The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Open

+4
kwinigolfer
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
gaelgowfer
8 posters

Go down

Scottish Open Empty Scottish Open

Post by gaelgowfer Sun 13 Jul 2014, 2:52 pm

What can I say ... Justin Rose is a class act both on and off the course.  

Wonder what Wee Eck really thinks about a sassanach (scots for saxon) raiding his political back yard right in the thick of his quest for separation from Englandshire? (lol)    

First time I've visited Royal Aberdeen GC.  Stunning but brutal golf course.  Boy oh boy, the fairways weren't half tight.  The thing is, I don't think they could have been widened much more in 'normal' conditions.  I actually pity the members!

Scenically, can't understand why Aberdeenshire Council doesn't make more of what's on its doorstep.  Rolling hills and pretty fishing villages are well worth a visit.  And, it has proper links courses.  Not 'beat you up' long either.  Good old fashioned 'stepping back in time' golf courses. Courses where you can turn up and walk onto the first tee without needing to book a time.  And ... cheap as chips!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Scottish Open Empty Re: Scottish Open

Post by Davie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:25 pm

3 or 4 years too late to realize Rosey is a class act - but thanks for pointing it out

Also I think thanks are welcome for informing us that Sassenach is scots for saxon. Trouble is, he's not exactly a Saxon is he?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 13 Jul 2014, 4:44 pm

Wasn't he born in South Axica?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:29 pm

gael,
Royal Aberdeen certainly looked the part from 3,000 miles away; hope some sort of rota can be agreed so that RA sees the Scottish Open again soon.
(Seemed the course was dumbed down and shortened a bit for Sunday's round; the morons on TV said it was to ensure the guys didn't get beaten up the week before a major and would want to return asap - surely a fallacious point of view?)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:16 am

Really classy venue and I hope it keeps the event. The strength of the field this year compared to last year suggests that the Pro's were aware it would be a more realistic test for the following week than Castle Stuart was. Frankly I'm amazed at the scoring, clearly 4 very benign days (with the possible exception of Friday afternoon when the breeze just nudged up a notch).

I'm guessing that Rose will be the favourite for this week now, clearly in a rich vein of form.

Why can't Salmon just stfu??, just present the prizes and get out of the way, you cringeworthy and irritating little man!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Jul 2014, 2:51 am

Should have popped along the coast to see Trump's masterpiece Gael.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 14 Jul 2014, 3:13 am

super_realist wrote:Should have popped along the coast to see Trump's masterpiece Gael.

I did! raspberry Very Happy

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 14 Jul 2014, 3:19 am

gaelgowfer wrote:
super_realist wrote:Should have popped along the coast to see Trump's masterpiece Gael.

...and??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Jul 2014, 3:20 am

Probably like the typical bitter Scot she is, she probably put one foot over the threshold and did the v-sign

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 14 Jul 2014, 4:31 am

JAS wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

...and??

JAS, haven't really got much to report as we didn't play the course.  Wouldn't have gone at all had someone not told us you didn't require a booking to go and have a look around.  We dropped in mid-Saturday morning.  Long winding driveway down to the course.  There was wee bit of a haar coming and going so we weren't able to fully enjoy the stunning setting.  In so far as the facility itself is concerned, the practice facilities seemed to be quite extensive.  Phil Mickelson was making full use of them.  Faldo was on the course (apparently) and Poulter was in the clubhouse.  

Seems to be two halves of nine going in opposite directions with the clubhouse in the middle.  We mosied down to the first tee and managed to see most of the hole.  We then went and had a look at the 18th green which looked in pretty good nick.  

Given we were there on a mid-morning Saturday, thought the place would have been quite busy but it was very quiet.  Had we decided to play, we could have walked straight onto the first tee.  In fact, I think we could've and no-one would have been any the wiser! Wink

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 14 Jul 2014, 4:33 am

super_realist ... you and Davie should get a room.  You're clearly made for each other.  What a sad pair you are.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:11 am

Did anyone else pick up on Salmond's promise that the Scottish Open would return 'to North East Scotland'? Sounds like he's in Trump's pocket.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:24 am

SmithersJones wrote:Did anyone else pick up on Salmond's promise that the Scottish Open would return 'to North East Scotland'? Sounds like he's in Trump's pocket.
We all know Trump has a big pocket. But to fit Salmond in there..???

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:31 am

Gullane next year, Castle Stuart in 2016.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:49 am

kwinigolfer wrote:gael,
Royal Aberdeen certainly looked the part from 3,000 miles away; hope some sort of rota can be agreed so that RA sees the Scottish Open again soon.
(Seemed the course was dumbed down and shortened a bit for Sunday's round; the morons on TV said it was to ensure the guys didn't get beaten up the week before a major and would want to return asap - surely a fallacious point of view?)

Hi there kwini.  Would be great if the Scottish Open returned to Royal Aberdeen although given the very testing conditions on the first day of competition, I think a lot of the players might have been thinking it wasn’t a good idea to play quite such a demanding course (in windy conditions) the week before an ‘Open’.  Hadn't appreciated the course had been shortened for the final day.  We were there for just the first two days.  I think you may well be correct in your assertion though.

Not sure if it will return to RA in the foreseeable future though.  Think I read or heard somewhere that the members weren't too keen to have it back.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down