The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy 33rd B'day, Roger!

+4
lags72
kingraf
bogbrush
laverfan
8 posters

Go down

Happy 33rd B'day, Roger! Empty Happy 33rd B'day, Roger!

Post by laverfan Fri 08 Aug 2014, 2:53 pm

Can he win Toronto and give himself a birthday gift? With Djokovic and Nadal not in line, perhaps he has a chance.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Happy 33rd B'day, Roger! Empty Re: Happy 33rd B'day, Roger!

Post by bogbrush Fri 08 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm

On a court this fast the player he'd least like is Tsonga playing well (or Raonic winning tie breaks I suppose).

I'm hoping for Dimitrov v Federer and some hardcore SHBH stuff.

Yeah, happy birthday Federer, still going well at 33. Who's got the Olympics after Brazil? Will they play on a Fed-friendly surface?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 08 Aug 2014, 9:20 pm

Yeah, Laver's birthday tomorrow as well, Sampras in four days. 42 slams in a four day space.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 09 Aug 2014, 2:07 pm

kingraf wrote:Yeah, Laver's birthday tomorrow as well, Sampras in four days. 42 slams in a four day space.

I thought no one cared about Laver's birthday. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 09 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm

The mention of Laver's birthday - along with Fed's - is very timely indeed, given that a) Rod's autobiography has just been published in the UK and b) it is none other than Federer who provided the book's Foreword.

In fact you can get to read the whole of the Foreword, along with many other 'samplers' from the book on the Amazon site. Even though Fed is of course virtually fluent in English, I suspect that the syntax/composition of the Foreword was tweaked by a journo (perhaps the same ghost writer as for the book itself). But the sentiments are clearly his own, and it all comes across extremely well, with his deep respect & admiration for Laver shining through.

And then we get into something of a mutual appreciation society with the Acknowledgements by Rod including positively effusive thanks to Fed.....

"What an honour it is that the great Roger Federer has taken time out from his peerless career to pen the foreword to this book. I appreciate and am humbled by Roger’s kind and generous words. For her friendship and kindness, too, I thank Roger’s wife Mirka."

Based on the Amazon 'samplers' for this Autobiog, I'm tempted to place an order for what I reckon should be a great read...... Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 09 Aug 2014, 7:39 pm

It was one hell of day and we celebrated RF birthday all through the evening session, at moments David even paused to let us complete the song, so nice of Little Dave.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 10 Aug 2014, 2:06 am

I was almost tempted to rush out and buy this but to be honest I find £7 for a Kindle book a bit of a turn of, and also it's a turn off that this is a 2nd book after one a few years ago. Just give us everything in one book.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 10 Aug 2014, 2:07 am

'From my earliest tennis memories, Rod Laver stood above all others as the greatest champion our sport has known.' Roger Federer

This quote I find very interesting indeed. Anyone want to guess why?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 3:21 am

Henman Bill wrote:I was almost tempted to rush out and buy this but to be honest I find £7 for a Kindle book a bit of a turn of, and also it's a turn off that this is a 2nd book after one a few years ago. Just give us everything in one book.

Do you live in Canada too HB?

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 10 Aug 2014, 2:27 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:I was almost tempted to rush out and buy this but to be honest I find £7 for a Kindle book a bit of a turn of, and also it's a turn off that this is a 2nd book after one a few years ago. Just give us everything in one book.

Do you live in Canada too HB?

Can I draw your attention to this thread? https://www.606v2.com/t52487-why-i-m-in-chile-a-story-of-tennis-travel-and-love

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 10 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm

That is an interesting quote... I'd put money on him stretching it a bit for effect though. I'm not sure I buy a six year old Federer thinking a player who's best years were over a decade before his birth being the gold standard.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 10 Aug 2014, 5:13 pm

[quote="laverfan"]
kingraf wrote:Yeah, Laver's birthday tomorrow as well, Sampras in four days. 42 slams in a four day space.

I thought no one cared about Laver's birthday. Hug[/quote

Im sure Laver does Whistle 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 11 Aug 2014, 6:21 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
laverfan wrote:

I thought no one cared about Laver's birthday. Hug[/quote

Im sure Laver does Whistle 

Back to your dialogue,

he didn't care for any of our birthdays so why should we  Laugh 

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down