Kurt Angle talks about retirement

Go down

Kurt Angle talks about retirement

Post by Adam D on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:48 pm

Courtesy of TNAsylum - http://www.tnasylum.com/2014/09/kurt-angle-reveals-retirement-plans.html

Kurt Angle spoke with Alternative Nation about a variety of topics. Below are the highlights:

What’s next for you in your wrestling career?

"I can’t really say who I’m going with yet or what company I’m going to sign with. I am going to sign, but I’m going to just sign for one year, and that’s that. I think I’m pretty much done, I’m just going to have the best year I can have. Hopefully it’ll be my best year, then I’m going to retire."

What do you think you’ll be doing for the remainder of the year? Will you appear at Bound For Glory and do more with TNA, or are you basically done with them?

"I don’t plan on doing anything until January, so pretty much my contract will expire, and the next one will start in January. My knee has a lot to do with it, with my rehabilitation I won’t be cleared to wrestle until January. I did TV’s for the next 2 months, we just recorded them last week, so I will be doing more with TNA. My decision to go with the company I’m going to go with, we’re going to pretty much have a press release and set up a press conference, that will be in the next few weeks. The contract should be done, signed, and completed. I will not be at Bound For Glory due to contractual disputes. But the company I’m going to go with, I’m going to give them my best year. I’m going with the company that really wants to take care of me."

What type of schedule do you foresee doing for your final year in the business? Will you be full time just going completely at it, or for select matches, part time?

"I went with the company that was going to really emphasize what I wanted, and that was a limited wrestling schedule. I would say no more than 40 dates a year, that’s what I wanted, that’s where I feel I am at in my career right now. That’s a lot of the reason, like I said, the company that I’m signing with is a company that really wanted to take care of me, both from a wrestling standpoint and a financial standpoint, and I’m very happy with it."

When it comes to TNA’s taping schedule, did you find the recent one kind of weird, with 2 months of TV being taped, even after Bound For Glory. Do you find it kind of weird that you may be on TV after your contact having expired with TNA?

"I don’t find it weird, I think TNA is in a stage right now – there a lot of rumors on the internet and social media about TNA not having a TV deal domestically. I don’t think it’s an issue of a network not wanting them, I think it’s an issue of where they want to go, where they will be best promoted, where they can expand more worldwide and internationally, with a network that is domestic. I believe that they have a few different offers on the table, they are just trying to be very discreet about which one they want to go with that will be the best fit for them.

TNA signed a deal with UTA to be their representative, and I think it was a great move. Before they just did the deals by themselves, and they needed someone to show them that they had more value, and that they should be a little more choosy about what they do. Not that Spike is a bad decision, but I think the promotion for TNA could be better. We’ve had a great run with Spike, and whether we continue with them or not, it’s really about how the network can promote TNA, outside of just the TV show."

How has management been communicating with you guys regarding the TV deal? Who has been communicating with the talent regarding the status of the TV deal, and letting talent know that negotiations are going on? Has it been Dixie Carter or John Gaburick?

"Well at the TV’s we just did, Dixie Carter and ‘Big’ John Gaburick sat the talent down and eased their minds a little bit, because I think a lot of the talent were a little bit confused and nervous regarding what was going on. I had a private sit down with Dixie, she reassured me of what was going on, and what her plans were. It was a good meeting, it was a very positive meeting. She just knows that the next deal that they sign really has to help benefit TNA, in every regard.

When it comes down to it, it is about money, and it is also about how you can get promoted on that network. I won’t say that Spike did a bad job, but I will say that Spike could have done better. If it is going to be Spike, and I don’t know, because Dixie really wouldn’t say who it was, they’re going to have to do a better job. I know that that’s where TNA is right now. They’re in a period where they’re budgeting because they don’t have the money from the network to pay for the TV shows. I believe Panda Energy is funding the show right now, so yes, we’re going to have to do TV tapings in the same city 2 or 3 days at a time until we get to the point where we can go live again, and that will be when the TV deal is done."

You mentioned that you think that Panda Energy now are funding a lot of the shows. To your knowledge, were Spike ever funding part of your contract?

"No, Spike was never funding my contract. It was all done through TNA and Panda Energy. I know there are rumors that they were, obviously due to the amount that I was getting, but I don’t believe that Spike was funding anybody’s contract. I heard rumors that they were funding Hogan, Sting, and myself, but as far as I know from my perspective, I know where my paychecks came, and they didn’t come from Spike."

So what is everyones thoughts - where is he going?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kurt Angle talks about retirement

Post by Samo on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 4:58 pm

Got to be WWE. He wouldnt be so hush-hush if it was TNA again, and with all due respect he's above the Indy scene at this point.

Based on past WWE legend returns I cant stay optimistic about it, all thought I will mark out like Frak.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

(Putting aside the obvious out of ring issues) What's his relationship with Jarrett like?
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:58 pm

Think his and Jarrett's feeling are now water under the bridge, infact their last feud in 2011 (Is that correct?) was probably the last meaningful thing Kurt did in terms of wrestling...

From reading that article, the only thing that jumps out WWE is the under 40-dates thing. There's a couple of guys on similar deals but from what I've read, and I must stress read on dirtsheets, WWE don't seem to be interested in Kurt anymore and wouldn't pass the medicals.

I've seen a lot of speculation of various threads across numerous websites and the standouts appear to be NJPW, ROH and Jerrett's new promotion GFW. Selfishly, I would love to see Kurt step into an ROH ring, he along with Styles could be the poster stars that really push them into national attention next year.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm

Well, from the sound of it, it seems like he's done with TNA - nice that he seems to be parting on amicable terms.

He talks about his new contract being with a promotion that will "take care of him" financially, as well as in the ring, which I think we can take to mean he'll be getting a sizeable paycheque.

Who else, besides WWE could afford someone like Angle, especially with a reduced schedule?

I'll wish him all the best wherever he goes. I've enjoyed watching him on TNA, but like anyone else, he has to do whats best for himself and his family.
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:31 pm

The more I think about it, I think he is staying.

I think that he will announce his re-signing at the same less conference as for the new network deal.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 8:39 pm

What would he do in WWE? Come back, win the title (like Lesnar?), then put over someone like Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns etc by dropping the title and retiring? Or would he go a completely different route?
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs with Bryan, Rusev, Shield members and Punk if he returns are appealing if Angle if healthy. 

I'm with Adam though. He's staying in TNA, but only cos he's not wanted by WWE. Shame if that happens too.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:36 pm

I think the WWE will want to put him in the Hall of Fame and I think they'll know they can get a good year out of him and can give his programs the hype they'll deserve if he's only doing 40 dates a year.

he could pass any wellness test as long as he has a genuine prescription for everything he is on

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by XR on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 8:32 am

I would love to see Angle wrestler matches against Daniel & Cesaro

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:41 pm

Possibly it's a money issue with WWE. I think dave Meltzer mentioned on the Ross Report last week that Angle had phoned HHH and told him what his contract was worth with TNA which provoked the response of 'you should probably stay there then'. Meltzer hinted that HHH didn't believe Angle and that he was just posturing for big money.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 3:15 pm

Hmm.

So in the next few weeks we can expect to see Angle on WWE announcing he has replaced HHH? Laugh

dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

Id love him to go to WWE, I think they could manage him and make him a huge deal, but I just don't see it happening.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 7:16 am

Saw a picture on FB today about the best SD stars in celebration of its 15th anniversary and Angle was in the picture. Coincidence or is this a clue that Angle has signed with the WWE again?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 1:29 pm

Or it could just be the fact that he was one of the best SmackDown stars in the past 15 years?
Pretty sure that picture was part of their "15 greatest Superstars ever to take their talents to the blue brand" list.
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum