The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is it...

+12
Diggers
Roller_Coaster
pedro
MustPuttBetter
hend085
lorus59
incontinentia
Bob_the_Job
SmithersJones
super_realist
Davie
BlueCoverman
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why is it... - Page 3 Empty Why is it...

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 25 Jul 2014, 9:06 am

First topic message reminder :

...that when there is the slightest bit of handbags a thread gets locked?

Just curious that's all...I notice there has only been 1 post on the golf forum in the 16 hours since the 'Farewell' thread was brought to a halt.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Why is it... - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is it...

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:28 pm

I doubt legal action is in any way a risk. Are all the Irish or fatties going to collectively sue??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Out of interest, what was dumb about it?

Firstly my post had absolutly nothing to do with religion and secondly you havent the foggiest notion what my religious beliefs if any are. Finally your post was just a pathetic attempt to draw me into some ridiculous debate on religion that I dont have any interest in and then to claim that I am trying to preach some sort of religious message to you is quite honestly it is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on a forum. Well done. You are a fully certified clown.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:57 pm

I'm not bothered getting involved, but I do agree with GunsGerms. And I get the impression some of our American posters aren't happy about how there being portrayed either.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm

GunsGerms wrote:You are a fully certified clown.

At last!...Guns has finally given us an example of an offensive comment

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

incontinentia wrote:People are generally braver posting anonomously. I'd imagine theres a greater risk of legal action for posting abusive/derogatory/libellous material under your own name too.

There was a guy in Wales that was arrested for comments he made on twitter I think. Im not suggesting that SR has said anything that would merit arrest but mainly comments that wouldnt be received well in public. That doesnt have to mean physical violence and I never said it did. Personally I dont believe that anything outside of rugby is resolved with aggression or violence.

SR on your comment that I am just looking to be offended, this is a fair point because sometimes people do seek out offense, sometimes I do myself, however, the merits of this argument wane significantly when you continue to repeat the things that people tell you are causing offense. You are clearly knowingly insulting certain posters.

At the heart of the debate is possibly that there are very different social paradigms at play in Ireland vs the UK where Irish arent as accepting of derogatory comments made against other people's beliefs or cultures even if qualified with intentions of humour. With a history of mainstream comedians that relied on racism to get laughs, such as Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson it isnt surprising that such jokes are still by some considered funny. One mans humour is another mans insult anyway.

I still find it astonishing that Mrs Brown's Boys is so sucessful in the UK. The homour is so rudimentary, so basic, devoid of any wit. Maybe the two nations have very different ideas of what is funny?

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm

I don't believe they are insulted by them Guns, if anything, it's synthetic outrage, as in they pretend they are offended.

Seriously. The things I have said and the manner in which I've said them you'd have to have a screw loose to consider them offensive.

Given that you've not supplied why you consider they are offensive, whilst at the same time claiming not to be offended, i'll put you in that bracket, and in the "offended on others behalf".

So, do you take yourself and your nationality too seriously? It would appear so.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm

I'm not bothered getting involved, but I don't agree with GunsGerms. And I get the impression some of our American posters are amused about how they are occasionally portrayed

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:I'm not bothered getting involved, but I don't agree with GunsGerms. And I get the impression some of our American posters are amused about how they are occasionally portrayed

I supect thats mainly because you cant think of anything intelligent to say?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:20 pm

Racist jokes are popular everywhere you go GG. In fact some of the most racist countries in world (acc to independent research) are those in the Middle East, South Asia and Africa.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm

You can't make a racist joke in relation to the Irish, they aren't a race.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

pedro wrote:Racist jokes are popular everywhere you go GG. In fact some of the most racist countries in world (acc to independent research) are those in the Middle East, South Asia and Africa.

You are probably right, however, the level of racism and variety of what is deemed acceptable or not I suspect varies significantly.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:I'm not bothered getting involved, but I don't agree with GunsGerms. And I get the impression some of our American posters are amused about how they are occasionally portrayed

Now I'm offended!  Laugh 

You obviously missed that it was a play on exactly what Incontinentia had said just a few posts earlier. Try and keep up Guns  Wink

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:29 pm

super_realist wrote:You can't make a racist joke in relation to the Irish, they aren't a race.

What is your point? Is prejudice more acceptable against a country vs against a race? Other that a fairly pointless semantic observation what are you trying to say here?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:30 pm

What prejudice?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:34 pm

super_realist wrote:What prejudice?

You didnt answer my question. Anyway it might as well be a rethorical question because I know the answer. You dont have a point.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Says the numpty who's resorted to childsplay in terms of plain old insults, bless his simple little mind.

The irony about my apparently clown like post Guns, and the reason i asked what was dumb about it, was i was parodying you.
I'd made an effort and a massive stretch to find a reason to be insulted and asked for action to be taken. I'd have thought my addition of "A ridiculous stance to take huh? Quite................" would have given you a clue hey but i guess it wasn't in words of one syllable.
In summary, if i was parodying you and you think what i said what dumb, go away and think about that little man..............
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:What prejudice?

You didnt answer my question. Anyway it might as well be a rethorical question because I know the answer. You dont have a point.

I don't really care, because I haven't said anything in relation to Ireland that was prejudicial, racist or xenophobic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm

Wow you sound really frustrated?

Come on surely you re-read your post and realised how daft it is?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:40 pm

It's funny actually because you seem the one with your knickers in a twist to me. Fancy a poll?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

Have you not noticed you are in a minority of 1 Guns? No one is agreeing with you. Chances are it's a good sign of your catastrophic over-reaction and over-sensitivity.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:46 pm

super_realist wrote:Have you not noticed you are in a minority of 1 Guns? No one is agreeing with you. Chances are it's a good sign of your catastrophic over-reaction and over-sensitivity.
I just said I agree with him, although I'm not bothered arguing the point as it has been done 10 times before.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:47 pm

Doubles his ranks......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:47 pm

GG, you spend a lot of time trying to point out differences btw Irish and Brits (culture, humour, norms etc.) -- and no doubt that different countries / nations / cultures / races etc. have certain traits or even a certain rep (deservedly or not) -- yet you seem to have a hard time if somebody (other than you) is stereotyping / joking about it. I don't get it.

Only those with a massive inferiority complex tend to get offended by such things.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:49 pm

pedro wrote:GG, you spend a lot of time trying to point out differences btw Irish and Brits (culture, humour, norms etc.) -- and no doubt that different countries / nations / cultures / races etc. have certain traits or even a certain rep (deservedly or not) -- yet you seem to have a hard time if somebody (other than you) is stereotyping / joking about it. I don't get it.

Only those with a massive inferiority complex tend to get offended by such things.

Or those with something wrong with them get offended by something on a golf forum.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:51 pm

I said this in the other thread but if you join any kind of forum and are surprised that others have different opinions, characters, sense of humour etc to you and get offended by that, you need to have a look at yourself
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:00 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I said this in the other thread but if you join any kind of forum and are surprised that others have different opinions, characters, sense of humour etc to you and get offended by that, you need to have a look at yourself
you think it's ok that we are characterised as being spud eaters, thick, religiously indoctrinated and having a look whereby our eyes are very close together? You think it's unreasonable that we're offended by that?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:06 pm

Actually genuinely offended rather than thinking 'that's an attempt at a joke I don't find funny' ?
It's reasonable I suppose, most things can be reasoned, but I do think it's a bit sad. And I don't mean sad in the cool new way of using the word, I mean actually sad if someone feels that way. They must have nothing else going on or not enough self confidence to banter back or move on
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

pedro wrote:GG, you spend a lot of time trying to point out differences btw Irish and Brits (culture, humour, norms etc.) -- and no doubt that different countries / nations / cultures / races etc. have certain traits or even a certain rep (deservedly or not) -- yet you seem to have a hard time if somebody (other than you) is stereotyping / joking about it. I don't get it.

Not really, mainly just trying to understand in a fairly honest discussion why anyone would find some of the common themes and humour on here funny.

Honestly based on some of the comments on the golf forum I dont feel inferior at all.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

And Dixies play banjo and marry their cousins. And the French are arrogant. And Italian women have moustache. And Americans are ignorant fat gun slingers. And the English have a stiff upper lip (unless they're constantly drunk in some holiday resort). Etc etc. Now wipe your eyes and tee it up again.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:13 pm

And I married an Essex girl!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:16 pm

incontinentia wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:I said this in the other thread but if you join any kind of forum and are surprised that others have different opinions, characters, sense of humour etc to you and get offended by that, you need to have a look at yourself
you think it's ok that we are characterised as being spud eaters, thick, religiously indoctrinated and having a look whereby our eyes are very close together? You think it's unreasonable that we're offended by that?

Some people are too ignorant to understand the difference between bigotry and humour. That is a fact.

However, I actually dont think SR is ignorant or stupid I'm convinced he is just a bigot and a xenophobe but too cowardly to admit it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Actually genuinely offended rather than thinking 'that's an attempt at a joke I don't find funny' ?
It's reasonable I suppose, most things can be reasoned, but I do think it's a bit sad. And I don't mean sad in the cool new way of using the word, I mean actually sad if someone feels that way. They must have nothing else going on or not enough self confidence to banter back or move on
If it is a joke thats fine, but some of these comments aren't in jest. And the ones that are jokes are repeated so often that it seems the instigator believes the jokes to be true.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:And I married an Essex girl!

I married a scouser, beat that!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:24 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Some people are too ignorant to understand the difference between bigotry and humour. That is a fact.

BINGO! You nailed it!!  Yahoo 

Oh wait .. you didn't recognize yourself in that category though did you.... Doh 

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:25 pm

I'm neither bigoted nor a xenophobe, and as you don't seem to understand the meaning of either or the difference between them then I don't care what you think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:27 pm

incontinentia wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:Actually genuinely offended rather than thinking 'that's an attempt at a joke I don't find funny' ?
If it is a joke thats fine, but some of these comments aren't in jest. And the ones that are jokes are repeated so often that it seems the instigator believes the jokes to be true.

Of course every one of them is in jest Inco.
Come on. You're not seriously telling me you think Super is Hitler the Second and is single handedly persecuting the Irish and the religious and the fat etc??!
He has his opinions as we all do and isn't afraid to make a joke or a bit of banter about it.
No one hates you my friend  Hug
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:28 pm

Can't wait till I meet a fat, ginger, religious irishman with his eyes too close together searching for elusive starchy balls of carbohydrate.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:31 pm

incontinentia wrote:
. And the ones that are jokes are repeated so often that it seems the instigator believes the jokes to be true.
And so what if he does? Trying to save him from himself?

It's like Cicero or amen in Church: you know what's coming. And take it as that.

Last edited by pedro on Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:31 pm

I have skimmed this thread as it is too long to read all the posts and properly catch up on all the points being made. But here are my thoughts.

Regardless of whether super is being racist/xenophobic/discriminatory.....whatever, his stock response to any thread involving the irish, Tiger or Shane Lowrey is becoming very tiresome. The jokes are old and were never particularly interesting or funny. So Super, can you please try and use some new material next time these subjects arise?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:32 pm

super_realist wrote:I'm neither bigoted nor a xenophobe, and as you don't seem to understand the meaning of either or the difference between them then I don't care what you think.
No offence Very Happy  but you are by definition a bigot super. intolerant of many diffenrent categories of people.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:36 pm

Making jokes doesn't make you a bigot or intolerant.

Taking offence, does however make you a ninny.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:45 pm

So your disgust of fat people is all a big joke?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:48 pm

No, they are disgusting in my opinion. Doesn't make me intolerant of them. Just means I think there's no need for anyone to be fat.

I love it how if you have an opinion different to someone else then it automatically means you are either a bigot or intolerant, which is ironically bigoted and intolerant.

It just means you have a different opinion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm

Here's how I view sr's comments on various topics:

-The Irish: joking
-Tiger Woods: a bit obsessive, but it's fair enough not to like certain individuals
-The fat and the religious: I think he reasons well for not having respect for people falling under these categories.

Under all circumstances few comments made are particularly diplomatic. But this being an internet forum it would be too boring if everybody had back padding politically correct views and didn't dare to deviate from consensus.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm

Amazing what happens when there's no golf on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

Any expectations for Firestone?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

super_realist wrote:No, they are disgusting in my opinion. Doesn't make me intolerant of them. Just means I think there's no need for anyone to be fat.
that doesnt make sense to me. Our opinions of people dictate our intolerances.

If someone has the opinion that a certain race is inferior, doesn't that automatically mean they are a racist?

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:17 pm

You are in control of your weight and religion, not your race, gender and sexuality.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:21 pm

That's not the point pedro. If you have the opinion that a certain group of people are inferior to yourself (regardless of whether they can control it or not) doesn't that by definition make you a bigot?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:22 pm

No, in terms of not being fat i'm superior to a fat person. It's a factual statement.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum