The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live fight thread

+13
Knowsit17
mobilemaster8
3fingers
kingraf
Sugar Boy Sweetie
John Bloody Wayne
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
Yojimbonufc
Dipper Brown
Steffan
wheelchair1991
The Boss
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Live fight thread - Page 3 Empty Live fight thread

Post by The Boss Sat 12 Jul 2014, 8:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Haven't seen any mention of the fights yet so thought I'd start a thread. Rocky Fielding not getting everything his own way so far.

Not the most exciting looking card.

What's everyone's thoughts for the night?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by jimdig Sun 13 Jul 2014, 9:30 am

There is no way showtime will consider Lara v Mayweather now. Not that mayweather was considering it anyhow.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 9:33 am

Yeah,
1 - Floyd could lose
2 - a win would be painful on the eye.
3 - Lara did not win new fans over
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 10:50 am

I scored it for lara not totally sold on
Canelo still that one scorecard was a joke

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:25 am

There were a lot of rounds Lara threw away by just being very inactive.

I could see a draw or a round or two either way. Scoring the fight to Lara by 4 rounds seems way off to me. To my eyes Canelo was the only one trying to win the fight. Lara must be kicking himself he didn't do more.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:35 am

jimdig wrote:Yeah Raf, I do admit that I favored aggression. I can see it not being judged effective aggression, but I just got so frustrated with Lara on the run. I can totally see scoring the other way around.

I think I watched it with the premise that this was going to be a great fight, I thought Lara would bust Canelo up and make him look silly, Canelo would eventually catch up with him and stop him late. My scoring could also be hampered by how wrong my prediction was.

I picked Lara to win but still saw the fight similarly to yourself albeit a slightly closer affair.

While the punch stats were similar there was more venom in Canelo's shots.

BTW Lara's footwork didn't look too bad to me. Canelo as flat footed as ever.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

Look, it's not inconceivable for Alvarez to have won the fight, but there is a pattern developing in his fights. The Trout fight was sealed mathematically by the eighth round, The Floyd fight had a dodgy 114-114, and now I'm asked to believe he had a 9-3 performance vs Lara.

I like Saul, I really do, but he seems to get some serious breaks
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:24 pm

On a grainy picture as my sky is down at the minute, so can't fully trust my judgement, but I scored it for Alvarez by a couple of rounds ish. I'm surprised by the controversy to be honest.

You can't score it for the guy on the back foot unless he's landing the heavier punches surely. At least that's the way I feel about it. Lara said Canelo's bodywork wasn't scoring but I'm not so sure.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm

There is always one homer in any judging panel unfortunately.

Ask the question though has Canelo ever gotten away with a robbery?

I have seen a couple of fan polls and both have Canelo winning the fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

Not sure how people say Lara running is what cost him.

He threw about the same volume of punches and landed 10 more.

That must therefore mean Alvarez was plodding around all fight throwing nothing if Lara was supposedly running doing jack all??

Makes no sense.

Lara outboxed him using his movement, he landed more shots and threw the same.

He landed the more eye catching shots as well and genuinely looked a lot better.

Not sure how Saul is ranked so highly.

If he wasn't a ginger kid from Mexico with Uncle Hoya in his corner, he wouldn't be top 10 let alone a champ.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

He's not a champion but he is a very good contender and he's showed that against Trout, Angulo and now Lara, you're not going to win in Vegas running away it just doesn't happen so fairly naive of Lara to think it would work against the poster boy. The fight was there for him to win but on the night the right man won.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

I think your being slightly harsh i scored it for lara by 2 points and i agree some of the scoring in regards to canelo fights is a joke, he is not a p4p fighter for me and as you have outlined above if he wasnt a ginger mexican he wouldn't be getting all the hype he gets based on ability alone

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:04 pm

Are you wumming Hammer? Sorry but I disagree.

If the opponent wasn't Canelo I would guarantee that Lara would have won last night.

Pretty certain of it.

Its very rare you win a fight by just charging around throwing air shots, getting outpunched and out landed all fight.

It rarely happens.

When it does, its Canelo.

I'm not saying its a robbery, as I knew (as did others) that this would have happened unfortunately.

Boxing politics speak louder than a fighter, end of story.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him beat mayweather using the same style as last night even if he is out punched all night.

Shame.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:07 pm

Alvarez is never going to lose a close fight. As long as he can keep a fight competitive the judges will see him through.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Are you wumming Hammer? Sorry but I disagree.

If the opponent wasn't Canelo I would guarantee that Lara would have won last night.

Pretty certain of it.

Its very rare you win a fight by just charging around throwing air shots, getting outpunched and out landed all fight.

It rarely happens.

When it does, its Canelo.

I'm not saying its a robbery, as I knew (as did others) that this would have happened unfortunately.

Boxing politics speak louder than a fighter, end of story.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him beat mayweather using the same style as last night even if he is out punched all night.

Shame.

De La Hoya couldn't win a fight in Vegas running away so how do you expect Lara too?

You're not taking into account that judges will give more credit for a power punch to the body than a jab, you seem to be basing it entirely on compubox and Canelo wasn't outpunched and landing 10 more punches doesn't exactly suggest a robbery either does it.

The man moving forward in a close fight will get the benefit of the doubt, it's happened throughout history and will continue to do so.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:18 pm

Well Floyd can do it.

In fact Floyd did do it to canelp buy moving round and shooting his jab and right hand.

He did it slightly more convincingly than Lara, but very similar style that was absolutely and ruthlessly punished last night by a joke 117-111 scorecard against an aggressive fighter who (in my eyes) looked average at best at times.

Not only that, but his childish post fight behaviour showed another side to him that I didn't like. Not so humble as I'd originally thought.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm

Floyd didn't run and he outlanded Alvarez by a huge margin, it wasn't a remotely close fight like yesterdays was, I have no idea how you're coming to the conclusion you have, it's not as if Lara dominated and exposed him is it.

In a close fight the aggressor more often than not gets the nod but do carry on with yet more inane drivel, too much hyperbole for what was a close fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:26 pm

Thought we didn't care about Compubox?

The point is, Floyd won with ease, but yet scraped out of the MGM with an MD and not a UD.

114-114 on one card yet I had it nearly a complete shut out as did most.

So its happened 3 times to him in the past few fights.

Is that coincidence that the scorecards are that poor or are the judges genuinely blind?

I'm not sure, its like when we a watch Avril box Rios head off his shoulders or when D Garcia SHOULD have lost the other month to Herrera.

I'm sure politics plays a massive part behind the scenes. Probably always will.

But as a fan, I just find it frustrating Hammer. Especially when I'm up all night like most of us.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:40 pm

I don't think Canelo winning is controversial, although I do feel like if Lara fulfilled his potential he would have won at a canter.

Now and again he'd throw these crisp counter hooks up close that really backed off Alvarez, but was content to do things amateur style.

Canelo won it on will and confidence, fair play to him.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 13 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm

Strongback wrote:
jimdig wrote:Yeah Raf, I do admit that I favored aggression. I can see it not being judged effective aggression, but I just got so frustrated with Lara on the run. I can totally see scoring the other way around.

I think I watched it with the premise that this was going to be a great fight, I thought Lara would bust Canelo up and make him look silly, Canelo would eventually catch up with him and stop him late. My scoring could also be hampered by how wrong my prediction was.

I picked Lara to win but still saw the fight similarly to yourself albeit a slightly closer affair.

While the punch stats were similar there was more venom in Canelo's shots.  

BTW Lara's footwork didn't look too bad to me. Canelo as flat footed as ever.

i miss judged Lara's feet alright, they were way more swift than I thought they would be. Shame they only went backwards. if he had of backed Canelo up now and again he could have one the fight. He got 1.5 million plus a cut of the ppv, nice work if you can get it. 

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 13 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm

I screwed up the quote function.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm

Absolutely butchered it actually.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 5:47 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Thought we didn't care about Compubox?

The point is, Floyd won with ease, but yet scraped out of the MGM with an MD and not a UD.

114-114 on one card yet I had it nearly a complete shut out as did most.

So its happened 3 times to him in the past few fights.

Is that coincidence that the scorecards are that poor or are the judges genuinely blind?

I'm not sure, its like when we a watch Avril box Rios head off his shoulders or when D Garcia SHOULD have lost the other month to Herrera.

I'm sure politics plays a massive part behind the scenes. Probably always will.

But as a fan, I just find it frustrating Hammer. Especially when I'm up all night like most of us.

You don't need compubox to know that Mayweather was outclassing Alvarez every which way, he was the only one landing significant punches in that fight.

Last night was a toss up between the pressuring and body work of Alvarez or the jab and movement of Lara, when it comes down to a choice between the two, invariably the man moving forward wins.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3