The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearn's justification. Do you agree?

+19
.aveyard2.0
Lance
kingraf
3fingers
catchweight
Seanusarrilius
DuransHorse
Dipper Brown
jimdig
milkyboy
RanjitPatel
rob-glos
AdamT
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
JabMachineMK2
Derbymanc
wheelchair1991
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hearn's justification. Do you agree? Empty Hearn's justification. Do you agree?

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:05 am

Here is Eddie Hearn explaining to Kugan Cassius why Bellew/Cleverly is on PPV what do you make of his reasoning

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQJefYeEi7c

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Hearn's justification. Do you agree? Empty Re: Hearn's justification. Do you agree?

Post by Derbymanc Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:34 am

Can't see it so no idea what was said, but can't agree with any justification for what is a domestic scrap.

It's a pity as it's not a terrible card and could help build up the sport a little but once again we have a promoter with blinkers on that instead of helping is hindering.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Hearn's justification. Do you agree? Empty Re: Hearn's justification. Do you agree?

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:36 am

He basically said because of the purses and undercard purses especially he neededit on ppv and it will sell as he sold 9000 tickets in one day

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:43 am

Sorry but it can't be justified - he makes out he's going to start from a zero pot? Sky Sports will pay him for the rights to show the fight. His greed has gone to new levels here. Its his fault if he's paying too much to his fighters.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:44 am

Slightly disingenuous argument from Hearn though. He has chosen to stack the undercard. If the cost of the undercard is what is driving this to box office, take a few names off it and keep it free to air.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:49 am

I agree Rowly

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:49 am

My problem isn't the price it's the principle....

If he needs PPV for these two European level fighters...Obviously now Kell is a World Champion he's going to want decent money...

If Daddy doesn't want Boxnation or SKY PPV....Then kids aren't going to be able to see the best British fighters and Boxing in this Country will suffer as a result..

Kids need idols...

I got to see lot's of cable world fights growing up....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:15 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:He basically said because of the purses and undercard purses especially he neededit on ppv and it will sell as he sold 9000 tickets in one day

True PPV events sell out in hours. Look at both the Froch-Groves fights.

(not an attack on you, aimed at Hearn)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

Yeah just to make it clear none of that was my opinion its what he says I personally hope it bombs

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

PPV worthy is Quiqq v Frampton or Foch vs Degale etc. Not this! Decent undercard but still not worthy of the money imo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:34 am

Having seen Hearn's comments I can see where he's coming from but it raises more points than it answers and he mentions the amount of headliners on the bill.

It's been discussed before on here but I think the Matchroom stable is now too big with far too many headline fighters.

So far you have Bellew-Cleverly, Quigg, DeGale, McDonnell, Joshua-Sprott, Stephen and Callum Smith... and more to come apparently.

Matchroom only have a limited amount of dates from Sky and I can appreciate that the normal Sky money for a Fight Night show + ticket sales probably doesn't cover the purses for the above lineup.

But doesn't this mean that we are likely to see a lot more of this because of the sheer volume of big fighters on the Matchroom books?

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:47 am

I hear Quigg is fighting Francesco Rodriguez jr. It's a good fight for him. Probably a decent step up in class compared to his more recent opponents.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:48 am

Ringside should be interesting tonight.

Is the ppv price set at £15 for this too or will they adjust it because of the backlash (that's if they perceive it as a backlash)?

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 02 Oct 2014, 10:51 am

They haven't announced the price yet... Froch-Groves II pushed the price to £17.

Surely they won't put that price tag on this?

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:38 am

If it wasn't already, its clear from the interview that Eddie is seeing how far he can push the boat. He has a large stable, if he can leverage a grudge match, get his fighters on the card in assorted 'title fights' and eliminators in a big show and make money ppv, then this is your model going forward.

He knows what hardcore boxing fans think, and he says that this might be a show for the casuals. If this is a success, then this is what we're getting for the foreseeable future.

Let's be honest, if you can sell cleverley bellew as ppv to the casual there are few fights you can't sell. Sure bellew being gobby helps, but there'll be a few more mediocre journeymen practising their trash talk if this sells. In some respects its a good yardstick for eddy.

He implies it was a late call to go ppv, and Like he says, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you do buy it, you are making hearns decision next time a lot easier.

He's a businessman taking a punt, and he has confidence on the back of froch groves. It's frustrating but will be interesting to see how it sells.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:49 am

Was Haye v maccarinelli sky sports 1?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

Thought that was on satanta

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:Thought that was on satanta

It was Setanta

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

It was on setanta, yeah.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

Thats what i meant haha

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:Thats what i meant haha

It wasn't a dig mate, I was just confirming your post Smile

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:58 pm

No.

The bottom line is European level fighters don't traditionally demand box office/PPV because they aren't good enough to draw the revenue required.  Eddies costs are Eddies problem, if he's paying over the odds for fighters and venues it doesn't mean we should overpay to watch it.  It's up to you if you want to pay but Eddie should have looked at it from a realistic business angle and planned it for what it was, a sky sports 1 fight.  If he wants to stack the card with fights he thinks can justify the price then frankly go for it but again, he's miss-judged as I don't see a big fight on that undercard that could even come close to taking this to PPV so he's failed.  Sometimes as a business man you take the hit with a bad purchase and I think in this case Eddie should suck it up and take the hit, not gloss over his own over-estimation.  What Eddie should have done is had the main headline event and then some decent domestic fights and just put it on one sky sports. Everyone's happy and he's not on about his costs as any decent promoter can haggle that deal and make a decent profit as they do it all the time.

I have to wonder what other countries are making of our current “box office” fight in the UK?  I bet Americans ( the few are aware of the fight ) are thinking we’ve really scrapped the barrel and laughing at us for this one.  Most will rationally think Clev and Bellow lost their last significant fights conclusively and proved they were a long way short of world class at light heavy.  Now at cruiser both have had 2 insignificant and soft “builder” fights and they are Box Office?  How does that even happen, let alone what idiot would pay for it?

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

Has he failed duran? Surely we'll only know when we so how many buys he gets.

I won't be buying on a principle, but for a lot of us we end up biting our noses off to not see a fight(s) we're interested in... on a point of principle... for the Cost of a few pints. Its a price sensitive issue. Invite a few mates round for an evening of boxing and its nothing. The yanks get screwed for $60-70 to watch mayweather's latest patsy. Not defending it, but if sky hammer the marketing at half time of every football match, it'll be interesting to see how many boys nights in they can initiate.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

milkyboy wrote:Has he failed duran? Surely we'll only know when we so how many buys he gets.

I won't be buying on a principle, but for a lot of us we end up biting our noses off to not see a fight(s) we're interested in... on a point of principle... for the Cost of a few pints. Its a price sensitive issue. Invite a few mates round for an evening of boxing and its nothing.  The yanks get screwed for $60-70 to watch mayweather's latest patsy. Not defending it, but if sky hammer the marketing at half time of every football match, it'll be interesting to see how many boys nights in they can initiate.

On the surface it seems obvious to say he's failed given what he's offering as a PPV fight but I'll admit that he may well do good numbers and see this as a success and model for future fights of this level... and that's the problem I have. The repercussions if this is successful is bad for the fans. I can see it being the norm to PPV domestic grudge matches and that shouldn't happen. It will encourage mock rivalry, fighters will probably start take acting classes in order to convince people they really do hate their opponent and therefor a fight is PPV.

I would like to watch this fight, I think it will be goodun, but it's not a fight where I expect the winner to be ear marked as a future star. It is what it is, a good domestic scrap that should be on sky sports.

In general I think Eddie is good for UK boxing but I hope he fails on this one and reins it in a bit.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:12 pm

Agree duran... I said pretty much the same in my earlier post. If you buy this you're proving eddie's business case for the future.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:16 pm

The Bellew Clev rematch simply doesn't demand PPV. If it did it wouldn't be at a 12,000 seater that takes days to sell out. Froch v Groves I sold out in about an hour. The undercard would have to be two deep with world title fights and it isn't.

Quigg v bum and Quigg has no fan base
Degale I am warming to but needs more exposure first
Joshua is a novice

Worried about this. Hearn is starting to do some things that concern me.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 02 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm

The main fight is nowhere near ppv worthy and the undercard isnt even all that special so no excuses Hearn.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 02 Oct 2014, 8:24 pm

Maybe a strong stable and packing cards (without a massive headliner) is Hearns future pv strategy. Decent names have a lot of local support who are willing to buy. Therefore, you can 'spread the card' i.e. have a big name fighting from each of the big cities (one from manchester, one Sheffield, one from Liverpool etc). That would be a top strategy.....thousands of locals from all over the country buying a card in support of their lad.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 03 Oct 2014, 6:31 am

It's a risky strategy that though 3F and I can't see it working. People get bored with watching fighters knock over stiff after stiff and whilst it would be great to see boxers in genuine 50/50 fights a lot of the time I can't see him risking his mid - top level guys like that.
My biggest worry is that Strongy is about to be proven right :-D

Did anyone catch the pressers/ringside yesterday? Dunno if i'm being miserable but the whole Clev/Bellew looked badly stage ('don't sit down, stand up and look at me????')

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 6:45 am

I thought that too i didnt believe it and then sky comparing it to Froch and Groves was silly as well

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:06 am

As staged as when Fury tipped that table over?? Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

The funny thing about this whole thing is that Strongy was so right and so sure of himself, he hasn't even bothered to gloat. That's real!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

Yep Strongy really has excelled himself by showing restraint.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 11:24 am

Yeh, when this came out I imagined Strongy reacting exactly the same as Mackem when Rigo beat Donaire!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 03 Oct 2014, 11:25 am

Give him time Wink

It was bad Toppy, proper cringeworthy some of it too. (I'm sure at some point Eddie went to split them up/tell them to shut up and they were both just sitting there.)

He has let himself down though from spouting that PPV was only for those special fights to PPV is for any fight that is competetive. furious

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 11:36 am

You know what the funny thing is...This promotion will do well because 90% of the people moaning will end up buying it...

A nights boxing for the equivalent of two bottles of chardonnay and Hearn being smart knows this....

606ers won't want to miss it...

Me..I'll probably end up watching Mamma Mia or Titannic for the hundredth time...

Be interesting to see who is commenting on the fight next day and compare their views on here and other threads like it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 03 Oct 2014, 11:58 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You know what the funny thing is...This promotion will do well because 90% of the people moaning will end up buying it...

A nights boxing for the equivalent of two bottles of chardonnay and Hearn being smart knows this....

606ers won't want to miss it...

Me..I'll probably end up watching Mamma Mia or Titannic for the hundredth time...

Be interesting to see who is commenting on the fight next day and compare their views on here and other threads like it..

Gotta give credit to mrs T, how she tolerates your taste in movies I'll never know.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 03 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

Gotta say that i'll be watching it, but only cause it's free onboard. If it wasn't then not a chance.

No point in moaning like ell about it and then lining Ed's pockets so he will do it again.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong...

I'm moaning like hell about it but I'm a massive hypocrite and will almost certainly buy it in the end...

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote: Be interesting to see who is commenting on the fight next day and compare their views on here and other threads like it..

If people want to watch it but don't want to pay then they will find a way. The comments will give no indication of who paid for it.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You know what the funny thing is...This promotion will do well because 90% of the people moaning will end up buying it...

Christ, where are you drinking??! Life really is different up North.........

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:44 pm

Joanne drinks Chablis...We get it for £7.99 in the store near us..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:47 pm

I don't think anyone has been proven right or wrong about Hearn, let alone Strongback. I don't recall anyone ever claiming Eddie Hearn to be a benevolent man of the people, boxing fan first and businessman second despite Strongy's assertions that everyone who frequents this site is a friend or colleague of Hearn. Let's not revise history here.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:48 pm

I'm 100% not buying the fight! I'll look up the result, see what you lot have to say and then I'll watch it when they put the repeat up on sky sports a week later.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Joanne drinks Chablis...We get it for £7.99 in the store near us..

Assumed you meant on a night out!

Surely staying in to watch the boxing, Chablis will still be needed/consumed......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:00 pm

No...A night out is still an expensive experience in Manchester...

Took my Wife on a "Crawl" around Canal Street a while ago (oldest crawlers in the North West)....and it set me back going on a hundred...With some take away chucked in..

Still it saved me watching Three Men and a Baby or more of her stellar collection..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No...A night out is still an expensive experience in Manchester...

Took my Wife on a "Crawl" around Canal Street a while ago (oldest crawlers in the North West)....and it set me back going on a hundred...With some take away chucked in..

Still it saved me watching Three Men and a Baby or more of her stellar collection..
Was that the night you beat up a drug addict?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm

Didn't know him long enough to ask him If he was one...

But I did notice his partner drunk pints...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 3:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No...A night out is still an expensive experience in Manchester...

Each?

If not, that's still little league stuff......... (sadly, for me!)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Oct 2014, 3:11 pm

I'm yawning these days by 11-30..

You can probably go all night...I know your girlfriend can !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next