes one mistake to get you out ; making sure you keep concentrating in this situation is something England haven't always done in recent times.
Certainly no demons around.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:01 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Maybe not talk about the win today but at least try and set the platform for it (if that's the plan).

England should aim to be around 130-1 around lunch. They can't go too slowly.

131/1... pretty much spot on again.  Smile 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:01 pm

59 a piece and its lunch-

best session for england so far

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:02 pm

LB good call lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:03 pm

Comfortably Englands session. Unless India can produce a post break burst like England did a few times it could be a long afternoon.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:04 pm

131/1 at lunch...good session for England ; 88 from 31 with just the one alarm when Kohli couldn't hold on at leg slip.

Well played both of them. Same again next session please...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:04 pm

Duty281 wrote:For those of us able to engage the gray matter, and not be blinded by anti-Englishness, we will see that forcing a result on this pitch will be a very tough ordeal, made harder by the Indian bowlers being out of form.

Cook's dismissal was freakish but so long as England go unscathed through the first half hour tomorrow, they should be able to bat through the day in relative comfort and put the Indians under pressure going into day four.

This is exactly what happened.

Some solid batting by Ballance and Robson this morning has put England in a much healthier position. Going on the attack this afternoon - with the aid of a softer ball and an Indian side losing confidence - will be imperative to really get on the front foot.

Last edited by Duty281 on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:05 pm

no real issues for either Robson or Ballance in that session (apart from one chance offered by Robson). Will be interesting to see if Shami can find some of the reverse swing England managed after lunch. Jadeja getting a little bit of turn, but it's slow. These two need to settle in for bed and breakfast.

who'd be a bowler eh?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:06 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Maybe not talk about the win today but at least try and set the platform for it (if that's the plan).

clap 

Nice one , lb. what's tea ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:07 pm

225/2 is my call.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:09 pm

alfie wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

clap 

Nice one , lb.   what's tea ?

223-2.  Smile (not telling you which batsman gets out though)

Think they need to do a little better than more of the "same".
Perhaps they should start to turn the screws a little tighter and continue to accelerate the run rate?

Last edited by Linebreaker on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm

Wonder what Gerry makes of the Indian attack after labelling Jimmy a club bowler.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm

Gerry goes missing during these spells GSC Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:no real issues for either Robson or Ballance in that session (apart from one chance offered by Robson). Will be interesting to see if Shami can find some of the reverse swing England managed after lunch. Jadeja getting a little bit of turn, but it's slow. These two need to settle in for bed and breakfast.

who'd be a bowler eh?

Indeed. Looks like a lot of work for India's bowlers ...the England pace men will fervently hope they are kept working until Saturday evening at least !
The one advantage India have is that Jadeja is unlikely to be knocked around as much as Ali , so they can rotate their pace men more easily. Though when Binny is one of the pace men...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm

220/1 at tea. 335/2 at stumps. Declared at 650 by the end of day four. Eight wickets for Anderson on Day Five. Victory by ten wickets, after Cook hits all four runs that are needed for the win. Yahoo

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:14 pm

Fair point lb ; but I mean just basically play safely...I think the scoring rate will take care of itself as the bowlers tire.
New ball again around tea time so it would be nice if these two were still there to take it on.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:15 pm

Duty281 wrote:220/1 at tea. 335/2 at stumps. Declared at 650 by the end of day four. Eight wickets for Anderson on Day Five. Victory by ten wickets, after Cook hits all four runs that are needed for the win. Yahoo

I'll have some of what he's on Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:15 pm

alfie wrote:Fair point lb  ; but I mean just basically play safely...I think the scoring rate will take care of itself as the bowlers tire.
New ball again around tea time so it would be nice if these two were still there to take it on.

Hopefully for England, yes. Would be nice to see them both closing in on centuries as well.  Smile 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

Just hit the bad for 4 and take it easy- and try and end the rate at around 3 unless we get to 400 with loads of wickets then we could possibly push for a potential win smashing it (but that is a long way off)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

the faster men have been easier to score off.

India should bowl with Jadeja , Bhuv and Binny with Dhoni standing up...with an insdie out field.
a wicket might bring in two or three

Eng still 2 sessions away from safety
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:220/1 at tea. 335/2 at stumps. Declared at 650 by the end of day four. Eight wickets for Anderson on Day Five. Victory by ten wickets, after Cook hits all four runs that are needed for the win. Yahoo

Very Happy 

That's the Duty we all know and love ! Welcome back ...and glad to see you've recovered from the funk brought on by events in Brazil and Headingley  Smile 

For a day or two there I thought you were auditioning for a role as the New Trebell ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:19 pm

While it's nice to be thinking about how best to try to win the game, England are a very long way behind still, more than 300, so let's not get carried away. If England are only 3-4 wickets down at the close (and about 100 behind, maybe a bit more), then we can re-evaluate. For the moment, draw is heavy favourite (very very heavy, but then for me it has been since lunch on day 1).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:30 pm

yep if we get to 400 we hit out - but before 350 we take it easy sticking to an RR of around 3.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:36 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:While it's nice to be thinking about how best to try to win the game, England are a very long way behind still, more than 300, so let's not get carried away. If England are only 3-4 wickets down at the close (and about 100 behind, maybe a bit more), then we can re-evaluate. For the moment, draw is heavy favourite (very very heavy, but then for me it has been since lunch on day 1).

Agreed. 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:While it's nice to be thinking about how best to try to win the game, England are a very long way behind still, more than 300, so let's not get carried away ...

Exactly. A couple of wickets lost in the first 20 minutes after lunch and the scoreboard will look very different. As we are for now ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm

That's a pretty big no ball
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:45 pm

surprised to see Sharma starting off after lunch. Would have thought they'd give Shami a go for the reverse, from memory Sharma doesn't reverse it much? Starts with a huge huge no-ball. Surely it can't be that hard to sort that out??

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:46 pm

Sounded like a lot of bat there!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:46 pm

Sharma does the business.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm

well there you go. Sharma strikes. no DRS and Robson has clearly edged it. Another undeserved break for India...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm

There goes one wicket ! Looked like inside edge (?) but Robson on his way...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

Gutting

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:49 pm

time for the rest of the world to just cancel all games with India unless they change there stance on DRS

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

Smashed it. Unlucky Sam. Decent ball from Sharma though, little bit of in movement.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

Tbh, I don't get why, from a sporting view, teams are allowed to pick and choose whether they want. Surely for competitive balance, its used all the time, or none of the time.

From a political view its obvious
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

that was plumb and on the back-foot.
hotspot showed a white spot but cameras zoomed in did not show any clear edge....nor did snicko pick anything woody contact
an example to me of how DRS could have created controversy

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

No inside edge. I don't think. It's close, but I think the umpire got it just about right. Plus the edge is at the bottom, and the ball passes about halfway up the bat. Fantastic call
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

Ah the perils of playing a backward, pathetic cricketing nation like India.

Time to steady the ship now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:54 pm

KP_fan wrote:that was plumb and on the back-foot.
hotspot showed a white spot but cameras zoomed in did not show any clear edge.

not really, hotspot shows a clear inside-edge. It then hits both pads which creates a lot of interference with the snicko, but the hotspot is clear, a white mark appearing right as the ball passes the bat = edge.

that's three decisions which would have been overturned with DRS already, and we're only halfway through day 3 of the series.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

JDizzle wrote:Smashed it. Unlucky Sam. Decent ball from Sharma though, little bit of in movement.

Did he though ? Replays not conclusive ...mark on the bat which could have come from hitting his pad - all close together...
Think he did edge it but I am not getting too steamed up about it...England had some luck getting Vijay .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

I'm not as convinced as Beefy anyway.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:57 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
KP_fan wrote:that was plumb and on the back-foot.
hotspot showed a white spot but cameras zoomed in did not show any clear edge.

not really, hotspot shows a clear inside-edge. It then hits both pads which creates a lot of interference with the snicko, but the hotspot is clear, a white mark appearing right as the ball passes the bat = edge.

that's three decisions which would have been overturned with DRS already, and we're only halfway through day 3 of the series.

this is a case study in " how Hot-Spot gets it wrong"

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm

2-1 to India on DRS saves then.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:00 pm

The best case scenario is bat/pad... but even then it's still possible it was pad first. Decision would probably have stayed with the on field umpire, as even for the third umpire, it would be heavy guesswork.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:04 pm

kingraf wrote:The best case scenario is bat/pad... but even then it's still possible it was pad first. Decision would probably have stayed with the on field umpire, as even for the third umpire, it would be heavy guesswork.

nah the ball clearly "passes" the bat before hitting the pad, so the mark on the bat is either a faint inside edge or him hitting his back pad (he's quite clearly not hit his front pad). I'm fairly certain it's an inside-edge: there's a small something on snicko, and a very slight deflection on the front-on angle, there's also nothing on the back pad on hotspot I don't think.

For me there's enough evidence to (in theory) overturn the decision. Unfortunately, because India don't understand science, we'll never know.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

There's something on both pads MfC, the front pad picks up a little something as the ball passes as well, before it hits the back pad.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm

alfie wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Smashed it. Unlucky Sam. Decent ball from Sharma though, little bit of in movement.

Did he though ?  Replays not conclusive ...mark on the bat which could have come from hitting his pad - all close together...
Think he did edge it but I am not getting too steamed up about it...England had some luck getting Vijay .

I think so. Hot spot on the bat, doesn't hit his front pad, that gets overturned with DRS. And I know players may try and con the umpire, but Robson's demeanour after he was given suggests to me he hit it.

Indeed England had some luck getting Vijay, and I just hope no-one tries to defend that as 'evening it out'.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next