The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A player who you think should be much better than they are...

+9
Henman Bill
Jahu
Danny_1982
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
LuvSports!
It Must Be Love
temporary21
Guest82
13 posters

Go down

A player who you think should be much better than they are... Empty A player who you think should be much better than they are...

Post by Guest82 Fri 10 Oct 2014, 5:04 pm

I am thinking more lowly ranked players, not the obvious like Berdych or Tsonga.

Martin Klizan for me. I don't think I have ever seen him play a bad match. I know he has had reasonable success in the last few weeks (beating Rafa and running Ferrer very close) but I've been waiting for him to hit the top ten (or even twenty) for a few years now.

Seems to have quite a good attacking game, with some big weapons.

Judging by his (relative) lack of success he must play bad matches, I just dont see them.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

A player who you think should be much better than they are... Empty Re: A player who you think should be much better than they are...

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Oct 2014, 5:15 pm

I guess it depends on how low you want to go. Gasquet is maybe one of the most well noted of them all.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

A player who you think should be much better than they are... Empty Re: A player who you think should be much better than they are...

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 10 Oct 2014, 5:20 pm

Dustin Brown

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 10 Oct 2014, 5:22 pm

Kohlshcriber... How is he not top 15

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 10 Oct 2014, 6:47 pm

Until the last year or so I would have deffo said Gulbis.
Maybe Verdasco, dolgo, tomic even.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 10 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm

Janowicz for one. If he gets a good coach who can control his emotions he'll be a class player. There are some technical flaws in there too to work out such as his slice but that's a shot which can be improved. Other players? Verdasco definitely. He has everything to make a top player, see v Nadal in Australia or v Murray last year but is a bit lacking between the ears. I think Youzhny's underachieved in his career by letting his emotions get the better of him at crucial moments.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 10 Oct 2014, 10:18 pm

Gulbis and Monfils.

With even a semblance of sanity, they could be in the top ten.

Good shout on Verdasco too by LS.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 10 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm

Belluci. When I first saw him I thought top 10 for sure. Possibly top 5. Moves great, can hit winners off both wings, fluid technique... I thought as his game matured and he gained more control he'd find the balance, play the percentages a bit more...

But he doesn't appear to have a tactical approach. And he's a party boy apparently.

Oh, and Kohlscriber. Again, weapons and movement. Even these days, he can put up a fight against the big boys but always comes up just short.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 10 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

Foggy?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 10 Oct 2014, 11:35 pm

Great shout Danny. Another "if only" candidate.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 11 Oct 2014, 3:14 pm

Martina Hingis.

Gael Monfils.

Maybe ALexander Dologopolov.

Just looking at the rankings for inspiration. What's Benoit Paire doing down at 97? He's played enough tournaments, but seems to be getting some poor results.

What's Kohlschreiber's record against top 10? I don't recall ever seeing him once taking a big player apart.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 11 Oct 2014, 3:26 pm

Istomin

Whenever I watch him play I think he could frequent top 20 on a fairly regular basis, yet he never made it there.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 11 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

summerblues wrote:Istomin

Whenever I watch him play I think he could frequent top 20 on a fairly regular basis, yet he never made it there.
Good shout

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 11 Oct 2014, 4:23 pm

I'd rate Gilles. Really, he should be top ten.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sat 11 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

Liking the Paire and Istomin shouts. I remember when Paire was top thirty, I figured on his way to upper reaches.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 12 Oct 2014, 3:31 am

Lopez, Llodra, Golubev, Seppi, Hanescu, Troicki, Tipsarevic, Mayer, Monaco, ...

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 12 Oct 2014, 10:05 am

Why LF?
For me you have chosen some limited players there who actually over achieved. Tipsy and Monaco getting to the top 10 was a farce imo and Troicki close as well ay ay ay.
Lopez about to hit his highest ever ranking.
Llodra (an s and v player) in a baseline dominated time, hard to go high.
Golubev, yes. Very talented, with a lovely shbh.
Seppi I don't see as that great despite taking djoko to 5 sets at the FO but he was awful.
Hanescu meh, mayer I think he's done well.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 12 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

Troicki underachieving? He would surely make a list of players who overachieved based on ability. Lopez has a flaky forehand and a poor backhand, so it's hard to see how he could have done much better.

Of current top 100 players, I would go with Dolgopolov, Almagro, Bellucci and Tomic.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:14 pm

Dan Evans!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down