The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

+47
blackcanelion
funnyExiledScot
Tattie Scones RRN
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Geordie
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pat_Mustard
TheMildlyFranticLlama
SecretFly
RDW
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
EST
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
EWT Spoons
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
sensisball
Pete330v2
Weegie Wizard
Nematode
Argybargy
LeinsterFan4life
demosthenes
quinsforever
lostinwales
Captain_Sensible
tigertattie
Notch
CraigS1874
Dorothy_Mantooth
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
madmaccas
alive555
justified sinner
BigGee
reallybored
GLove39
cakeordeath
TJ
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
JonnyEdinburgh
VinceWLB
RuggerRadge2611
jimbopip
51 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by IanBru Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:45 pm

Banter through the ages:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Laurel-and-hardy
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv

Well friends, the pre-season has come and gone, now things get real.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Edinburgh-Festival-2011-Background1

1. Pre-Season

Edinburgh 10-11 Leicester Tigers
Edinburgh 21-15 Newcastle Falcons

2. Results
Munster 13-14 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 13-14 Connacht
Ospreys 62-13 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 20-20 Scarlets
Ulster 30-0 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 24-10 Newport Gwent Dragons
Bordeaux-Bègles 13-15 Edinburgh

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Friday 24 Oct 2014 - 19:45 (TBC)
Lyon   (H)   -   European Rugby Challenge Cup

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues 0

1. Pre-Season Results
Glasgow Warriors 23-24 Harlequins
London Scottish 19-38 Glasgow Warriors

2. Results
Glasgow Warriors 22-20 Leinster
Cardiff Blues 12-33 Glasgow Warriors
Newport Gwent Dragons 13-33 Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht
Benetton Treviso 23-40 Glasgow Warriors
Ulster 29-9 Glasgow Warriors

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 15:15 (Live on BT Sport 2)
Bath   (H)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 18:15 (Live on Sky Sports)
Montpellier Herault   (A)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Any and all discussion of things rugby-related is welcome. Restaurant recommendations are openly sought. Introductions to eligible young people would be fantastic. Bullying, jingoism, and wang-measuring is not on.

We need to move forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Last edited by IanBru on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:04 am; edited 5 times in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by jimbopip Wed 03 Sep 2014, 9:22 pm

Meh.
What was wrong with the way things were?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 03 Sep 2014, 9:44 pm

Love the pictures!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:04 am

GREAT WORK BRU. Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Smiley10

Takes bloody ages to set up, doesn't it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:09 am

Good job!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:23 am

Have been interested to hear how the new English commentary will work on the Alba broadcast.

Been announced that Hugh Dan will still commentate in Gaelic with an injured player co commentating (McInally for the Edinburgh game) and the English commentary will have a commentator plus John Beattie!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:47 am

We are now face with the dilema of John Beattie (who follows me on twitter, what an honour). Or the very excitable BBC Alba commentator.

It's not just furrahlinneee I like. It's the fact he sometimes exclaims "Ocht" when a big hit comes in.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:57 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:We are now face with the dilema of John Beattie (who follows me on twitter, what an honour). Or the very excitable BBC Alba commentator.

It's not just furrahlinneee I like. It's the fact he sometimes exclaims "Ocht" when a big hit comes in.

Sorry Radge, but he follows me too, and I generally don't post on Twitter.  Think he's pretty indiscriminate about who he follows.

Are these on separate channels or a red button type job?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:29 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:We are now face with the dilema of John Beattie (who follows me on twitter, what an honour). Or the very excitable BBC Alba commentator.

My favourite thing about Hugh Dan MacLennan is how his commentary completely falls apart when he's excited. My favourite example was Tommy Seymour's third try at Treviso this year: "Seymour .... Seymour Tommy Seymour... Tommy! .... Tommy Seymour!! ... TOMMY SEYMOOOOOUR!!!! OOoooooohh Tommy Seymour!"

It all sounds a bit wrong sometimes.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:51 am

I would choose Hugh Dan MacLennan over any other commentator any day of the week, even if i understand only player's names, he really makes you feel the game, a bit like watching a movie in 3D!
Will always remember his over the top commentary when YANUUU YANUUU TAWAA scored against Leinster last season!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:26 pm

Just a minute. I might have just passed out and woken up in an alternative reality, but did Edinburgh just beat Munster at Thomond and Glasgow just beat Leinster?

In the same weekend. And it wasn't a fluke in either case.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 06 Sep 2014, 9:21 pm

I know, it's like I've taken some delightful new drug, which at least explains why Carlos isn't at my door with a car battery and some wet sponges.

I'm not going to gloat about the results - they could both have easily gone the other way - but we know one thing: the 1872 Cup is going to be epic this year.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 06 Sep 2014, 9:28 pm

Bru, behave. Epic? Slightly less one sided than usual but still the annual slaughter of the effeminates.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Sun 07 Sep 2014, 9:03 am

What a cracking weekend of rugby, so glad it's back.
New slogan needed perhaps
"Scottish Rugby - not as flacid as you thought"

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 07 Sep 2014, 9:24 am

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:What a cracking weekend of rugby, so glad it's back.

I normally reserve that for s/thing else!

Welcome to the board, JonnyE OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

Scottish Rugby: Working Its Way Up To A Semi-Woody OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:52 am

As exciting a weekend it has been, it is just round 1....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

George Carlin wrote:Just a minute. I might have just passed out and woken up in an alternative reality, but did Edinburgh just beat Munster at Thomond and Glasgow just beat Leinster?

In the same weekend. And it wasn't a fluke in either case.

It would appear so - even in the coldlight of day. the MFLs winning away in Ireland in the opening fixture - thats the sort of start we want to the season. My only real criticism is the lack of any creativity in the centres. The pack fronted up and even shoved them around a bit which is a new aspect. Lots of desire and committment and the defence was very good indeed. Has Solomans made a team out of them?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:14 am

The one overriding theme of both victories were good defence and some ferocious tackling.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:15 am

OK. That's two. The two overriding things....

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

cakeordeath wrote:OK. That's two. The two overriding things....
Come in again...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:53 am

And a strong scrum. The 3 overriding things....

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:04 pm

"Scottish Edinburgh Rugby - not quite as flacid as you previously thought"
Fixed that for you Jonny. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:18 pm

cakeordeath wrote:And a strong scrum. The 3 overriding things....
Laugh Wonder if anyone else is old enough to understand the reference:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues Spanis10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:51 pm

I would hope so it's a classic

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:54 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:As exciting a weekend it has been, it is just round 1....

The signs are clear, Edinburgh / Glasgow to finish 1/2, a historic all scottish final takes place at Murrayfield. thumbsup

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:58 pm

Great weekend for Scottish rugby and neither side was at full strength.

Edinburgh look far more organised and abrasive, the front-five went very well with Watson and Du Preez both impressive behind.  Cuthbert and Fife played well in the backs, still lacking a bit of creativity in the midfield though.

Glasgow showed some real guts to wrestle the game back from Leinster, as usual Gray and Harley were tireless, Nakarawa is brilliant, Allan had a stormer, can't wait to see Strauss in dark blue, Dunbar and Bennett are getting better and better, Seymour showed his growing class again.

A good weekend all in all, imagine Mr Cotter was very pleased watching so many young Scots put in good performances and there should be plenty of competition come AIs.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 07 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

Baby fES is born, and on a cracking weekend of Scottish Rugby. This is an omen. Either she brings in a new dawn of success for Scottish rugby, or more likely an era when her Dad will miss many more thrilling weekends of rugby viewing!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 07 Sep 2014, 2:23 pm

Many Congratulations, the next chapter of your life starts here!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 07 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Baby fES is born, and on a cracking weekend of Scottish Rugby. This is an omen. Either she brings in a new dawn of success for Scottish rugby, or more likely an era when her Dad will miss many more thrilling weekends of rugby viewing!
Congratulations. She is a lucky girl - born with both with the Stockbridge silver ladle in her mouth and with a father who will educate her in the best team sport that there is. If you would like any personal possessions of your own over the next 30 years, I would consider buying them now. Those Jimmy Choo things are quite expensive and when she turns 16 you will find your wallet curiously empty.

PS - You went with Senga in the end, right?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 07 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

Congrats FES, and Mrs F too, your life gets better now. Children enrich our existences immeasurably, cherish her and enjoy every minute. Bubbly

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun 07 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm

Congrats fES. I hope she doesn't cut down on your rugby viewing too much.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 07 Sep 2014, 5:20 pm

Great news FES - congratulations!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 07 Sep 2014, 7:04 pm

Fantastic news FES!! Many congratulations, and all the best for the weeks and years to come.

Name?

I hear 'Kellybrows' is popular among the Stockbridge set...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:27 pm

She's called Clara. I tried Gwladys after the famous end at Goodison Park, or Gabby, after the lovely Gabby Logan, but as with Kellybrows, my wife overruled for sounds reasons!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:32 pm

Clara Exiled Scot- nice ring to it! Smile

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 08 Sep 2014, 9:01 am

cakeordeath wrote:And a strong scrum. The 3 overriding things....
Beginning to sound like the Romans

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 08 Sep 2014, 9:03 am

Congrats FES, really chuffed for you!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 08 Sep 2014, 9:04 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Baby fES is born, and on a cracking weekend of Scottish Rugby. This is an omen. Either she brings in a new dawn of success for Scottish rugby, or more likely an era when her Dad will miss many more thrilling weekends of rugby viewing!

Hearty congratulations on the new addition - I hope that Mrs fES is well too, and that you are bearing up under the strain, after all I've no doubt that you did most of the work Wink

Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Sep 2014, 9:05 am

Now FES the real question is, did the birth of your first child mean you missed Edinburgh's heroic victory over Munster??

If so, make sure you remind her of that for the rest of your life!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Sep 2014, 10:22 am

In other news, I see that Johnnie Beattie was sent off after 10 minutes playing against his old team - late shoulder charge!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 08 Sep 2014, 11:11 am

Beattie had a try chalked off last week too as his side got an absolute tonking.
Not the best of starts to the season for him.

If he wants the Scotland 8 shirt to be his, he has to realise that he needs a big season. Strauss qualifies next year, Denton will surely come back strongly, Ashe doesn't look out of place amongst the big boys now and tradition dictates that's where Kelly Brown could also end up. He needs to kick some arse this year.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 08 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

congratulations FES, hope mrs fes and baby fes are well.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 08 Sep 2014, 11:32 am

Oh and welcome to the board Jonny

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Now FES the real question is, did the birth of your first child mean you missed Edinburgh's heroic victory over Munster??

If so, make sure you remind her of that for the rest of your life!
...by making her middle name "Heathcote".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:49 pm

Haha, thanks again to everyone for such a warm welcome - even from those of you way out west.

Congratulations FES also, although I'm a newby I have stalked this forum for so long I feel I know you anyway. Cheers! Ale

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:51 pm

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:Haha, thanks again to everyone for such a warm welcome - even from those of you way out west.

Congratulations FES also, although I'm a newby I have stalked this forum for so long I feel I know you anyway. Cheers!  Ale

So out of all of the things that have happened in Scottish rugby in the last year or however long you have been watching, Edinburgh beating Munster is the thing that persuaded you to come out the woodwork??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
JonnyEdinburgh wrote:Haha, thanks again to everyone for such a warm welcome - even from those of you way out west.

Congratulations FES also, although I'm a newby I have stalked this forum for so long I feel I know you anyway. Cheers!  Ale

So out of all of the things that have happened in Scottish rugby in the last year or however long you have been watching, Edinburgh beating Munster is the thing that persuaded you to come out the woodwork??

Haha, good point, the timing of my appearance doesn't reflect well on my credentials admittedly! In my defence I signed up last Thursday with every intention to begin posting once the season started and with the Edinburgh Fans Forum being broken at the minute I figured I'd take the plunge on here. Don't worry, I won't be one of those troll-type-glory-hunters who crawls back into the woodwork next week when Connacht put a BP on us.

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:35 pm

Bit unlucky with the shoulder charge from Beattie, definitely a red-card but didn't look malicious.  Good to see him throwing his weight around though.

Was a little worried about the depth in back-row at the beginning of last season but everything is looking rosy again.

6 - Brown, Harley, Low, Strokosch
7 - Barclay, Rennie, Fusaro, Cowan, Watson
8 - Beattie, (Strauss), Denton, Ashe, Wilson

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:37 pm

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Haha, good point, the timing of my appearance doesn't reflect well on my credentials admittedly!  In my defence I signed up last Thursday with every intention to begin posting once the season started and with the Edinburgh Fans Forum being broken at the minute I figured I'd take the plunge on here.  Don't worry, I won't be one of those troll-type-glory-hunters who crawls back into the woodwork next week when Connacht put a BP on us.    

Well you've got a lot of catching up to do - what's your view on the following:

-The lack of Scottish representation in the Lions
-The Vern Cotter employment farce
-Our woeful 6N performance (i'll let you pick which one)
-Scott Johnson's team selections
-Kelly Brown's best position
-Richie Vernon's move to 13
-Vern Cotter's first games in charge
-Your opinion on every Edinburgh signing and player departing in the summer
-Is Stuart Hogg really a very naughty boy or just miss-understood?
-Is Mark Bennett really the second coming, messiah, and saviour of Scottish rugby?

Answer those and you'll have just about passed the initiation! Very Happy

All you will need to do then is make a joke about ASBO's age, FES' privileged Stockbridge lifestyle, snuck an opinion about independence on here, made a joke about Glaswegians, soap and stabbings and deciphered one of 21st Schitzoid's posts (again - I'll let you choose) and you'll be a fully fledged Scottish poster!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next