The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zim-SA-Oz Tri Series

+7
king_carlos
Mike Selig
kingraf
freemo
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Zim-SA-Oz Tri Series Empty Zim-SA-Oz Tri Series

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:40 pm

The first match is underway at Harare. Looks a decent batting wicket; perfect spring weather.
Should be an interesting little tourny for these 3 countries before the more serious stuff later on this year and next.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-triangular-series-2014/content/current/series/736429.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Zim-SA-Oz Tri Series Empty Re: Zim-SA-Oz Tri Series

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:48 pm

OK start from Australia with Finch and Haddin.

Haddin played one on in a balloon-like fashion - out for 46.
Finch started the stronger but the rate slowed down for a while after MM came to the crease.
Bailey looked a little rusty, however Marsh and Maxwell then got a move on and went a bit beserk.
Marsh then choked a slower delivery - caught at long on for 89.
Smith stranded halfway down the crease- run-out misjudging the fielding of what he thought was a lusty blow from Maxwell.

and just now - Maxwell out for 93(45) after skying one down the field.

Australia 317/5... 14 balls to go.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm

GLENN MAXWELL IN TAKING APART TRIPE BOWLING SHOCKER

Watch him score zilch against SA
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:55 pm

wow... glass in commentary box shattered. Anyone see that?

Showered glass all over Pommie Mbangwa.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Johnson looking so fit. No wonder England are so scared of him.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:02 pm

350/6 after 50.
Not a bad total against this attack on this wicket.
Still a decent batting innings for their first game of the season.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:53 pm

I see Maxwell wasn't told this is not a T20, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:04 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:wow... glass in commentary box shattered. Anyone see that?

Mitch Johnson??

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:15 pm

freemo wrote:
The Loaded Dog wrote:wow... glass in commentary box shattered. Anyone see that?

Mitch Johnson??

Yes. He apologised.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:20 pm

WHat happened?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Long straight hit from Mitch.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Well, that single hit could be enough to tip Zimbabwe's economy into the great(er) abyss. I hope he's proud of himself
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Looks like the windows will be safe from him today.

Australia heading for well over 300 now... should have been 340+ though with that "dismissal" of Bailey who was seeing them large. Anyway, such is cricket. Very good batting conditions and some decent bounce in this wicket.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 pm

So 2 overs for Mitch to break another window and send the economy into a deeper hole.
Seems like he's preferring the grass banks today.
A late flurry from Smith 31(19) and now Mitch 23(8) making the total look more respectable than it was looking 5 overs or so ago.

327/7 after 50 overs.

Last edited by The Loaded Dog on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Impressive from Aus given they're missing Warner, Watson and Clarke from the batting line-up.

Warner Finch Watson Clarke Bailey Maxwell/Smith Keeper Faulkner Johnson Starc Lyon looks a pretty tasty line-up to me.

Guess Haddin as a keeper but doesn't look at the right place at 7 for me.
Also 3 left-armers in the attack, but hey if they're the best why not? Certainly nobody would argue against 3 right-armers...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:35 pm

C'mon Australia. Just get to 199 and I'll be happy.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:47 pm

These Zimbabwean and South African commentators absolutely love talking about Australian pain and misery. Even my hamstrings started hurting just listening to them talking about Clarke.

Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Australia hobble to 209/9 on the back/hamstring of Clarke's brave innings.
I wonder if Lyon can bag a few on this pitch? The pressure will also be on Starc, Faulkner, Cutting and Marsh to win this match.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Zimbabwe need seventeen from thirty one... I'm so proud to be sorta Zimbabwean at the moment.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:50 pm

sixteen from thirty three wickets in hand.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:53 pm

Eleven from twenty-six
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Clarke bowling... Cue the miracle
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:57 pm

Clarke is a big occasion bowler... Three dots so far
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:58 pm

Fourth... Fantastic bowling
One off the over so far Zim need ten.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:58 pm

Now need nine...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Harare Sports Club looks fantastic
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Six off fifteen. One shot away
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:02 pm

Five off thirteen.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Big 6 to win it!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:04 pm

WHAT A FINISH!!! PICK UP FOR SIX!!! :|
Zimbabwe beat the best in the world!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:05 pm

Wonderful victory for Zimbabwae.

Excellent innings from Chigumbara under huge pressure to deliver. A real captains knock that.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Wonderful win for Zimbabwe!!. Very, very happy for them!!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:09 pm

Hopefully Zimbabwe can get more matches. They've been playing for a month straight now, and the value is there for all to see
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Congrats raf!
Thrilled to see Zimbabwe get that win. Well deserved. What a great way to finish too!

I had to switch the computer back on to write this... but what a great day for Zimbabwean cricket, the fans at the ground and the country itself.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:57 pm

Fantastic win for Zimbabwe, fantastic effort!

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:00 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:These Zimbabwean and South African commentators absolutely love talking about Australian pain and misery. Even my hamstrings started hurting just listening to them talking about Clarke.

Smile

That semi final cut us so deep it is going to hurt for a long, long time still. I must say, I was rooting for Zim, but we have a lot of Zim expats here in SA and I know quite a few so it makes sense for us to be supporting them. Just sweeter because it was against Aus. Like I said, 15 years and it still hurts.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:27 am

Actually I find the joy over seeing a country whose board is quite so corrupt (even by cricket standards which is saying something) and who continues to receive money and fixtures(and maintain a status) which their results and structure (or rather lack thereof) clearly don't merit, and whose head coach is an avowed racist, pretty nauseating. None of this reflects on the players who I'm sure work very hard in very difficult circumstances, but unfortunately this result will be hijacked by various people with nefarious aims, and those of us who are cricket fans should be careful we don't help this process.

The more interesting story is Clarke being openly critical of his selectors' choices (the absence of Smith on that pitch seems to be quite an issue) and rightly having a right go at the Australian performance. On the former, I have never understood why Australia are so obsessed with keeping the captain formally away from selection matters particularly regarding the match-day XI; I would have thought the captain and coach are better placed than anybody to know of the squad which combination of players are going better in training etc (I doubt the selectors attend all the training sessions), to assess conditions (selectors are rarely experts on the modern game) etc. I have always found this puzzling from the Aussies, and as far as I know they are the only board to do this.

As for Australia's performance, I didn't see the batting but the bowling and fielding was pretty dreadful, as were the tactics. Clearly it was a pitch which invited bowlers to bowl straight and cut their fingers across the ball, yet how often did we see a slip in place (who was never going to get a catch) off the seamers? It was just silly to watch Starc again and again push the ball across the right handers trying to get them out nicking off, when it was clear that he should have come around the wicket to attack the stumps. When he did, Clarke set a field without a deep square-leg! Criminal really. Not to mention all the loose balls and the 20+ wides in a low scoring game. And an extraordinarily high number of (both simple and not so simple) misfields.

Prior to this tour I had Australia down as just about favourites for the world cup - most settled batting order, quality all the way down. Not so sure now. Maybe this will wake them up a bit.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:58 pm

It was just one game Mike (shocker though it was for Australia) and I could see it brewing from ball 1 having watched pretty much all of it. However, I wouldn't let it affect their favourites tag for the WC. They will probably perform very well in 6 months time and this match will be seen for exactly what is was - a poorly prepared acceptance of an invite to a quick tournament in a country which (as you say) has quite a few problems on various levels and a cricketing administration run by several dubious characters who will no doubt Prosper (excuse the pun!) from the player's fortunes on the field yesterday.

I also feel the same way when we tour the UAE and SL. I don't understand why they seem so eager to appease the powers that be (political or otherwise) and run blindly into a Test and ODI Series in those countries - often at the wrong time in our season. It not only sets a bad example and sends the wrong signal (on a political level mainly) but it also seems to me that they (CA) are not quite aware of what they are getting themselves into which strikes me as pretty naive. But they must be greedy (and gullible!) and have been offered a sizeable paper bags of money to tour in those places. Like England in 2012, I think they will be walking into a lion's den when they meet Pakistan in the UAE next.

As soon as I saw the team yesterday I had a feeling they could be in for an unpleasant shock. The body language looked all wrong... and it got desperately worse as the game reached its conclusion. There should be no excuses though. They severely underestimated Zimbabwe and the selectors made a meal of the team selection. What did they expect?

Agree with you though - the Captain must have a say. Clarke certainly didn't look happy afterwards but this must have been exacerbated by the pain his was enduring. I just can't see how he felt as though he was fit to take the field. Maybe he was forced into it? Maybe he put his hand up and thought he might be able to make a contribution (which he did but at great expense)... but I don't know. Look where he is now. These injuries (back and hammy) are well and truly chronic with him now. It is a huge worry for us.

Anyway, back to the win. Happy for all those faces in the crowd to see their side pull off a memorable win. They deserve some fun in the sun. However, like you say, there are still these sinister undertones with the country, admin, coach - which sort of spoils the celebration (from our point of view) in a pure sporting sense. But you have to concede these types of losses every now and then and cop them on the chin.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Mike - I'm gonna be upfront now.

I'm elated for the Zimbabwean national team. Beating a big wig like Australia is rare for them, and for it to have happened at home, in front of a packed (standing room only) stadia is as much of a shot to the arm of Zimbabwean cricket as anything that has happened in the last decade plus. Do they have a nefarious board? Possibly, but at this junction of the play I highly doubt any country has a squeaky clean chain of command. They are all money hungry lying sacks of [expletives].
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 pm

kingraf wrote:Mike - I'm gonna be upfront now.

I'm elated for the Zimbabwean national team. Beating a big wig like Australia is rare for them, and for it to have happened at home, in front of a packed (standing room only) stadia is as much of a shot to the arm of Zimbabwean cricket as anything that has happened in the last decade plus. Do they have a nefarious board? Possibly, but at this junction of the play I highly doubt any country has  a squeaky clean chain of command. They are all money hungry lying sacks of [expletives].
Agree.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:01 pm

You are right about other boards, but even by cricket's standards Zimbabwe's is atrociously corrupt. Plus most other teams that I know of don't employ a head coach who some years ago asked a colleague "are you guys with the whites or with the blacks? you must decide"

So forgive me if, whilst I am delighted for the players who I'm sure give their absolute all in amazingly difficult circumstances, and the fans who have had precious little to cheer about, I am decidedly not delighted for Zimbabwe cricket, and believe this to be a poor result for cricket world-wide as it will be hijacked and Zimbabwe will continue to receive (and palpably misuse) funds which they don't deserve. Sorry for not going along with the fairytale.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Plus most other teams that I know
of don't employ a head coach who some
years ago asked a colleague "are you guys
with the whites or with the blacks? you must
decide"

------------------------

Different circumstances in Zimbabwe to almost any other country. It isn't an exaggeration to suggest the board, and power struggle break up exactly so. Where were you 18 months ago when Lanka players weren't getting paid? I just don't understand how it's somehow better for Zimbabwe to rather get beaten from pillar to post. In an world things would be different... but it's not.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02 pm

I have been critical of the Sri Lankan board in the past, but I don't see what that has to do with what is going on in Zimbabwe now.

This win will and is already being used to cement the positions of those at the top of Zimbabwe cricket, and will see yet more ICC funding come their way and go straight into various people's pockets instead of where it is actually needed, namely the players and the grass roots development. That is why IMO it is not a good thing.

Zimbabwe continuing to lose matches easily, eventually the ICC waking up and stripping them of their funding status, would hopefully in time lead to a complete overhaul of the organisation and maybe see some less corrupt and even competent people in charge (maybe the guys in charge now would walk away if there wasn't any money in it for them). Whilst this may seem unlikely, I prefer it to the certainty of what happens if Zimbabwe somehow win some more meaningful matches.

When was the last time Zimbabwe beat another full member in a match which actually meant something? first world T20 against Aus? in 50 overs going back to 1999? Yet they deserve 11 times the funding which Ireland and Afghanistan (or indeed Holland) receive?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 pm

I don't remember you calling for us to be disgusted with every win Sri Lanka managed to pull off a win.

They've beaten Pakistan in a test, literally a year ago... or does that not matter?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 pm

Let's not have the "why tidy my bedroom whilst people are dying of hunger" argument...

Don't think just because a meaningless match lasts 5 days makes it much more meaningful TBH no. Most of cricket which goes on TV now is devoid of any meaningful context.

Simply put the Zimbabwe board represents a lot which I dislike, including corruption on a major scale and racism. I don't have to be overjoyed at a result which reinforces their position.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 am

You guys are paying too much attention to the administrators and their issues.

We are fans, we watch the teams perform on the field.

Unless any of us are actually involved with the administration of the game at the higher level, most of our rants are speculation at best.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 am

No I don't agree at all. The administrators have an effect on the game, it is not enough to go "oh well, I don't care what's happening to cricket globally as long as I can watch teams perform".

As a fan, I find the administration of cricket is having a negative impact: they are doing all they can to stop teams I want to watch playing at top events, matches are becoming increasingly devoid of any context, and the same teams are playing each-other over and over again. For the first time this year I was unexcited about the first test of the summer - usually a huge event - and I am finding myself only throwing cursory glances at scores or matches rather than going out of my way to watch them.

This is only an extension of people who moaned about ashes overload, or having 7 ODIs at the end a test series, or the plethora of T20 leagues, or... Well not quite, because where they just moan, I and others are actually trying to do something about it (most recent example being Keith Oliver being beaten by Ken Farmiloe, although unfortunately Ken later withdrew).

In the same way, I cannot accept that where there is palpable corruption happening we should just sit back and ignore it. Should football fans not worry about the world cup in Qatar possibly happening in 50 deg temperatures, or the impact that a winter tournament will have on the domestic season? And not be outraged about how it came to that? Of course not.

With regards to the Zimbabwe win, the point I am making is that people who think this result is good for Zimbabwe cricket are deluding themselves, if by Zimbabwe cricket they mean actual cricket in Zimbabwe. It is good for the administrators whose position it has strengthened, but I very much doubt it will do much good for the players livelihoods, or that it will help grass roots development in the long term. Let's not forget that England winning the ashes in 2005 was only a very short term impact (more people played cricket in the park for a summer, maybe 2, but that was about it). In terms of development the money Sky have injected has had a much higher impact (because it has been targeted).

The other point is that I don't think it is good for cricket globally, in the sense that I think it helps Zimbabwe to keep their undeserved privileges (funding, status, automatic qualification for tournaments) over the likes of Ireland etc. I am pro meritocracy, and therefore in general am not pleased at results which help maintain the status quo.

As for your final line, well let's just say my rants are decidedly not speculation.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:45 am

Mike Selig wrote:No I don't agree at all. The administrators have an effect on the game, it is not enough to go "oh well, I don't care what's happening to cricket globally as long as I can watch teams perform".

As a fan, I find the administration of cricket is having a negative impact: they are doing all they can to stop teams I want to watch playing at top events, matches are becoming increasingly devoid of any context, and the same teams are playing each-other over and over again. For the first time this year I was unexcited about the first test of the summer - usually a huge event - and I am finding myself only throwing cursory glances at scores or matches rather than going out of my way to watch them.

This is only an extension of people who moaned about ashes overload, or having 7 ODIs at the end a test series, or the plethora of T20 leagues, or... Well not quite, because where they just moan, I and others are actually trying to do something about it (most recent example being Keith Oliver being beaten by Ken Farmiloe, although unfortunately Ken later withdrew).

In the same way, I cannot accept that where there is palpable corruption happening we should just sit back and ignore it. Should football fans not worry about the world cup in Qatar possibly happening in 50 deg temperatures, or the impact that a winter tournament will have on the domestic season? And not be outraged about how it came to that? Of course not.

With regards to the Zimbabwe win, the point I am making is that people who think this result is good for Zimbabwe cricket are deluding themselves, if by Zimbabwe cricket they mean actual cricket in Zimbabwe. It is good for the administrators whose position it has strengthened, but I very much doubt it will do much good for the players livelihoods, or that it will help grass roots development in the long term. Let's not forget that England winning the ashes in 2005 was only a very short term impact (more people played cricket in the park for a summer, maybe 2, but that was about it). In terms of development the money Sky have injected has had a much higher impact (because it has been targeted).

The other point is that I don't think it is good for cricket globally, in the sense that I think it helps Zimbabwe to keep their undeserved privileges (funding, status, automatic qualification for tournaments) over the likes of Ireland etc. I am pro meritocracy, and therefore in general am not pleased at results which help maintain the status quo.

As for your final line, well let's just say my rants are decidedly not speculation.

Mike, most of us have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. It isn't a matter of not caring, it is a matter of second hand information. Take Zim as an example, it isn't only their cricket administrators that are corrupt, yet there is nothing we can do about it, I can say the same about our government, and most likely our sports administrators as well.

Hence, I watch the sport and try not to get involved with something I have no influence over Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Steyn vs Johnson is a cricketing wet dream...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Australia bounce back strongly. Great knock by Mitchell Marsh at the death, his form could really put the cat amongst the pigeons for the world cup squad/team. Much better effort in the field from Aus as well, even though a few misfields and scrambled planning which they will have to further work on.

South Africa's death bowling let them down, great bowler though he is Steyn can be a bit hit and miss at the death sometimes. Du Plessis played a marvelous knock but it was pretty much a solo effort.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next