The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

+33
trebellbobaggins
Hoggy_Bear
Hibbz
killer938
Ozzy3213
JDizzle
Gregers
Scrumpy
invisiblecoolers
LivinginItaly
Mat
dummy_half
Nakatomi Plaza
Dorothy_Mantooth
liverbnz
GSC
Stella
CaledonianCraig
Pal Joey
alfie
jimbohammers
Mad for Chelsea
Mike Selig
kingraf
mystiroakey
Gerry SA
DP
Duty281
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
ChequeredJersey
KP_fan
msp83
37 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl Empty England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

Lets get in the thread early enough.
India 1-0 up and now is the time to keep up the leel of intensity.
For England a few careers might depend on a quick turnaround in fortune here.
The pitch is reported to have some green on it and is expected to be in between the ugly pathetic track for the Trent Bridge and a lively track for the 2nd test at the HQ.
Not many reports on the England xi, but there are indications that Stuart Binny will be out for India, and by reports coming in now, its Rohit Sharma who might come in.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl Empty Re: England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:50 pm

Offspinner Rohit should add some much needed depth to India's bowling!!. He can even bat a bit on flat tracks!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl Empty Re: England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:53 pm

Hopefully they'll play Ravichandran Ashwin as the all-rounder, bring him in at 6 with the skipper going down to a more conventional 7 and Ravindra Jadeja at 8.
If Mohammed Shami is not 100 percent, then they should consider either Pankaj Singh or Varun Aaron. If the reports of a hard track with some good carry expected, Aaron may not be a bad option. Bhuvneshwar Kumar has been a handful so far for the England batsmen, Pankaj also can swing the ball though not at the levels of PK and BK, and can do a job with the older ball as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:56 pm

Jos Buttler is an obvious newcomer for England, but it remains to be seen whether they will have a look at the positions of Stuart Broad who hasn't looked fully fit, or Ben Stokes one half of whose game seems to have collapsed for now. Both Chris Woakes and Chris Jordan offer something with bat and ball like Broad and Stokes does. Broad is too important a player for England to be bowled into the ground in a half-fit stage and Stokes has at times looked their best seamer. So I would say rest Broad and bring in Jordan.

Last edited by msp83 on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 25 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm

ashwin is an open and shut case.

eng will be without their best WK Very Happy  Very Happy 

and it seems Broad might not play....he always worries me....capable of slaughtering mediocre bowling like ours and turning the game with the bat anytime. He actually did that in TB.

and can trigger a collapse with the ball also anytime.
Temperamentally solid.
Improves our chances if he doesn't play.
then whether its stokes, woakes, Jordan it doesn't matter they are all a cut below.
If anderson was also banned for this game if hearing had taken as originally scehduled on 24th....it would have been one heck of a free ride for our batters

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:19 pm

If Broad isn't fit enough, then its a setback for England. But said that, he was nowhere near his top game for the summer. The pace has been down and he has been struggling with line and length. He didn't bring much to the table that Jordan or Woakes can't do. Woakes is a very good batsman as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:59 pm

Young Jos Buttler says while adapting to the demands of test cricket, he wouldn't give up on his natural game. Very good to hear that.......
Be careful young lad, about the names you take while talking to the press though!.
The powers that be expressed the public feeling that you are not ready, don't give more reasons.......
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/current/story/764055.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 25 Jul 2014, 7:34 pm

msp83 wrote:If Broad isn't fit enough, then its a setback for England. But said that, he was nowhere near his top game for the summer. The pace has been down and he has been struggling with line and length. He didn't bring much to the table that Jordan or Woakes can't do. Woakes is a very good batsman as well.

Broad has several times in the past played a series or so of dross then gone super saiyan and when it clicks every ball seems to be a potential wicket taker
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 8:11 pm

The problem with Broad is more about fitness. Already he and Anderson are bowling a far too much, and Broad was not fit at the start of the summer, and in the Sri Lanka series and in the present one, he didn't look 100 % in terms of fitness. More than his ability, its the fitness that is the matter of question.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:41 am

Broad seems to have not shaken off this knee issue in my eyes, which is what is effecting his pace. 

He could do with a test off but then we do have a long time before we play anymore post this series, so maybe they hope to get him through and give him a prolonged rest (is he going to play the ODI stuff?)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

If his knee isn't 100% then there's no point forcing him through the rest of the series Olly as it could result in a long term, serious injury. Plenty of guys who could come in and do a job, Jordan and Woakes are front runners at present.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

Pretty confident of England's chances for this Test.

I reckon Cook or Bell will make a large score, and that the England bowlers will finally be clinical!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Jul 2014, 2:19 pm

Duty281 wrote:Pretty confident of England's chances for this Test.

I reckon Cook or Bell will make a large score, and that the England bowlers will finally be clinical!
Wish I could share such optimism Duty!

Hampshire's groundsman has said he expects to pitch to be spinning a lot by day five. Gotta have a bat first I reckon, don't wanna be batting last against Jadeja/Ashwin (who should come in for Binny)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Sat 26 Jul 2014, 2:19 pm

Olly wrote:Broad seems to have not shaken off this knee issue in my eyes, which is what is effecting his pace. 

He could do with a test off but then we do have a long time before we play anymore post this series, so maybe they hope to get him through and give him a prolonged rest (is he going to play the ODI stuff?)

Can't really 'shake off' tendonitis, pal.

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Pretty confident of England's chances for this Test.

Wish I could share such optimism Duty!

Hampshire's groundsman has said he expects to pitch to be spinning a lot by day five. Gotta have a bat first I reckon, don't wanna be batting last against Jadeja/Ashwin (who should come in for Binny)

We'll be fine lad!

The second Test defeat is the short sharp shock that England need to jolt them back into the better times.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:04 pm

If the pitch is likely to spin at some point, then R Ashwin should play as he's India's best bet in such conditions. He can't be relied upon to keep an end locked up, but if there is turn and bounce available, then he could be a real handful. And he can of course bat.
Will be very disappointed if India opt for the defensive and worthless option of Rohit Sharma and I will be absolutely appalled if at all his bowling comes into the reasoning for picking him. He might just be able to produce an innings of quality and if that happens, then it will be great to watch. But his bowling should have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his selection or non-selection it just isn't worth it!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:54 pm

So folks what do we reckon the starting xi will be? Obviously Buttler for Prior, but any other changes? I've got an inkling we might see Woakes play this one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:57 pm

Woakes for Broad would be the other change I'd make, he's clearly not fit and there is no point in playing him if he isn't 100%.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:58 pm

Certainly admire your optimism Duty!

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Jul 2014, 10:57 pm

"@fwildecricket: Telegraph Sport are reporting that Liam Plunkett and Ben Stokes could be dropped for Chris Jordan and Chris Woakes tomorrow. #EngvInd"
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 27 Jul 2014, 8:55 am

assuming Ind play ashwin, he can be best used if they bowl 4th.
So Ind must bat first if they win the toss even if pitch appears Green.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 8:56 am

Thuggery on the cricket field need greater controlling, observes Tony Cozier. He is very correct.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/764429.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 8:58 am

KPF, but indications are that it'll be the stylish no hoper and not Ashwin who will be playing......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:10 am

well might be Rohit. Dhoni handed him a debut getting him in the side ahead of Rahane....on the argument that he could bowl off-spin.

btw I met and talked to Rohit in the nets on D4 at Lords nursery pavilion.

he was with our assistant coach whose name i dont know and Pankaj+ aaron were bowling full steam to him.
i wished him good luck that his chances of playing were higher that Binny had just gotten out for a blob.
He was pleased and told me he had a new stance to counter english conditions.
The asst coach didn't like the glee surrounding Binny's failure and expressed his disapproval.

I would prefer Ashwin though
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:24 am

KP_fan wrote:well might be Rohit. Dhoni handed him a debut getting him in the side ahead of Rahane....on the argument that he could bowl off-spin.

btw I met and talked to Rohit in the nets on D4 at Lords nursery pavilion.

he was with our assistant coach whose name i dont know and Pankaj+ aaron were bowling full steam to him.
i wished him good luck that his chances of playing were higher that Binny had just gotten out for a blob.
He was pleased and told me he had a new stance to counter english conditions.
The asst coach didn't like the glee surrounding Binny's failure and expressed his disapproval.

I would prefer Ashwin though
I too prefer Ashwin.
Rohit never came across as a likable chap in my book.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:19 am

Ian Botham on the drink this morning... Claims Buttler can match Gilchrist. Behave. Gilly one of the all time greats.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:28 am

Ishant Sharma out for India.

Pankaj Singh debuts.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:30 am

I think the draw is heavy favs- Bad weather probably. Shame.

Toss on its way..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:31 am

England win the toss . Bat first.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:31 am

Cook wins the toss and bats.

Jordan and Woakes in. Plunkett and stokes out.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:34 am

Can't complain too much about the changes, especially if Plunkett struggling with a niggle.

Good to bat first, always should be the way

Dhoni justifies Rohit selection on basis he can bowl a bit of off spin. Msp and kpf I'd imagine you're fairly annoyed?!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:38 am

Shame Ishant has to get injured just after one of his best performances in international cricket. Maintaining an overall decent fitness record has been one of his consistent strongpoints, bad time to get injured for Sharma who was at last stringing together a few decent performances in test cricket more consistently.
But it gives Pankaj Singh an opportunity. Pankaj has considerable experience in Indian domestic cricket and has taken wickets a plenty on tracks that ives nothing much to the seamers. But it will be a different challenge at the top, hopefully he'll be up for the challenge.
And yes, Rohit Sharma comes in for Stuart Binny. Hopefully Rohit can actually score some runs, no problem even if he does it in a rather ugly looking way, would any day take that over a graceful nick to the slips.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:40 am

Olly wrote:Can't complain too much about the changes, especially if Plunkett struggling with a niggle.

Good to bat first, always should be the way

Dhoni justifies Rohit selection on basis he can bowl a bit of off spin. Msp and kpf I'd imagine you're fairly annoyed?!
Downright furious!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

Without Ishant, Mohammed Shami has to lead the bowling unit particularly in the middle overs. Bhuvi has proved he's a force with the new ball and Pankaj too is capable of swinging the ball a bit. But Shami has to get his pace up than what he managed in the first 2 games and keep the batsmen quiet and also produce the middle over wickets. Jadeja can't be expected to do not more than a holding job in these conditions particularly on day one.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:52 am

Pankaj Singh is just about 29, not the usual age in which India pick their seamers. But he's a veteran of 77 first class games in which he has taken 300 test wickets.
Go Pankaj go!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:59 am

300 wickets in 77 first class games on pitches Jadeja scores triple hundreds in is good going for sure. Why wasn't he picked earlier?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:01 am

Rod tucker and Marais Erasmus umpiring.

Good lord help us
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:04 am

Olly wrote:Rod tucker and Marais Erasmus umpiring.

Good lord help us
Tony Hill would have completed the set!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

Cook looking positive out there. Might have had a look at KP's recent Column!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:17 am

I quite like Rod Tucker. Erasmus can be a bit erratic, but there you go.

Amazing that India have picked Rohit cos he can bowl some off-spin. Presumably Ashwin's bowling has gone even further downhill. I wonder if there's a bit of negativity in there? Stack the batting and hope to hold on.

Don't know anything about Pankaj so we'll see.

A bit disappointed that Stokes who I think has bowled as well as anybody for England has been dropped. Interested in how Woakes goes, I do think at times England have lacked that holding bowler so let's see.

Talk is the pitch will turn later on. Not sure either side has picked the team to take advantage of that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:29 am

Wow 300 wickets at 25 in FC cricket for Pankaj, surprised he hasn't been picked before!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:46 am

Cook dropped by Jadeja at third slip. Pretty regulation chance that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:48 am

Cook the aggressor and he gets some luck- decent signs..

Anyway. Good decision to bat- There is movement but not sure in the Indians pace can do enough with it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:56 am

Sky commentary team seem convinced Robson needs some runs and is out of nick?!

He's scored a hundred, a fifty and is averaging nearly fourty in his first eight test innings!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

Cook has the drop of luck that he required, and after the first hour his decision to bat seems to be right again.

All of England is willing him on.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm

Cook has been out of nick and getting out to pretty much every mistake he's been making this summer. Will that bit of luck with the drop change his fortunes around?

good over-rate by India in the first hour Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm

Sam Robson fails again.

Out for 26 off the bowling off Shami. Jadeja decided to take the catch this time.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:44 pm

Robson, no way near good enough

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm

Olly wrote:Sky commentary team seem convinced Robson needs some runs and is out of nick?!

He's scored a hundred, a fifty and is averaging nearly fourty in his first eight test innings!!!

Wouldn't say he's out of nick : just seems to be developing a habit of apparently getting in and then not going on with it.
Since he doesn't dominate the bowling , his value to the team would seem to lie in playing long innings. So the twenties don't quite cut it. And he has played on a couple of roads.
Having said that , it is hardly a poor start to a Test career.  Imagine he will play all summer unless the selectors panic , as some fans seem to advocate  Smile  ; and we will have had a decent sample of seven Tests on which to make a more considered judgement.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Jul 2014, 1:01 pm

Go Cooky!

Our Capo is back baby!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next