Best place to park car, garage or driveway?

Go down

Best place to park car, garage or driveway? Empty Best place to park car, garage or driveway?

Post by sikhlion on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 am

Where's the best place to park your car? A garage if you have one or better left on drive? Someone told me that parking in a garage speeds up the rusting process and it's better left to the elements on the drive? Also insurance premiums can be higher if you park in garage though I'm not sure why

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Best place to park car, garage or driveway? Empty Re: Best place to park car, garage or driveway?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:53 am

I like to park on my neighbor's lawn....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Best place to park car, garage or driveway? Empty Re: Best place to park car, garage or driveway?

Post by sikhlion on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:00 am

Lol nice one! I'll try that myself

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Speed up the rusting process???!!

If your car is a heap of junk and liable to rust then park it on the drive. If it's not then the £100-200 saving on annual insurance premium is more important so park it in the garage.

Have never heard of premiums being higher in a garage.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Just ran a check and admittedly I over-cooked the difference massively. Typically £10-40 difference for garagae versus drive - but certainly not cheaper on the drive!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sikhlion on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:01 pm

I think it speeds up rusting process as if a wet car is parked in the garage it takes longer to dry abs is a little warmer in there so better conditions for oxidation and rust apparently. Insurance premiums can be higher if you park in garage also which I find odd apparently your more likely to knock it whilst parking so the premium can be higher
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2640503/Does-parking-car-garage-bring-price-insurance.html

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Insurance premiums can be higher if you park in garage also which I find odd apparently your more likely to knock it whilst parking so the premium can be higher

------------------------

Have you actually tested this........??

As if you do you'll most likely find you're wrong. It makes barely any sense and a cursory check of an insurance comparison website confirms it's nonesense.

Insurance comes with £150-500 excess - people don't claim for tiny little dints and scatches from knocks: a) it's cheaper than the excess to self-sort; and b) the claim will hike your premium next time.

Therefore getting your car stolen, broken into, vandalised etc is a much greater problem and much more likely to cause a claim to arise.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:45 am

Doesn't matter where you park,they'll f***k you good and proper.

Got a renewal quote from Swiftcover for £250. Went online and found a quote from AXA for £198 which included a courtesy car. Rang Swiftcover to say I would be taking the AXA deal and they told me that AXA was part of the Swiftcover group and they could give me exactly the same deal.

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST OFFER ME THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU ABSOLUTE TOTAL AND UTTER F*****G B*STARDS?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 am

Haha

I can only dream of a sub-£200 quote........would bite the hand off £250 even!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:34 am

yeah but if you do need a bus to get you round.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:52 am

Bus would probably be cheaper to insure than my 5 series......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 pm

sikhlion wrote:I think it speeds up rusting process as if a wet car is parked in the garage it takes longer to dry abs is a little warmer in there so better conditions for oxidation and rust apparently. Insurance premiums can be higher if you park in garage also which I find odd apparently your more likely to knock it whilst parking so the premium can be higher
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2640503/Does-parking-car-garage-bring-price-insurance.html

It can be more expensive if the garage is en bloc, rather than on the property. Block garages tend to be unlit, with nothing overlooking them, and few passersby - hence presenting greater opportunity for crime.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm

sikhlion wrote:I think it speeds up rusting process as if a wet car is parked in the garage it takes longer to dry abs is a little warmer in there so better conditions for oxidation and rust apparently. Insurance premiums can be higher if you park in garage also which I find odd apparently your more likely to knock it whilst parking so the premium can be higher

I'd be surprised if rusting was quicker inside. The sort of rusting we are talking about here would effect the underside of the car and that would largely depend on how wet it was, the weather conditions and how long you were planning on leaving it without driving again. The rusting process can start occuring pretty rapidly and any wind or breeze would certainly help dry it, however should it be raining at the same time this could nullify that. The heat of your engine after it was running should help dry the underside of the car and this heat woulf be sustained for longer indoors.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 am

imo a driveway is a top place to park a car, followed by garage.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:06 am

Why driveway over garage?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:23 am

For me, its a matter of convenience- just park the car, hop out and go about your business. Garages have doors which need to be opened, which can be a hassle. Also when parked inside there is the worry of hitting the door off the wall (unless you have a spacious garage).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:57 pm

neither. Scrap heap is better. It's ecologically irresponsible to own a car in this day and age (unless it's an electric one), so far better to chuck it at the scrap heap and use the metal for something more environmentally friendly Wink.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Better to keep an existing car than buy an electric one.

Carbon footprint of a Prius is epic.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 pm

incontinentia wrote: Also when parked inside there is the worry of hitting the door off the wall (unless you have a spacious garage).
That's why you put padding on the wall by the area you park.
I miss having a garage. No bird Poopie, leafs, tree sap, spider webs, snow & ice.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:42 am

I've got covered parking. I actually have no idea how that influences my rates. Worth a look, I suppose.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:50 am

best place to park . outside the playboy mansion

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum