The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

+9
Good Golly I'm Olly
sportform
Trebs
mystiroakey
Gerry SA
Bull
dyrewolfe
GSC
Fernando
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers  - Page 2 Empty Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by Fernando Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Due to the unsavory nature of the last race thread this is a pre-warning that abuse will not be tolerated you will be put on the naughty step

Round 13 of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship moves the action to its traditional early September date at Monza, home of the Italian Grand Prix.

Monza is F1’s premier speed circuit, the last of its kind, a flat-out blast through parkland that sees cars, configured for low downforce, reach their highest velocities of the year. Its reputation as Formula One’s fastest track is likely to be enhanced this year. While 2014’s technical regulations have produced cars with less downforce than those of recent years, the corresponding decrease in drag may see cars hitting 360kph on the long straights.

But Monza isn’t simply about top speeds. Recent races have seen winners emerge from among the slowest through the speed traps, preferring a set-up that possesses sufficient downforce to carry speed through the circuit’s few corners and onto the long straights. Other requirements include a car that is stable under braking, rides kerbs well and has good traction out of the chicanes.

Racing on home ground, Pirelli brings its two hardest compounds to Monza. The fast Parabolica corner places high lateral energy demands on the tyre, while the stop-go nature of the chicanes means Monza also makes high longitudinal demands on the rubber. Even so, the presence of the Hard and Medium tyres combined with the long pitlane time makes this a good place to try a one-stop strategy.

Mercedes come into the race with a strong lead in the Constructors’ Championship, while Nico Rosberg has extended his margin over team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the Drivers’ Championship thanks to second place in Belgium. The German driver now has a 29-point lead over his English team-mate but Hamilton has two pole positions and a victory at Monza to his name and will be optimistic of closing the gap this weekend. It promises to be a spectacular event. prvw-flag-italy.jpg

CIRCUIT DATA

AUTODROMO NAZIONALE MONZA

Length of lap:
5.793km
Lap record
1:21.046
(Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari, 2004)
Start line/finish line offset
0.309km
Total number of race laps
Total race distance
306.720km
Pitlane speed limits
80km/h in practice, qualifying and the race

CIRCUIT NOTES

► To enhance safety, the inner half of the gravel trap at Parabolica has been replaced with an asphalt run-off.

DRS ZONES

► There will be two DRS zones in Italy. The detection point for the first zone will be 95m before Turn Seven, with the activation point 210m after Turn Seven. The second detection point will be 20m before Turn 11, with the activation point 115m after the finish line.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers  - Page 2 Empty Re: Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by Guest Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:21 pm

Yeah, heavily rumoured with Sauber. He also has a son apparently, who is already being touted to end up as a driver at the team at some point. Also news of F1 going to eight teams of three cars next season but still a ? over it. Interesting stuff going on

Back to top Go down

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers  - Page 2 Empty Re: Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by Fernando Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:27 pm

Id be surprised if 3 cars happened especially with 2 teams coming in supposedly in 2016 (provided Forza Rossa still happens now Kolles is with Caterham)

I would presume that would be Lotus/Marussia & 1 other out if actually happened maybe Caterham depends on Kolles source of funding.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 08 Sep 2014, 11:11 am

Still has amused me waking up to theories on various other places that Nico went long on purpose. He did it all through Practice as well was hardly a surprise. I think Lewis' team did a lovely game of bluffing over the radio saying stay at 2.5 seconds but closed in instead...surprised more haven't tried it by now it's that or Lewis really doesn't like listening to his team.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:16 pm

Yeah, stupid theories but the media will run anything now. If you pressure Nico, he makes mistakes.

Here's where we currently stand, after 13 Grand Prix this season

Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 238
Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes - 216
Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull - 166
Valtteri Bottas - Williams - 122
Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 121

Australian Grand Prix - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
Malaysia Grand Prix -Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
Bahrain Grand Prix - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
Chinese Grand Prix - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
Spanish Grand Prix - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
Monaco Grand Prix - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
Canadian Grand Prix - Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull
Austrian Grand Prix - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
British Grand Prix - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
German Grand Prix - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
Hungarian Grand Prix - Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull
Belgian Grand Prix - Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull
Italian Grand Prix - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

Barring issues with car Nico only needs to win 1/2 races.

7 pts a race over Lewis. so that's 3/6 races Lewis needs to just get back level with Nico. Anymore wins for Nico that keeps it above 14 pts and Lewis is going to have to hope Nico breaks down in Abu Dhabi.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

Yeah thats kinda my thoughts Nando.

The beeb can shove pressure etc down our throats but Niko still finished 2nd. Hamilton had a near perfect weekend bar the start, but he needs 6 more of them to win this title unless Niko has a few retirements.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

The chances of Hamilton having no bad luck or making a vital mistake in them 6 races are low I'd imagine yet he's at a woefully short 10/11 to win the WDC.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

I'd imagine Rosberg has a decent shot of beating him once or twice, they're typically fairly close on race pace.

Its likely at least partly a response to a lot of money placed on Hamilton after the race.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:04 pm

Fernando wrote:Barring issues with car Nico only needs to win 1/2 races.

Must admit, I just hope the right & deserving champion wins this thing in 2014, for the good of F1. I think up-to-this point, Hamilton has out-driven Rosberg, so for me, I'd sway towards Lewis being more deserving, especially given the setbacks he's faced & how he's driven superbly to rectify those issues in races like Hungary, Germany & Monza. Rosberg has been consistent but doesn't excite me & still hasn't managed to win back-to-back races & only has four race wins to his name. We've endured the Vettel era & him being generally not a favourable champion, maybe no fault of his own but, if in a nineteen race calendar, Rosberg became World Drivers Champion after winning only five races, in a dominant car, I think people will voice their unhappiness about that. He's already being booed continuously, I think if he did win the WDC, by picking up five wins or so & just played 'happy getting second' behind Hamilton in this run-in, not sure it would go down well.

Just looking forward to a great run-in, twists & turns aplenty & some exciting racing. Whoever wins, I just hope it's deserved & hope this great season doesn't conclude with a farsical ending in Abu Dhabi or continuous mechanical failing on one side of the garage. thumbsup

Last edited by LiamB on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:05 pm

Much like Vettel and Schumacher before him, I doubt Rosberg would give a toss what people thought if he won the title.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

GSC wrote:Much like Vettel and Schumacher before him, I doubt Rosberg would give a toss what people thought if he won the title.

He'd better give a toss what Toto Wolff and the owners of Mercedes think. As was pointed out in the interviews, they are representing one of the biggest brands in the world and if one of their drivers is seen to be tarnishing their image, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to get rid.

That said, I did feel the tiniest smidge of sympathy for Rosberg when he got booed again, after doing nothing wrong (apart from fluffing the first corner twice). Wink

Brilliant drive by Hamilton to overcome the technical gremlins at the start. Drove the perfect race to pressure Rosberg into making his mistakes. While its only a first step in the right direction, you do have to wonder at Rosberg's mindset. If he can make mistakes while leading a race and having a healthy lead in the championship, you wonder what will happen if Lewis can whittle down his lead any further.

Red Bull could yet have a say in the title race - they seemed to fancy their chances at the next couple of races and of course Russia will be a big unknown for everyone (judging from the layout, its not an especially power-oriented circuit).

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Sep 2014, 4:00 pm

They can say what they like. I'll believe they'd chuck a German reigning WDC when I see it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 08 Sep 2014, 4:31 pm

Its not as easy for rosberg to just get those two races the way riccardo is racing.

There will be an odds on mechanical failure to one of the cars as well at least once.. If its rosberg its all to play for..

However Rosberg has made 3 seriously bad errors in his last 2 races- so its not just about the mechanical failures or other drivers- its also whether he can actually stop making mistakes.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:53 pm

GSC wrote:They can say what they like. I'll believe they'd chuck a German reigning WDC when I see it.

Frank Williams was never afraid to let reigning champions go. Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve both had to go looking for new teams the season after winning the title.

Germans are supposedly pretty ruthless/calculating when it comes to making business decisions. Besides, the German public don't seem to love Rosberg the way they did Schumacher and Mercedes can always point to the fact he's half Finnish (regardless of what it says on his passport). Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 10 Sep 2014, 11:35 am

Ferrari's Luca Di Montezemolo is to step down as long-time chairman of the Formula 1 team.

His departure follows a poor season on the track and disagreements with Sergio Marchionne, chief executive officer of parent company Fiat.

"This is the end of an era after almost 23 marvellous and unforgettable years," said Di Montezemolo, 67. "It has been a great privilege."

Marchionne will replace Di Montezemolo, who leaves the role on 13 October.
Ferrari have not won a drivers' or constructors' title since 2008 and are in the midst of their least competitive season for 20 years.

The team had their worst result of the year at the Italian Grand Prix on Sunday when Fernando Alonso retired with a hybrid system failure and team-mate Kimi Raikkonen finished ninth.

It is in stark contrast to their dominance of F1 in the late 1990s and early 2000s when seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher led the team to six consecutive constructors' championships.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 10 Sep 2014, 1:55 pm

Lets hope this is the opportunity they need to sort themselves out.

While LDM apparently did great things for their road-car business, the company's prestige / image is largely based on their racing pedigree...and if that suffers, so does the Ferrari brand.

They need to ditch the theatrics and power games and concentrate on making the team work. Looks like they've made a start with Mattiaci and Marchionne.

F1 can only benefit from a strong Ferrari team - I just hope McLaren aren't too far away from recapturing their former glories either.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

In other news, teams are now banned from passing on technical information to the drivers via radio.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:06 pm

Any technical information? or just other team mates info?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:09 pm

I assume all technical info.

The rule is technically a driver must drive unaided.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:16 pm

If that's the case the drivers will be fuming.

The cars have so many different settings these days...And so many minor problems that seem to need fixing during the race with there engine management systems!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:41 pm

I dont understand why they are doing this at this point in the season. I cant get my head round it. I have found one article on it

http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/9464477/FIA-bans-radio-assistance

No radio assistance at all by the sounds of it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm

Make the drivers do some actual work.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm

The fuel usage could get interesting..

Some drivers are quite heavy on it. I take it the team wont be able to tell them if they are over the limit. Rosberg is quite a bit heavier on the usage than Hamilton.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:55 pm

They'll still have pit boards.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:02 pm

I agree with it to be honest. Things are made so easy for the drivers nowadays, you want to see the driver make the difference, not being told by someone looking at data, where they are going wrong or losing time to their rival, who's driving better. It all falls into the same category, along with tracks being diluted & tarmaced, so mistakes or errors are not punished etc.

I don't think it will be a total ban because it's stopping the viewer & fans being involved & understanding cockpit issues throughout a race, but I do expect some phasing out of key info. Makes sense, at the end of the day, these drivers are paid millions & are supposedly the best drivers in the world, so they should work harder & showcase their individual skills & understanding of how to drive race tracks, without being baby fed data.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm

You can give out pit instructions, and messages relating to safety. Also general messages like motivating a driver etc.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:29 pm

motivational messages hey....

"come on lewis" = push on ,your fuel is fine and rosberg is slower than you.

"lewis you are doing great" = conserve them tyres

"Rosberg- your wife says hello" - press setting C

"Rosberg you can do this" = conserve fuel.

or whatever blah blah..

codes will be used..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:32 pm

No doubt, but if a trend emerges the FIA will step in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 11 Sep 2014, 1:44 pm

I quite like the idea TBH, not sure it's the most important thing that needs changing, but still a good move IMO. Don't like hearing the race engineer giving clear instructions on how the driver should be driving ("use setting C to preserve your rear tyres" etc.), that should be the driver's job.

Undoubtedly we'll see codes used (as we did when we had team orders banned, though "Fernando... is... faster... than... you... Can you confirm you understood the message?"" was probably not the most subtle Very Happy)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:11 pm

GSC wrote:No doubt, but if a trend emerges the FIA will step in.

They can try to, but I think they'll be left chasing shadows as the teams will find ways to stay 1 step ahead.

The possibilities for coded messages are almost limitless...they'd end up having to ban ALL radio comms, which I think the teams would kick up a stink over.

Even then, they can still send messages via pit boards. Incidentally, am I the only one puzzled by the fact they still have the old-style boards, given the technological strides made in most other areas?

If radio comms become that much of an issue, I could see teams developing digital boards that can display any info required, included coded messages.

Personally I think this is ridiculous, as F1 is as much about strategy, as wheel to wheel racing.

Okay, I get that knowing what your team mate or closest rival is doing may not be strictly necessary and may encourage a driver to push as hard as they can, regardless. However, given how complex cars are these days and the multitude of things that can go wrong, I think help from the pits is essential if drivers encounter a problem.

It could be the difference between finding a solution in time and saving the car from damage (and saving a winning/podium/points-scoring position) or fumbling fruitlessly with the controls until the car goes up in smoke.

Somebody needs to give everyone at the FIA repeated slaps with a wet fish...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:12 pm

The boards are for radio failures mainly
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:26 pm

GSC wrote:The boards are for radio failures mainly

I know. I'm just a little surprised they haven't gone digital yet and started using LED/LCD screens or something.

I know they're not necessary yet, but if radio comms do become an issue, I see it being a distinct possibility.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:30 pm

Sadly we haven't invented high quality screens that work under certain lighting conditions.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Sep 2014, 2:33 pm

I guess the old boards are pretty idiot/failproof.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 12 Sep 2014, 12:12 pm

FIA are going to clamp down on coded messages too so shall be interesting.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 12 Sep 2014, 3:42 pm

FIA is to restrict pit-to-car radio messages including information about car or driver performance. GPUpdate.net put some key questions to the governing body to clear up what will and will not be permitted from Singapore.

Q: Will race control first give a warning if a team goes too far, or will there be an instant sanction?
FIA: With a clear set of guidelines, we see no reason for there to be warnings.

Q: Does Article 20.1 of the Sporting Regulations (stating that a driver must drive the car alone and unaided) only apply to the race or also to practice sessions and qualifying?
FIA: It will apply to the entire event.

Q: Is the message that a driver should come in for a pit-stop a breach of the regulations?
FIA: We think that it would be OK to allow teams to tell drivers when to stop for tyres.

Q: Is a warning that the driver is tight on fuel consumption a breach of the regulations?
FIA: Yes, we believe so. The driver should see that on the dashboard (like a fuel gauge on a road car). *

Q: Are warnings about the condition of the brakes or tyres (slow puncture) still allowed?
FIA: No, this should be displayed to the driver from data gathered onboard, again like a fuel gauge.

Q: Are commands such as SOC 3, MIX 5, FUEL 2 still allowed?
FIA: No, definitely not. This is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1.

Q: What about all of the instructions the drivers receive on a formation lap in order to warm up the tyres and brakes, synchronise the gearbox, carry out burnouts and so on?
FIA: None of this would be allowed as again, this is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1.

Q: What about team orders (overtake, do not overtake)?
FIA: This should be OK.

Q: What about information regarding traffic in qualifying and the race?
FIA: This will not be a problem.

Q: Will the radio messages of all 22 cars be checked, or just those on the world feed?
FIA: We listen to and record all the conversations.

Sucks to be RB/Lotus & Williams they don't have the LCD screens on their wheels.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 12 Sep 2014, 3:44 pm

Lotus don't need an LCD screen to tell Maldonado not to barrier it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 14 Sep 2014, 11:37 am

Well, that doesn't sound too unreasonable.

That said, I wonder how easy it is to read those little LCD screens on their wheels when they're hitting kerbs or bumpy parts of a track, or trying to get through traffic while keeping a rival behind them?

I notice there was no mention of if/how these new rules apply to managing mechanical/electrical issues with the car. Will the pits still be able to advise drivers on how to change settings to deal with things like overheating engines/ERS, gearbox issues and electrical/electronic glitches?

If not I think we can expect quite a few more retirements per race.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 15 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

dyre

As far as I can understand it, the team would not be allowed to use the radio to pass a message on regarding settings. As such, the message to Lewis at the start of the last race (where they told him to set the RS mode to 3 while the system reset) would have been outside the rules.

Given the complexity of this generation of cars, this seems a little harsh - probably end up with drivers going out with race suits containing lists of instructions and settings all the way up the arns (some NFL quarterbacks use something similar to understand the different play calls).

I agree with it being illegal to give driving advice (i.e. 'brake later at turn 3'), but otherwise I think the FIA are fisxing a problemm that doesn't exist.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:47 am

F1 messages clampdown, also extends to pit boards too.

Here is the full list:

WHAT IS ALLOWED

- Acknowledgement that a driver message has been heard.

- Lap or sector time detail.

- Lap time detail of a competitor.

- Gaps to a competitor during a practice session or race.

- "Push hard", "push now", "you will be racing xx" or similar.

- Helping with warning of traffic during a practice session or race.

- Giving the gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.

- Puncture warning.

- Tyre choice at the next pit stop.

- Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.

- Tyre specification of a competitor.

- Indication of a potential problem with a competitor's car during a race.

- Information concerning a competitors likely race strategy.

- Yellow flags, blue flags, Safety Car deployment or other cautions.

WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED

- Sector time detail of a competitor and where a competitor is faster or slower.

- Adjustment of power unit settings.

- Adjustment of power unit setting to de-rate the systems.

- Adjustment of gearbox settings.

- Learning of gears of the gearbox (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

- Balancing the SOC [state-of-charge of batteries] or adjusting for performance.

- Information on fuel flow settings (except if requested to do so by race control).

- Information on level of fuel saving needed.

- Information on tyre pressures or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

- Information on differential settings.

- Start maps related to clutch position, for race start and pit stops.

- Information on clutch maps or settings, e.g. bite point.

- Burn-outs prior to race starts.

- Information on brake balance or BBW (brake-by-wire) settings.

- Warning on brake wear or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

- Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car).

- Answering a direct question from a driver, e.g. "Am I using the right torque map"?

- Any message that appears to be coded.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 16 Sep 2014, 12:38 pm

ok so quite a lot is allowed then.

if there is a mechanical issue with the car they can aid the driver with settings and they can give quite a lot of info on the competitors.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:42 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
ok so quite a lot is allowed then.

if there is a mechanical issue with the car they can aid the driver with settings and they can give quite a lot of info on the competitors.

Think you need to take a closer look at the NOT ALLOWED list mysti Wink

Info on stuff like power unit, gearbox and clutch settings, as well as fuel usage, brake temps etc. can be critical. If a driver is having issues with the car and can only guess at what changes they should make, I can see a lot of retirements.

In a way I hope this happens, as this would mess up races and force a rapid re-think.

Sure, there are some things drivers don't need to know, but given the complexity of the cars and the multitude of things that they need to take account of / things that can go wrong, help from the pits can be the difference between finishing a race and going up in smoke at the side of the track.

If I'm reading this right, they can tell a driver about potential problems with a competitor's car...but not with their own? Ridiculous!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm

bang on dyre, with that last sentence.

I'm just hoping there's not a mass of retirements throughout the grid or an increase & it directly effects this championship in some way, for then, the FIA to think, 'sh**', we better go back to allowing all this information & then re-introducing it for the start of next season (which should of happened anyway).

Increase in retirements or cars pulling off to the side, doesn't spice up the show, it just makes you see less cars, less entertainment & for the paying customer, that is pretty shocking. It will end in a big saga all this & then a rapid re-think. I agree, some elements of radio messages shouldn't be allowed but this has just gone too far in my opinion. Once again, the FIA have answered or thought they were solving an issue, that really wasn't being asked or wanted changing to this extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 18 Sep 2014, 12:38 pm

Well, there's a big surprise...

Bernie Ecclestone: I banned team radio advice for drivers

Bernie f***ing Eccleston...AGAIN...

I wish he'd just do the decent thing and take a permanent vacation in the holiday villa Old Nick has reserved for him.

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says he was behind the ban on teams giving drivers advice over the radio.

The 83-year-old said drivers needed to be heroes in the wake of concerns they appeared to be puppets for engineers.

"The drivers are all happy it's gone. They drive the cars, they should know what's wrong and right," he said.

Just shows how out of touch with reality the guy is. They didn't need constant radio comms back when he was driving / managing teams because the cars were nothing like as complicated as they are now.

If he wants minimal comms, maybe he should insist on doing away with all electronic gadgets and hybrid powertains? With simpler cars there's less to go wrong and less need for driver radio assistance.

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso said he did not think the rule change would have much of an impact.

"No big difference for me," the double world champion said. "We never used the radio for performance anyway. At the end of the day, the driver still drives the car. The rule is just to put the drivers in a more alone situation."

Alonso's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen said the biggest concern would be if there was a reliability issue with the car.

"It might get complicated if there is a problem trying to change things to finish the race," the Finn said.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 18 Sep 2014, 1:15 pm

For a change I'm with Bernie on this one. Yes, it might result in a 'mass of retirements'. So what? We want a natural chain of events, not something literally engineered

It's also interesting that Massa, easily the most manufactured F1 driver ever, is the one doing most of the moaning. It was cruel to say that Smedley could have done a good a job as Massa at times, but it wasn't that wide of the mark. Considering Massa's Brazilian samba background, he makes Damon Hill look like Senna at his most daredevil. No wonder he's moaning!!! He'll be knackered with team guidance

I think, particularly when you consider (in 2011)how much Button's 'race management' was praised and Hamilton's just wanting to race, was condemned - we've come far too much in favour of the safe driver. Although ironically this year, that trend is starting to be reversed

No surprises that Alonso has no issue and I'd wager that Hamilton is the same and Kimi's only grip and a justified one is if there's a reliability issue. The Finn's probably jumping for joy given some of his curt messages

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 18 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

dummy_half wrote:dyre

As far as I can understand it, the team would not be allowed to use the radio to pass a message on regarding settings. As such, the message to Lewis at the start of the last race (where they told him to set the RS mode to 3 while the system reset) would have been outside the rules.

Given the complexity of this generation of cars, this seems a little harsh - probably end up with drivers going out with race suits containing lists of instructions and settings all the way up the arns (some NFL quarterbacks use something similar to understand the different play calls).

I agree with it being illegal to give driving advice (i.e. 'brake later at turn 3'), but otherwise I think the FIA are fisxing a problemm that doesn't exist.

But I still think that overall it favors the natural drivers as opposed to the ones that overtly on the technology

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 18 Sep 2014, 2:23 pm

No guys it shouldn't lead to loads of retirements. It states clearly if there is an identified mechanical problem the drivers can be aided in regards to what settings they can use.

Read the bit in brackets..

And to be honest that is the only thing I had an issue with before.

Yes make the drivers drive and learn how to use there settings. But in the case where their car is failing due to no fault of there own help is needed

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 18 Sep 2014, 2:35 pm

It'll lead to as many retirements as it does now.

Glad its happened, tired of drivers being babied through races.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 18 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

mystiroakey wrote:No guys it shouldn't lead to loads of retirements. It states clearly if there is an identified mechanical problem the drivers can be aided in regards to what settings they can use.

Read the bit in brackets..

And to be honest that is the only thing I had an issue with before.

Yes make the drivers drive and learn how to use there settings. But in the case where their car is failing due to no fault of there own help is needed

What bit in brackets?

I saw the bit where it referred to punctures or damage to a car / need to retire, but that isn't the same as a gearbox / engine malfunction that needs sorting out and could potentially save a driver's race.

If its physical damage to the car, resulting from a collision, there's not much teams can do, unless its the front wing. Being able to advise the driver to change some setting to remedy a problem and potentially avoid a retirement, surely shouldn't be against the rules. The teams could show the telemetry after the race to prove there was a problem, rather than just trying to improve performance.

I've re-read it and don't think I missed anything...

banbrotam wrote:
For a change I'm with Bernie on this one. Yes, it might result in a 'mass of retirements'. So what? We want a natural chain of events, not something literally engineered

Thats where you're missing the point...F1 is very much about "engineering" - at least as much as the actual racing.

Those of us who have actually been watching races recently will surely be aware that nearly every race, 1 or more drivers have issues with their cars which necessitate some sort of remedial action.

Someone else pionted out earlier that, under these new rules, Lewis Hamilton's start-line glitch at Monza (related to ERS settings) might well have ended his race, thus pretty much handing the title to Rosberg.

Is this really what we want to see in future races?

I know I certainly do not.

Williams's Felipe Massa rejected Ecclestone's claim that all the drivers backed the change.

"Maybe he spoke to the drivers from the '80s, who do not know what it is like to drive these cars," the Brazilian said. "I'm completely against it. It's something they could have done professionally.

"The cars are very complicated, and this is not related to driving. If the settings are wrong, you cannot do two laps before the car fails.

"If it stays like this, there will be a big fight in the drivers' briefing (with FIA race director Charlie Whiting on Friday)."

Hope the drivers do kick up a fuss and at least get the implementation delayed until next season, if not binned permanently.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 18 Sep 2014, 4:03 pm

"Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car)."

this is one of the most commonly talked about issues between driver and pit team.

say something goes wrong with the cars system and they lose power or downforce- they have to go into a certain setting to deal with it- but the driver isnt aware of what is causing the problem. The pit team will however have a better idea with the data they have.

It happens most races- and the drivers usually finish.

mechanical failure(which is a clearly identified problem with the car) for me(well the way i am interpreting it) could mean any failure within the seriously complex system of the car. which includes the below problem you pointed out. (I may be misinterpreting it). but my take on it is for things like that the drivers can be helped.

"Lewis Hamilton's start-line glitch at Monza (related to ERS settings) might well have ended his race, thus pretty much handing the title to Rosberg."

Last edited by mystiroakey on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next