The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'

+16
McLaren
ralphjohn69
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
sirbenson
beninho
kwinigolfer
hend085
pedro
Diggers
navyblueshorts
gaelgowfer
incontinentia
super_realist
JAS
skyeman
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'  - Page 2 Empty Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'

Post by skyeman Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Good for him. Putting his personal life before his professional life.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Don't understand the point of this post - any primary school student with any writing ability could have written the same.

Imagine the Ryder Cup is the least of his concerns.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dustin Johnson out of Ryder Cup due to 'personal challenges'

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Interesting take on this from Matt Every, who surely should know a thing or two about getting "busted":

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/every-i-don%E2%80%99t-think-we-need-test-out-here/

Difficult to disagree with him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:21 am

It must be easier to deal with these so called personal issues if you are a multi-millionaire golfer compared to other folk whose problems would multiply exponentially if they had to give up their livelihoods for a few months.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:24 am

I feel no sympathy for Johnson, but I feel no sympathy for "normal" people who get caught doing drugs either.
They've got much more to lose than Johnson and have only themselves to blame and should be more responsible.

Johnson could retire now if he wanted and never have to work again. Probably quite tempting.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:04 am

Ive never been to Liverpool. But it may have tipped dustin into a massive drink and drugs bender. Alright dustin lad, fancy some of this. Tracksuited scally drug dealers preying on unsuspecting yankees.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:58 am

In defence of DJ, he probably didn't understand a word they were saying...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:11 am

I wonder if there's a chance that he might have been careless at a border crossing: To England/Canada/US.
Each would have had it's own Customs protocol that he might not have been familiar with?
Strange that he played last Thursday & Friday in Montreal, missed the weekend, got home, presumably, and issued his time-out announcement.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:23 am

Rumour has it he has been shagging other players partners. One rumour is will mckenzies wife. A quick google search gives reason for this. Though has been denied. Not sure who the other player is. Though if he has kmocked the back oyt of 2 then tiger thinks he is nothing but a pussie.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:36 am

ben,
Quite possible, but Willie Mac and his wife separated ages ago, so that would be old news and can't see why it would come up now. Plus DJ is supposed to be marrying Paulina this autumn!
Haven't seen her referred to at all in the latest speculation.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:37 am

beninho wrote:Though if he has kmocked the back oyt of 2 then tiger thinks he is nothing but a pussie.
...automatically making DJ Tiger prey.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:37 am

incontinentia wrote:navy- whenever I read my local newspaper, about 80% of the court cases are alcohol related to varying extents. It is the drug that causes more anti-social behaviour, assaults etc than any other.
Whatever. If you stick the same number of people on cocaine/crack/heroine/drug-of-choice as are on alcohol I think you'll see things a bit differently. I also don't think you (or anyone else) would like the financial implications of making alcohol or tobacco illegal. Anyway, we are where we are. Just because alcohol etc isn't perfect, doesn't mean we should make other drugs legal.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 am

Not at all Navy, none of the drugs you mentions directly causes violence IMO. I've been to stacks of raves with everyone off their heads on e or coke and never saw any trouble. We are talking thousands of people here in stacks of situations.
Ive lost count of the number of times Ive seen alcohol fuelled violence. Pretty much all violence I've witnessed in my life had involved alcohol.
Of course there is violence involved from addicts looking for money, but that includes alcoholics as well. But in my experience the so called A grade drugs to not make people aggressive, quite the opposite on fact.

Last edited by Diggers on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:52 am

Plus I've never got the two rights don't make a wrong argument. The actual argument should be if something isn't correct should be look to debate and change it...or do we just leave everything exactly the same and assume archaic legislation must some how be correct for a rapidly changing society?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:50 am

I mentioned on this forum a few years ago that someone I know sold him something dodgy and no one believed me. I guess it was true after all.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:09 pm

I wouldn't like to see drugs legalised simply because people have been to raves and not seen any trouble.

I also can't stand dicks like Russell Brand, the world's least comedic comedian leading some sort of one man crusade for their legalisation either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Well clearly that's not the whole basis for the argument. But if they aren't legalised it should be for the right reasons, not because of pre conceived incorrect ones, eg that people with no experience of them think they cause a voilent recreation which is just not the case.If everyone took some MDNA every morning that would probably end violence in the world.
Brand is a dick, that much is surely beyond debate.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Drugs are a fact. You can't get rid of them by banning them. Find the best way to live with them. Legalising/normalising is one good way.

Last edited by pedro on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 pm

That Pedro....he speak the truth...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:43 pm

I can see marijuana being legalised for recreational use in a few years. It has already been approved for sale for medicinal purposes in lots of countries.

Pedro, thats an interesting suggestion, but what would society be like if publicans were allowed to sell drugs as well as alcohol? I'd imagine most people would have the sense not to abuse them, but when you look at the amount of people who smoke, knowing the damage it's causing them, if the same portion did hard drugs there would have to be serious social costs. Legislators can't take that chance.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:13 pm

It wouldn't really be taken a chance though, it would be taking steps to resolve a massive existing problem, one of the worlds biggest, the illegal drug trade.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Diggers wrote:Well clearly that's not the whole basis for the argument. But if they aren't legalised it should be for the right reasons, not because of pre conceived incorrect ones, eg that people with no experience of them think they cause a voilent recreation which is just not the case.If everyone took some MDNA every morning that would probably end violence in the world.

Come come now Diggers, you might reduce violence in the world, but I think you'd probably introduce a whole new raft of problems. Not to mention the sheer number of people chewing their faces off. I'm not sure I'd like my airline pilot to be doing that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 pm

We have to distinguish btw marihuana and hard drugs.

Marihuana is sold on every corner by the local street hustler. Most adults (even teens!) have tried it and millions are "regular" party users. Yet it leaves a trail of crime of violence as it's a multi billion business. It's not like legislators will run a huge risk legalising it. Should it create the odd extra pot head or two, so be it, but I doubt it. And of course you'd need a special license to sell it.

Hard drugs should be likeprescribed drugs. The doctor could give it to addicts under controlled circumstances, helping them to get out of it. Junkie-related crimes would be decimated, so would gangster crime. Sure there'll be a black market for the Dustin's, the Justin's (Bieber) and the ravers, but nothing like today.

Common for both is that it's a multi billion industry with gangster crime, distortion, smuggling, murder etc etc, plus all the derived crimes like burglaries, prostitution, pimping, distortion etc. Can't see how it can get much worse than today.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:58 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:Well clearly that's not the whole basis for the argument. But if they aren't legalised it should be for the right reasons, not because of pre conceived incorrect ones, eg that people with no experience of them think they cause a voilent recreation which is just not the case.If everyone took some MDNA every morning that would probably end violence in the world.

Come come now Diggers, you might reduce violence in the world, but I think you'd probably introduce a whole new raft of problems. Not to mention the sheer number of people chewing their faces off. I'm not sure I'd like my airline pilot to be doing that.

Well it wasn't a serious suggestion. However re pilots a friend of mine owned a rep company at Gatwick. He owned a house near Reigate and pilots used to room there for time between flights.
Basically according to him it was rarer for one to leave in the morning sober than not. Huge parties till the early hours followed by early morning flight.
I believe they now breath test pilots which I'm pretty thankful for after hearing that story.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Glorified bus drivers by their own admission Diggers.

Pretty easy life for their money I think, hard to get your CPL, but once you've got a job I doubt you'll get a £/effort position quite like it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:50 pm

The amount of crime around here perpetrated by young people desperate for prescription drugs is mind-boggling.
Clearly these drugs, painkillers and the like, can't be provided for general use, say beside Smarties in your local confectioner.
Start to legalise drugs, and marijuana is certainly on the way, and where do you draw the line?

Be careful what you wish for.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Start by legalising marijuana.

And if kids are addicted to prescription drugs, they should see their doctor. He shoukd then be able to give it to them under controlled circumstances, helping them to get out of their habit.

Re pilots: knew a BA pilot once. He said they often went on the p!ss on layovers and were often hungover in the morning. It's some years ago and it has probably changed, but still..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 pm

pedro,
The amount of intervention here is extraordinary, not to mention the cost.
And: Remember, it's not as easy to "see their doctor" here as it is there; they'd probably commit crime to be able to afford the doctor's visit.
A whole other can of worms of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Clearly what's done now doesn't work. With the amount of money in this business the problem won't go away anytime soon unless something radical is done.

While writing this x Mexicans have probably been killed (with American weapons) in gang wars trying to supply the US market.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 pm

And the wealthy American users never get done, even when they flaunt drug use.
Metaphor for life really.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:17 pm

If everyone took MDMA every morning there'd be some dead people and a lot of psychos in the future. Alcohol causes problems but if you think someone wired on coke or crack etc can't be violent, I think you took too much of something during one of those raves you mention.

pedro wrote:Drugs are a fact. You can't get rid of them by banning them. Find the best way to live with them. Legalising/normalising is one good way.
That's fine. As I said, develop reliable tests in kit form and then let employers, the police etc test as they see fit. High driving or at work? Good riddance.

incontinentia wrote:I can see marijuana being legalised for recreational use in a few years. It has already been approved for sale for medicinal purposes in lots of countries.
Ah yes. I'm waiting the inevitable court cases in the future. Legalising something dodgy before the definitive decision on safety is monumentally dumb.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:05 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
incontinentia wrote:I can see marijuana being legalised for recreational use in a few years. It has already been approved for sale for medicinal purposes in lots of countries.
Ah yes. I'm waiting the inevitable court cases in the future. Legalising something dodgy before the definitive decision on safety is monumentally dumb.

I'm not sure it's job of government to outlaw everything that's potentially dangerous or bad for your health - in some cases it's role is to regulate, inform and let people make their own choices as it does with tobacco and alcohol.

Medicinal use of marijuana has side effects, but that's the case for all prescription drugs and it's generally a matter of the medical benefits outweighing the downside.

That said, you're probably right - the Americans love a good court case.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:08 am

Legalising drugs could just be a losers charter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:30 am

Cars would never have been allowed today. They're way too dangerous. Nor would cigarettes.

You can't really protect people against temselves. Drugs are a fact. In stead of handing the trade to gangsters, why not make the goverment the pusher, at least for marijuana?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:40 am

I think if they were to make it legal then you really are going to need a fairly pricey licence to have be a user to put off people wanting to be users.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:20 am

If you want to be a user (marijuana) you already are.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2