The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card)

+22
horizontalhero
KingMonkey
Seanusarrilius
DuransHorse
Mr Bounce
catchweight
milkyboy
jimdig
Herman Jaeger
captain carrantuohil
hampo17
terryaki01
TopHat24/7
Dipper Brown
Adam D
Strongback
BallchinianMuffwig
88Chris05
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
Soldier_Of_Fortune
hazharrison
26 posters

Go down

Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card) Empty Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card)

Post by hazharrison Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:29 pm

I think Eubank wins this. Thoughts?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card) Empty Re: Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card)

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:40 pm

Was about to post this!!!! Laugh

Be interesting to see how the step up effects Eubank. To be honest can't quite pick a winner just yet.

Wonder how the bookies have this.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card) Empty Re: Eubank Jr. vs Billy Joe Saunders (Fury vs Chisora 2 card)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:44 pm

Good stuff.....Come on Billy boy

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:45 pm

Cracking fight really looking forward to it

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:50 pm

Warren had to come up with something to sell this bill. This will be brilliant. The build-up will be cracking. Saunders will be apoplectic come the first bell.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:52 pm

Noticed no one has picked a winner yet Laugh

Am going to stick my neck out and go for Eubank censored

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 3:56 pm

Saunders should win this, really. He's a very good all-rounder and has been putting on good shows against far better opposition, and over a longer span of time, than Eubank can boast.

My concern with Saunders is that he still just looks like a Light-Middle who can't / won't cut that extra bit of weight, whereas Eubank Jr is a so-called 'Middleweight' so far only in name. Pretty sure he's tipped the scales at 163 / 164 for the majority of his fights. There's question marks over Eubank Jr's chin, basically because he's not been in with anyone good enough to really put it on him yet, but Saunders is more of a stinging, hurtful puncher than a genuinely big one. If he can't deter Eubank Jr he might be in bother and possibly find himself getting walked down later on. Saunders has the boxing skills whereas Eubank seems like a good, strong athlete and not much else so far in his career.

Saunders said last year that if he even went four or five rounds with Eubank he'd retire, never mind if he actually lost to him, so a bit of pressure on himself there!

Saunders should be a pretty big favourite but I think he's plateaued a little in his last few fights. But Eubank Jr is still basically living off his dad's name in relative terms and it'd take a pretty big leap of faith to back him, given that he's stepping up so much here. I'll take Saunders by comfortable decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:00 pm

Reason behind my thinking was as you have said Chris, Saunders looks like he can make 154 whereas Eubank would cut to make 160 and will probably be a career 168.

I think this would become a factor in the fight.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:13 pm

Tremendous news

Hard to tell where jr is when he's been fighting guys brought in to make him look a force. If Saunders had jr's conditioning, I'd be picking him to win 10 times out of 10, not sure though.

Hope BJS embarrasses him but it could go horribly wrong if Jr is as good as he tells people he is.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm

Billy Joe for me....Beaten better fighters...More experience and better all round...Eubank is unproven...

The Captain would agree with me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Billy Joe for me....Beaten better fighters...More experience and better all round...Eubank is unproven...

I agree with you so you may be right this time!

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:46 pm

Has this been confirmed or is Frankie just looking for a bit of attention?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:53 pm

Its about as confirmed as Chisora v Fury 2. Whether it will happen.....

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/9471819/rivals-billy-joe-saunders-and-chris-eubank-jr-to-clash-in-November

Young middleweight stars Billy Joe Saunders and Chris Eubank Jr will meet on the undercard of the Tyson Fury-Dereck Chisora bout on November 29.

The undefeated rivals have swapped insults over the last couple of years and will now get the chance to sort out their differences in the ring.

Saunders, who won Olympic gold in Beijing in 2008, will be defending his European title for the first time against Eubank Jnr, after taking it from Italian fighter Emanuele Blandamura in July, and he will be looking to improve his record to 21-0.

Eubank Jnr has been equally impressive in his professional career so far, knocking out 12 of his 17 opponents including the last nine, but Saunders will represent his toughest test so far.

The son of the legendary Chris Eubank has been training alongside Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas.

Promoter Frank Warren said: "This is a fabulous fight between two undefeated British fighters and it has all the ingredients to be a thriller.

"Both men have wanted the fight and I'm delighted that it's going to be on the same show as another big domestic feud between Chisora v Fury.

"Saunders has done everything asked of him so far winning British, Commonwealth, WBO Intercontinental, and European titles and as he's shown, the better the opponent the better he performs. This will certainly be the case against the young Eubank Jnr and he'll take his game to another level.

"While it was unfortunate that Saunders missed out on a shot at the WBO World title recently, I'll be applying to the WBO for this fight to be made an eliminator for the World title."

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 5:08 pm

BJS did not win Olympic Gold.....

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 15 Sep 2014, 5:12 pm

Bit cheeky putting it on in London isn't it? Were the people who bought tickets for the Manchester fight offered refunds after Chisora and Fury pulled out? Hope so.

This fight adds more quality to the card though. Hope Eubank Jr fills him in.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 5:22 pm

Six years since Beijing and no title shot...Seems a lifetime.....1984 Olympians all had belts or shots three years in...and there were less belts...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 5:30 pm

Great news if so, one of the domestic dust-ups I've most been looking forward too.

Backing BJS for this one, don't think he's got the power to take Jr out but will be busier and take rounds that way.

BJS 116-112.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 5:36 pm

At least young fighters and their promoters are not afraid of one of them losing their record early in the career.  Normally these get spoon fed bums to bulk up their record.  Fair play to this lot for making the fight,although this is what should be the norm.

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 6:10 pm

Apparently Bellew vs Cleverly is going to be on the same night as this show. Decent night of boxing to look forward to.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 15 Sep 2014, 7:01 pm

Thta'd be rubbish if they have rival cards on the same night. Can't imagine many will choose Bellew vs Cleverly over this one mind you.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 15 Sep 2014, 7:09 pm

Well, that's made my boxing year, just about. As Truss hints, I'm a convinced advocate of the ability of BJS, which I honestly believe to be a level above that of Eubank jr, from what I've seen. He does look as though he carries a little surplus avoirdupois at times, Billy, but he's a sweet boxer, has a bit of grit and can even hit sharply, particularly early, as that mystifyingly highly ranked Australian, Fletcher, could testify.

For me, it wouldn't be a total surprise if BJS were to catch Eubank cold, but I'd be more inclined to favour a decision win of something like the magnitude indicated by Top Hat, or even a little clearer.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 15 Sep 2014, 7:21 pm

I fancy Eubank. I have a bit of a blind spot on Saunders -- I just don't "get" him.

Eubank meanwhile has been playing in most of his fights. I think he'll surprise a lot of people (and make me a few bob in the process).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 15 Sep 2014, 7:22 pm

Now that's what you call a fight.

And exactly what the poster said above for me. Fair play to this lot and hope both fighters go on to do good things no matter what now.

It's just a great match up when you've got two fighters, one proven the other unproven, both talked of as future world champions.

If Saunders wins this then I think he's going to be very good, if Eubanks wins then I think they can move this lad very fast.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 15 Sep 2014, 8:48 pm

Fricking great news, had no interest in Fury v Chisora, funny how a great little scrap like this with genuine niggle can turn the card into a great night of British boxing. Good on you Frank, now promote the crap out of it.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 15 Sep 2014, 9:20 pm

[quote="Strongback"]
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Billy Joe for me....Beaten better fighters...More experience and better all round...Eubank is unproven...

I agree with you so you may be right this time![/quote]

Frame that and stick on the wall in the v2 HQ

I hold the opposite view to most on Saunders in that I liked him at the Olympics and picked him as the one whose style would lend itself best of the bunch in the pro's. I've been a little disappointed in him. He's good but seems to lack that X factor.

Eubank is, well, such a Prat in the ring its hard to know how good he is or could be when he fights someone any good. I guess we'll find out. Not a fight id bet on. If Eubank was as good as he thinks, and his famous sparring partners have told us, then you'd think he'd have enough to win, but if he truly has it, he's kept that talent well hidden when I've watched him fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 15 Sep 2014, 9:24 pm

Il take Eubank in this although Saunders is probably getting him at a good time.

Warrens shows have tended to be marathons of quantity over quality with cards starting as early as 5 or 6 and the main event not starting until 11 or 12. Hopefully this will buck that trend.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 15 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm

I can see this being a bit of an up/down fight and genuinely can't pick a winner. Gun to head? Saunders. But I won't bet on it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 16 Sep 2014, 9:49 am

Saunders should be favourite but I want Eubank Jr to win. I'm warming to him again and think if he becomes a known name he might rile people up a bit and stir emotions like his dad in his prime.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:25 am

I wouldn't get too excited about this, Gary Hyde has said one of his fighters is mandatory for Saunders EBU title and they aren't stepping aside.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 16 Sep 2014, 12:22 pm

I have to go with Eubank. I know he has fought a lot of pap, but I feel like he has another level that BJS won't be able to go to. I also think BJS lack of power will hurt him. Eubank can be hit, but he looks strong, so may be able to soak it up and dish it out. That said, BJS has mixed at levels above Eubank. Great fight if it comes off.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 16 Sep 2014, 12:41 pm

Tempted now to get tickets for this but really don't fancy the marathon efforts that have been seen at the Copper Box. £45 for tier seats is a bit punchy but the Excel should be rocking.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:04 pm

hampo171 wrote:I wouldn't get too excited about this, Gary Hyde has said one of his fighters is mandatory for Saunders EBU title and they aren't stepping aside.
The ebu doesn't matter a jot though to the promotion. This is being billed as a wbo title eliminator. C'mon hampo get on board optimism train.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm

It's a EBU title fight mate, sounds more like Warren shooting the gun than anything else.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:59 pm

I have a hunch that Eubank wins this, with shades of his old mans fight against Benn. Benn was more experienced, had been in with better opposition, but Eubank's supreme confidence, and rock hard chin carried it.
The other factor for me is that Jr has trained with the like of McCallum and Mayweather, sparred with the likes of Groves and Froch- it may just be that those experiences will be the ones that matter more than those gained in his fights to date.
Either way credit to both for taking this fight- and a lose for either man will be nothing more than a learning experience at this stage of their careers.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:10 pm

I think he would drop it. Hes got a high enough WBO ranking anyway.

Wouldn't fancy BJS against Korobov or Andrade

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:16 pm

horizontalhero wrote:I have a hunch that Eubank wins this, with shades of his old mans fight against Benn. Benn was more experienced, had been in with better opposition, but Eubank's supreme confidence, and rock hard chin carried it.
The other factor for me is that Jr has  trained with the like of McCallum and Mayweather, sparred with the likes of Groves and Froch- it may just be that those experiences will be the ones that matter more than those gained in his fights to date.
Either way credit to both for taking this fight- and a lose for either man will be nothing more than a learning experience at this stage of their careers.
They said that about Groves/Degale and Chunky's career took a nosedive afterwards

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:28 pm

Saunders will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:30 pm

Liam Walsh vs Gary Sykes been added to the bill too. If the proposed fights all go ahead it'll be a decent card in my opinion.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:30 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:I have a hunch that Eubank wins this, with shades of his old mans fight against Benn. Benn was more experienced, had been in with better opposition, but Eubank's supreme confidence, and rock hard chin carried it.
The other factor for me is that Jr has  trained with the like of McCallum and Mayweather, sparred with the likes of Groves and Froch- it may just be that those experiences will be the ones that matter more than those gained in his fights to date.
They said that about Groves/Degale and Chunky's career took a nosedive afterwards

But he has since come back successfully and is on the brink of a world title shot- at the end of his career I doubt we will be saying that " if only he hadn't lost to Groves...." , and if he had won, it would have probably seen him fight for a title before he was quite ready for it - like Watson receiving his shot against McCallum for beating Benn, when wasn't quite ready to make that jump in class. Benn losing to Watson didn't do him any harm in the long run, and I doubt that the loser of Saunders v Jr will suffer for it either.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:48 am

DAVE667 wrote:

In his following fight he became Euro Champ so i would not say it took a nose dive after. A combination of promoter issues and injury made it nose dive for a while.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

Don't normally agree with Tunes, but I'd say his view is a fairer one here. The loss reduce his impetus, but the 'decline' was more due to promotional issues than anything else.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:22 pm

Degale's main problem was that he couldn't sell a ticket, even Matchroom don't seem to want to put him on a card headlining, unless it's a major A Side like Froch.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm

OH and by the way this is one of the best fights domestically this year, full credit to Warren for this one if it is actually true. But truth be told is it just me or does NO ONE seem to care about Chisora Fury 2...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:37 pm

I think this fight is more interesting than those two puddings Fury and Chisora.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:34 am

Agreed, Dipper.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down