The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v India First Test Trent Bridge

+24
Corporalhumblebucket
jbeadlesbigrighthand
dyrewolfe
VTR
dummy_half
Pal Joey
Scrumpy
mystiroakey
JDizzle
NickisBHAFC
king_carlos
subhranshu.kumar.5
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
Gerry SA
guildfordbat
liverbnz
Liam
Duty281
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
KP_fan
kingraf
msp83
28 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge - Page 9 Empty England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

The 5 test series cramped into a 42 day schedule gets underway at Trent Bridge tomorrow. The 2 middling sides have a lot to prove. Hopefully we'll get to have some exciting cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge - Page 9 Empty Re: England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 8:24 pm

Now that the ball isn't 90mph at the throat, the tailenders have remembered how to bat.

I don't like pitches like this, I really don't. I suspect, like the first two English Tests, it will crumble and we'll all be on the edge of our seats in the last session... but for me, that's not how it's supposed to be. Essentially punishing teams for losing the toss. "We'll give you nothing on day 1... the pitch is so flat there is no 'best day for batting', and we'll let the pitch crumble like a cheap tart".
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge - Page 9 Empty Re: England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by KP_fan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm

kingraf wrote: Now that the ball isn't 90mph at the throat, the tailenders have remembered how to bat.

I don't like pitches like this, I really don't. I suspect, like the first two English Tests, it will crumble and we'll all be on the edge of our seats in the last session... but for me, that's not how it's supposed to be. Essentially  punishing teams for losing the toss. "We'll give you nothing on day 1... the pitch is so flat there is no 'best day for batting', and we'll let the pitch crumble like a cheap tart".

if that in bold happens the groundsman / pitch curator would be justified.....

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 9:46 pm

Sorry, I disagree. Crumbling day five pitches are only good when the side expected to bat on day five have been given some sort of advantage to counteract this, ie a bit of green day one, or a very good batting day for day three. This is lambs to the slaughter stuff. I'll watch, of course, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 Jul 2014, 9:54 pm

Strange goings on. Two of the three sessions clearly belonged to England but it was still India's day. However, not so much that they can relax. The draw has to be the favourite but all results still possible.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm

kingraf wrote:Sorry, I disagree. Crumbling day five pitches are only good when the side expected to bat on day five have been given some sort of advantage to counteract this, ie a bit of green day one, or a very good batting day for day three. This is lambs to the slaughter stuff. I'll watch, of course, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable.  

how is this diffrent from green tracks that offer pace and bounce on D1 and and then flatten out?
wining the toss does give an advantage on many pitches but that's from time immemorial

I had proposed though that instead of roll of toss...captain should be given the choice sequentially  in alternate game.
starting with the visiting captain  making his choice in first test.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:41 pm

Stuart Broad has saved the day today IMO. 

Ali, Prior, and Stokes all disappointing. Ali is out of his dept IMO.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm

A bit harsh on Moeen Ali who's only playing his third Test, and has already made a century in one of them.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

Well batted Jimmy  Very Happy Quite stylish at times....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

I don't mind winning the toss having an inherent advantage, I do mind winning the toss finishing the match effectively from ball one.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:12 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote: .................

.......Pringle swung the ball and could bat a bit and the rational of picking him was same as Binny.......5 bowlers cum 6th batsman...lends balance..when you canto afford to pick a pure bowler or pure batsman.

and England driven by conditions had plenty of such 5th bowler cum 6 batsmen that I can remember......David Capel, Chris Cowdrey, Pringle, craig White..and sometimes Bresnan was also picked by same logic

pitches and environments where ball doe swing and seam, this kinda balance player doe make sense

Laugh ....Irani, Ealham, etc.  Many a long list has been compiled of all the English rounders who didn't turn out to be the new Botham....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 12 Jul 2014, 1:33 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

.......Pringle swung the ball and could bat a bit and the rational of picking him was same as Binny.......5 bowlers cum 6th batsman...lends balance..when you canto afford to pick a pure bowler or pure batsman.

and England driven by conditions had plenty of such 5th bowler cum 6 batsmen that I can remember......David Capel, Chris Cowdrey, Pringle, craig White..and sometimes Bresnan was also picked by same logic

pitches and environments where ball doe swing and seam, this kinda balance player doe make sense

Laugh ....Irani, Ealham, etc.  Many a long list has been compiled of all the English rounders who didn't turn out to be the new Botham....

Adam Hollioake, Gavin Hamilton, Dominic Cork (who at least was a Test class bowler, but should have been batting no higher than 8), Chris Lewis,

Basically, between Botham and Flintoff, if you played some reasonably successful county cricket and bowled some medium paced wobblers and got the occasional 50 you had a chance of being England's 'next great all rounder'...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 12 Jul 2014, 2:26 am

dummy_half wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Adam Hollioake, Gavin Hamilton, Dominic Cork (who at least was a Test class bowler, but should have been batting no higher than 8), Chris Lewis,

Basically, between Botham and Flintoff, if you played some reasonably successful county cricket and bowled some medium paced wobblers and got the occasional 50 you had a chance of being England's 'next great all rounder'...

with the exception of Hollioake all others named were atleast allrounders at the first class level.
Hollioake was plucked out and thrown into international cricket for being a captaincy material
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 12 Jul 2014, 7:47 am

My point is that Binny is pretty much like the names mentioned here recently, not good enough with the bat, not good enough with the ball, yet picked on some desperate hope that he would somehow balance the side, not going to happen? If they were to pick a 5th bowler, they should have picked someone who could have given 10 quiet overs. Binny never looked like coming anywhere close to getting a wicket, and was milked around effortlessly by the batsman. Had Ravindra Jadeja gone for a few more runs than he did and offered even slightly less control than he did, Binny's selection would have been even more exposed. Jadeja did alright anyways, but this is another pointer as to why R Ashwin can't come in as the led spinner when Binny is playing. Ashwin tends to go for a few more runs than Jadeja even on good days, when conditions does not suit him, he gets desperate and trys too many things and the captain would have not much control from his end. So if Ashwin plays, it has to be in place of Binny. India would lose nothing whatsoever with the ball, they'll only gain as Ashwin is an attacking bowler who would be free to try things without trying to get in between 2 roles of attacking and containing. And they wouldn't lose too much with the bat either, Ashwin has proved already that he's more than a bowler who can bat, he has a test average of 40, and has 2 test hundreds.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 12 Jul 2014, 8:21 am

why did ashwin lose his place to jadeja when being a bowler he averaged 40 with the bat  Shocked 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:08 am

So today we'll have some #declarationspeculation

India need to attack to have a shot at winning, both with bat and with declaring. Let's see if MS can show Cook how to do it Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:26 am

Lead will need to be 350 or so by end of play for an overnight declaration
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:38 am

Don't think it realistically needs to be over 300 myself (slow, low pitch, Beginning to have variable bounce) - But, yeah, 350 probably needed to psychologically feel "safe"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:45 am

If India get England's last wicket early doors, they might want to give us about 20 minutes tonight. However, I can't see Dhoni doing much more than that. India are in a good position but not a great one. Dhoni would be daft to seriously risk losing the opening Test (don't underestimate the importance of the first Test of a series) from where they are now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:46 am

Olly wrote:So today we'll have some #declarationspeculation

Don't think England will declare yet. Another 50-100 runs, then maybe. Smile 

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:57 am

dhoni will not declare until just before lunch tomm.

This a battle Royale in..." who is a bigger chicken"

so far...Cook is a little bigger chicken...but there is 2 more days to go in this test and 4 more tests.....Dhoni might win this crown also
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:00 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Olly wrote:So today we'll have some #declarationspeculation

Don't think England will declare yet. Another 50-100 runs, then maybe. Smile 
Maybe let Jimmy get his hundred first Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

And the Burnley Lara clips one off his legs as the march towards a hundred begins
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:05 am

I do love that even when he bowls well Ishant still manages to rack up a hundred and go at over four an over Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

What's the point of Stuart Binny?

Dirty slogger with the bat, and a medium paced roller with the ball.

He'd struggle to get a game for most county sides...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Olly wrote:I do love that even when he bowls well Ishant still manages to rack up a hundred and go at over four an over Laugh
He's learnt we from the clubman Anderson

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

The Burney Lara must be setting his sights on a big knock here.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:14 am

kingraf wrote:The Burney Lara must be setting his sights on a big knock here.
He'll probably burst into tears like a big girl again ...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:16 am

I see Simon Katich has retired. Talk about a guy who refused to go gently into the night.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

Good so far England ...these two have put Allott and Willis in the shade , and got the lead under eighty ...

Risky run there for Root is the nearer thing to a scare this morning. Hope young Joe can get that hundred as he's really worked for his team here .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:36 am

Hundred it is ! Bubbly 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:37 am

Fantastic knock from young Joe! What a start to the summer he's had!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

When mediocre players like Vijay and Root are getting 100s, plus Shami and Anderson scoring runs, you know the pitch is shocking.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

Roooooooooooooot  clap clap 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

Highest Test score now for Jimmy...

Milestones keep coming  Smile 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:42 am

Jadeja soon surely?!

Burnley Lara playing expansive drives, majestic Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

100* partnership  Bubbly Bubbly 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:45 am

Hundred stand up now  clap 

First time I think both teams have done this in a Test Match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:45 am

Sky sports getting excited over Jor Root's average of 45 and 4 hundreds.

He's a shocking player.

8 Tests outside England he averages mid 20s. With only 2 50s.

4 cheap hundreds on these crap pitches shows how crap he is.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:46 am

Astonishing to think nearly a quarter of the runs in this game have come in the tenth wicket.

Nearly an hour into day four, and the game isn't even half done. You couldn't begin to criticize this pitch enough.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

Good scoring rate this morning too.

...and 400 up  Smile 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

Gerry SA wrote:Sky sports getting excited over Jor Root's average of 45 and 4 hundreds.

He's a shocking player.

8 Tests outside England he averages mid 20s. With only 2 50s.

4 cheap hundreds on these crap pitches shows how crap he is.

A bit OTT to suggest he's a "shocking" player?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:51 am

Jimmy has strike rate of 85.  Shocked 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

Very pleased with Joe Root in this game. As critics who actually know something about cricket have recognized , he has flaws in his technique , which he will need to work on. But his character has enabled him to play some very good innings under pressure - this one arguably the best , despite the bland pitch.
I don't want him moved up the order again. But I think he is one for the next ten years.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:55 am

I just didn't think he was a test opener. Certainly not in Aus with their seamers.

Getting tricky now for India. Going to have to push hard to set a total from here, and risk giving England an opening if they do.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:01 pm

Jimmy  Yahoo  Yahoo 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

Fifty for Jimmy !

In style  Bubbly Bubbly music guinness Ale cake clap 

Hey he can have whatever he wants...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

the odds you would have gotten on Jimmy becoming the first #11 to score a century...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:10 pm

This is cricket peaking.

Literally it'll never get better than a James Anderson 50. 

*edit - he just nutmegged Dhoni with a reverse sweep. Its majestic
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm

James is just batting so far above his median, it's actually humorous. First time he's ever faced 50 consecutive deliveries in one innings,
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm

Absolutely unbelievable stuff!

Much respect to both Root and Anderson.

Time to promote Jimmy to #6 or 7 I think!  Wink 
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next