The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight

+9
jimdig
Dipper Brown
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
KingMonkey
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
wheelchair1991
catchweight
13 posters

Go down

Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight Empty Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight

Post by catchweight Fri 22 Aug 2014, 9:55 am

Its two in a row for Scott Quigg as his latest opponent Paulus Ambunda has withrawn citing injury. This leaves Quigg currently without an opponent for September.

Ricky Burns, whos career hangs in the balance, has made the move to light welterweight and has a targetted a world title in a 3rd weight class for 2015. A proposed bout with Scott Harrison fell through after Harrison was arrested. Burns decided to then move up a weight. His training believes that Burns recent poor form was in part due to difficulty making weight and expects Burns to capture a world title next year. No opponents for his next fight has been announced as of yet.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight Empty Re: Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:00 am

Wonder who quigg will fight now perhaps someone in the WBA top 10

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight Empty Re: Quigg loses opponet, Burns moves to light welterweight

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:02 am

A proposed bout with Scott Harrison fell through after Harrison was arrested.

What a bum.

Re Ricky, I don't believe the excuses, lovely bloke but he simply got found out. LLW's would wipe the floor with him. Hell, I'd back Mikey Garcia to stop him in 4 rounds even giving away 10lbs+ in weight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:26 am

Harrison is arrested every other week. Massive drink/aggro problem.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:34 am

Ricky Burns to eat extra deep fried Mars bars and bulk up to face Kell Brook

"Brook faces former world champion in first defence"

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:43 am

I remember Hearn saying after the Beltran 'draw' that he was thinking of moving Burns up to 140 as he felt that the weight was partly responsible for his poor performances. At the time I thought it was just excuse making, and that even if they were serious about it, moving up to Light-Welter would be a bad move in any case.

My opinion hasn't changed, either!

Sure, Burns has got a big frame for a Lightweight but I've not really seen any evidence which suggests getting down to 135 has taken it out of him. He's not been running out of puff later on in fights, looking gaunt on the scales or blowing out massively between the weigh in and fight night (albeit I think I remember Damien saying that in his opinion, Burns looked a bit softer than usual against Zlaticanan, which I have to admit I didn't really notice if true) - he's just been getting outboxed because his jab has lost that snap and consistency and because people have got wise to his lack of an inside game and have been able to push him back. If his power can't keep Beltran and Zlaticanan off him then I don't see how he hopes to deterr the Light-Welters.

Peterson may well lose his belt to Garcia in any case, but he's perhaps the weakest of the champions at 140 (I quite rate Algieri) and even then, can anyone see a way that Burns would beat him? I for one couldn't. I like Burns a lot and it was great seeing him go on that run from the Martinez to the Mitchell fight, but my heart sinks a bit when I hear the next promise of the "real Ricky Burns" returning for the next fight, or reasons why he's been AWOL for the last eighteen months. I don't think a move up in weight is the answer to his problems, but all the best to him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm

Quigg is becoming a laughing stock.....I'm afraid..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 22 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

Becoming? Until he stops masquerading as a world champ and proves himself then in a lot of people's eyes he already is. It isn't that he's a bad fighter, it's the Khan syndrome of feeling mugged as a punter.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 22 Aug 2014, 12:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Quigg is becoming a laughing stock.....I'm afraid..

Leonard fought Green......

Louis fought Galento......

Hagler never fought Spinks......

Give the kid a break........ He is a world champion and trying to make money....

And fairplay to him......

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 12:49 pm

They were all genuine champs...and every now and then they fought good fighters..

Spot the difference..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 12:56 pm

To say he is a world champion is a joke ive made my feelings on here clear about this before its nothing to do with quigg i feel the same regarding jamie mac

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

If Frampton beats Martinez then heads stateside, Quigg is gonna rue the missed chance of the fight purposed between them. HBO had Frampton as one of their 6 best SBW/FW a few months ago on one of their broadcasts. May have been a Donaire fight or something but it shows that even they hold him very highly to even mention him in the same breath as Rigo, Lomo etc. So if the yanks take to Frampton then that's big money. Quigg could become the "Junior Witter" of this era
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

It's boxing, I know there's hype surrounding fighters and appreciate the need for promotion. What I don't appreciate is being taken for a mug and that is what Quigg/Matchroom and Sky are currently doing.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

Yeah i understand sky do it but i dont agree with it by an stretch and my fear is we will have the same guff fed to us about jamie macdonnal

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They were all genuine champs...and every now and then they fought good fighters..

Spot the difference..

Holmes never fought Page.......

Hagler fought Hamsho twice......

Give the kid a break!!

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 22 Aug 2014, 1:56 pm

Catchweight is trussing Truss! Ha ha love it!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 22 Aug 2014, 2:02 pm

'Trussing' (verb) - to contextualise a current situation by comparing it to an event in the distant past that only Methuselah and his older brother could remember.

Example: 'Your really trussing me with that jumpers for goal posts argument'.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 22 Aug 2014, 2:06 pm

I think burns career has tipped the balance. This lww move is the last push for a payday. He'll get creamed before he gets an opportunity to challenge anyone of note. 
Hearn should have got the cheque book out and got quigg the Martinez fight instead of frampton. Frampton would then be forced to chase Santa Cruz, and we the boxing fan would have been happy out.  

I'm starting to think that Eddie and he's cheque book are inseparable.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

jimdig wrote:I think burns career has tipped the balance. This lww move is the last push for a payday. He'll get creamed before he gets an opportunity to challenge anyone of note. 
Hearn should have got the cheque book out and got quigg the Martinez fight instead of frampton. Frampton would then be forced to chase Santa Cruz, and we the boxing fan would have been happy out.  

Think Burns is trying to convince himself his poor form of late has nothing to do with his waning talent ....

I like Ricky but I don't think he'll have much joy with bigger men...

Bit like me at the Oyster..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Fri 22 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

Having a few extra pounds of cushion isn't going to help Burns with reaching with his punches and failing to measure distance well enough, or improve his inside game. Not world level anymore no matter what weight class (it's questionable whether he ever really was).

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 3:47 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Catchweight is trussing Truss! Ha ha love it!

Laugh Laugh Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 22 Aug 2014, 3:47 pm

Not even goin to start about Quigg...........less said the better.

Burns hasn't been the same since his jaw was broken, you could argue the Gonzales fight, but I think Gonzales was legit and would caused all the champs problems. Plus he digged-in in that fight, something I havent seen from him since.

Sometimes you have got to accept when your time has come, can't see Burns having more then 2 more fights.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 3:59 pm

I thought Burns should have had a longer lay off before his last fight..

Time for Fielding to pee or get off the pot Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 22 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm

Quigg is a fraud. Nothing more. Fighting bums and parading around with a 'regular' WBA belt, when the whole world knows Guillermo Rigondeaux is the true WBA champion(aside from this WBO/Linear titles).

Quigg gets KOd by either LSC or Frampton. And Rigondeaux beats him 120-108.

As for Burns, he was never anything more than a European level fighter. He was fortunate to ever win a title at LW. Had Marquez or Guerrero not moved up, both would've hammered him.

At 140, Garcia and Peterson will be moving up. So he might fluke a title, as the WBA/WBC/IBF will all become vacate.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 4:55 pm

Petersen isn't any better...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 22 Aug 2014, 5:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought Burns should have had a longer lay off before his last fight..

Time for Fielding to pee or get off the pot Mate.

You sit down when you pee? She has you well trained.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 22 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
jimdig wrote:I think burns career has tipped the balance. This lww move is the last push for a payday. He'll get creamed before he gets an opportunity to challenge anyone of note. 

Think Burns is trying to convince himself his poor form of late has nothing to do with his waning talent ....

I like Ricky but I don't think he'll have much joy with bigger men...

Bit like me at the Oyster..
If there are bigger men than you in the oyster, it's gone downhill since I've last been there....

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down