The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cormier to fight Jones at UFC 178

5 posters

Go down

Cormier to fight Jones at UFC 178 Empty Cormier to fight Jones at UFC 178

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:06 pm

Apparently Gustafasson is out with a knee injury & is replaced by Daniel Cormier. Thoughts on this fight?

Back to top Go down

Cormier to fight Jones at UFC 178 Empty Re: Cormier to fight Jones at UFC 178

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 25 Jul 2014, 9:21 am

I think it's an easier fight for Jones, but still an interesting one. Points win or possible late finish.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Jul 2014, 10:07 am

Shame I was dying to see the rematch because the first fight between Jones and Gustaffson was amazing. That said there will be plenty of entertainment on the undercard too, particluarly McGregor v Poirier which may now be as big a draw for this event.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:55 am

Gutted Gus is out; was uber hyped for the rematch.

Still, DC is a great fight, and it'll be pretty interesting to see how Bones handles someone with superior wrestling and strength (from what I've read). Keep him at range with oblique kicks and jabs; possibly target DC's knee?

It's a pretty awesome card all round, despite losing some gloss in the marquee event.

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 4:15 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:I think it's an easier fight for Jones, but still an interesting one. Points win or possible late finish.

Wow interesting, my first thoughts on this one was that it could be a harder fight! I think Jones has to be well prepared & on top form for this fight, keep it standing, at range & as Rinsure says take his legs/knees out. DC is stronger & a better wrestler than anybody Jones has fought & quite likely Jones as well. Look how he manhandled HW's! Jones must get his respect early as I can see DC looking to just walk through him land some big punches, take him down & pound him. DC needs to get it done early as I'm not sure about his stamina especially since cutting down to 205.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:43 am

I do rate Cormier as a dangerous opponent for Jones, but just not as much as Gus, who was superb in their fight.

Cormier is a supreme wrestler, but I think the height and reach difference will be a big advantage for Jones. I also can't see him being able to pin Jones against the cage and rough him up.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Wed 13 Aug 2014, 9:59 pm

Fight's been postponed as Jones has picked up an injury. Now schedule for Jan 3.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/jon-jones-injured-fight-with-daniel-cormier-delayed-until-2015-081214

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:18 pm

Yeah saw this reported last night, disappointed, was really looking forward to this fight. Is Cormier still fighting on the card? I also read that Gus wants that date to rematch Jones and for Cormier to step aside & fight the winner. Kind of seems fair as Cormier only got it due to Gus having to pull out through injury. I have a feeling that Dana wants to make Cormier a big star as opposed to Gus, hopefully Gus gets to fight the winner.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:51 pm

After the fight at the presser last week, there is no way Gus is getting ahead of Cormier now. This fight has been hyped too much for it not to happen first.

Be interesting to see whether Gus would risk his title shot against Rumble.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:17 pm

Agreed, for me this is a bigger fight despite Gus running Jones so close or beating him in many peoples eyes last time out. If Jones beats Cormier & then fights Gus i think Jones beats him more convincingly this time. In the first fight I think he underestimated Gus & ended up having an off night, 2nd time round he will know what to expect & not make the same mistakes.

It will be interesting to see what Gus decides to do, he's pretty much got the rematch guaranteed so can opt to sit it out. A lot will depend on the outcome of Rumbles next fight & if it seems to be the bigger fight, we all know how Dana & the UFC operate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:04 pm

Feel sorry for Gus but there is no way they are not going with Jones vs Cormier.

Gus doesn't want to lose his chance and is saying he'll wait but that could be another year and a waste of his prime years.

Rumble vs Gus makes sense and if they had that as the co-main beneath Jones vs Cormier that would be a huge event.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:15 pm

Well the fight draws close, what are peoples thoughts on the outcome? When i first posted most seemed to fancy Jones, although I felt it was a much tougher fight than Gus and still do. Saw a vid recently on fighters picks and most were going for DC.

Another interesting thing that was originally brought up in this thread was Gus and the possibility of a fight against Rumble.............well its on with the winner to fight the winner of Jones vs DC! Thoughts?

Personally I think it sucks and didn't come as any surprise, Gus was told he'd got his rematch but now he's fighting an eliminator!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:23 pm

So did anybody see Gustafasson vs Johnson last night? Good while it lasted but Johnson destroyed him, this guy has got serious power, Gus just couldn't recover. Should be Jones next.

Undercard had Hendo vs Mousasi and for once Mousasi didn't bore me. He took the fight to Hendo, clipped him on the temple and the the ref jumped in as Mousasi went in for the kill. An early stoppage for me and probably most others, pity as I think it would have turned into a decent fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm

Rumble is a 100% beast at LHW!

If you look at his last 5-6 fights his power is scary.

You've got to view Rumble as a completely different one that fought at WW.

Jones will still be the favourite but will be very dangerous until he possibly tires.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down