The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

+33
trebellbobaggins
Hoggy_Bear
Hibbz
killer938
Ozzy3213
JDizzle
Gregers
Scrumpy
invisiblecoolers
LivinginItaly
Mat
dummy_half
Nakatomi Plaza
Dorothy_Mantooth
liverbnz
GSC
Stella
CaledonianCraig
Pal Joey
alfie
jimbohammers
Mad for Chelsea
Mike Selig
kingraf
mystiroakey
Gerry SA
DP
Duty281
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
ChequeredJersey
KP_fan
msp83
37 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl - Page 6 Empty England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

Post by msp83 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lets get in the thread early enough.
India 1-0 up and now is the time to keep up the leel of intensity.
For England a few careers might depend on a quick turnaround in fortune here.
The pitch is reported to have some green on it and is expected to be in between the ugly pathetic track for the Trent Bridge and a lively track for the 2nd test at the HQ.
Not many reports on the England xi, but there are indications that Stuart Binny will be out for India, and by reports coming in now, its Rohit Sharma who might come in.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl - Page 6 Empty Re: England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:13 am

Stella wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I hope Moeen Ali gets banned for a test or two. Disgraceful stuff.

Now how's today going to go? I had a dream that India were 89/4 at lunch, so I'll hope for that!

Why disgraceful?

We probably wouldn't be allowed to go into that here, otherwise I would answer.

Sorry.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl - Page 6 Empty Re: England v India 3rd Test, Ageas Bowl

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:18 am

Duty281 wrote:
Stella wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I hope Moeen Ali gets banned for a test or two. Disgraceful stuff.

Now how's today going to go? I had a dream that India were 89/4 at lunch, so I'll hope for that!

Why disgraceful?

We probably wouldn't be allowed to go into that here, otherwise I would answer.

Sorry.

Aah, the bait was there  Very Happy 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:29 am

Can't see anything disgraceful there, and for a change even the ECB has acted with sensibility and sensitivity in the matter.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:35 am

Is he going to be wearing the armband for the rest of the Test?

If so, I'll engage in some of my own protesting and completely ignore the rest of this game.

Very, very wrong for the ECB to support Ali over this. A sporting field is no place to make statements on ongoing conflicts.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

Yes, he'll be wearing it the whole test, and so he should. Free Gaza, whatever your opinion, is a humanitarian matter, and asking player's to ignore it is stupidity. The sports world isn't a vacuum. David Haye fights with a Turkish Cypriot flag on his shorts. How is this different?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

So, the cricket then...To coin a golf phrase 'moving day' I think. Whatever happens today will go along way to deciding the outcome of the Test match and quite possibly the series.

England need to bowl India out in reasonabley quick time - probably before the end of today (or early tomorrow at the latest). Bat a bit - 30/40 overs and then unleash the bowlers again. Lets hope Broad bowls as he can (why is there always questions over his fitness? Can he not be rested if injured?) and the 2 bowling changes prove to be the right ones.

Interesting to see how Ali gets on here today. There is spin and bounce here which he needs to takle advantage of. Being Yorkshire-bias I'm fairly sure Adil Rashid would love to bowl at the Indians on this deck, this is the sort he loves. But we'll see.

India will just have to bat and bat, and bat. Simple?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

kingraf wrote:Yes, he'll be wearing it the whole test, and so he should. Free Gaza, whatever your opinion, is a humanitarian matter, and asking player's to ignore it is stupidity. The sports world isn't a vacuum. David Haye fights with a Turkish Cypriot flag on his shorts. How is this different?

I've heard he won't be?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:26 am

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/28/moeen-ali-england-wristbands-save-gaza-free-palestine
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

kingraf wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/28/moeen-ali-england-wristbands-save-gaza-free-palestine

England are happy. That doesn't mean he'll be allowed to wear it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:30 am

He wont wear it for the rest of the test- the England team have backed him  but will say any punishment isn't up to them so dont put your place under risk and take it off.

Just the fact it has been pulled up on will give it more publicity anyway- SO he has made his point. If no one spoke of it- his message wouldn't have got out there

edit- ok maybe not seeing the above link. Maybe he will continue wearing it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:33 am

ICC have to put a case forwArd and and and... they can't stop him from wearing it until it's been heard. I hope he wears it as well. It's about time some serious attention is being put on that area. It's ridiculous that we're just watching.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:37 am

I don't exactly think that supporting terrorists is a good idea.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

I am shocked and disappointed by the views of some on here.

To those saying Ali should be fined/banned, I repeat: should Flower and Olonga have been banned for their black armband stand? If not, what is the difference, apart from the fact that you personally agreed with one stand but not the other? In what way are Ali's wristbands offensive? Would you also ban somebody wearing a wristband with say "Israel has a right to defend itself"?

All these questions are independent of what you make of the actual mess in Gaza - they are points of principle, so there is no reason to dodge the questions.

I appreciate that had he worn wristbands saying "Hitler should have finished the job" that is one thing. "Save Gaza" and "Free Palestine" cannot in my view possibly be construed as anti-semitic.

As for KPF's feelings that Ali is more in the wrong because his views disagree with the position of the country (debateable) or the popular view of the people (probably wrong, I would say there is the usual split along polarised lines here) coming from someone who has until now been supportive of anybody speaking against the establishment, I find the statement astoundingly hypocritical. On the point of principle I find it plain wrong - making a public stand is surely only useful and effective IF it disagrees with the point of view of the establishment.

For once I have no desire to return to the cricket. Some matters are more important.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

[quote="Duty281"]I don't exactly think that supporting terrorists is a good idea.[/quote

Hamas aren't te only people in Gaza. Regardless of whether he's right to wear it, it's not in anyway indicative of supporting Hamas.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:49 am

I am happy to go back to the Cricket tbh.

I think countries like the USA and us(as a sheep to them) are highly hypocritical by going to places like Afghanistan and Iraq, and arming syrian rebels but not doing anything in gaza or Ukraine.(in gaza its more messy as there seem to be no clear right or wrong- so we would only be pushing piece in an ideal world and trying to help them find a resolution).

I think we need to help peace everywhere or back out everywhere.

back to the cricket.

Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

Maybe he could wear them inside out; thereby still carrying the message on person still?

(by now the whole world will know what it says - therefore subliminally reinforcing his message)

Would be weird however - if the other side said "and Free Paul Gascoigne too!"  

In all seriousness though, I believe it was a brave and perhaps even necessary statement for him to make by bringing the situation to the attention of himself and many others who are now even more aware of it. He has succeeded in that regard.

Whether a Test match is the right place to express himself (and others) is another thing... but I certainly cannot say I'm offended or anything.
Just where do we draw the line though? Maybe dedicate each big match to a particular cause or recent event? Too much overkill? (excuse the pun)

I'm not so sure about that particular way of doing things but I don't mind if they have a few minutes silence or even prayer if there is some major tragic or pertinent event which affects the host nation or even a majority of the spectators assembled either directly or indirectly (e.g. disaster or loss of a cricketing Hall of Famer, etc) Those sort of gestures tend to bring people together and enable us to sit back (after the ceremony is over) and get set for the subsequent action on the field.

However, one mustn't also lose sight of the bigger picture of that conflict - and all other wars currently going on for that matter.
We could end up with lots of perfectly viable messages on a regular basis.

The message should be the same and all-encompassing every time if possible so that there is always space to accommodate all kinds of conflicts.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:05 am

I don't think we should discuss the situation in Gaza because political discussion on these boards is frowned upon/banned and I don't want to see this thread locked. I believe we could discuss the principle of the gesture without talking about the contents, but maybe not, and we're better off reverting to the cricket.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:09 am

Mike Selig wrote:I don't think we should discuss the situation in Gaza because political discussion on these boards is frowned upon/banned and I don't want to see this thread locked. I believe we could discuss the principle of the gesture without talking about the contents, but maybe not, and we're better off reverting to the cricket.

Yeah Mike. That is all I wanted to say.

Time to switch over from the CG swimming and watch England serve up some spice to their Indian counterparts!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-test-star-moeen-ali-banned-from-wearing-free-gaza-wristbands-by-icc-9634663.html

Well done to the match referee. clap

Making contentious political statements like that has no place on a cricket field. That is the difference between Ali and what Flower and Olonga did; the former was political, the latter was drawing attention to horrific human rights abuses.

If Ali was making a humanitarian statement, it would have been something along the lines of "stop the bloodshed" or "peace in the Middle East".

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

That was close but good decision!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

we're discussing whether or not calling for a free Gaza is correct, not whether or not Hamas is a terrorist organisation. The fact that the Palestine might be run by an illegitimate regime doesn't make a bloodbath anymore acceptable.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:28 am

Probably not what Ali intended, but "Free Palestine" is a Political statement and as such I agree with the ICC that Political statements have no place on a Cricket Field.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

I dont think Ali is stupid enough to wear something like that but doesn't understand it- That is insulting the lads intellgence- But I agree on principle.

Just dont allow any of it(being right or wrong is immaterial) then there is no confusion.

Wasn't England's Poppy football shirt banned by FIFA?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:45 am

Massive, massive wickets, Pujara it is, India in early trouble on day 3.
Who all will play those big innings?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

Broad gets the break...easy catch for Buttler off Pujara's gloves.

Needed that. Not going to be easy on this rather warm day. Though I quite like the way England have bowled so far this morning.
Important Cook doesn't overbowl Jimmy early on - will need him later. Tempting when he beats the edge like last over ...

Pujara is a good scalp - looked OK today ; although Vijay seems to be the latest Wall.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:48 am

Massive wicket for England!

Dare I say that Cook's captaincy - withholding Broad for the first half-hour, and letting him simmer in the outfield, before unleashing him in a fired-up state - had a part to play?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:49 am

Great Wicket!! 

Keep the pressure on.

ANderson is making the ball move!! There is a lot of swing and pace here. Ishant is a huge miss this test for India

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

Good ball from Broad to get a crucial breakthrough.

Pressure on Kohli who has yet to really make an impact on this series.

Decent captaincy from Cook with his bowling changes so far. Started with Woakes looking for a bit of swing but switched to Broad after only 3 overs as not much happening for Woakes.

Anderson about a foot too short so far I would say.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

Its a great work out for Buttler...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:57 am

Virat Kohli has been attracting some very good balls and has been runless in the series so far. His confidence would be down because of that, but India need their prime batsman to get going in the series here.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:58 am

Jordan's radar not switched on yet then ?

Hope he gets it right quickly and keeps the pressure on.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:59 am

Impressed by Woakes so far, has added pace and looks a threat when it's nipping about.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

MSP quick question:

Would will replace Dhawan in Old Trafford?

Could Pujara open and Ashwin come in as the all rounder?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

msp83 wrote:Virat Kohli has been attracting some very good balls and has been runless in the series so far. His confidence would be down because of that, but India need their prime batsman to get going in the series here.

He has had a rotten run so far , hasn't he ? Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big one here though ; too good a player to keep failing.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

Chris Woakes looks to have improved since his Test debut, but his problem is when he swings the ball it's from the hand. So the batsmen can line him up. 

What the hell's happemed to Chris Jordan? Seems to have lost all confidence.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

With the Pujara wicket, the first hour belongs to England.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm

Duty281 wrote:I don't exactly think that supporting terrorists is a good idea.

I agree with you here.

Gaza is a breeding ground for terrorism and terrorist organizations like Hamas given official patronage there.

If political opinions are allowed to be mixed with sports.....then I also do have an opinion......as above.

and since ECB backs expression of opinions......so nobody has problems...life is good.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

Its nothing to do with the ECB.  This is an international game and its governed by the ICC.

Also this forum hates politics.. Best never to get involved..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm

So let's just kill a thousand because it's a breeding ground, yeah?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm

Gerry SA wrote:MSP quick question:

Would will replace Dhawan in Old Trafford?

Could Pujara open and Ashwin come in as the all rounder?
Think it will be determined by the result of the game and also Shikhar's performance in the one innings he's left with to save his place. But if the call has to be made on Dhawan, I feel it'll be Gambhir coming in.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:16 pm

kingraf wrote:So let's just kill a thousand because it's a breeding ground, yeah?  

Israel are trying to terrorise Palestine.
Palestine are trying to terrorise Israel.
Both are killing, and trying to kill, innocent civilians.

Supporting either regime is barbaric.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm

Get in.. 3rd wicket down

Good fast bowling.. Broad stepping up.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm

I did say four down at lunch! Not too far away from that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:20 pm

You suspect England would've taken removing Pujara and Vijay before lunch
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:21 pm

Broad in the middle of a very good spell here, one nips in, the next nips away and that creates enough doubt in Vijay's mind who then plays on trying to leave one too late. Nice bowling from Broad, deserved that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:21 pm

Broad on a roll ...Vijay has been very hard to shift so that is a big wicket.

One more before lunch and England would be delighted with the session.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

kingraf wrote:So let's just kill a thousand because it's a breeding ground, yeah?  

collateral damage...the term was coined to describe this situation
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm

Rahane is the danger man..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:29 pm

Ind needs a partnership now......India is in a hole now and moving no-where
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm

Come jordan- Line and length. thats all

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next