The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best British fighter not to get a world title fight?

+4
milkyboy
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
spencerclarke
8 posters

Go down

Best British fighter not to get a world title fight? Empty Best British fighter not to get a world title fight?

Post by spencerclarke Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:18 pm

Afternoon all,

Pretty much as it says on the tin. Following on from listening to Steve Bunces podcast, where he suggested that Jamie Moore may be the best british fighter never to get a world title fight, I wondered who you thought is most worthy of this title?

Cheers

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Best British fighter not to get a world title fight? Empty Re: Best British fighter not to get a world title fight?

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:32 pm

chin Defo cant be Jamie Moore

I'll have a think...

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Best British fighter not to get a world title fight? Empty Re: Best British fighter not to get a world title fight?

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

Bert Gilroy was an excellent fighter back in the day, did not even get a British title fight. Len Johnson was also a terrific fighter, denied opportunities through his colour. Would argue both of them are comfortably of the level of Moore.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:53 pm

Kirk laing

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:53 pm

I'd certainly put Kevin Finnegan above Moore, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:58 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/09/jamie-moore-shot-spain-recovery

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:36 pm

Kevin finnegan's a good shout, Chris. Fought hagler, minter, kalule and tonna... But never for a title. The fact he lost most of them didn't help, but they all knew they'd been in a fight. Tough guy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 09 Sep 2014, 2:46 pm

Good question, and I think the Milkman and Chris have both come up with excellent choices.

Maybe I could add Gary Mason and Mark Kaylor? Or is that stretching things too much?

Last edited by Atila on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Sep 2014, 2:53 pm

Am I right in thinking Jim Driscoll never fought for the title? If so he must be right up there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm

Was thinking about the Driscoll situation, Rowley. By the letter of the law I guess he qualifies here, but he was viewed as the world champion (the European bodies as well as the BBBofC cobbled together some kind of 'world champion' status for him anyway, as you know) in some corners of the globe. I suppose if you try to draw a modern comparison it's no different to shed loads of other fighters these days having 'world champion' status when really they're just the champion of a particular sanctioning body.

I suppose it's a slightly grey area. I think you can bend it either way with a bit of artistic licence.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 09 Sep 2014, 6:49 pm

Milky, kirk laing was Buncy's alternative to Moore.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 09 Sep 2014, 8:10 pm

Oh dear. Hardly great minds thinking alike!!!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Sep 2014, 8:04 am

Herol Graham.. Everything is relative....In an era which had Dewitt, Barkley, 38 yr old Duran, Kalambay, Tate and Jackson as champ how this guy never made it is staggering.....Fast, elusive with a good pop he is the eternal loser....

Should have beat Mccallum....should have beat Jackson and was making Brewer look ordinary...

Pick him to beat the Hagler..Mugabi and Leonard fought....Though I'd pick a peak Marv !!!!!..

Never heard of the guys Rowlo picked..That's praise indeed for those boys...

Colin Jones gets an honorable mention...

My knowledge of Brits is from the late 80s onwards so I'm not best to offer up too much..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Sep 2014, 10:02 am

An honourable assessment of bomber graham truss... But the thead was about guys who didn't get a world title shot... Graham had three.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Sep 2014, 10:06 am

Oh yeah......

Paul scrap iron Ryan....Loved watching that little guy

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:25 pm

In an age where the local garbage guy gets a shot at the world crown .....plus chumps like Valuev and the like win a piece of pie..

One has to lament sadly departed Gary Mason not getting a shot........Unfortunately Lewis, Holy and Tyson were around him in the last serious Heavyweight era...

RIP old boy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 11 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

When you see some of the mickey mouse world champions today it really is a shame for some of those listed above to have not even had an opportunity.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down