The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the season over?

+6
temporary21
invisiblecoolers
It Must Be Love
kingraf
TRuffin
socal1976
10 posters

Go down

Is the season over? Empty Is the season over?

Post by socal1976 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 8:20 am

There are still a huge number of points to play for two more masters and the year end masters left. But is this a problem for tennis in general that most fans basically turn the sport off after the US open final. What can be done. I think the year ender is a great event. Huge prize money, lots of points at stake and a prestigious tournament in London with a shootout among the top 8. But, I don't think many people outside of tennis fanatics care much after the final slam is played. Can there be something done to maintain interest? Tennis is maybe the only sport where most of the big prizes are decided 75 percent of the season through. Do we need to move the USO back? Maybe elevate the year ender to a slam, is that even possible?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Is the season over? Empty Re: Is the season over?

Post by TRuffin Thu 02 Oct 2014, 5:51 pm

For those in Asia- etc- which is a huge market- tennis is still very much being paid attention too.. The interest level is still just as high as the usual in between majors section, ie. masters and 500's.. it's just the pockets where interest is highest have moved away from us.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Oct 2014, 6:58 pm

Well, I mean, you could add an extra slam. I'm sure die hard fans would be quite opposed to the idea initially. But fans always eventually put up with these things. Just look only at boxing. Forty years ago there was only one world champion in eight divisions. Now across the board in total there are 85 world champions. Of course fans were against the multiple organisations, but nobody is going to boycott good match ups just because they believe the importance is contrived. If you put enough good games, with enough top players, eventually... we cave.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 6:25 am

kingraf wrote:Well, I mean, you could add an extra slam. I'm sure die hard fans would be quite opposed to the idea initially. But fans always eventually put up with these things. Just look only at boxing. Forty years ago there was only one world champion in eight divisions. Now across the board in total there are 85 world champions. Of course fans were against the multiple organisations, but nobody is going to boycott good match ups just because they believe the importance is contrived. If you put enough good games, with enough top players, eventually... we cave.

I don't think we can add a slam as it is simply unfeasible, the slams rose up organically in opposition to the pro tour a century or more ago. But what can we do to keep the interest going after we simply end the slam season 3/4ths of the way through? Can we move the slams back to have them finish closer to the end of the season? The weather in New York starts to turn nasty in late September and early october? Or can we pump up the indoor season somehow to attract more attention?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 6:27 am

TRuffin wrote:For those in Asia- etc- which is a huge market-  tennis is still very much being paid attention too..    The interest level is still just as high as the usual in between majors section, ie. masters and 500's.. it's just the pockets where interest is highest have moved away from us.

That is a good point Ruffin, but still most casual fans stop caring when the majors are over, even among regular tennis fans once the USO is finished there doesn't seem to be the incentive to watch and follow the sport as closely. It would be like if in Football the super bowl was played in week 13 and then the last few weeks of the regular season would wrap up after the super bowl.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 04 Oct 2014, 9:57 am

I agree with Socal, I don't think a 5th slam is a good idea.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sat 04 Oct 2014, 5:48 pm

Judging by the mass hysteria of the crowds when Federer arrived at the airport in Shanghai- I think tennis is alive and well presently in that area of the world.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm

kingraf wrote:Well, I mean, you could add an extra slam. I'm sure die hard fans would be quite opposed to the idea initially. But fans always eventually put up with these things. Just look only at boxing. Forty years ago there was only one world champion in eight divisions. Now across the board in total there are 85 world champions. Of course fans were against the multiple organisations, but nobody is going to boycott good match ups just because they believe the importance is contrived. If you put enough good games, with enough top players, eventually... we cave.

Not a bad idea but very unlikely to happen coz Grandslams are not controlled by ATP where as masters are controlled by ATP, I certainly don't think Grandslam commitee controlled by the big four and the ITF would like to lose their grip.

The Last such possibility came when there was question mark over AO and to get it replaced by China or Dubai but even that didn't happen.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 05 Oct 2014, 10:59 pm

Its very much sort of the after tour party at this point. Places that like tennis, but dont get to see it much, like say Asia in particular get to have their tennis season. It does feel very much a wind down, but a 5th slam wouldnt help, it wouldnt hold the same importance.

That being said, this is a good time for some of the bridesmaids of the year to pick up a masters, soo theres at least that...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:21 am

Golf has a similar problem - once the majors are done the interest wanes.  I do not think anything can be done about it; in theory they could maybe try to increase the importance of WTF some more - more money, more players, more proper tournament.  But where would the money come from?  Plus, players are also getting tired, do they really have stomach for another really major tournament?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:34 am

Maybe we should move the AO back to the end of the season right before the tour championship. Whether should be a bit cooler but then we get the problem we had in the past of a very backloaded schedule when everyone is breaking down physically.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Oct 2014, 12:41 pm

I guess in theory the best way would be to have slams 3 months apart, thought that causes havoc with getting slams done during summertime, when interest in the country is at a high

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

I just like a blockbuster finish, and while the year ender is great it doesn't include the whole field and doesn't have the same pull as a slam. My ideal schedule would an AO followed a week later with the year end championship. Now that would be a blockbuster month of tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 06 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm

Not enough time in between especially at the end of the season. Way too much for them.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:04 am

Well if you moved Paris and Basel there would be plenty of time for it Luv Sports.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:41 am

But the accumulation of the season's efforts would be very draining. Then playing 5 setters, I'm not sure many would be too keen on that.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:42 am

Djoko's insane 2011 broke his body post US Open as well. I know he would be fresher but still I think it's a no-go.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:14 am

socal1976 wrote:I just like a blockbuster finish, and while the year ender is great it doesn't include the whole field and doesn't have the same pull as a slam. My ideal schedule would an AO followed a week later with the year end championship. Now that would be a blockbuster month of tennis.

That would be ludicrous. None of the top players would play the WTF. The option would be to go back to having Oz at th3 end of the year and then having the tour champs as a season opener. However, personally I think the present system works well. Interest is maintained through the race and qualification for WTF.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:59 am

The season is very much dwindling mainly because all the big points have been contested. The Slams are done and the top players tend to wind down a bit, especially if they have DC commitments coming up. This does give the window of opportunity for the lower ranked players to accumilate some points on the back of this. Some players can build a head of steam, like Djokovic last year which served him well to some extent this year when winning a Slam.

It's sad seeing a Masters event with absolutely no fans in the seats! Makes you wonder what South America have to do to get a Masters event.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:25 am

Born Slippy wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I just like a blockbuster finish, and while the year ender is great it doesn't include the whole field and doesn't have the same pull as a slam. My ideal schedule would an AO followed a week later with the year end championship. Now that would be a blockbuster month of tennis.

That would be ludicrous. None of the top players would play the WTF. The option would be to go back to having Oz at th3 end of the year and then having the tour champs as a season opener. However, personally I think the present system works well. Interest is maintained through the race and qualification for WTF.

Move Paris and Basel, to early in the new year during the first stretch of the European indoors in February and move Oz back. That is the only change that would be made. Paris would actually love it as they are an afterthought to the WTF for the big players with a lot of withdrawals and injury pull outs. This way Paris gets to be the first Masters of the season. The AO gets a pump up as well in interest as well. You could even give a two week break between the AO and the WTF.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:32 am

No I really like having AO near the start of the year.
I'd also say after London, move WTF to South America (it was in Shanghai before London)

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:00 am

socal1976 wrote:This way Paris gets to be the first Masters of the season. The AO gets a pump up as well in interest as well. You could even give a two week break between the AO and the WTF.

Mubadala (http://www.mubadalawtc.com/Home.aspx) and Doha, Brisbane, Auckland, Sydney and Chennai would be very unhappy.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 7:03 am

It Must Be Love wrote:No I really like having AO near the start of the year.
I'd also say after London, move WTF to South America (it was in Shanghai before London)

Its not like they are taking a steamship or anything. Melbourne to London direct and two weeks off for jet lag.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down