The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning*

+9
lags72
bogbrush
Henman Bill
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
TRuffin
Born Slippy
socal1976
It Must Be Love
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning* - Page 2 Empty Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning*

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:47 am

First topic message reminder :

This forum has seemed not very busy lately, I realised why when I observed I haven't seen many posts as I usually do complaining that the thread they're posting on is not worth posting on.

Anyway so I went into the underworld of the ATP website specifically to find something that everyone would berate and rage at me for- and quite incredibly I think I've found it.
Now before we continue I must warn that the gold-dust I've discovered is not suited to anger everyone. There may be some people who read this and calmly get back to watching cat videos on youtube and commenting 'FREE US FROM THE EUUSSR' on the Daily Mail comments section, or whatever people do in their free time these days. If that's the case, just imagine this article is written by Hawkeye, these statistics are simply part of a greater article that seems really irritating but you can't fully read (and then berate) as it's behind a PPV wall, and Hawkeye's smiley faces are littered over this article.

Right, swiftly moving on:
NADAL AND FEDERER HAVE EQUAL NUMBER OF SLAMS IF YOU HAVE EQUAL SURFACES

'Has IMBL lost her mind ?' people must be thinking at this stage. Firstly the weird introduction and then this nonsense in capital letters. Well first things first I'm a boy ffs, I don't know why people keep referring to me as a girl.
Anyway, secondly:
Currently the slam breakdown is weighted towards hard courts (clearly), as it has 50% of the slams, while clay has 25% and grass has 25%.

Now let's say I create a fairer situation, where every Slam has 33.3% (1/3) slams; so there are 4/3 slams on each surface- and see how each player does.
(Obviously this calculation is only possible mathematically... I'm not actually suggesting we have 4/3 slams per year on a certain surface).

Nadal-
9 clay slams= on 25%(1/4) of slams on clay
12 clay slams= 33.3%(1/3) of slams on clay
2 grass slams= on 25%(1/4) of slams on grass
8/3 grass slams= 33.3%(1/3) of slams on grass
3 hard court slams= 50%(1/2) of slams on hard court
2 hard court slams= 33.3%(1/3) of slams on hard court

Federer-
1 clay slam= 25%(1/4) of slams on clay
4/3 clay slams= 33.3%(1/3) of slams on clay
7 grass slams= 25%(1/4) of slams on grass
28/3 grass slams= 33.3%(1/3) of slams on grass
9 hard court slams= 50%(1/2) of slams on hard court
6 hard court slams= 33.3%(1/3) of slams on hard court

So added up:
Nadal= 12+8/3+2= 16 2/3
Federer= 4/3+28/3+6= 16 2/3

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning* - Page 2 Empty Re: Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning*

Post by Guest Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:14 am

Not that simple IMBL. Non big players play at lesser events and the media coverage is really limited and non-existent. Some players you can only really follow by results without seeing performances. Stats only paint part of the picture.

I will refrain from threads like so many others have. It's not just the current state of the game that has partially driven my love for it, I was until last year training my nephew playing tennis. He had been playing for years and I did have the assistance of other coaches in my local club and he was enjoying it and playing well and it was a sight to savour seeing him develop. Last year he was struck down with Diabetes Type 1 and this totally knocked the stuffing out of him. He quit tennis because he felt the illness would hold him back. His whole diet changed completely and in some matches he was devoid of any energy and sometimes had to medicate between change overs and this threw him off his stride. A lot of my time now is helping him to live with the illness and overcome his self imposed boundaries. He was 12 when diagnosed and most of my efforts are to help him. So I do feel a bit of resentment towards tennis because he doesn't enjoy it anymore.

Back to top Go down

Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning* - Page 2 Empty Re: Really controversial thread including words Federer and Nadal- *Caution* *Warning*

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:39 am

That's really sad to hear, I wish him best of luck with his gradual resumption to playing tennis.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:18 pm

Great post LK. So much so that I am now using it as a practice shorthand passage, such fun.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 08 Oct 2014, 7:14 pm

I do think if clay never existed and Rafa had grown up on fast hard he would be better at it. To come back to an earlier point.

These discussions do tend to get a bit repetitive though.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:38 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

These discussions do tend to get a bit repetitive though.

Well don't join in then Rolling Eyes

I think 606v2 should introduce a new code violation rule. For one rude interruption of a debate on an article with a pronouncement that a 606v2 poster is bored, wants to leave, finds it repetitive, etc there should be a warning. Second time they should be permanently banned from commenting on that particular article. It might teach posters a little manners and allow 606v2 posters who are interested to continue discussions without harassment.

There are lots of discussions that I find mind numbingly boring but I can't imagine feeling the need to jump in and say so. It's just plain rude!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 09 Oct 2014, 1:57 am

I hear Goldfish find it fascinating touring their bowl, surprises around every corner!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 09 Oct 2014, 7:21 am

bogbrush wrote:I hear Goldfish find it fascinating touring their bowl, surprises around every corner!

Well that's exactly the sort of thing that should IMO be covered by a warning. If you don't like a particular article or discussion keep out. You could always go and write about something yourself? Although I've noticed that most of the posters that feel they are qualified to tell others that they are bored NEVER write anything at all. ie they never write an article. They tell others to shut up but don't contribute anything themselves  Rolling Eyes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:14 am

I'm fairly sure bb's comment was meant as a joke. Maybe jokes should only be allowed on a thread for funny 606v2 jokes? After all, nobody wants hang out in places were humour and satire are not allowed, do they?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 09 Oct 2014, 7:24 pm

Agree with Hawkeye's suggestion of warnings and then permanent bans. However I think we need to include past offences. These offences would include excessive articles indirectly slagging off Andy Murray and boring articles chearleading Nadal while adding nothing new to the debate. In which case Hawkeye should be permanently banned at once.I take it as you made this suggestion you will voluntarily leave immediately.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2