The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions for boxing author Alex Daley

4 posters

Go down

Questions for boxing author Alex Daley Empty Questions for boxing author Alex Daley

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:43 am

Chaps,

The next addition of the v2 magazine will be featuring my review of Alex Daley's recent book, 'The Fighting Men of London' which I've just finished reading. As you'll all probably know, Alex is an active user of the site, so between us we thought it would also be a good idea to include a Q&A with him, which Alex has kindly said he's happy to do - so if you have any questions for Alex, please post them below and I'll get them over to him by the end of the week.

They can be about the book, his inspirations behind it, the state of boxing literature in general etc - if we can get a decent set of questions it would be a really worthwhile addition to the mag.

Fire away if you like, everyone. Ta.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Questions for boxing author Alex Daley Empty Re: Questions for boxing author Alex Daley

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

Good work Chris, have not read his new book, but cannot recommend Nipper, his first book highly enough.

Which boxers would you like to see biographies on, which are not currently available?

I have, very occasionally, toyed with the idea of writing a book, where do you start and what advice would you give anyone looking to start?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Questions for boxing author Alex Daley Empty Re: Questions for boxing author Alex Daley

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

Any other takers, for this? Don't want us writers supplying Alex with 80% of the questions!

What's your favourite boxing book by another author?

What specifically sparked you in to writing this most recent book?

What do you make of boxing literature as a whole? Do you think it's lagging behind other sports in that respect due to the marginalisation of the sport over the last twenty years?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:46 pm

Ask him If he's read any of my articles and If he has
..Am I one of his inspirations..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

Is he Alex Daman and will he give us one of his famous raps?

Any biog you wish you'd written?

Any biog you've read and thought "This could be so much better?"

"No Ordinary Joe?" Can you polish a turd?

Is there the temptation to go down the "popular route" and churn out drivel relating to the latest darling of the scene or do you strive to maintain your altruism and pick fighters/subjects that may not gain wider recognition?

The guys on TalkSport mentioned "The Graveyard of Literary Dreams" citing a windowsill in their offices where every sports bio that comes along gets slung without ever having a page turned. Have you every encountered such levels of indifference from fellow professionals?

Even if you're not Alex Daman, can we have a rap?

PS "Fighting Men of London" could have been called "Savaloy Punchers"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:11 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

Is there the temptation to go down the "popular route" and churn out drivel relating to the latest darling of the scene or do you strive to maintain your altruism and pick fighters/subjects that may not gain wider recognition?

If he writes an Ali book I may hunt him down and cause him physical pain. I like the bloke as much as the next boxing fan, but what more can there possibly be to say on the subject. I spoke a collector of boxing books about this. He has a collection of over 4000 books and said he checked once and without even making a conscious effort to collect book on Ali he had well over 100. As a bit of a collector of boxing books the sheer amount of books on the same subject annoys the hell out of me. Nigh on 300 books available on Ali but not one on Benny Leonard, Abe Attell or countless other worthy subjects.

Rant over.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

Find it infuriating that we had the biographies of Audley and Amir seven minutes after they'd won Olympic medals but done nothing of note to warrant a book. What's chapter three about Amir, my first paper round?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:23 pm

Someone once told me Dave to never buy a sporting biography by anyone, in any sport, until they had finished their career. It is extremely good advice.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:25 pm

Rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

If he writes an Ali book I may hunt him down and cause him physical pain. I like the bloke as much as the next boxing fan, but what more can there possibly be to say on the subject. I spoke a collector of boxing books about this. He has a collection of over 4000 books and said he checked once and without even making a conscious effort to collect book on Ali he had well over 100. As a bit of a collector of boxing books the sheer amount of books on the same subject annoys the hell out of me. Nigh on 300 books available on Ali but not one on Benny Leonard, Abe Attell or countless other worthy subjects.

Rant over.

Supply and demand WTF is interested in Abe Attell..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:27 pm

Me, fascinating character, brilliant fighter, but with plenty of controversy around his career and outside of the ring was involved in fixing the World Series. Would make for a brilliant read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:28 pm

Rowley wrote:Someone once told me Dave to never buy a sporting biography by anyone, in any sport, until they had finished their career. It is extremely good advice.
We may have to wait a while for the one on Bernard Hopkins then?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:31 pm

Sure he's a fascinating guy Mate...But the idea is to commission a book or write one to make money....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sure he's a fascinating guy Mate...But the idea is to commission a book or write one to make money....

The Tyson Fury pop-up book where you can make him uppercut himself in the face should be a best-seller then

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

I'll reserve a copy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sure he's a fascinating guy Mate...But the idea is to commission a book or write one to make money....

Not always mate, there are plenty of books out there done just for love of the subject. I personally have books on Young Stribling, Mike Mctigue, Jimmy Barry, Jimmy Clabby and Billy Soose amongst others, struggle to imagine any of those guys are any more commercially viable than Attell, or are guys who had publishers falling over themselves to secure the rights.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 3:03 pm

Why don't you research and write one..

Labor of love and all that.....

I was a straight A History student...I was going to become a Teacher but went down the psychology route..

Worst mistake I ever made...Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 4:43 pm

Right, thanks for the questions lads. I'll be emailing them over to Alex tonight, so if anyone wants to add anything then try to do it in the next hour or two.

Ta.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 03 Oct 2014, 7:56 pm

What draws you to boxing history? What decade did you first get into boxing?

Your latest book revolves around London, are you a born and bread Londoner? How would you compare boxing in London today with the 1940-1980's.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down